5000-series - Updates

greenstreet

(Moved to new post)

On my commute to howard today on the yellow line, i saw two new cars being delivered at the skokie shops. Is it possible the first cars of the 5000 series have finally arrived? I may have mistaken them for 3200's, but they were missing the furthest windows on the non cab side, between the door and motorman window.

That would be the distinctive characteristic, as one of the windows was supposedly replaced by an air duct for the brakes.

Dreyday -
Good eye. The first two prototype cars of the new 5000s were indeed delivered today. They will be tested extensively at Skokie, but probably won't go out onto the actual system until after the next pair arrives and is tested, and they can be sent out as a four-car consist.
  • Upvote 6

(Moved to new post)

Dreyday -

Good eye. The first two prototype cars of the new 5000s were indeed delivered today. They will be tested extensively at Skokie, but probably won't go out onto the actual system until after the next pair arrives and is tested, and they can be sent out as a four-car consist.

Can you elaborate further? Do they look anything like the rendering Kevin put up awhile back? Perhaps even a photo or two would help, because I'm really lost on you saying that the furthest windows on the non-cab side were missing, between the door and motorman window.

Can you elaborate further? Do they look anything like the rendering Kevin put up awhile back? Perhaps even a photo or two would help, because I'm really lost on you saying that the furthest windows on the non-cab side were missing, between the door and motorman window.

Theres a pic of the first cars while still at the factory in New York in a past issue of "First and Fastest" These cars are virtually identical to the 3200s except for a few minor differences noting the missing windows and the digital dest. sign. If anyone can get pics of them pls post asap.

When Huberman ordered the extensive interior and exterior design changes to the cars, there was a mention that those changes might not be implemented in the prototype cars.

Not only won't many of the Huberman-proposed changes be in the prototypes, they won't make it into the final order. Sources said that the changes would have resulted in even more delays and tens, if not hundreds, more millions of dollars.

Here's a list of some of the design changes he told the Tattler about more than a year ago. Most changes have been jettisoned.

# Recessed lighting. - Nope

# Reading lights. - Nope

# Six 9-inch TV screens in each car, rotating CTA info and advertising. - Nope, way too expensive and would require significant electrical design changes

# No more advertising cards -- the small TVs are replacing all paper ad cards. - Wrong

# Computerized Internet controls mean no more herky-jerky rides. - Not an accurate description, but there will be smoother rides as a result of better computer controls

# A "smart" systems map in the middle of the car pinpointing the train's current location. - Not sure if this is in the prototype

# The same number of seats arranged longitudinally to allow for more standing room. - True

# A padded "butt perch" in the area where a wheelchair would go so if there was no disabled passenger onboard, other passengers could rest against the padded perch. - Nope

# Security cameras in each car. - Probably not in the prototype, but in the final delivery

Not noted on this list, but some of the exterior cosmetic design changes Huberman proposed are not on the two cars that were delivered Friday. (The two-toned swirly design on the upper half of the exterior that can be seen in the rendering linked here was not visible on the delivered cars)

• Upvote 4

Not only won't many of the Huberman-proposed changes be in the prototypes, they won't make it into the final order. Sources said that the changes would have resulted in even more delays and tens, if not hundreds, more millions of dollars.

Here's a list of some of the design changes he told the Tattler about more than a year ago. Most changes have been jettisoned.

# Recessed lighting. - Nope

# Reading lights. - Nope

# Six 9-inch TV screens in each car, rotating CTA info and advertising. - Nope, way too expensive and would require significant electrical design changes

# No more advertising cards -- the small TVs are replacing all paper ad cards. - Wrong

# Computerized Internet controls mean no more herky-jerky rides. - Not an accurate description, but there will be smoother rides as a result of better computer controls

# A "smart" systems map in the middle of the car pinpointing the train's current location. - Not sure if this is in the prototype

# The same number of seats arranged longitudinally to allow for more standing room. - True

# A padded "butt perch" in the area where a wheelchair would go so if there was no disabled passenger onboard, other passengers could rest against the padded perch. - Nope

# Security cameras in each car. - Probably not in the prototype, but in the final delivery

Not noted on this list, but some of the exterior cosmetic design changes Huberman proposed are not on the two cars that were delivered Friday. (The two-toned swirly design on the upper half of the exterior that can be seen in the rendering linked here was not visible on the delivered cars)

I dont think Huberman knows what any of these things do! He wouldnt know the differnece between a 2600, a 3200 or a 5000!

I dont think Huberman knows what any of these things do! He wouldnt know the differnece between a 2600, a 3200 or a 5000!

It probably wasn't Huberman, anyway, but communications between some underling and the Powerpoint clerk.

I think that the main issue is that the board gave him authority to negotiate aesthetic changes, not necessarily that they would happen.The old links don't work, but it seems like going back to the Jan. 2008 President's Report, around page 29, the main choices were between the current interior decor of the 3200 type cars, and using different colors and seats more similar to those in the 4150 series of buses. So, unless someone gets inside the prototype, we won't know. And as bus 4155 indicates, the seat choice isn't carved in stone.

On the other hand, if anything was done to the end cap (such as pinpoint headlights), that should be easier to detect.

I am new here, so was a bit hesitant to submit these earlier when I received them, however I figured why not. I've got a friend who lives in Plattsburg, NY near the Bombardier test track and he captured these earlier this month of the new cars being tested. Keep in mind these were taken with a cell phone camera so the quality isn't so great.

cta1.jpg

• Upvote 2

Well, at least we get a chance to see them in action. But, as you said, cell phone video is terrible... as close as you are, it looks like a 2600 or 3200 riding those rails. I guess I'll just have to wait for a more clearer pic/video of these new railcars(unless I happen to be on the Brown Line when they come there for testing, then I might just be able to catch a trial ride on them).

The video doesn't show much of the cab end (and it looks like in #3 that it stopped behind the tree to stymie him), but right clicking on the image in the post looks like that the cab end is no different from the 3200s, and hence all the suggestions about projector headlights and the like were not implemented.

Update: Compare the image with page 34 of the President's Report, previously cited. Look the same to me.

They might be testing the new cars on the Blue line already. I heard a strange sounding set of cars heading Nbound between Western and California at 6:55 tonight. I ran out of my garage and just caught a glimpse, it had "out of service" sign and was moving a little slow (35-40mph or so). The sound was much quieter and very different than what I'm used to.

Does anyone know if they have started testing? I'm thinking about setting a video camera up to record all the trains that go by.

• Upvote 1

I'm not sure(I refuse to ride the Blue Line until those 40-year old cars are gone. No offense to those who like them, but too many issues with them lately, IMO). But I can tell you this... if you're going to be videotaping from ground/street level, fine. DO NOT videotape or take photos on the platforms. The CTA Security will harass you about that and may possibly confiscate your videocamera/camera. On top of that, CPD may be called and one can only wonder if they might arrest you for videotaping/photographing CTA Trains on CTA property.

I'm actually planning on shooting from a second floor window in my house - just set the camera to run all day taking a shot every 5 seconds.

I'm not sure(I refuse to ride the Blue Line until those 40-year old cars are gone. No offense to those who like them, but too many issues with them lately, IMO). But I can tell you this... if you're going to be videotaping from ground/street level, fine. DO NOT videotape or take photos on the platforms. The CTA Security will harass you about that and may possibly confiscate your videocamera/camera. On top of that, CPD may be called and one can only wonder if they might arrest you for videotaping/photographing CTA Trains on CTA property.

I have a recent document printed right off CTA's website that says photography is fine.

If they try to arrest me, confiscate, or destroy my property, I will be a very rich man.

hey guys just interested,do anyone know if the bombardiers will have the synesthien controller like the morrison -knudsens?or just the standard controller on the budds,boeing-vertols and the vintage 40 yo's.

The 5000s are being tested on the Purple Line between Howard and Lawrence. At 11:15 yeaterday I passed 5011 and 5012 being tested. Other than the electronic destination signs they look just like the 32s even in the front and back. There were no changes in the styling on the outside.

• Upvote 3

The 5000s are being tested on the Purple Line between Howard and Lawrence. At 11:15 yeaterday I passed 5011 and 5012 being tested. Other than the electronic destination signs they look just like the 32s even in the front and back. There were no changes in the styling on the outside.

omg!!!!!!! that is so cool.so is the signs programmed yet? and is the set 5011-5012 the beggining cars or do the series actually start at 5000?

• Upvote 1

Even more interesting is that #5011-12 is not the first 10 cars. #5001-10 is. Unless the ten prototypes are out of sequence. Probably the reason you saw the #5000's on tracks 1 or 4 between Lawrence and Howard is because those are dead tracks in the mid day period. A good place to test that's more on par with an actual situation rather than being hemmed inside Skokie Shops. Even though the cars may not be headed to purple it does show we are getting closer to actually seeing them in service. If more cars are not available yet, I wouldn't be surprised the first test line could be Yellow.

Oh Boy,

I can't wait to see these new trains. I gotta get pics/video. How long will they be testing them up near Howard?

Some great photos of the 5000s have been posted at Subchat

Nice Pictures!! Although the destination signs aren't really that clear. Wait until these run on the loop "L". Alot of people are going to say huh! what route is that? Might be more easy to memorize the marker lights on your train for your line at least those have different colors. :lol:

• Upvote 1

Nice Pictures!! Although the destination signs aren't really that clear. Wait until these run on the loop "L". Alot of people are going to say huh! what route is that? Might be more easy to memorize the marker lights on your train for your line at least those have different colors. :lol:

Here's a link to a sideshot of the #5000's destination sign Hey, are those Aries seats from USSC I see? (same as #4150 series artics) They have a high back on them.