Red & Purple Modernization Project (RPM)

Kevin

Either Kevin Z or Kevin O indicated such for Bryn Mawr, and it was stated for the separate project for Wilson, but I think that it would take more money to do so here.

The Press Release to which Kevin Z linked also mentioned "In addition to the North Red 7 stations improvement project, the $1B Red Line investment will include a number of other projects on the Howard branch of the Red Line, including a complete reconstruction of the Wilson station (est. $200M); Major station rehabs at Sheridan, Bryn Mawr and Loyola stations (costs TBD)..." so, I guess one could add Sheridan to that list. Loyola is already accessible and the project there is mostly at street level.

The Press Release also says:

So, unless you want to be like someone else and read into it something that is not there...

From what I understand, this is just a rehab of the 7 stations, new ties from Howard to Belmont on the express track, new ties from Howard to Linden all tracks. They also want to rebuild 3 substations as part of this project. This will extend the line to the RPM. The RPM is going through an EIS and the rest of the studies before getting approved. Maybe as much as 10 years away. So no there will be no handicapped accessibility where that's not already in place, but it will happen at the stations that are slated for rebuilding like Wilson and Clark/Division. There will be no structure improvement, other than at the station themselves. Now as far as the RPM when it does happen, they want to replace the structure from Belmont to Wilson, embankment from Wilson to Howard and Howard and Linden. They also want to upgrade the power there as well. That's slated to be a $2 to $4 billion dollar project and likely will be fighting for funding against the 130th south Dan Ryan extension. (if they don't get that started soon) Then there's the Dan Ryan rehab too next year which is tracks and power. One question I have in all this is will there be a tie replacement on tracks 2 and 3 on the local tracks between Howard and Belmont, because from what I stated above it sounds like there not doing that.

• 1 month later...

Work at Granville station has started. It closed Friday night, June 1, as announced weeks before.

What they didn't announce until Thursday was that other nearby stations (Loyola, Morse, Jarvis) were going to have limited service for the weekend - northbound service only. It's not a surprise because of limited crossovers in that area, but it is a surprise the CTA waited so late to announce it.

Also, according to the CTATattler (see links below)*, it was a big surprise to the alderman and community around Morse when Morse ave and Glenwood ave were closed off to traffic on Thursday morning with no notice. Looks like someone at CTA (the construction manager??) dropped the ball on that one.

________

* Edited to further clarify the source of this linked information, 6.3.12, 9:16 a.m

Work at Granville station has started. It closed Friday night, June 1, as announced weeks before.

What they didn't announce until Thursday was that other nearby stations (Loyola, Morse, Jarvis) were going to have limited service for the weekend - northbound service only. It's not a surprise because of limited crossovers in that area, but it is a surprise the CTA waited so late to announce it.

Also, it was a big surprise to the alderman and community around Morse when Morse ave and Glenwood ave were closed off to traffic on Thursday morning with no notice. Looks like someone at CTA (the construction manager??) dropped the ball on that one.

As indicated by the CTA Tatter.

How come you didn't announce it to Joe Moore??? What happened to your source???????????????

As indicated by the CTA Tatter.

Indeed, as indicated by the Tattler. Which is why I linked to the Tattler twice - to two different Tattler stories on this topic. Do the attribution links not show up on your browser?

How come you didn't announce it to Joe Moore??? What happened to your source???????????????

What's with the animus? Have I offended you?

• Upvote 3

Indeed, as indicated by the Tattler. Which is why I linked to the Tattler twice - to two different Tattler stories on this topic. Do the attribution links not show up on your browser?

I had read it on the Tattler, and hence didn't need your links. I had only indicated that was informed of that point about 12 to 36 hours prior to you thinking you had brought it to our attention.

What's with the animus? Have I offended you?

If you hadn't picked up on the Mark Felt references two months ago, you won't now. At least when I got after those with the 100 bus order, verifiable proof came up within a couple of hours. I apologize to them.

But we are supposed to believe that while every preacher on the south side knows as a fact about a closure on the south end, nobody knew anything about a north end one that actually happened?

You are a loose cannon. Given that you spilled the beans on the procurement site, maybe Tony Coppoletta is going to reprogram that and that is the end of any of us getting any specs, unless our name is Tyrone N. Flyer.

In the meantime, although someone else started that one up, I suppose that if I believed everything on the Internet, the CDOT central project will be on Madison, while the buses on Randolph.

If you hadn't picked up on the Mark Felt references two months ago, you won't now. At least when I got after those with the 100 bus order, verifiable proof came up within a couple of hours. I apologize to them.

Oh, I understood your Mark Felt references. It's not exactly obscure history that he was the Deep Throat of the investigation into the Watergate scandal. It's just that analogy didn't/doesn't apply to me, so I didn't feel compelled to reply.

But we are supposed to believe that while every preacher on the south side knows as a fact about a closure on the south end, nobody knew anything about a north end one that actually happened?

Not sure to what you are referring. I'm not suggesting that every preacher on the south side knows as a fact about the planned closure. If I wrote something that seemed to imply that, or was so obscurely written that it misled you to infer that, please point it out. That would surely be worth a clarification.

You are a loose cannon. Given that you spilled the beans on the procurement site, maybe Tony Coppoletta is going to reprogram that and that is the end of any of us getting any specs, unless our name is Tyrone N. Flyer.

Well, this is a bit like the pot calling the kettle black. You weren't exactly speaking (or writing) in code when you posted that "you don't have to give real identifying information" in this post from Feb 2012.

And you were even more clear about not providing real, identifying information in an August 2008 post, where you stated about the registration page: "But apparently you provided real identifying information. I didn't."

So, for you to imply that I spilled the beans on how to download a procurement document is, at best, disingenuous. In fact, I learned how to do it from you, here on this site. Thanks.

• Upvote 6

And you were even more clear about not providing real, identifying information in an August 2008 post, where you stated about the registration page: "But apparently you provided real identifying information. I didn't."

So, for you to imply that I spilled the beans on how to download a procurement document is, at best, disingenuous. In fact, I learned how to do it from you, here on this site. Thanks.

From what you posted, you didn't. But you did post enough that if anyone from CTA read your post, it won't be hard for them to figure out how to fill that hole. So, don't thank me.

• 1 month later...

CTA web has put up photos on Flickr of the soon to be completed Granville station. I have to admit the station looks not too bad for a light rehab. The bridge repair came out nicely as well. If they can get all the bridges like the Argyle one looking this good I'd say "it's a job well done". There are also photos of Morse's WIP. Looks like they'll have there hands full here erasing over 100 years of age and neglect. I like that there replacing the platform with precast concrete. That should be at all the stations. I wonder if they'll keep the same canopy design or go for a newer design like Granville's. It's pretty amazing they can do this work in six weeks, when it can take a year or two at some other station that's being totally rebuilt.

There are also photos of Morse's WIP.

The CTA Tattler has some before and afters; I'm sure that the emphasis there is that he lives nearby (or at least implied that he does). It also notes a separate site O'Neil and Barry are maintaining on the project.

The current version of Granville is only 30 years old, compared to most of the other stations (including Morse) that are 90, which makes it surprising that it was the first to get the work.

The CTA Tattler has some before and afters; I'm sure that the emphasis there is that he lives nearby (or at least implied that he does). It also notes a separate site O'Neil and Barry are maintaining on the project.

The current version of Granville is only 30 years old, compared to most of the other stations (including Morse) that are 90, which makes it surprising that it was the first to get the work.

Thanks for the link to CTA Station Watch. We're having a blast covering the station rehabs and yes, both Kevin and I live near the Morse station, which has made it easier to cover the first stage of work on the Red North Station Interim Improvements, as the CTA calls the project. I've been more than impressed with the quality of the work to date and the huge construction engineering achievements involved in rebuilding a railroad while it is running 24 hours a day. Kiewit Infrastructure, clearly, knows what it's doing.

As the restorer of an 1890s Rogers Park wood frame house, I'm not thrilled to see some of the old architectural details destroyed by the gut job at Morse. I'm hoping some of the other station rehabs might involve some preservation. On the other hand, I'm excited to see that the whole string of stations on the North Red Line are being brought up to "a state of good repair," or better. With 45,000 riders a day, that section of the Red Line is immensely important to the neighborhoods around it.

P.S. We're looking for others who can keep close tabs on the station rehabs as they go forward. Photos, news, tweets, we welcome them all at the site, http://ctastationwatch.com

No Meetings for the near future as stated by CTA RPM Staff

Thank you for your interest in the RPM and Red Line Extension Projects.

CTA is currently preparing Draft Environmental Impact Statements (EIS) for both projects. As part of the Draft EIS process, there will be community update meetings and project newsletters to inform the public about the project and provide the community opportunities to voice their opinions. No public meetings are currently scheduled for either the project.

Please visit our project webpages at www.transitchicago.com/Redeis and http://www.transitchicago.com/rpmproject/ to learn more about the projects and to follow the progress of the Draft Environmental Impact Statements. We will continue to update the webpage with new information as it becomes available along with announcements for future public meetings.

Thank you again for your interest.

Chicago Transit Authority

Red and Purple Modernization (RPM)

Improving your commute. Improving your community.

www.transitchicago.com/RPMproject

RPM@transitchicago.com

When Granville was completed I was surprised they didn't put up some of those new next train arrival signs like they have at Morgan/Green and Oakton-Skokie/yellow line. Then I found an article posted in March on the CTA tattler that says that they will be putting up those signs as a seperate project at the completion of the north side project or perhaps in the fall. Then I also was reading in a separate article in the Red eye (link is on Chicago-l.org's news section titled "CTA Boss: Communication Upgrades Coming") that CTA wants to put up the same audio speakers that they are using at Oakton Skokie at the rest of the 143 stations left. Apparently that's a prototype also. Hopefully that does include these signs as well. Seems weird they mention audio and not visual signs.

• 2 weeks later...

They recently put in the concrete footings at Morse. (on the platform) They are double the size in width as Granville. I wonder how they expect people to walk around that. (especially strollers) It looks like a stroller (especially the big ones)could take up the entire one side of the platform when crossing these. The canopy is going to be the same thing as what they had before. Looks like there going for the South Blvd. look. :lol: (lol) The stairs seem to be concrete now with a red brick anti skid surface. I don't remember if that has changed or not. Hopefully they can fix some of these uneven stair gaps. That's enough to throw you down the stairs!! Another thing I've noticed is there now starting sewer work at the Loyola Plaza, so looks like that project has started now.

They recently put in the concrete footings at Morse. (on the platform) ...

As I mentioned before, the CTA Tattler has full coverage of this, including several photo galleries, since the correspondents live nearby.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Took a look at Morse Red line over the weekend. I was surprised to see exposed glass (unprotected from vandals) until I touched it. It's plastic. Looks like glass. I wonder though can it still be scratched. Some of these vandals are pretty persistent. I fear soon it may look like a hazy mess. BTW, I notice someone's been etching the #5000's when there on the Pink line. (same tag name over and over) They etch each glass once on an entire car. I was looking at #5075, each glass seems to be etched once. It seems to be spreading across multiple cars. (Been going on for a while) I guess the onboard camera doesn't deter them. They need to start assigning cars to the Green line or there going to etch all the cars.

Took a look at Morse Red line over the weekend. I was surprised to see exposed glass (unprotected from vandals) until I touched it. It's plastic. Looks like glass. I wonder though can it still be scratched. Some of these vandals are pretty persistent. I fear soon it may look like a hazy mess. BTW, I notice someone's been etching the #5000's when there on the Pink line. (same tag name over and over) They etch each glass once on an entire car. I was looking at #5075, each glass seems to be etched once. It seems to be spreading across multiple cars. (Been going on for a while) I guess the onboard camera doesn't deter them. They need to start assigning cars to the Green line or there going to etch all the cars.

I thought that at least the cars were supposed to have the "graffiti preventive film."

However, I don't think your last sentence is going to prevent them from being etched.

I thought that at least the cars were supposed to have the "graffiti preventive film."

However, I don't think your last sentence is going to prevent them from being etched.

Right. They're just as likely to get etched on the Green given the Green runs through both the West and South sides. On a side note, those 3200s serving the Orange are also facing a bad tagging problem. I've been noticing that these past few weekends with the Orange and Brown Lines operating as one line with the Loop Elevated construction project still ongoing.

I always thought one way to stop the graffiti, use the cameras being installed on the trains and in the stations, capture the actual graffiti taking place. Get the photo of the guy doing it, then put up posters at the stations on the line where it occurred offering a $500 reward for anyone that can provide info leading to the arrest of that individual.

• Upvote 4

I always thought one way to stop the graffiti, use the cameras being installed on the trains and in the stations, capture the actual graffiti taking place. Get the photo of the guy doing it, then put up posters at the stations on the line where it occurred offering a $500 reward for anyone that can provide info leading to the arrest of that individual.

That makes sense. Granted they installed the cameras reportedly to help prosecute robberies and violent crimes. Why not expand out to also include the crime of mucking up the trains with graffiti. It's already sad that when I was leaving a Red Line train at the refurbished Morse station I overheard a woman telling her male friend that she wondered how soon it would be before some idiot(s) started tagging up the station.

According to the CTA Tattler, CTA has announced plans to rebuild the Bryn Mawr and Sheridan stops starting in 2014 to make them handicapped accessible. So I guess CTA is not going to reconfigure the Sheridan Curve after all? Looks like the structure in the long run will either be replaced by a concrete structure or not at all. I'm assuming these stations will be accessible to the Purple line as well. I was thinking before, by CTA adding stations for the Purple line (they already are doing Wilson and Loyola) there actually going to increase ridership for that line, by having more Red line north main line customers ride farther north. They may have to look at 8 car trains for the Purple line, as it would seem 6 cars may get overcrowded. On the other hand the Red line may lose ridership (some it would be more focused between transfer stations) I was thinking maybe it would be a good idea to run both the Purple (terminating at Roosevelt)and Red down the state street subway, (if that happened) it's no secret the Red line is faster than the Purple line south of Belmont. The Purple line could benefit from not stopping at local stops south of Belmont. (like Wellington or Armitage) It would be the fastest trip into the loop from the north main. Then they could run less Red line trains to better serve the Dan Ryan and not wear out the rail infrastructure too fast with excessive service. When there is no rush service the Red line goes back to normal service levels.

According to the CTA Tattler, CTA has announced plans to rebuild the Bryn Mawr and Sheridan stops starting in 2014 to make them handicapped accessible. ...I'm assuming these stations will be accessible to the Purple line as well.

I'm not. RPM indicates only Loyola and Wilson. However, Loyola won't be in the near term because the project spearheaded by Loyola U. is basically only on street level, and envisions only the existing one platform.

Also, essentially this isn't news, as the grant for Wilson was announced 10 months ago, and Kevin Z got the word on Bryn Mawr.

It is unlikely that Bryn Mawr would be a transfer station because extreme work would be needed to make it 2 platform, especially since it was said that the bridge over the Howard platforms was because they didn't want to dig into the embankment. Sheridan already has two platforms, but it is unclear whether it has the necessary clearances. In any event, architectural plans haven't been disclosed for any of this work.*

*Update: Based on history, I suspect that they will do Sheridan in a manner similar to how Addison was redone in the 1990s.

They may have to look at 8 car trains for the Purple line, as it would seem 6 cars may get overcrowded.

Then they'll have to redo most of the stations in Evanston, which only have 6 car platforms. Some of the ones north of Davis had the concrete removed from the supports.

On the other hand the Red line may lose ridership (some it would be more focused between transfer stations) I was thinking maybe it would be a good idea to run both the Purple (terminating at Roosevelt)and Red down the state street subway, (if that happened) it's no secret the Red line is faster than the Purple line south of Belmont.

The Tattler cited someone who proposed something similar, including, since the north is now twice as heavy as the south, turning back some Red Line trains, but dismissed him by saying that he didn't say what RPM alternative he preferred. To which I said there was no need to pick most of the RPM alternatives, because they are unfeasible.

Given that while the type of work at Morse might have a service life of 10 years, and hence not preclude the few remaining alternatives, an accessible station is supposed to have a service life of maybe 30 to 40. In that case, if they ever get the funding, redoing Berwyn, Sheridan, and Wilson now will certainly constrain their options.

• Upvote 4

• 2 weeks later...

How i see thing is that if they were going to modernize the red & purple line wouldn't they have started at Sheridan & Wilson in my opinion they are starting at station that aren't as bad just touch up & leaving behind Sheridan & Wilson.

CTA Tattler says that they will get to them eventually, Wilson soon. Also, as the first story, (and our Kevin) pointed out that Bryn Mawr will get a more extensive rehab.