CTA Rail Service Alerts

sw4400

12/5/11 5:55p

Red & Purple Line Riders: Service Disruption between the Berwyn and Addison Stations(Red) and no Purple Line Express trains at this time...

Train Service Details:

Trains are operating in two sections:

Between Howard and Berwyn & between Addison and 95th only.

Alternate Service:

Shuttle buses are available to provide connecting service between the affected area(s).

Service Interruption Update(s): Service interrupted due to CPD standoff that lasted about six hours(4:30p-10:30p). Three suspects finally surrendered around 10:30p, one of which was arrested earlier. Unconfirmed reports are that one suspect is a fugitive from another state. Full Story

12/5/11 5:55p

Red & Purple Line Riders: Service Disruption between the Berwyn and Addison Stations(Red) and no Purple Line Express trains at this time...

Train Service Details:

Trains are operating in two sections:

Between Howard and Berwyn & between Addison and 95th only.

Alternate Service:

Shuttle buses are available to provide connecting service between the affected area(s).

Service Interruption Update(s): Service interrupted due to CPD standoff that lasted about six hours(4:30p-10:30p). Three suspects finally surrendered around 10:30p, one of which was arrested earlier. Unconfirmed reports are that one suspect is a fugitive from another state. Full Story

I boarded a north bound Red Line train Monday night at the 35th St station.

I did not hear of a problem until the train reached Belmont. If an announcement had

been made prior to leaving the Lake station I would have de-trained and taken the #147.

:angry: CTA needs to improve it's communication.

Gene King

12/2/11 4:39p

Upcoming Alert for 12/10/11

Purple Line Riders: Minor Delays due to single-track operation between Davis and Central. Board/Exit all trains on the Howard-bound platform at the Foster and Noyes Stations.

This is due to maintenance being performed at the Noyes Station.

12/15/11 7:02p

Yellow Line Riders: Major Delays due to mechanical problems near Niles Center Road.

Alternate Service: Use the #97 Skokie bus

Service Interruption Update(s): Service Suspended due to mechanical problems near Niles Center Road. #97 Skokie bus remains as Alternate Service to Yellow Line at this time...

• 1 month later...

1/18/12 9:53a

Upcoming Alert for 1/21/12-1/22/12

Yellow Line Riders: Service Suspended for the weekend due to construction of a new rail station at Oakton St.

Alternate Service:

Bus Shuttles replace rail service between Howard and Skokie

Alternate Service is also available on the #97 Skokie Bus.

• 2 weeks later...

The CTA is running some sort of shuttle this morning between 35th and the branches. Update fortcoming.

Red Line trains were running over the top early this morning. Shuttle buses were in place at 35th Red Line. There was a power outage at the 13th ST interlocking.

Tribune said derailment in the subway. As usual, a debate between CTA VP of PR and passengers whether the operator directed passengers on another train stranded when the power was shut off to evacuate.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank God this happened after Midnight on the Blue Line at Logan Square, not during the rush hour... can you imagine the angry people forced to wait in powerless railcars in the subway/elevated sections nearby for this?

Saw it on the noon news, and I see it is now on the home page.

Anyway, it reinforces the point I made on the CTA Tattler that The Taking of Pelham 1-2-3 was full of baloney, because they can shut off the power to the tracks, and hence stop a hijacked subway train. Apparently here, also to keep a chicken from cooking itself (or becoming a pressed chicken without the brick), although birds are often on the third rail with impunity (I guess they aren't grounded).

3/2/12 6:16p

Red Line Riders: Service Disruption as trains are being rerouted to the elevated tracks due to a medical emergency near Grand.

Service Interruption Update(s): Service is restored, but Minor Delays continue as trains are bypassing the Grand Station in both directions due to a medical emergency.

Service was disrupted due to a CTA Worker who made contact with a train near the Grand Station.(Story)

3/7/12 8:52p

Upcoming Alert For 3/10/12-3/11/12 & 3/17/12-3/18/12

Brown Line Riders: Service Interruption between the Belmont and Southport Stations. Trains will operate from Kimball to Southport and Belmont to the Loop.

Alternate Service: Shuttle Buses will replace Rail Service between Southport and Belmont.

This is due to track maintenance to ensure trains continue to operate safely on the Brown Line.

Several reports of smoke in the Red Line Subway the last four days. All caused by smoking brakes. The only think I think could be causing smoking brakes is locked brakes on a car, but wouldn't the cab issue an alert to the Rail Operator is there was a problem like this on one of the railcars?

Several reports of smoke in the Red Line Subway the last four days. All caused by smoking brakes. The only think I think could be causing smoking brakes is locked brakes on a car, but wouldn't the cab issue an alert to the Rail Operator is there was a problem like this on one of the railcars?

The Tribune said that the CFD found no smoke. Other than that, it appears that former Stroger spox is apparently current CTA spox (using FNC lingo).