2200-series - Updates (Retired)

BusHunter

Interesting info. Were the conductors in center like NYC or in the back? How was the farewell 2200 left doors operated and from what position?

All CTA trains with the exception of the Evanston one man shuttles, the Skokie Swift, and the Orange Line opening in 1993 had conductors who opened and closed the doors. The Evanston Shuttles used double ended PCC cars in the 60s which were one-man operations where fares were collected too. The same cars were coupled into trains to operate express to downtown with regular motorman and conductor crews. Identical one-man cars operated on the WNW line, but ran as regular married pairs in trains crewed with two persons. The Orange line opened with new 3200 series cars with full width cabs designed for one man operation. The Brown line had the same equipment and converted to one man operation in 1995 and gradually the other lines were converted. Drop sash windows were installed opposite the motormans' cab and a chain stretched across the aisle until a more permanent cab was fashioned in the three series of cars unequipped with one man cabs. By 2000 the change was system wide. The CTA borrowed the term from the New York system, OPTO, meaning "one person train operation." Where as the term "one man" operation was suitable on the Evanston back in the 60s as there were no female employees in rail service then. New York reportedly has state laws forbiding OPTO on subway trains that exceed a certain length so that's the main reason you don't and won't see OPTO in the main there. Not with their extensive eight, ten, and eleven car subway trains that never get cut down.

CTA just shared a brochure (PDF) that promoted the cars when they were new.

At least now those who talked about those padded seats finally have a photo of them. I wonder who the mystery model is? Just some random face Budd got to showcase the 2200's design like the Price Is Right models showcase the cars. It would've been interesting if CTA got in touch with her for that final run last week. She, technically is part of the 2200's history.

• Upvote 2

Does anybody have a better picture of the tie clip?

Here is a close-up: http://i.imgur.com/ZFezRjW.jpg

("Safest year CTA 1970")

CTA just shared a brochure (PDF) that promoted the cars when they were new.

This brochure illustrates why I love them so much. The 2200 series was Chicago's move of bringing rapid transit in line with the New Bauhaus school established here. There are many firsts that it embodies: large windows, stainless steel inside and out, improved egress/ingress, simplicity, and honesty in materials. All of these were traits of the school of architecture that Chicago pioneered with the International Style of modernism. This brochure is a fantastic midcentury modern treat from CTA.

They were refurbished by the New York Rail Car Corporation of Brooklyn, New York, between 1990 and 1992. That's when some of the original components like Busjack's "Leather" seats were removed

It's funny I can't seem to find any information about NY railcar. Somewhere there was a picture of a #2200 at the factory waiting for rehab. I wonder if they were bought up by Kawasaki. They are based in Brooklyn.

What year were the 2200's rehabbed and the vinyl seats removed?

I'll leave it to others posts on the rehabs. As for the vinyl seats, I took a group of cub scouts on the "Holiday Train/Santa's Express" from Forest Park/Blue Line EB towards downtown in Dec 2009. We then crossed quickly on the Illinois Medical District platform to an arriving WB train and onto a 2200 series train at rush hour - AND IT HAD THE BLACK VINYL SEATS.

I even made a comment to one of the other adults with me, that I remember when these were new when I was these kids ages, and that I thought the Black bench seats were gone years ago. Now I think I may have been on one of the very last cars that still had these original seats.

BTW - I was also shocked because all the seats did NOT have any slash marks in them. They were in great shape - a LOT like that old photo that was taken. Now I wonder how many other cars had "donated" their best seats to have had personally seen this one in service in 2009.

• Upvote 2

Hi JTROSARIO and List;

I don't get to ride the Blue and Pink lines very often and I couldn't remember when the rehab was done.

I think I likely rode the Blue line within the year prior to that rehab and I thought the seats were in good condition.

Therefore, when I rode 2200s after the rehab I was disappointed [because of the plastic bucket seats] :( .

Hi JTROSARIO and List;

I don't get to ride the Blue and Pink lines very often and I couldn't remember when the rehab was done.

I think I likely rode the Blue line within the year prior to that rehab and I thought the seats were in good condition.

Therefore, when I rode 2200s after the rehab I was disappointed [because of the plastic bucket seats] :( .

They were in good condition, but at the time (1991) they knew they would be getting rid of the #2000's, so why not just can these seats too then they don't have to maintain them. I read somewhere, I believe from Andre, that in the 70's the vinyl shop at South Shops was bombarded with vandalized seats and was cranking out alot of replacement seats. So the decision was made then to scrap those kinds of seats. These cars were previous to that, in the era of those seats, so the future caught up to them and they were phased out. Now with no vinyl seats they don't need a vinyl shop do they?

Kawasaki is in Yonkers, last time I visited.

Same difference...it's not as if Yonkers was somewhere upstate near Syracuse, lol. Anyway, someone told me NY Rail Car was bought up by Kawasaki or is a Kawasaki division or subsidiary.

Same difference...it's not as if Yonkers was somewhere upstate near Syracuse, lol. Anyway, someone told me NY Rail Car was bought up by Kawasaki or is a Kawasaki division or subsidiary.

They could have moved them (like NABI moved Optima, and then apparently killed it), but it is curious that the people here have heard of NY Rail Car only in connection with this CTA job. Did they do anything else?