CTA Bus Joyrider

Vinny

So which chicagobus.org member was this?

I wouldnt have any doubt in my mind that this person is on this website! Its only a matter of him identifying himself which we know isnt going to happen. It may seem like a harmless prank but he placed the safety of everyone around him in danger not to mention he collided with another bus when he returned to 103rd. There he could have severely injured or killed someone. Whoever this person is, if he is on this site and he is reading this, I suggest you turn yourself in!. They have you on surveillance cameras! they have your face! Buddy, its only a matter of time before they catch you! The police nor the CTA will forget this and let it go! THEY ARE COMING FOR YOU! TURN YOURSELF IN!! NOW!!

... Whoever this person is, if he is on this site and he is reading this, I suggest you turn yourself in!. They have you on surveillance cameras! they have your face! Buddy, its only a matter of time before they catch you!

The mug shot would tend to eliminate some of us.

However, while I wouldn't come to the conclusion that it is someone on this website, I would follow up on the hint that the driver whose shirt was allegedly stolen knows more than what was let on, especially since the morning news indicates that the hijacker knew how to log into Bus Tracker. That process has been briefly described here, but I'm sure not in enough detail to do it.

While the suspect obviously had the badge number from the shirt, I think the bus drivers here still haven't answered:

• Why wasn't real identification checked? At least after the Water Department scandals, the city supposedly installed biometric check in devices, and even when I worked at a private company, I needed a key card to enter. Is CTA that backward?
  • Apparently, some supervisor gave the guy a run, and someone in the garage gave him a bus. How could that happen if no one knew him?
  • Heck, if the shirt was "stolen," why wasn't there an employee alert to look out for that number?

The mug shot would tend to eliminate some of us.

However, while I wouldn't come to the conclusion that it is someone on this website, I would follow up on the hint that the driver whose shirt was allegedly stolen knows more than what was let on, especially since the morning news indicates that the hijacker knew how to log into Bus Tracker. That process has been briefly described here, but I'm sure not in enough detail to do it.

While the suspect obviously had the badge number from the shirt, I think the bus drivers here still haven't answered:

• Why wasn't real identification checked? At least after the Water Department scandals, the city supposedly installed biometric check in devices, and even when I worked at a private company, I needed a key card to enter. Is CTA that backward?
  • Apparently, some supervisor gave the guy a run, and someone in the garage gave him a bus. How could that happen if no one knew him?
  • Heck, if the shirt was "stolen," why wasn't there an employee alert to look out for that number?

As a former CTA bus driver, I can truthfully say that garage clerks and supervisors dont always make the proper checks like they should. Im not surprised that an incident like this took place, the garages cant always be watched 24/7, buses are constantly being moved around the facilities and it dosent seem anyone takes a second look at whose behind the wheel. There isnt enough security or personnel to patrol the garages and yards in order to prevent another incident like this from happening again. Another possibility is that this individual could be a former CTA bus driver! Maybe recently laid off or terminated. I would also consider the possibliity this individual lives around or near the 103rd Garage.

Wow that is really crazy. I suppose the CTA is still in the dark ages. Isn't there a way to computerize checkins with ID BAdges which would double as a time card? Thus a badge would be required to clock in and be shown to the clerks before assigning anything. Also, they could also verify a clock in with their own supervisor badge.

Is there some kind of cryptic code out there today to start a bus ?? In my

days at Pace, it was turn the knob to run and push the button to start. It

is not rocket science...maybe to set all the glamor toys, but starting and

shutting down is and never has been all that difficult. For that matter, this

is certainly not the first time anyone has driven out of a garage with a bus...

things like this go back to the North Ave days in my lifetime, and I am sure

a lot farther back than that, and usually not ending with the bus finding its

way back to the garage !!!

I'm sure this incident will make it more difficult for those of us who enjoy photographing CTA equipment legally. :mellow:

Theres no doubt!

I dont know if this is true but I seem to recall another incident similar to this a few years ago. Only the bus wasant stolen, it was taken off its route and driven through the Gay Pride parade in Lakeview. I was told the driver later abandoned the bus and quit. Has anyone else heard of an incident like this happening?.

So which chicagobus.org member was this?

FWIW, it wasn't me... As far as logging in, don't you need a password to log into the clever devices box, as well as log into the box where the messages come into the operator? As far as starting the buses, I think all you have to do is turn it to "On" or "Run" and press the "Start Engine" button(I have seen the "Start Engine" button on the NOVA's and the New Flyers, as well as the knob that says "Engine Stop"). I would hope it's not that simple, but why can't the buses have keys like the school buses do?

• Upvote 1

FWIW, it wasn't me... As far as logging in, don't you need a password to log into the clever devices box, as well as log into the box where the messages come into the operator? As far as starting the buses, I think all you have to do is turn it to "On" or "Run" and press the "Start Engine" button(I have seen the "Start Engine" button on the NOVA's and the New Flyers, as well as the knob that says "Engine Stop"). I would hope it's not that simple, but why can't the buses have keys like the school buses do?

If buses had keys, the keys would be lost. whether by accident or on purpose

Theres no doubt!

I dont know if this is true but I seem to recall another incident similar to this a few years ago. Only the bus wasant stolen, it was taken off its route and driven through the Gay Pride parade in Lakeview. I was told the driver later abandoned the bus and quit. Has anyone else heard of an incident like this happening?.

I remember reading a story of a 35 year-old female CTA Bus Operator who just abandoned her bus, loaded with passengers, WB on Rt #80 @ Springfield in either the late 1990's or early 2000's(perhaps you remember/heard about this one, CTA5750, as you might've been driving for the CTA then).

I remember reading a story of a 35 year-old female CTA Bus Operator who just abandoned her bus, loaded with passengers, WB on Rt #80 @ Springfield in either the late 1990's or early 2000's(perhaps you remember/heard about this one, CTA5750, as you might've been driving for the CTA then).

I do recall one instance a few years back in which a CTA bus driver left his bus full of passengers on the #56 Milwaukee at NW station, walked off the job and went home.

If buses had keys, the keys would be lost. whether by accident or on purpose

At Academy, on the Pace Nabis, were instructed to shut off the battery of the bus when were done for the day. They should lock up the battery compartment and provide keys for the operators to access the compartment.

At Academy, on the Pace Nabis, were instructed to shut off the battery of the bus when were done for the day. They should lock up the battery compartment and provide keys for the operators to access the compartment.

CTA5750,

I have noticed when drivers are relieved at Central on Irving Park, I've noticed they have to do some button pressing on the Clever Device button as well as on the box where alerts come in(usually afterwards, it'll say "Login Successful 12345" or "Fallback Mode"). Also on the GFI Farebox, I notice the new operator presses a series of buttons. Don't they have to enter some sort of x-digit password before these units will let them log in? And if something isn't logged in, won't the Garage try contacting that bus and if the driver doesn't respond, then CPD and the CTA Police are called to intercept the bus?

CTA5750,

I have noticed when drivers are relieved at Central on Irving Park, I've noticed they have to do some button pressing on the Clever Device button as well as on the box where alerts come in(usually afterwards, it'll say "Login Successful 12345" or "Fallback Mode"). Also on the GFI Farebox, I notice the new operator presses a series of buttons. Don't they have to enter some sort of x-digit password before these units will let them log in? And if something isn't logged in, won't the Garage try contacting that bus and if the driver doesn't respond, then CPD and the CTA Police are called to intercept the bus?

Ive been away from CTA for five years now, Im sure some procedures may have changed since then but I do recall when we had to logon, we would provide all pertinent information of the driver as well as logging on to the farebox. When the driver was relived or pulled in, he would logoff all information on the MDT and the farebox. If logon was unsuccessful, then possibly the driver could get intercepted by CTA supervision, but I dont ever recall that ever happening. On Pace buses the procedures are very similar. The farebox logon procedure is identical to CTA. The MDT's on Pace, are very similar but just a different operating system.

I have the manual to the Siemens Transitmaster IBS system that Pace uses, but will have to find it. I could tell you, once I find it, if a password is required (I think it might be). Wouldn't mean much for the CTA's Clever Devices system though.

Does anyone remember a few years back, about a young man out in New York City, who had subway and bus operator uniforms? I think he was operating subways and buses for a few months before caught.

CTA5750,

I have noticed when drivers are relieved at Central on Irving Park, I've noticed they have to do some button pressing on the Clever Device button as well as on the box where alerts come in(usually afterwards, it'll say "Login Successful 12345" or "Fallback Mode")....

The news had said that the driver had logged in.

Anyway, Chicago Breaking News indicated that Darrell Jefferson thinks he knew who it was. Also, that CTA was considering getting the type of employee ID verification equipment I mentioned a couple of days ago.

Theres no doubt!

There was also the incident long ago (that andre talked about on rhe chicago transit forum on yahoo) about a drunk man who took a bus out (#397) and hit several parked cars with it. That resulted in the retirement of that bus. So this does happen now and then.

The news had said that the driver had logged in.

Anyway, Chicago Breaking News indicated that Darrell Jefferson thinks he knew who it was. Also, that CTA was considering getting the type of employee ID verification equipment I mentioned a couple of days ago.

Theres no doubt to the suspicion that this was the act of a former CTA employee. The actions that this individual took could only be carried out by someone who is very familiar with CTA bus operations. Knowing how to start the bus!, logon to the MDT system!, login to the farebox! operating the bus, boarding and alighting passengers!, operating the bus in traffic! His only screw up is that he smashed into another bus when he brought it back. Aside from that, I believe this was the act of a former CTA operator possibly laid off or discharged.

• 1 month later...

I was Channel 9 news this evening and talk about that person who stole the bus was a homeless guy and the police let this person go and the manager at 103rd Street got in trouble for not tell the CTA about the bus being stolen and CTA did not tell us the public until 4 days later and he suspended for 2 weeks without paid.