CTA Rail Service Alerts

sw4400

3/8/17 1:12p

Rail Line(s) Affected: Blue

Level Of Service Interruption: Service Partially Suspended

Information: Blue Line service has been temporarily suspended between Jefferson Park and California due to a medical emergency on the tracks. As a result, trains are operating in two sections:

• between Jefferson Park and O'Hare
  • between California and Forest Park.

Alternate Service: For alternate service through the affected area, consider using the #56 Milwaukee, #77 Belmont, #78 Montrose, #80 Irving Park, #81 Lawrence, and #152 Addison buses. Shuttle buses are available for connecting service from Jefferson Park to California for service between affected stations. O'Hare-bound shuttle trains from Logan Square to Jefferson Park bypassing Addison are available.

Media Source(s): ABC7

Rail Alert Blue Line March 8, 2017.jpg

On 3/8/2017 at 1:17 PM, sw4400 said:

due to a medical emergency on the tracks

Again, it ain't no medical emergency. Tribune home page has that someone one jumped on the tracks at Addison and was fatally struck by a train. I guess not even CTA spokesperson can use the term "killed." Maybe Metra can reclassify all the "pedestrian stuck and killed on the tracks" incidents as "medical emergencies" and cure its problem, real or perceptual.

BTW, if there was some reason to archive this, CTA Tweets already has:

And, as one reply said:

[the tweeter must have deleted it, but it was something about doesn't @cta know it was a death]

37 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

If the trains were ever fully automated i see jumpers on the cta as a thing of the past because you could program exactly where trains would stop and build glass  walls similar to the people mover setup. I bet the people mover has no jumpers!!

There is supposed to be the berthing positioning system, eventually, but we previously debated there whether that had anything to do with an intent to place gates at the platform edge. However, since people can jump on the tracks nearly anywhere, the issue gets down to whether the autonomous  vehicle theory of that one can put enough cameras and radar on a vehicle to stop it in case of an obstruction in time is feasible (cf.the Tesla that struck a truck). Theoretically, one could go back to the 1910s technology of putting a "safety fender" (cow catcher) in front of each streetcar truck.

It doesn't always help to have a cow catcher as the Chicago/Blue line jumper who jumped into a #2200's car long ago jumped into the front glass of the car.

Strange thing though, if a body was found on the tracks as was stated here, the operator of the striking train did not know they striked this man the other day which makes me wonder if he fell into or between cars, maybe intoxicated or possibly fried himself, but he would probably be smoking as 600 volts is pretty powerful. They got some real wild homeless guys that ride in the mornings cause I ride in the early mornings, they lay on the floor and everything. (That's really a shame but what are you going to do) If they lay in the floor whose to say they don't fall between cars.

It might actually be worth it for cta to enclose it's stations, (thinking of the Korean who leaked on the 3rd rail electrocuting himself and won a lawsuit for millions) theoretically a system could be programmed to stop the train at stations and have an operator. Planes use an ILS beakon at all modern airports that guide planes right to the runways landing point. Virtually with that system a pilot could fly blind. But if CTA did do that I don't see why they would still have an operator unless you could argue the situation in Washington with the automated train accident and needing a human to watch the computer and make sure it don't screw up. Probably this is coming but it's 10-20 years away as I don't think they'll be operators by then.

13 hours ago, BusHunter said:

but he would probably be smoking as 600 volts is pretty powerful.

There was the one of 2 twins from Glenview who was pushed off the platform at Howard and was electrocuted.

13 hours ago, BusHunter said:

It might actually be worth it for cta to enclose it's stations, (thinking of the Korean who leaked on the 3rd rail electrocuting himself and won a lawsuit for millions)

That had nothing to do with the station, but just someone who trespassed on the grade level tracks.

36 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

Yeah but the idea of an enclosed station is to cut off access entirely. You can't jump on a people mover track unless you get a ladder and climb up to the structure!! Lol!!

Still don't know if you are responding to Mr. Lee having taken a leak on the tracks. He never entered the station. Might have done some good for one half of the La Valles.

1 hour ago, Busjack said:

Still don't know if you are responding to Mr. Lee having taken a leak on the tracks. He never entered the station. Might have done some good for one half of the La Valles.

Here the wilmette gates come into consideration but they would probably wear out on the brown line!!

• 2 weeks later...

Red line trains are running over the top due to a medical emergency at grand. Nb service is non existent right now at belmont 

Hmm I wonder if this affects dual red line service out south. They might need some people around 16th to open switches unless the tower is equipped there. It always looked unmanned when I pass it. Maybe not today though.

• Upvote 1