ex-CTA New Flyer #5858/CFD

Have artics ever been used as cpd, cfd or work buses?

CPD and CFD Buses, I'm not sure of, but some of the Ex-Seattle M.A.N Articulateds were used as work buses for the Iron Workers(I never saw them, but an Iron Worker told me that in addition to the Flyers[when they had them], they also have some Articulateds.)

• 3 weeks later...

Here's some better pics of the CFD New Flyer. We went to Chicago Ave. Garage today for training on the bus, well the other fireman had to be trained! B) Anyway, today the bus was officially placed in service by the CFD. All servicing will be performed at Chicago Ave. Anytime it needs to be fueled, washed, oiled, or repaired, we will bring it to Chicago Ave. The fire dept. nor the city will perform any maintenance on it. It is equipped with lights, sirens and fire dept. radio. It has emergency medical supplies located in the rear window void as well as firefighter SCBA units. Still some traces of CTA remain, its NP designation is still on the window. A CTA priority seating card and some other decals are still visible as well as the bus number. Its main purpose will be to provide oxygen in mass casualty incidents. The bus will be deployed in the event of subway incidents or other large scale emergency operations. We were given a drive tour of the garage, the washer, the maintenance area, all the fireman that I was with were amazed by the CTA historic collection. And on a side note, while I was over there I saw our good friend CTA5555, he was observing us driving the bus on the grounds. I have to say Im very impressed by the conversion of the bus.

post-158-12720561593389_thumb.jpgpost-158-12720561350837_thumb.jpgpost-158-12720561593389_thumb.jpgpost-158-12720561778628_thumb.jpgpost-158-12720561939038_thumb.jpgpost-158-12720562515361_thumb.jpgpost-158-12720562772375_thumb.jpgpost-158-12720569775133_thumb.jpgpost-158-12720569912389_thumb.jpg

post-158-12720562106295_thumb.jpg

The bus will be deployed in the event of subway incidents or other large scale emergency operations.

Like that's never happened.:lol:

Two questions:

What are the silver and green things that come out of the interior advertising racks?

If this was taken at Chicago Garage, where will the bus be stationed (I'm not asking for the specific location,as that might be classified, but, in general, at the Fire Academy, Headquarters, or some fire station)?

Like that's never happened.:lol:

Two questions:

What are the silver and green things that come out of the interior advertising racks?

If this was taken at Chicago Garage, where will the bus be stationed (I'm not asking for the specific location,as that might be classified, but, in general, at the Fire Academy, Headquarters, or some fire station)?

What youre seeing on the advertising racks are oxygen regulators, a total of twenty regulators were installed which would provide oxygen to patients via a non-rebreather mask or a nasal cannula. Also the use of the wheelchair lift will no doubt be an asset to the use of this vehicle. The pics were taken at its new home. The bus is assigned to Engine Co. 44 at 412 N Kedzie. This vehicle will be used citywide. Im among the firemen qualified to operate it if needed.

• 2 months later...

Im working today on Engine #44, home of the CFD Bus. Got some interesting information from a CTA mechanic who payed a visit to make some adjustments to the bus. He tells me there will be three more ex-CTA buses assigned to the fire dept. I mentioned already before one is a #6000 Flxible, he tells me there will be two more possibly Flxs turned over to CFD. Also he tells me the Chicago Police has another bus, a TMC stationed at South Shops. Can anyone confirm this? Also going back to the CFD New Flyer, it was assigned to the subway fire the other day, that was its very first assignment!

• 3 years later...

where is CFD291 and other CFD series exCTA buses?

2-9-0 etc are "radio call numbers" like CTA uses on their trucks. 2-9-1 is the Fire Academy bus. 8-8-11 and 8-8-12 are the two "mass casualty buses". There are also units 8-8-1 thru 8-8-10 that are called mass casualty units, but I do not know what they are in reality. If you want to see a lot of info on what is where, go to Wikipedia and enter "Chicago Fire Department" and it will give you a good list of what is where.

Now back to the buses. Each piece of fire department apparatus has a permanent "shop number" that is never reused. It is six digits and starts with "FD". The last four digits identify the type. Axxx would be a "small buggy" - i.e. a sedan. Bxxx is a "large buggy" - an SUV. Cxxx is Ambulance, Dxxx is pumper, Exxx is a ladder truck, Gxxx is "miscellaneous" such as Hazmat, Squad trucks, air mask, etc. Buses used to be in the G series, now they are in a new "Sxxx" series. The 4900 is FDS061 if I remember. These numbers are in 2-inch white letters on the front and back of each vehicle, and on six inch letters on the doors of unassigned "shop spares" that are replacing an assigned apparatus that is being repaired.

Most fire buffs refer to apparatus by its company assignment, though this is about as logical as referring to a bus by its run number that day (though fire apparatus does tend to stay at one company for long periods of time). However, anytime anyone sees a fire department bus, please try to get its FDS number!

Here's some better pics of the CFD New Flyer. We went to Chicago Ave. Garage today for training on the bus, well the other fireman had to be trained! B) Anyway, today the bus was officially placed in service by the CFD. All servicing will be performed at Chicago Ave. Anytime it needs to be fueled, washed, oiled, or repaired, we will bring it to Chicago Ave. The fire dept. nor the city will perform any maintenance on it. It is equipped with lights, sirens and fire dept. radio. It has emergency medical supplies located in the rear window void as well as firefighter SCBA units. Still some traces of CTA remain, its NP designation is still on the window. A CTA priority seating card and some other decals are still visible as well as the bus number. Its main purpose will be to provide oxygen in mass casualty incidents. The bus will be deployed in the event of subway incidents or other large scale emergency operations. We were given a drive tour of the garage, the washer, the maintenance area, all the fireman that I was with were amazed by the CTA historic collection. And on a side note, while I was over there I saw our good friend CTA5555, he was observing us driving the bus on the grounds. I have to say Im very impressed by the conversion of the bus.

attachicon.gifP1040168.JPGattachicon.gifP1040148.JPGattachicon.gifP1040168.JPGattachicon.gifP1040150.JPGattachicon.gifP1040159.JPGattachicon.gifP1040151.JPGattachicon.gifP1040153.JPGattachicon.gifP1040160.JPGattachicon.gifP1040169.JPG

It would be interesting to see this bus running code 3 with lights and sirens active. I envision it having the lighting a Ambulance or Fire Truck would have as well as the EQ2B siren on the Ford F-450 Ambulances and the modern Fire Engines and Tower Ladders(e.g: Engine 112 and Truck 38). By chance, you have video of the bus with the siren active, like for training purposes or something?