cta Bus and Train Operation Jobs

Mr.cta85

Since I've been a on this site I've noticed alot of you are either current or retired bus and rail operators. As for me I've always wanted to do either one of these awesome positions since I was 3 and I still do to this very day. I just wanted to know if you guys could help me get in. Lately I've seen alot of Instruction Buses and Trains but yet cta always say they're not hiring or none of those postions are ever posted on the career site. So what am I suppose to do to make my dreams of becoming a cta Bus Operator or Rail Operator a reality? Just asking for any information or anything that will help me.

Since I've been a on this site I've noticed alot of you are either current or retired bus and rail operators. As for me I've always wanted to do either one of these awesome positions since I was 3 and I still do to this very day. I just wanted to know if you guys could help me get in. Lately I've seen alot of Instruction Buses and Trains but yet cta always say they're not hiring or none of those postions are ever posted on the career site. So what am I suppose to do to make my dreams of becoming a cta Bus Operator or Rail Operator a reality? Just asking for any information or anything that will help me.

Well first thing you need to figure out is which job would you be more suited for. Theres obviously differences in both bus and rail. I can tell you as former CTA bus operator, be prepared to have "tough skin"! CTA operators can be subjected to lots of abuse and Im not just referring to the nasty, foul mouthed people that occasionally board the buses! :) Theres lots of things to think about when operating a CTA bus. Being able to handle situations such as weather, traffic, construction zones, making good decisions, etc... If you feel this is for you then go for it! If you like the rails more then give that a try. The first step to entering CTA is to get a resume ready and mail it in. Now if youre so excited about becoming a bus operator, why dont you try Pace in the meantime? Pace is much easier to get results. You can walk into the bus garage of your choice and fill out an application, thats what I did when I applied at Pace North Shore. You can take it home with you and return it at a later date. They will tell you when to report for testing, usually is at the garage you are applying at. I understand its not CTA, but Pace is much easier than waiting for CTA. Hope this helps!

Well first thing you need to figure out is which job would you be more suited for. Theres obviously differences in both bus and rail. I can tell you as former CTA bus operator, be prepared to have "tough skin"! CTA operators can be subjected to lots of abuse and Im not just referring to the nasty, foul mouthed people that occasionally board the buses! :) Theres lots of things to think about when operating a CTA bus. Being able to handle situations such as weather, traffic, construction zones, making good decisions, etc... If you feel this is for you then go for it! If you like the rails more then give that a try. The first step to entering CTA is to get a resume ready and mail it in to CTA. Now if youre so excited about becoming a bus operator, why dont you try Pace in the meantime? Pace is much easier to get results. You can walk into the bus garage of your choice and fill out an application, thats what I did when I applied at Pace North Shore. You can take it home with you and return it at a later date. They will tell you when to report for testing, usually is at the garage you are applying at. I understand its not CTA, but Pace is much easier than waiting for CTA. Hope this helps!

Thank's alot I REALLY appreciate that!! Yeah you're right I'm leaning more towards the Buses cause I already have a cdl liscense just need to get my air brakes endorsed. But I actually tried Pace too and im still waiting on them to call. But once again thanks alot im going to do just like you said in regards to the Resume and continue to try cta and Pace. Thanks and God bless you

You also have to figure that CTA laid off 1100 union workers last February. They get recall rights before anyone gets hired off the street. So, that's why there are no postings.

Yeah that's true also. So for now I'll just keep trying with Pace and wait for the cta doors to open for me. Once again thanks alot you guys for your help and info

Yeah that's true also. So for now I'll just keep trying with Pace and wait for the cta doors to open for me. Once again thanks alot you guys for your help and info

Busjack is right, considering the situation at CTA, youre probably better off just applying for Pace.

If youre that passionate about driving transit buses, you sound so! :) Then consider Pace, but as far as trying CTA, you might have a bit of a wait. Im not trying to discourage you, maybe you can be successful with it. The point is just to give it a try at CTA, what have you got to lose right?? :) But in the meantime make Pace an option for you as well. And do go get your air brake endorsement ASAP! Dont wait!

You also have to figure that CTA laid off 1100 union workers last February. They get recall rights before anyone gets hired off the street. So, that's why there are no postings.

To elaborate on what Busjack says, The CTA is not supposed to hire anyone new for up to a year after the layoffs. However if it needs employees it will call back some of those laid off. After next february, it no longer has to call those workers back, but if they should reapply they will most likely be considered before a new hire never before working for CTA. Just so you know.

• Upvote 4

To elaborate on what Busjack says, The CTA is not supposed to hire anyone new for up to a year after the layoffs. However if it needs employees it will call back some of those laid off. After next february, it no longer has to call those workers back, but if they should reapply they will most likely be considered before a new hire never before working for CTA. Just so you know.

I hadn't heard that one before. I'll admit that it has been 11 months since I've had any reason to page through the wages and working conditions agreement between CTA and local 241, but I don't recall seeing that written in there anywhere.

I was under the assumption that, as long as the laid off operator doesn't formally resign, he/she will always have a right to recall, in seniority order, before any new operators are hired.

• 3 weeks later...

I heard the same thing

I hadn't heard that one before. I'll admit that it has been 11 months since I've had any reason to page through the wages and working conditions agreement between CTA and local 241, but I don't recall seeing that written in there anywhere.

I was under the assumption that, as long as the laid off operator doesn't formally resign, he/she will always have a right to recall, in seniority order, before any new operators are hired.

I'll take this one.

According to the Metropolitian Transit Act of Illinois (more formally known as the "MTA"), any laid off employee is eligible to a return to their position for a period of one year. However (and this is a big however that CTA actually tried to argue), any working conditions in which a union contract is in place shall be governed by the terms of the agreement. According to the current contract language, laid off workers shall be laid off by seniority and recalled by seniority with no mention of any such time limit.

Additionally, as it is mentioned in the pension handbook, the CTA holds onto pension monies for a period of up to three years after you depart the company. Being that this is so, and technically speaking the company has legal obligations to dispurse your money to you after 90 days, CTA is legally obligated to recall you to your previous position for that designated amount of time.

Now, I don't know how much fact is behind this, but my understandings are that the retirement/attritition levels from four months previous to the first of the year are so high that its possible that all the laid off workers could be recalled and even some new hiring could be done sometimes next year.

Of course, you also have to consider that it would make no sense to run right to the fresh meat bandwagon and hire hundreds of new employees right away, throw thousands of dollars worth of training and hiring time while you still have people on the bench waiting to make the play that you simply can run a few days of refresher thru their brains and get them going again.

Of course, I do not claim to be 100% accurate on any or all of this, so if anyone knows something to be in error, you are more than welcome to correct me.

The CTA can recall a laid off employee after Feb 2011, but it is not obligated to. What is confusing to me, is that Pace should be following this too, but if you look at Pace's site they seem to be hiring new employees even bringing in one of our members for an interview. I was under the understanding that this applies to all mass transit workers in the state. I don't believe they could have recalled all their employees. So I don't know if people applying for those jobs are wasting there time or not. Only someone working for Pace can answer that.

The CTA can recall a laid off employee after Feb 2011, but it is not obligated to. What is confusing to me, is that Pace should be following this too, but if you look at Pace's site they seem to be hiring new employees even bringing in one of our members for an interview. I was under the understanding that this applies to all mass transit workers in the state. I don't believe they could have recalled all their employees. So I don't know if people applying for those jobs are wasting there time or not. Only someone working for Pace can answer that.

I was going to say in response to FG that it would help to post links to resolve this. With regard to the number being recalled, the most recent President's Report says that some 400 had been recalled as of November.

However, with regard to Pace, it is not governed by the Metropolitan Transit Authority Act, but only by Article III-A of the RTA Act. Trainman also has frequently pointed out that each division has its own labor contract, and sec. 3A-14 goes into special provisions that may or may not be contained in such a contract. Without getting into the merits of what FG said, there is absolutely no basis for saying that one law governs all transit authorities in the state. Also, if you are implying that Pace has some obligation to CTA employees, well, they aren't Pace employees.

But again, this could only apply to non-union employees because of the provision within the RTA law that a labor agreement prevails in regards to this issue. This is what the entire arguement was about back in March and April. Notice not much has been said on it since....

But again, I do not claim to be 100% accurate on any of this, only how it was explained to me.

But again, this could only apply to non-union employees because of the provision within the RTA law that a labor agreement prevails in regards to this issue. This is what the entire arguement was about back in March and April. Notice not much has been said on it since....

But again, I do not claim to be 100% accurate on any of this, only how it was explained to me.

Actually sec. 28 of the MTA Act.

When the number of positions or employees holding positions of regular employment within a particular job title and job schedule number are reduced, those employees with the least company seniority in that job title and job schedule number shall be first released from regular employment service. For a period of one year, an employee released from service shall be eligible for reinstatement to the job title and job schedule number from which he or she was released, in order of company seniority, if additional force of employees is required.
When employees are represented by a labor organization that has a labor agreement with the Authority, the wages, hours, and working conditions (including, but not limited to, seniority rights) shall be governed by the terms of the agreement.

I bring that up in that I previously said that the CTA was governed by the MTA Act, while Pace is governed by the RTA Act.

While I previously said that it would help to post links, I remember saying about that time that what the arbitrator said, including with regard to the meaning of the contract and the law of the shop is final. Since I have not been appointed arbitrator.... :P

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I also applied and wanted to know if anyone has heard back yet. If there is any employees here reading this on boards can you tell us any news regarding the jobs if you can? That'd be great! Thanks.

I've also applied and I called cta to ask about my application. What they explained to me was they do their call backs on a 1st come 1st serve basis. They opened the combined Rail Operator position on March 1st so depending on the day you applied depends on the chance of you getting called back I applied on the 5th of March and still got nothing back. They also said that they only looking for like 40 or so people for the training process. I guess depending on how the 1st lucky 40 or so did on their training depends on rather if they would call anybody back or not. Hopefully you will get a call back soon though.

A job posting being down doesn't mean the hiring process is finished. Job postings often come down before they even call people in for interviews.

It just means they aren't accepting applicants anymore. Depending on the position, and how backlogged HR is with other stuff, it could be a few weeks to a couple months before they call someone (I'm speaking generally, not necessarily CTA specific).

• Upvote 1