2200-series - Updates (Retired)

BusHunter

I was wondering why I saw a four-car 2200 set heading southbound on Wells St. around noon-ish (maybe a little later, don't remember exactly when I was walking by). At first, I thought it might be a run from Skokie to the Blue Line, but then I was thinking that it would make more sense for the move to be in the opposite direction.

Then I was thinking it might be a charter of some sort, but wasn't sure.

• 2 weeks later...

Doesn't seem like their close to their very last legs yet though since I still see at least two cars of them attached to a Blue Line train often enough. But then again it's still early in their meeting with the scrapper.

Doesn't seem like their close to their very last legs yet though since I still see at least two cars of them attached to a Blue Line train often enough. But then again it's still early in their meeting with the scrapper.

I guess they aren't up to 140 cars yet, but probably will be soon. But given the 6 car train reports, probably will need 210 to replace 140 2200s.

Today there seems to be a pretty good sized pack of #2200's sitting in Rosemont Yard, all together at the west end in two seperate packs, a north and a south (on 3 different tracks, a 6 car, another 6 car, and an 8 car) All with not in service signs. Among them are #2243-44, #2251-#2254 and #2337-38. I couldn't see what the rest of them were.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest DevalDragon

Where are they taking these to be scrapped? You think it would be easier / cheaper to scrap them onsite.

Spotted #2287 on a flatbed truck traveling SB on Harlem today at 9AM at Irving Park. I guess it was on it's way to the scrapper. It's almost like looking at a funeral procession seeing these cars for the last time.

Where are they taking these to be scrapped? You think it would be easier / cheaper to scrap them onsite.

It was previously mentioned (at least with regard to 6000 series buses and L cars that were off the roster for a long time) that they put up an RFP that sells them to a scrap merchant at so much per ton plus or minus the index price for steel scrap. CTA isn't in the scrap business.

So, if they did the same here, it depends who bid.

Guest DevalDragon

Does anybody know who the successful bidder was? Sorry for not being more specific.

It was previously mentioned (at least with regard to 6000 series buses and L cars that were off the roster for a long time) that they put up an RFP that sells them to a scrap merchant at so much per ton plus or minus the index price for steel scrap. CTA isn't in the scrap business.

So, if they did the same here, it depends who bid.

Does anybody know who the successful bidder was? Sorry for not being more specific.

With regard to mismatched rail cars sold for scrap, the link to the solicitation still works, but a search for contract number 103620R in the vendor database doesn't turn up any results. A search for "scrap" turns up pretty much only "scrapers."

Anyone else have a search strategy?

The sucessful bidder was Belson Steel Center Scrap Inc of Bourbonnais, IL and got this information Chicago L.org

I guess you had a better search strategy. The path is Rolling Stock -> Car Roster -> 2200 Series Cars. That's at the bottom of the page, but over the horizontal rule for the "Disposition of..." That also indicates that they are being scrapped at their subsidiary facility in Chicago Heights. From their site, it appears that they specialize in "rail industry" scrap.

Offical source and its VERY RELIABLE

If it is an official source, then you can name it, and don't have to vouch for their reliability.

Otherwise, it is gossip.

BTW, I see that someone named CurrentZ didn't do something he promised to on the Dan Ryan branch thread.

If it is an official source, then you can name it, and don't have to vouch for their reliability.

Otherwise, it is gossip.

BTW, I see that someone named CurrentZ didn't do something he promised to on the Dan Ryan branch thread.

Trust me they are CTA OFFICIALS, why would i reveal my EXCLUSIVE SOURCE, i do that and then NOBODY will find out the ins and outs. Also what did i promise, BUSJACK....Keep it cool please, you have been known to send for me for no reason

Trust me they are CTA OFFICIALS, why would i reveal my EXCLUSIVE SOURCE, i do that and then NOBODY will find out the ins and outs.

CTA official sources generally send out press releases or make statements under the names of Molly Sullivan, Brian Steele, Catherine Hosinski, Steve Mayberry (Stroger's former spokesperson), Rahm Emanuel, or even Forrest Claypool and Brian Steele appearing before the three bloggers.

I don't think that a CTA official source leaks anonymously to someone from Milwaukee. Especially one who has posted his real name on this forum.

Also what did i promise, BUSJACK....Keep it cool please, you have been known to send for me for no reason

I know darn well that you took down the post that precipitated the "@PCC answered you line" of posts, and followed the one I posted about that someone was going to leak the results of the DBE meeting, but not you. In fact, while you deleted that post, you couldn't delete my reply quoting it. Don't try to fool us. That post was that you were going to post the results of the DBE meeting.

• Upvote 1

REMEMBER THIS: THE 2200-SERIES IS NO MORE AFTER DECEMBER 1st 2012, so enjoy them now, because in 5 momths the party's over

That does make sense. I figured myself the Green line should have it's complete fleet of #5000's by Halloween. Maybe a week or so later now. That would give up 94 cars, if they didn't retire any #2400's. If the Red line started getting #5000's the second week of Nov. maybe with it's first #2600 transfer from #5000's maybe a month later, it's possible. They also could transfer some of the #5000's out of the Pink line. (so that could push the date up) Looks like there experimenting anyway with one 4 car set in the rush now. (same cars being used over and over which makes me believe they may be modified slightly to cover the Tower 18 issue) Looks like they want the pink back to 4 cars only. As far as the Red line maybe they could have 150 #5000's by the time the Dan Ryan closes. That may be enough to retire most of the weekend #2400, #2600 service there.

CTA official sources generally send out press releases or make statements under the names of Molly Sullivan, Brian Steele, Catherine Hosinski, Steve Mayberry (Stroger's former spokesperson), Rahm Emanuel, or even Forrest Claypool and Brian Steele appearing before the three bloggers.

I don't think that a CTA official source leaks anonymously to someone from Milwaukee. Especially one who has posted his real name on this forum.

I know darn well that you took down the post that precipitated the "@PCC answered you line" of posts, and followed the one I posted about that someone was going to leak the results of the DBE meeting, but not you. In fact, while you deleted that post, you couldn't delete my reply quoting it. Don't try to fool us. That post was that you were going to post the results of the DBE meeting.

That meeting was private and trust me the source i have is so official, the names you stated aren't people that would reveal information that i would post. Busjack just take this information and run with it. If you want you own exclusives, then please go out and talk to people, i travel and know information that some people would beg for

That meeting was private and trust me the source i have is so official, the names you stated aren't people that would reveal information that i would post. Busjack just take this information and run with it. If you want you own exclusives, then please go out and talk to people, i travel and know information that some people would beg for

Well, it turns out I was right about the first, despite the "@PCC answered that," and if CTA officials are leaking stuff knowing that you are posting it here, it will end regardless of whether you identify them.

In fact:

If there are any CTA officials reading this forum, people are leaking all over it. You are on notice.

Well, it turns out I was right about the first, despite the "@PCC answered that," and if CTA officials are leaking stuff knowing that you are posting it here, it will end regardless of whether you identify them.

In fact:

If there are any CTA officials reading this forum, people are leaking all over it. You are on notice.

CTA officials are not leaking anything to me or anyone else, this is a source. Now, you are taking this over board. This is a fourm for discussion, not a police agency investagating a crime. @ Busjack, it seems that everything i post, you question, why is that? I do know the facts and i do my research before i post EVERYTHING. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to inbox me. If you would like to do a meet and greet, please inbox, because you questioning EVERYTHING that i observe, research or hear and the thing about CURRENTZ_09 is that they do source checking and research before posting anything. If i have documented information, i will post it because i will back-up with i am commenting about.

CTA officials are not leaking anything to me or anyone else, this is a source. Now, you are taking this over board. This is a fourm for discussion, not a police agency investagating a crime. @ Busjack, it seems that everything i post, you question, why is that? I do know the facts and i do my research before i post EVERYTHING. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to inbox me. If you would like to do a meet and greet, please inbox, because you questioning EVERYTHING that i observe, research or hear and the thing about CURRENTZ_09 is that they do source checking and research before posting anything. If i have documented information, i will post it because i will back-up with i am commenting about.

The only thing I am questioning is you assertion of a fact, and when I asked where you got it, relied on the reliability of a CTA "official source." But since you aren't Woodward and Bernstein, you didn't "back it up."

Now, if you had just said that you went to a meeting and someone told you that the 2200s will be gone by the end of the year, I wouldn't have gone further. So don't complain about me pointing out that you tried to bolster the credibility of something improperly.

The only thing I am questioning is you assertion of a fact, and when I asked where you got it, relied on the reliability of a CTA "official source." But since you aren't Woodward and Bernstein, you didn't "back it up."

Now, if you had just said that you went to a meeting and someone told you that the 2200s will be gone by the end of the year, I wouldn't have gone further. So don't complain about me pointing out that you tried to bolster the credibility of something improperly.

Just know this, when you start to observe the 2200-series disappear and the that date gets closer, then thank me, thats all i am saying. When you go to the meetings and have questions about whats happening, then questions. When you are asking questions about whats happenning and management is giving you the run-around and you are getting the scoop from "sources", then question me. Just because i travel from State to State and my hometown is Milwaukee, doesn't make it any different that you live in "I don't know were i stay". If you do live in Chicago, then be more aware of what's happening with the government services that is happening within your community, in this case the CTA. Please, as always feel free to inbox me, i do travel and have no problem doing meet and greets.

Just know this, when you start to observe the 2200-series disappear and the that date gets closer, then thank me, thats all i am saying. When you go to the meetings and have questions about whats happening, then questions. When you are asking questions about whats happenning and management is giving you the run-around and you are getting the scoop from "sources", then question me. Just because i travel from State to State and my hometown is Milwaukee, doesn't make it any different that you live in "I don't know were i stay". If you do live in Chicago, then be more aware of what's happening with the government services that is happening within your community, in this case the CTA. Please, as always feel free to inbox me, i do travel and have no problem doing meet and greets.

Since you don't get the point, that's all I am saying about this.