February System Pick

New Flyer

Observations today (2/6/10):

...Intertestingly, they are being washed and fueled before going to Archer.

With regard to fueled, I hope they put some stabilizer in the tank. Otherwise one likely scenario is that if nothing happens on the giveback front, they will have to be towed to 77th to get defueled, before DEFUELED and SCRAP is painted on them. I don't know if CTA is still paying $4.50 a gallon, but even at $2.75 a gallon, that's a lot of money to be blowing.

So far, I looked at a few routes. #21, #60 and most of the #62 runs are Kedzie runs while #50 is (so far) run from North Park. It is especially strange to see 1600s and lower 1700s on either #21 or #60 (or #62 for that matter), or 1750s-1900s on #50, after having been operated with Novas for nearly two years. But I also saw a bus numbered in the upper 1240s on #62, which indicates that at least one of the #62 runs are out of 77th. 74th will also operate a couple of rush-hour runs on #62.

I will look at other routes as I look at the BusTracker during the next several hours. The ex-Archer Novas have so far not been detected on any of their soon-to-be new assignments due to their being relocated.

Also, with the 1600s-lower 1700s now on the aforementioned routes, #82 is currently (as of 9:30 AM Sunday) populated entirely with artics (the lower 4000s, which Kedzie still uses, to be exact).

See also here for my quick observations.

I'm guessing that all of the ex-Archer Novas are probably being re-programmed today to get ready for tomorrow and the NF buses that are out on their new assignments today were re-programmed yesterday. I just past 2012 on the #94 California route. Weird to see that bus on that route.

I checking Bus Tracker for my route #62 and I saw bus #1361 on it and my question is what station does #1361 belong to? and I saw #1351 on #8 too on bus tracker.

Likely extra NF 1000s that went to Kedzie. Which brings me to a few of my quick observations. Kedzie is doing most of the runs on 8. 74th mainly is operating the 94 from what I can see outside the spotting of 2012 on the route. 74th is also operating most of the 49 runs if not all rather than NP. Kedzie is operating the 12 all artic thus far this morning. 82 is indeed mainly Kedzie and also running all artic from what I can see. A few 4050s are now operating on the 6 so apparently 103rd got artics from Kedzie as well from indications, and it does look like 145 is again NP for the most part.

Likely extra NF 1000s that went to Kedzie. Which brings me to a few of my quick observations. Kedzie is doing most of the runs on 8. 74th mainly is operating the 94 from what I can see outside the spotting of 2012 on the route. 74th is also operating most of the 49 runs if not all rather than NP. Kedzie is operating the 12 all artic thus far this morning. 82 is indeed mainly Kedzie and also running all artic from what I can see. A few 4050s are now operating on the 6 so apparently 103rd got artics from Kedzie as well from indications, and it does look like 145 is again NP for the most part.

4051-4054 are all on either the 6 or 14 at 12:10 today.

Its weird because, 152 Addison, 90 Harlem, and 91 Austin, typically have newer novas (67's and 68's). But on bus tracker, there's at least 1 older nova on each route (65's). Same situation on 85 Irving Park. Yet 49 Western, a route typical of the older novas, has a bunch of 1000's New Flyers now (including a newer 1700's).

Just thought it was interesting to me. :rolleyes:

This definitely seems to be as part of the February 7 changes, taking effect at the moment.

Does anyone possibly know if 152 Addison will still have articulated buses in the early morning, and afternoon? (weekdays)

Its weird because, 152 Addison, 90 Harlem, and 91 Austin, typically have newer novas (67's and 68's). But on bus tracker, there's at least 1 older nova on each route (65's). Same situation on 85 Irving Park. Yet 49 Western, a route typical of the older novas, has a bunch of 1000's New Flyers now (including a newer 1700's).

This definitely seems to be as part of the February 7 changes, taking effect at the moment.

Does anyone possibly know if 152 Addison will still have articulated buses in the early morning, and afternoon? (weekdays)

I agree, I never gotten used to older Novas with green destination signs at Forest Glen, Neither I'm not used to Novas on 74th routes that they've never been on like 48,55,63,67,75,9 but its good to see Novas back on 47, 52A, 53A and staying on Midway routes. But seems its 2006-07 again with New Flyers back on 49 Western.

I guess I was referring to in the past 6 months.

There haven't been any service changes in the last 6 months (at least not until today). However, you do have to say that Quinn's "deal" to keep fares where they are next two years would qualify as "political interference". The political decision was made that keeping fares steady while cutting service was a more acceptable situation than the other way around. This could have been done the other way around, too. Basically tell riders "you want service, you must pay for it", but that would be politically less acceptable. Of course, the continuation of free rides for senios is in the same category, too. Seniors just love to vote, and no politician wants to be seen as "anti senior", no more how much sense it would make.

There haven't been any service changes in the last 6 months (at least not until today). However, you do have to say that Quinn's "deal" to keep fares where they are next two years would qualify as "political interference". The political decision was made that keeping fares steady while cutting service was a more acceptable situation than the other way around. This could have been done the other way around, too. Basically tell riders "you want service, you must pay for it", but that would be politically less acceptable. Of course, the continuation of free rides for senios is in the same category, too. Seniors just love to vote, and no politician wants to be seen as "anti senior", no more how much sense it would make.

There were service changes from 6th Sep 2009. This included midday service on 18, additional weekend service on 53A, 67 extended to Ford City Mall, 38 and 157 merged as 157 Streeterville/Taylor. There were also changes to UC services and 200 was withdrawn. None of which were political although the proposed changes to 55A and 55N were dropped due to external pressure.

While the proposed increases in fares were excessive, I agree that Quinn should not have insisted no fare rise at all for 2010 and 2011. Do not get me started on senior fares - I travel in each day by Metra in a car where two lawyers over 65 sit. They eran more money than me and yet they travel for free from Barington!

• Upvote 2

I took this from Kevin's main post page to ask a question:

The service cuts will allow CTA to retire its remaining fleet of approximately 285 Flxible Metro buses and close Archer Garage, a 103-year-old facility originally built for streetcars. The Flxible Metro buses, which were placed into service in 1995, will be decommissioned and stored at Archer Garage. Batteries will be removed, fluids drained, and the vehicles will be secured. Should service be reinstated as the result of future labor negotiations, the buses could re-enter service and Archer Garage could be reactivated

I can understand removing the batteries and securing the vehicles, but why drain all the fluids? You got 200+ Flxibles that take gallons of oil and diesel, various amounts of power steering, brake, windshield, and perhaps other types of fluids that don't come to mind. It'll probably take the maintaince staff nearly a week to get them up and running if service is restored. I mean, who in their right mind is going to steal a 15-year old bus, that's not only numered on the sides, front, and rear, but also on the roof, as well as be trackable by CTA???

Removing the fluids has nothing to do with keeping the buses from being stolen. Removing the old fluids now will make it easier for them to refill them with new fluids later should they be returned to service without having to flush out the old gummed up stuff first.

Also, if they are to be scrapped, all of the fluids have to be removed and disposed of according to EPA standards first before the scapper will take them.

To answer your question regarding the 152 weekdays, it's quite possible since under the route assignment updates that Kevin put up today 152 is considered shared between FG and NP, NP having artics.

I took this from Kevin's main post page to ask a question:

The service cuts will allow CTA to retire its remaining fleet of approximately 285 Flxible Metro buses and close Archer Garage, a 103-year-old facility originally built for streetcars. The Flxible Metro buses, which were placed into service in 1995, will be decommissioned and stored at Archer Garage. Batteries will be removed, fluids drained, and the vehicles will be secured. Should service be reinstated as the result of future labor negotiations, the buses could re-enter service and Archer Garage could be reactivated

I can understand removing the batteries and securing the vehicles, but why drain all the fluids? You got 200+ Flxibles that take gallons of oil and diesel, various amounts of power steering, brake, windshield, and perhaps other types of fluids that don't come to mind. It'll probably take the maintaince staff nearly a week to get them up and running if service is restored. I mean, who in their right mind is going to steal a 15-year old bus, that's not only numered on the sides, front, and rear, but also on the roof, as well as be trackable by CTA???

I suppose that's in part where the comments in the news yesterday that it would take 10 days to two weeks to reinstated service levels back to where they were before today comes in.

Removing the fluids has nothing to do with keeping the buses from being stolen. Removing the old fluids now will make it easier for them to refill them with new fluids later should they be returned to service without having to flush out the old gummed up stuff first.

Also, if they are to be scrapped, all of the fluids have to be removed and disposed of according to EPA standards first before the scapper will take them.

Of course there was Andre's report earlier Saturday that Kedzie had fueled the buses it was sending to Archer, which I questioned. So, I guess it is which way was it?

Even further BTW, since both Andre and BusHunter said they were out at Archer Saturday afternoon, did you run into each other?:P

This realignment of routes is a complete disaster. I never was a fan of sharing routes between garages but some routes being shared by up to 4 garages?? seriously?? and some being completely on the opposite side of town as the garage??

Well from what was observed today, on the shared routes that operate on Sundays you had one garage doing most of the runs over the other. Kedzie alone operated the 8, did most of the runs on the 62 with what looked like one lone run from 77th since 1249 was the only 77th bus I was able to spot on it, and operated the 82 alone. 74th did 49 alone from the looks of it and handled most of the runs on the 94 with Chicago doing a few runs. North Park handled 145 alone at the time I was able to observe it this morning and it's supposed to be shared with Kedzie. Sharing the express 120s shouldn't be too much of an issue because they're all completely within the borders of downtown and no matter which garage does runs there's going to have to be some deadheading to get to and from the routes. The only assignments that don't make as much sense to me is the assignment of 35, 39 and 43 to 77th and to some degree FG doing runs on 74 with Chicago when 76 makes a little more sense to do it.

• Upvote 1

Most of the multi-garage sharing is limited to weekday rush hours, peak directions only. That's why you wouldn't have seen as much on Sunday.

If you want to see several garages operating the 151, hang around during the AM rush south of Fullerton.

I gathered that because I saw Kedzie had runs on both 145 and 148, as well as 135 this morning. With 148 it looked like the runs from both garages were pretty much alternated, one NP bus, then one Kedzie, and so on. 135 snd 145 looked to do the same to a slightly lesser degree. I also see that NP kept along with what Kedzie had started with 148 by using mostly 40 footers, and noticed that Kedzie mixed in at least one 40 footer on 145.

Looking at the 145 and 148 on the Tracker, most of the runs are Kedzie runs at this hour if I'm guessing correct that the two 1340s (1347 and 1348) on 148 are Kedzie assigned. Most of the 94 runs today appear to be Chicago when it was the other way around yesterday with 74th doing most of the runs. 156 is mostly Kedzie with two NP buses showing at the moment. 1658 NB is the one Kedzie run on the 1. 77th again only has a few runs on the 62, only two to be exact with buses 1249 and 1252. 74th has one run on there with bus 1580 and the rest are Kedzie. Looks like all the runs but four on the 8 are Kedzie. The four, two Novas and two 1000s are 74th. From looking at those few routes that are Kedzie run, Kedzie picked up NFs in the 1340s through 1360s.

152 Addison has a, 539 Optima bus right now on CTA bus tracker. Is this a mistake? 152 Addison has NEVER had these before.mellow.gif

That's why it's quite shocking to me. This being a pretty busy route, especially during rush hour, (3 High schools, Blue, Red, and Brown lines, and at times, Cub games as well).