New CTA Corgi Diecast

mikeymc77

I recently seen an article from Corgi Diecast showing a new CTA bus thats going to be on sale August 1 2010. Its a Fishbowl painted in the old bicentennial colors. I know there were quite a few of these back in the day. I was wondering if there was a record kept as to which fleet number were painted this way. I know that two from Archer were 1326 and 7903.(thats where I lived) cuz back then I wasnt even born yet in 1976 , but they kept the colors for quite a long time after. I have a couple of pics of two others 1476 and 7650. Does anyone else have any listings for the numbers of these buses?

• Upvote 1

I recently seen an article from Corgi Diecast showing a new CTA bus thats going to be on sale August 1 2010. Its a Fishbowl painted in the old bicentennial colors. I know there were quite a few of these back in the day. I was wondering if there was a record kept as to which fleet number were painted this way. I know that two from Archer were 1326 and 7903.(thats where I lived) cuz back then I wasnt even born yet in 1976 , but they kept the colors for quite a long time after. I have a couple of pics of two others 1476 and 7650. Does anyone else have any listings for the numbers of these buses?

I saw the model too of the CTA bicentennial fishbowl. Theres a reserve listing on Ebay already with some good pics. Its coming out in two fleet numbers in the 7800 nd 1100 series. The 1100 series will be a Forest Glen bus with "56A Jefferson Park" on the sign. The 7800, Im not sure what will be on the front. It looks really cool. As for the real buses, I remember at North Ave. they had of course, #1476 and Flxible #3701 was painted in this livery, #3701 was also the "Clean up Chicago" bus, I think #1485 was also painted.

The 1100 series will be a Forest Glen bus with "56A Jefferson Park" on the sign. The 7800, Im not sure what will be on the front. It looks really cool.

37 Sedgwick

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?VISuperSize&item=380226895919

The link just gave me a spinner, but I found it using the search "corgi chicago bus" on the eBay home page.

The caption of the picture there says Bus 1185, 56A Jefferson Park; Bus 7856 Sedgwick.

The picture seems quite realistic for the 56A bus, as the black and yellow sign in front and the yellow sign on the side seem correct.

I can "buy" 7856 as a Sedgwick bus only if it depicts the short time 7400s were at Limits; after the 9000s came, it would have gone somewhere else, such as Beverly.

At least though, for what I remember, it looks real good. Of course, I thought that the 1400 model with 72 North Cicero was really realistic, and should have bought it then.

Also, for 5750's benefit--the search also turns up the CFD fishbowl.

• Upvote 1

The link just gave me a spinner, but I found it using the search "corgi chicago bus" on the eBay home page.

The caption of the picture there says Bus 1185, 56A Jefferson Park; Bus 7856 Sedgwick.

The picture seems quite realistic for the 56A bus, as the black and yellow sign in front and the yellow sign on the side seem correct.

I can "buy" 7856 as a Sedgwick bus only if it depicts the short time 7400s were at Limits; after the 9000s came, it would have gone somewhere else, such as Beverly.

At least though, for what I remember, it looks real good. Of course, I thought that the 1400 model with 72 North Cicero was really realistic, and should have bought it then.

Also, for 5750's benefit--the search also turns up the CFD fishbowl.

Not surprising, I have the CFD fishbowl in my collection. Being a former FG operator, Ill have to go with #1185.

The ones I know of painted in the bicentennial colors include #397 "Mom Rinker" (the only #300 painted this way), #3701 "Thomas Paine" , #7903 "13 Colonies", #1194 was also painted this way, but I don't know what it's called. There was the #9040 which was painted bicentennial with the slogan "I Will, the Spirit of Chicago" which appeared in many parades. Alot of the "I Will" buses would be in the #9000 series, as that was the second generation of that particular paint style. The MAN artic demo of the 70's was painted bicentennial. Any idea what #1326, #1476 or #7650 is named after?

There was a bus named for Benjamin Banneker and but i dont know which one. I found another pic of another bus. 1005 was also painted this way. I will try to find the pic of 7650. It is of the front of the bus so I will know for sure the name on that bus.Just found a pic from hope tunnel with 3444 painted for Filippo Mazzei

• Upvote 1

I don't remember the yellow side signs on the 56A, but that is not to say that there weren't any.

I can't speak specifically for 56A, but in the mid 70s, buses that we now consider to be L feeders had the yellow route sign, as well as the yellow panel on the headsign with the name of the (then) rapid transit station.

However, if you want to grill me further, my memory is not good enough to determine whether that applies to the 1972 style signs, the 1973 style, or the 1975 (Helvetica) style.

• Upvote 2

There was a bus named for Benjamin Banneker and but i dont know which one. I found another pic of another bus. 1005 was also painted this way. I will try to find the pic of 7650. It is of the front of the bus so I will know for sure the name on that bus.Just found a pic from hope tunnel with 3444 painted for Filippo Mazzei

#3444 was I believe the only #3300 painted bicentennial, so that's a pretty rare shot about as rare as the #397. There's also a few more I found after doing a little research. There's a bus #40, (which was an Evanston bus at the time) painted bicentennial. That bus was #7400, but that particular fleet number most likely never was painted that livery. Looks like the name on it is Peter Marquette or something similar for the first name. There's also #1342 on hopetunnel, which is parked next to #3701 and #3183 parked at Archer, but it's impossible to read the name on that one. So according to Corgi, #1185 and #7856 were also painted bicentennial. I wonder what the names are on those.

After looking through some CTA publications from the 70's I've come across a few more of the bicentennial buses. I've learned the Superbus (or 70's MAN demo) was named after Baron Von Steuben. #1194 was named after Hercules Mulligan. There was a bus #1505 named after Charles Carroll. I'm surprised to have learned that at the end of 1975 there were 30 buses represented in a bicentennial scheme. The publications mention many names which were part of that fleet. Among the first of the bicentennial buses was Crispus Attucks which came for a dedication at the school of the same name (3813 s. Dearborn) There was also Thomas Johnson which was a Northwest side bus, Abigail Adams, John Hancock, Mercy Otis Warren, Button Gwinnett, Kazimier Pulaski, Prince Hall, Salem Poor, Edward Hector, Austin Dabney, John Harris, Lambo Latham, Cato Carlile, David Mitchell, Deborah Gannett, James Coopers, Paul Cuffee, Caesar Perry, Jabez Jolly, Lucy Terry, Benjamin Banneker and James Forlen. There was even a mini bus constructed depicting a 60's Flx bicentennial named the Yankee Doodle Dandy. I learned of another bicentennial bus not mentioned yet, #1062. Most of the buses seem to be General Motors buses the only Flx I know of is #3701. That's all I have learned so far.

Baron von Steuben being the MAN was well documented by Krambles. It seems like the names on most of the buses were pretty obscure. For instance, I Googled Hercules Mulligan and the Facebook and MySpace ones seem more frequent, but there is an entry to the one who was a tailor and spy in New York during the Revolutionary War. Obviously, the John Harris is not the one we know.

Kaz was on the list I gave you from CERA 115 on L cars 6709-6710. On a bus, too, or does this list reflect both?

In related news: I confirmed my girlfriend's report that Trains and Toys in Morton Grove closed, so you won't be able to buy one there.

This is a list of Bicentennial liveried buses CTA had in the mid to late 70's, where pictures are available, they will be added to that particular bus in the list. (last updated 1/12/16 @ 2:05 PM) (all images credited to Mel Bernaro unless otherwise indicated)

#307: Mom Rinker

569724461e3d2_CTA397MomRinker.thumb.jpg.

#3444: Filippo Mazzei

6817113887_d868c17356_b.thumb.jpg.6e5683

#3701: Thomas Paine

5697244b3f897_CTA3701ThomasPaine.thumb.j

#40 AKA #7400: Peter Marquette?

#7567: ?

#7627: ?

#7650: ?

#7747: John Rutledge

569565b64c970_CTA7747JohnRutledge5-27-75

#7767: Prince Hall

569565c0b9ab2_Cta7767PrinceHallshot6-19-

#7829: Charles Carroll

569565b9a2985_7829CharlesCarroll.jpg.226

#7856: John Hancock:

#7903: 13 Colonies

7903.thumb.jpg.6ae5b8584c466628d3440f4bb

7903r.thumb.jpg.0fd2a9c0d00265c6e88fb520

(both shots credited th Harry Gershen, property of Busdrawings.com)

#7929: ?

#1005: ?

#1062: ?

#1185: Thaddeus Kosciusko

#1194: Hercules Mulligan

56980f81871e4_cta1194herculesmulligan7-2

#1326: ?

#1342: Button Gwinnett

#1362: ?

#1476: ?

#1485: ?

#1505: Charles Carroll?

ctatransitnews19721977chic_05331.thumb.j

(credited to CTA transit news)

#9040: I will, the spirit of Chicago

569565f355fd6_CTa9040IWillTheSpiritOfchi

Superbus MAN demo: Baron Von Stueben

Flxible mini parade bus: Yankee Doodle

ctatransitnews19801981chic_0155.thumb.jp

S-367 Crane: Valley Forge

ctatransitnews19721977chic_0635.thumb.jp

Legend:

? - means we don't know what name it represented, but we do know it was bicentennial

• Upvote 1

After looking through some CTA publications from the 70's I've come across a few more of the bicentennial buses. I've learned the Superbus (or 70's MAN demo) was named after Baron Von Steuben. #1194 was named after Hercules Mulligan. There was a bus #1505 named after Charles Carroll. I'm surprised to have learned that at the end of 1975 there were 30 buses represented in a bicentennial scheme. The publications mention many names which were part of that fleet. Among the first of the bicentennial buses was Crispus Attucks which came for a dedication at the school of the same name (3813 s. Dearborn) There was also Thomas Johnson which was a Northwest side bus, Abigail Adams, John Hancock, Mercy Otis Warren, Button Gwinnett, Kazimier Pulaski, Prince Hall, Salem Poor, Edward Hector, Austin Dabney, John Harris, Lambo Latham, Cato Carlile, David Mitchell, Deborah Gannett, James Coopers, Paul Cuffee, Caesar Perry, Jabez Jolly, Lucy Terry, Benjamin Banneker and James Forlen. There was even a mini bus constructed depicting a 60's Flx bicentennial named the Yankee Doodle Dandy. I learned of another bicentennial bus not mentioned yet, #1062. Most of the buses seem to be General Motors buses the only Flx I know of is #3701. That's all I have learned so far.

I forgot about #1505.

In related news: I confirmed my girlfriend's report that Trains and Toys in Morton Grove closed, so you won't be able to buy one there.

Past time hobbies in Brookfield is where I saw the Corgi CTA Store models

Has anyone seen the tailamps of this model? I hope they dont put the 5303 style lamps as they did with the CFD fishbowl! I was dissapointed when I saw that. I almost didnt want to buy the model.

Has anyone seen the tailamps of this model? I hope they dont put the 5303 style lamps as they did with the CFD fishbowl! I was dissapointed when I saw that. I almost didnt want to buy the model.

You mean that someone goofed? I thought these were pretty realistic.

That may indicate that Corgi might have slightly done what some other dealer (who was selling NF CTA models as a paint job clearly on a NABI CNG model) did, which is have a standard model, and then just paint the details. At least the painted details were good, and it wasn't a Flx painted as a GMC.

You mean that someone goofed? I thought these were pretty realistic.

That may indicate that Corgi might have slightly done what some other dealer (who was selling NF CTA models as a paint job clearly on a NABI CNG model) did, which is have a standard model, and then just paint the details. At least the painted details were good, and it wasn't a Flx painted as a GMC.

The CFD Fishbowl Corgi did was nice but the model has taillamps of a 5303. The real bus was a 5307 model with the "cats eyes". I was disappointed to see they did this. I try not to look at the rear of the bus! :) I hope they dont make this mistake with the bicentennial bus.

• 1 month later...

I just got back from a trip to Past Time Hobbies. They have on display, four samples of the CTA Bicentennial fishbowl bus. One sample body, only the completed shell, missing was the a/c condenser unit and marker lamps. One will be numbered #7856/#37 Sedgewick which is the stores creation, will be limited to 200 models. The second model will be #1185/56A N. Milwaukee. The model looks overall pretty good. But once again, just as they did with the CFD fishbowl, they put taillamps of the 5303 models, not the regular 5307 "cats eyes" style taillamps, so that was disappointing to see. But if you could look past that, the model should be worth buying. Im still buying it despite that mistake. The red/white/blue striping looks really good. Not released just yet by the way.

• 1 month later...

I just got back from a trip to Past Time Hobbies. They have on display, four samples of the CTA Bicentennial fishbowl bus. One sample body, only the completed shell, missing was the a/c condenser unit and marker lamps. One will be numbered #7856/#37 Sedgewick which is the stores creation, will be limited to 200 models. The second model will be #1185/56A N. Milwaukee. The model looks overall pretty good. But once again, just as they did with the CFD fishbowl, they put taillamps of the 5303 models, not the regular 5307 "cats eyes" style taillamps, so that was disappointing to see. But if you could look past that, the model should be worth buying. Im still buying it despite that mistake. The red/white/blue striping looks really good. Not released just yet by the way.

I went to Past Time Hobbies myself looking for these buses mostly being interested in who they are named after. He had 2 #7856's in a glass display case (totally complete buses no shells) and he had #1185 in the middle which was just a shell. Anyway I looked to see who they were named after the #1185 shell said Thaddeus Kosciusko. The #7856 said John Hancock. So I figured those were accurate and looked at the other #7856 to make sure. The other #7856 was named Thaddeus Kosciusko. So his #7856's have two different names. I believe the two names are correct, it's just a matter of finding which of the two belongs where. With Thaddeus being of Polish descent would he really have been ran out of limits garage (#7856 was a limits bus at that time) or FG which would have been #1185's garage at that time. It would seem to me that Thaddeus is the #1185 bus because the high concentration of Poles on Milwaukee at that time. Also wouldn't they run a John Hancock bus in front of a building named after him. So it would appear #7856 would be the John Hancock. BTW, I've also learned that the #1342 bus was named after Button Gwinnett. So there's a few more names for us.

• 1 month later...

Just went to Past-Time Hobbies and picked mine up. #7856 and it looks awesome !!! :D

Im may go monday to pick mine up. I reserved the 1100 series with the "56A N Milwaukee" route on it. Only dissapointment is the wrong taillamps and no vertical exhaust like the 5307 GMCs. But Ill still get it!

• 5 years later...

Thanks to Mel Bernaro and his Flickr account, we now have shots of a few more bicentennial buses, I think I'm going to put together a list and maybe include pictures. Maybe I can put it under the roster under unique liveries. Here's the shots, they are all credited to Mel Bernaro

#7829: Charles Carroll

56949272d25ee_cta7829charlescarroll2-13-

#7767: Prince Hall

56949274bb87d_princehall77676-19-75.thum

#7747: John Rutledge

56949276ca607_johnrutledge7747.thumb.jpg

#1194; Hercules Mulligan

56949278a7bc8_cta1194herculesmulligan7-2

Hmm.... i had said #1505 was the Thomas Carroll bus, I'll have to research that again. There's quite a few shots of them in the CTA newsletters.

• Upvote 2