Train tracker

Busjack

• 1 month later...

In case you guys don't know, CTA is supposed to have a press conference tomorrow on the upgrade of Train Tracker from beta 1 to beta 2. Link here http://blogs.suntimes.com/news/2013/05/cta_rolls_out_new_spiffed_up_train_tracker.html Now you'll be able to track trains just like buses on an interactive screen. So we should be able to see what's happening on the south side elevated in real time. (screens are already up and running just click on the train tracker link in the Sun times article.)

In case you guys don't know, CTA is supposed to have a press conference tomorrow on the upgrade of Train Tracker from beta 1 to beta 2. Link here http://blogs.suntimes.com/news/2013/05/cta_rolls_out_new_spiffed_up_train_tracker.html Now you'll be able to track trains just like buses on an interactive screen. So we should be able to see what's happening on the south side elevated in real time. (screens are already up and running just click on the train tracker link in the Sun times article.)

I'm looking forward to use the train tracker for this Sunday for the Red Line. :)

It's nice that they show when a train is running express with a "will not stop" indication.

It would be nice if would show the head car number so I could avoid riding the 5000s.

I don't know if that is a proper purpose in CTA's eyes. but that obviously is a difference between Bus Tracker showing vehicle numbers and Train Tracker not.*

In the case of older equipment, the train number has to be input into the system and vehicle numbers aren't transmitted, but supposedly the 5000s transmit their vehicle information for diagnostic purposes, so theoretically it could be retrieved.

_________

*I wonder, for instance, whether somebody lets a New Flyer pass on Garfield because they really want to ride a Nova (or vice versa).

I'm not sure all the bugs are out yet. Clicking on the Yellow Line on the map indicates, of course, that departures from Dempster are per schedule (asterisk), but no trains on the track, and at Oakton a legend that the train is due.

Update: Then train 591 appeared as just leaving Howard. Maybe service on that line is too sparse for the map to be meaningful.

I'm not sure all the bugs are out yet. Clicking on the Yellow Line on the map indicates, of course, that departures from Dempster are per schedule (asterisk), but no trains on the track, and at Oakton a legend that the train is due.

Update: Then train 591 appeared as just leaving Howard. Maybe service on that line is too sparse for the map to be meaningful.

There should be 3 trains in service on the yellow line. I think when they give you the asterisk, there saying they don't know when the train will arrive. The signs might have a default that goes to scheduled service times when it loses a train. Signs are appearing that way all over the system, it's not unique to station terminals. I had a sign like that at Garfield/Green line the other day.

There should be 3 trains in service on the yellow line. I think when they give you the asterisk, there saying they don't know when the train will arrive. The signs might have a default that goes to scheduled service times when it loses a train. Signs are appearing that way all over the system, it's not unique to station terminals. I had a sign like that at Garfield/Green line the other day.

It must be screwed up. A half hour after my last observation, only 591 shows up again, just leaving Howard.

But the screwiest thing is that Oakton and Dempster both show trains arriving 16 minutes apart, but leaving a half hour apart. There certainly isn't any run that terminates at Dempster.

post-14-0-74995600-1368718566_thumb.jpg

Checked again and the Green Line to Ashland/63 never gets there, nor is it scheduled to in the map version of Train Tracker.

For instance, right now there are 2 back to back SB Green Line Trains:

#007 to Cottage Grove

47th Due

51st 2 min.

Garfield 3 min.

King Drive 7 min.

Cottage Grove 9 min.

#609 to Ashland/63rd

43rd 2 min.

47th 3 min.

51st 4 min.

Garfield 5 min.

Halsted 12 min.

The second one never shows Ashland/63rd as an upcoming stop. On the map visually, it disappears from the map going WB just before arriving at Halsted/63rd. Between Garfield and just before Halsted, shows only Halsted as an upcoming stop.

I hoping that this is a temporary "Green to Red" glitch, meaning that the Red line will show up correctly early Sunday morning and it wasn't worth creating the Green line terminus(in Train Tracker) and switching to it being a Red line terminus Saturday night/Sunday morning.

• 4 years later...
6 minutes ago, Busjack said:

Also fairly useless, except perhaps for the advertiser.

Won't comment on advertising at that station.

The signage on the tracker at the Green Line Harlem station gives minutes for the departures but doesn't  differentiate whether the train is going to 63/Ashland or Cottage Grove.  All of the other Green Line trackers do..

• 6 years later...