CTA Bus Rapid Transit (take two)

BusHunter

CTA noted that the traffic signal priority equipment won't be available until early 2013, most likely mid-january, early-february. But i wonder will this service be an enhancement to the Dan Ryan Shutdown with extended service during the 5-months or will the federal guidelines restrict the service to extend beyond it's mandated purpose. I also wonder will the funds from the Decrowding service enhancements in December allow the CTA to allocate those funds along with the federal funds to extend service levels?

They wouldn't get any extra funds to go into increasing service levels from the decrowding plan beyond what they listed in that presentation, namely putting out more buses on the 48 routes listed for improvements in service intervals.

The Tribune replaced its picture with one showing a J14 Jeffery Jump headsign.

I still can't figure out where the fleet number is, though.

Based on the picture Kevin has linked on the home page, a couple of spots for the fleet number are the rear sides near the rear wheel wells. That's where I saw 4090 marked in the photo taken from the left side.

They wouldn't get any extra funds to go into increasing service levels from the decrowding plan beyond what they listed in that presentation, namely putting out more buses on the 48 routes listed for improvements in service intervals.

The 14 Jeffery Express was listed as one of the routes, so will the J14 Jeffery Jump allocate the extend service instead

The 14 Jeffery Express was listed as one of the routes, so will the J14 Jeffery Jump allocate the extend service instead

I think that would be a definite and obvious yes since they are both the same route just different stop patterns since the J14 will have less south of 67th.

Based on the picture Kevin has linked on the home page, a couple of spots for the fleet number are the rear sides near the rear wheel wells. That's where I saw 4090 marked in the photo taken from the left side.

If you mean the little black spot aft of the rear wheel, you have better eyes (or screen resolution) than I have.

If you mean the little black spot aft of the rear wheel, you have better eyes (or screen resolution) than I have.

Yes that's the spot of the number. But if you look at the front of the bus just behind the bike rack, you'll spot '4090' approximately in the position that you find fleet numbers on unwrapped buses. And sorry I wasn't completely clear. I made out 4090 on the front of the bus, but meant to say that the black spot to the rear of the rear wheel is where you see fleet number if you were physically standing next to the bus.

Yes that's the spot of the number. But if you look at the front of the bus just behind the bike rack, you'll spot '4090' approximately in the position that you find fleet numbers on unwrapped buses. And sorry I wasn't completely clear. I made out 4090 on the front of the bus, but meant to say that the black spot to the rear of the rear wheel is where you see fleet number if you were physically standing next to the bus.

Darn dark, but after downloading the picture and zooming it 300%, it shows up over the license plate. At that magnification, I can almost make out the rear one.

Sure isn't going to facilitate street supervision, if any.

Also, without so much magnification, the transitchicago.com decal isn't the usual one, but transitchicago.com/jump.

Any idea as to when 4090 will be entering service.

Mel

Probably wouldn't be on the road till the 14 is converted into the J14 come November. The fact that the 6 has been running with more 40 foot buses than previous seen in recent weeks leads me to think that since I'm gather they're starting to get whatever other 30 plus buses that would serve the Jeffery Jump wrapped as they have 4090.

Probably wouldn't be on the road till the 14 is converted into the J14 come November. The fact that the 6 has been running with more 40 foot buses than previous seen in recent weeks leads me to think that since I'm gather they're starting to get whatever other 30 plus buses that would serve the Jeffery Jump wrapped as they have 4090.

It's one thing if a couple of buses are out of service at a time. I can't conceive of them taking 30-50 out at a time just so the wrapped ones aren't on the street until the unveiling date.

It's one thing if a couple of buses are out of service at a time. I can't conceive of them taking 30-50 out at a time just so the wrapped ones aren't on the street until the unveiling date.

I'm not saying or did say they would take them all out of service now. I was thinking maybe they do so gradually as time progresses if they were starting about now with other buses besides 4090. We are in heading into October very soon leaving about a month to get the ball rolling sometime soon at a gradual pace. If we did see newly wrapped buses in service before then, it would make sense to do so on the current 14 as a preview of what's to come in November as far as what's rolling on Jeffery. And you yourself made the point that the number is probably closer to 30 buses to be wrapped than the sum total of artics assigned to 103rd.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm on 4090 right now.... and its NOT WRAPPED in the Jump branding. Maybe its 4030, 4080 or 4190 in the picture

My body being on #4090 unwrapped says different

I'm not saying I don't believe you, I'm just saying that this isn't a case of someone misreading the number in the photo. As sw4400 mentioned, it may have been wrapped only temporarily for PR photos. Your observation that it's no longer wrapped confirms that (unless the number shown on the wrap was fake).

I'm not saying I don't believe you, I'm just saying that this isn't a case of someone misreading the number in the photo. As sw4400 mentioned, it may have been wrapped only temporarily for PR photos. Your observation that it's no longer wrapped confirms that (unless the number shown on the wrap was fake).

Oh lol. Didn't mean to get testy. Sorry :(

The registration on the bus (M172 928)also matches 4090 so it must have been wrapped temporarily.

Nope. Completely untouched

It could be the 100 artics coming will be part of the Jump service. The wrap buses may just be stand ins (no screens)until they arrive. It would probably make more sense to have those built with the extra goodies at the factory versus in house. It's hard to see LFR's and not think those would be used in a BRT type setting, even if it is a lite version.

• Upvote 1

It could be the 100 artics coming will be part of the Jump service. The wrap buses may just be stand ins (no screens)until they arrive. It would probably make more sense to have those built with the extra goodies at the factory versus in house. It's hard to see LFR's and not think those would be used in a BRT type setting, even if it is a lite version.

That would seem to make sense, but there is the question of the delivery timeline.

It also seems not below CTA to stage a press event. Was there anything other than the tweet?

That would seem to make sense, but there is the question of the delivery timeline.

It also seems not below CTA to stage a press event. Was there anything other than the tweet?

I wouldn't put it past CTA to wrap a few buses and paste Jump logos on the rest for the time being. For all we know maybe #4090 was photoshopped. :lol: