2200-series - Updates (Retired)

BusHunter

Skokie to Oak Lawn via Cicero wouldn't be possible. The viaducts on Cicero between Wilson and Montrose are only 13 ft. and Cicero is a pretty tight S curve through there.

Since they are coming off the Blue Line, Rosemont or Forest Park are more likely.

Now here we have two different people with two different anaylsis of clearances on North Cicero Ave. Which one is correct???

David Harrison

Actually, there is a City of Chicago source for that. Indicates that at 4500 N. Cicero, the posted clearance is 13'-0", 4820 N. Cicero 13'-2"

So, it appears that, officially speaking, Chicago13 is correct. There might be a case of underposting, or "if you go through fast enough," but I doubt it.

I am sure that all delivery and all sending occurs at Skokie Shops. Yards are not equipped to strip cars for sending to scrappers. Plus there aren't any ramps that could handle a low boy trailer that these cars are shipped on. The 2200s are stripped of much material as I reported previously. Plus cars shipped on low boys are loaded and unloaded on a track that does not have third rail. All yard tracks have third rail. Again, all shipping and delivery done at Skokie Shops. It's actually a one-person job, but it helps when front loaders place the ramp to the trailer and a diesel shop mover pushes or pulls the 'L' car.

Now here we have two different people with two different anaylsis of clearances on North Cicero Ave. Which one is correct???

David Harrison

Researching, I found the N Ciceto Ave viaducts near Montrose are 13'. Accoring to the City, Cicero Ave viaducts are at least 13', with some 14' or taller. What is the height of the L car from wheel to roof? How many inches do you add for a low buoy truck six maybe? A 12' rail car with a one ft low added for low buoy gets you through those viaducts.

The City doesn't tell you this but, unless the posted clearance signs say "exactly", there is usually an extra 3 ' added. Thus a 13' viaduct can actually be 13'3", but one must take into consideration potholes and repaved roads.

Researching, I found the N Ciceto Ave viaducts near Montrose are 13'. Accoring to the City, Cicero Ave viaducts are at least 13', with some 14' or taller. What is the height of the L car from wheel to roof? How many inches do you add for a low buoy truck six maybe? A 12' rail car with a one ft low added for low buoy gets you through those viaducts.

The City doesn't tell you this but, unless the posted clearance signs say "exactly", there is usually an extra 3 ' added. Thus a 13' viaduct can actually be 13'3", but one must take into consideration potholes and repaved roads.

I meant to say there's an added 3 inches, not ft.

Maybe you should read the links noted above too, unless Graham Garfield is rumor.

The scrap yard is at 27th and State in Chicago Heights. Hence why they went south on Halsted.

Of course, why they would be in Oak Lawn is another matter.

I live not far from Chicago Heights so yesterday morning, I did drove on State St. from Sauk Trail, crossed the 1st RR Tracks and saw the yard on left with about 4-5 2200s w/ 2207 :( , couldn't get the rest of unknown 2200 numbers), the gate was closed.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

Spotted the following yesterday in revenue service on the Blue line:

2225-2226

2295-2296

2203-2204

2233-2234

2?43-2?44

The above are to the best of my memory since yesterday.

Can't remember the other one or two pairs seen in service(Maybe 2245-2246 ??).

All were in either center pair position of 8 car consists with the other 6 cars in the 2600 series.

Spotted the following yesterday in revenue service on the Blue line:

2225-2226

2295-2296

2203-2204

2233-2234

2?43-2?44

The above are to the best of my memory since yesterday.

Can't remember the other one or two pairs seen in service(Maybe 2245-2246 ??).

All were in either center pair position of 8 car consists with the other 6 cars in the 2600 series.

I was on 2249-50 Last night during night car on Blue Line. I did seen 2343-44 yesterday on revenue as well if you meant that with the question mark.

I was on 2249-50 Last night during night car on Blue Line.  I did [see] 2343-44 yesterday on revenue as well if you meant that with the question mark.

Thanks, didn't see the first two digits on that pair. From what you and I saw on 10/18/2012, the following were still in revenue service on the Blue Line:

2203-2204

2225-2226

2233-2234

2295-2296

2249-2250

2343-2344

Thanks, didn't see the first two digits on that pair. From what you and I saw on 10/18/2012, the following were still in revenue service on the Blue Line:

2203-2204

2225-2226

2233-2234

2295-2296

2249-2250

2343-2344

Do you know if 2222-21 still in service? For some reason, it's my favorite 2200 car, I used to ran into those cars every time I get on Blue Line.

Do you know if 2222-21 still in service? For some reason, it's my favorite 2200 car, I used to ran into those cars every time I get on Blue Line.

From my "L" Roster page...

Blue Line:(Updated 10/10/12)

2200-Series Cars(Budd Company 1969-1970)(68 Cars Total)

2203-2204

2209-2210

2219-2226

2221-2222 are in service still as of 10/10/12. I doubt they are going out of service until the Red Line starts getting 5000's, allowing 2600's to transfer to the Blue Line causing more retirements to occur.

Crazy question / request ...

Has anyone reached out to Chicago Heights Processing to see if they are willing to sell any of the misc. bits from the cars?

Its an odd request, but I've been on the hunt for a set of the plastic seats from any newer CTA cars. I think that a set would make an interesting addition to my CTA layout room ... of course only after an intense cleaning. Just curious ... could be worth a trip out to the Heights.

Thanks

Terry / SE CTA Fan

Has anyone reached out to Chicago Heights Processing to see if they are willing to sell any of the misc. bits from the cars?

No.

However, before pursuing this further, one would have to consider that they were sent to a specialized facility due to the various toxic material issues presented. I'm not sure that the seats are even clean enough to be put in a "resale shop," as you seem to acknowledge.

I visited late summer and although I did not speak with the manager in charge, persons there explained that they had turned down other requests because their contract with the CTA requires that the entire car and its contents be rendered unusable in any way. The CTA is afraid of suits down the line. The only exception seems to be for museums like IRM.

David H.

Completely opposite policy in NYC

http://www.mta.info/nyct/materiel/

Completely opposite policy in NYC

http://www.mta.info/nyct/materiel/

I'm not sure it is the opposite. That seems to talk more in terms of surplus parts, such as Pace advertising that it has a pallet of leftover Orion I spare parts. See the page where particular lots are offered. It doesn't sound like they are pregutting subway cars. But they do say that buses and subway cars are available.

I'm not sure it is the opposite. That seems to talk more in terms of surplus parts, such as Pace advertising that it has a pallet of leftover Orion I spare parts. See the page where particular lots are offered. It doesn't sound like they are pregutting subway cars. But they do say that buses and subway cars are available.

There are aluminum handholds, destination, signs, etc from cars. I have a whole R32 sign mechanism from an R32 in my living room.

There are aluminum handholds, destination, signs, etc from cars. I have a whole R32 sign mechanism from an R32 in my living room.

CTA used to sell that kind of stuff in The Chicago Store. I don't know if that's around any more.

In any event, CTA would have to "harvest" the sign roller* [or the roller and mechanism] from the car before turning it over to the scrapper. It is clear from what David said that the scrapper is not going to sell it to the public.

Also, since it is Blue Line cars that are being scrapped at the moment, they are going to need the signs for the replacement 2600s, if they come from the Red Line.

*I noted earlier that CTA announced that it was selling bus roller signs from the 77th storeroom in 1977. I haven't heard anything similar to date.

Probably won't happen, but before the 2200s disappear for good, it would be nice to see an 8 car consist with 2200,2400, 2600, & 3200series cars.

You might be able to do something like this... have an 8-car train consisting of a pair of 2200's, 2400's, 2600's and 3200's(Charter Train). What the cost would be, I don't know... but seeing as how prices start at $1,800 and presuming that's $1,800/pair, I would guess you'd have to shell out $7,200 for a 8-car consist. Although it is a nice photo-op, it would be a waste of money for you as each car holds 35 people comfortably, and that means to get your money's worth, you need to invite 280 people to fill all 8 cars.

From my "L" Roster page...

Blue Line:(Updated 10/10/12)

2200-Series Cars(Budd Company 1969-1970)(68 Cars Total)

2203-2204

2209-2210

2219-2226

2221-2222 are in service still as of 10/10/12. I doubt they are going out of service until the Red Line starts getting 5000's, allowing 2600's to transfer to the Blue Line causing more retirements to occur.

Wow, are there really that few left overall on the Blue Line? I remember seeing a post here that said something like 16 pairs(or was it 32 pairs? damn brain for forgetting what that post on Chicago Bus exactly said) of 2200s had been officially scrapped. I've always wondered if it was supposedly true that the 54th Yard on the Pink Line supposedly had 2200 series cars parked in that yard, since I have few opportunities where I ever find myself taking it to the end of that line(except if I'm taking a trip into the suburbs, and have to eventually transfer onto the #322 Cermak Pace bus). Though I suspect it's more likely that yard has 2600s for emergency purposes, and that all 2200s were transferred back from the Pink to Blue when Pink Line became it's own 'L route in 2006(or whatever year it was).

I am grateful that I do still see 4 2200s and 4 2600s consists on the Blue Line, though it's sad I see fewer of them now than I used to before spring 2012. And that 2 2200s and 6 2600s consists are unfortunately becoming more the norm, if 2200s are included on current(as of October 2012) Blue Line trains at all.

Probably won't happen, but before the 2200s disappear for good, it would be nice to see an 8 car consist with 2200,2400, 2600, & 3200series cars.

That'd absolutely be super cool, if such a charter were to run before all 2200s and 2400s were retired. Hopefully, the 2400s used could be one of the lower 2400 work motor/service cars that have the red/white/red stripes.

Quick question though, earlier tonight at about 6:35pm at Jefferson Park(and probably timed to run at the end of pm rush), I saw an out of service 4 car train(with 2229-2230 in the lead, I forget if the operator was driving the train in 2229 or 2230) going southbound, with 2 2600s(don't remember their numbers) trailing. Anyone have an idea why those cars were possibly being moved like that? I wonder why such a move was being done, at that time. Hopefully, it wasn't to move 2229-30 to Skokie Shops for scrapping, or whatever CTA facility the scrapyard trucks are picking up the scrapped 2200s from.

Today I just spotted a four car consist of.2600s on Lake St westbound at Clark. Car 2851 was the last car. My guess is that it was being transferred from the Red Line to the Blue Line via the Paulina Connector. It's possible that it could've been an instruction train. I guess we'll have to wai and see if 2851/2 is spotted on the Blue Line or elsewhere