West Division - Changes & Restructuring

RJL6000

...Since the 320 wasn't mentioned,  that eliminates combining the new Austin route with 320.   ...

320 would still remain a separate route number, but it appeared pretty clearly (especially when they said that eliminating 320 Saturday service meant that the 315 schedule was affected) that the 2 swap at Austin and Madison.

What you said about not wanting to overlap CTA 86 and 91 makes sense, especially as the notices said that it was to reduce service duplication. I have the feeling that, besides the Sunday change, they might have also figured that Austin and Ridgeland may benefit from separate headways.

My predictions:

305: The only change I can see are changes to Sunday/Holiday service, the Austin to 35th portion would be discontinued since the new 315 will be serving that. Sunday service would basically run the same as Saturday, operating the full length of the route with 60 min headways.

315: The two new routes would use Morton College as the southern terminal, I'd imagine some interlining will be done at that location as well. Beside that, I don't see any bigger changes, I don't see either route going further south than 39th.

I don't think there's a market to Midway (yet), but I could argue that 305 and 315 will have their own Sunday service, Ridgeland and Laramie would see their own routes as a result of the plan (thinking 305 is broken in three parts, and 315 remains on Austin). The question is, where on the Northeast end of the market could the routes serve without severing existing 305 (AND 12) connections?

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like 305 will change and split into 305 and 316 and 315 will split into 314 and 315.

305 will run from *Forest Park to Cicero Congress Blue via Des Plaines, Roosevelt, Laramie, Harrison, and Cicero to Blue Line station where the 305 changes to the 316 where it will proceed south on Cicero to Roosevelt, west on Roosevelt to Laramie and continue south on Laramie to Morton College.

316 will leave Morton College via Pershing, Austin, 35th, Laramie to Harrison, Cicero serving Blue Line, change to 305 continue on Cicero to Roosevelt going west to Des Plaines to Forest Park*.

305 Daily Service between Forest Park and Cicero BlueLine.

316 Laramie Mon-Sat service between Morton College and Cicero BlueLine.

At Cicero BlueLine 305 and 316 would interline for one seat ride btwn Forest Park and Morton College.

*Forest Park to Harlem/North Blvd would be served by increased service on 318.

315 Austin would run btwn Morton College and Austin/Lake GreenLine. Daily service.

314 Ridgeland would run between Morton College and Ridgeland/Lake GreenLine. Mon-Sat.

From the hearing for 305 and 315.

• Upvote 3

*Forest Park to Harlem/North Blvd would be served by increased service on 318.

Any word on the current 305s to Division/Thatcher (Concordia, Dominican universities)? Maybe it doesn't matter, as I see only one trip indicated on the schedule.

Finally 307 gets better service south of oak park.  This is a good idea as reduces overlay service with cta and puts more service on the south end.   Also anyone see that pace submitted an rta planning application for studying land use and pre development of ART service south of oak park?  Wonder if these two are related?

Finally 307 gets better service south of oak park.  This is a good idea as reduces overlay service with cta and puts more service on the south end.   Also anyone see that pace submitted an rta planning application for studying land use and pre development of ART service south of oak park?  Wonder if these two are related?

Do you have a link for that?

Do you have a link for that?

The underlined sentence answers the question to why this is happening now. It would help to have a link to the second part, as the two aren't mutually exclusive, but we don't know for sure if its a thing.

Edited by MetroShadow

Passenger Notice now posted, except the only big change is for 307. Rest, including 305, are the usual tinkering. Also, it appears that 322 gets significant additional service.

I was on the 305 yesterday and I heard a guy say that he was actually at the Pace hearing.  He said a lot of people were complaining and wanted to keep their one seat ride to Morton College as it pertains to the current 305 and 315.  I could be wrong, but it seems like if there was a backlash at those hearings, then Pace may be scrapping their plans for adjusting those routes. 

I was on the 305 yesterday and I heard a guy say that he was actually at the Pace hearing.  He said a lot of people were complaining and wanted to keep their one seat ride to Morton College as it pertains to the current 305 and 315.  I could be wrong, but it seems like if there was a backlash at those hearings, then Pace may be scrapping their plans for adjusting those routes. 

They would have to take it to the board, which is why it is not on this pick.

However, other than cutting back 305 at Forest Park, I don't see what the big deal is here. If it is as described, Morton College gets more service. The only difference as far as 305 is concerned (according to renardo) is that 305 goes to Cicero Blue Line, and then flips to 316, which then goes to Morton College. Nobody has to get out of their seat.

I saw the pace study on rta website under 2015 community study requests.  Sorry I cant figure out how to link directly

Link is here.

Particular application is here.

Note that this is only an application for money. While most of these are for consultant welfare, Pace's do have credibility in that something similar is actually being done on 95th.

They would have to take it to the board, which is why it is not on this pick.

However, other than cutting back 305 at Forest Park, I don't see what the big deal is here. If it is as described, Morton College gets more service. The only difference as far as 305 is concerned (according to renardo) is that 305 goes to Cicero Blue Line, and then flips to 316, which then goes to Morton College. Nobody has to get out of their seat.

True.  However you have added 10 to 15 minutes travel time in each direction.  Does Pace think they have tapped into increased ridership with this new routing serving the Cicero/Blue Line.  It seems to be unnecessary since Blue Line riders can exit at Austin and take the 315 to Morton College or use the Pink Line to the 54/Cermak where the 305 (316) can get them there.  Honestly there is no reason to alter the 305 from its current routing, even if the Forest Park to Green Line portion is axed.

• 4 weeks later...

No confirmation (yet) of that. If those changes were to occur, those would have been to improve connections with other Pace routes that connect to those two routes.

310 basically raises the issue if they intend to increase frequency on a stretch mostly already covered by 303 and 317 on Sunday. Basically only relevant west of 19th (303) or  Bellwood (317).

Oh cool. I heard the 310 and 330 will be running on Sundays around that time as well.

The 330 used to have Sunday service a few years ago.  It ran once an hour between 10 a.m and 6 p.m.

If the 310 were to institute Sunday service, it would give the Madison portion east of 19th Ave 20 minute headways with the 303, 310, and 317 maintaining hourly service.

• Upvote 1