Kevin

Red & Purple Modernization Project (RPM)

7 hours ago, CTA5750 said:

The ramp wont be completed until 2025!!!!  Wow I cant imagine the headaches riders and people from the neighborhood are going to be experiencing. Thats a long time!!! 

I suppose its better than shutting down the Red. Brown, and Purple Lines between Belmont and Wilson (Brown Line at Southpprt) for 5 months straight

7 hours ago, CTA5750 said:

The ramp wont be completed until 2025!!!!  Wow I cant imagine the headaches riders and people from the neighborhood are going to be experiencing. Thats a long time!!! 

The ramp itsself will be done by 2021. Its special trackwork and realignment that's taking till 2025

12 minutes ago, Sam92 said:

The ramp itsself will be done by 2021. Its special trackwork and realignment that's taking till 2025

Why is that going to take longer than the installation of the ramp? I understand a switch is being added, but it takes that long?

3 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Why is that going to take longer than the installation of the ramp? I understand a switch is being added, but it takes that long?

The flyover will be done 1st.  After that, CTA will align the tracks between Clark Junction and Addison.

1 hour ago, chicagocubs6323 said:

The flyover will be done 1st.  After that, CTA will align the tracks between Clark Junction and Addison.

I got that part. My question is why is the realignment going to take longer than the construction of the flyover?

15 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

I got that part. My question is why is the realignment going to take longer than the construction of the flyover?

They're not doing it all at the same time.  The whole project which also includes the modernization of stations between Lawrence and Bryn Mawr and more track work in that corridor will end in 2025.  Remember there's more than just realigning and building a flyover.

1 hour ago, chicagocubs6323 said:

They're not doing it all at the same time.  The whole project which also includes the modernization of stations between Lawrence and Bryn Mawr and more track work in that corridor will end in 2025.  Remember there's more than just realigning and building a flyover.

Yes, I understand not everything is happening at once, read what I wrote

1 hour ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

I didn't ask why the entire project wasn't going to be finished until 2025. By CTA's projections, construction should start on Lawr-BM & RP Bypass late this winter, and the track realignment after those are completed, I understand this. I am specifically asking about the track realignment only, and why it's going to take 4 years, since I can't find anything on the website as to why it would take 3-4 years if the bypass (which seems like the more demanding project) is only going to take 2.

4 minutes ago, chicagocubs6323 said:

I already answered your question.  It's not taking 4 years just to do that.  

What else is happening during this time period then? That reads like 3-4 years to me.

RPM_RPB.PNG

1 hour ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

What else is happening during this time period then? That reads like 3-4 years to me.

RPM_RPB.PNG

I literally answered it all for you already.  

4 hours ago, chicagocubs6323 said:

Why are you still arguing with me?

2 hours ago, chicagocubs6323 said:

I literally answered it all for you already.  

Why are you still arguing with me?

I asked why the realignment was going to take longer (3-4 yrs) as opposed to the flyover (1-2 yrs). You responded that it wasn't going to take 3-4 years. I provided you with proof that it was indeed going to take 3-4 yrs and you respond with "why are you still arguing with me?" I already knew the projects were happening consecutively and not concurrently, but repeating what @Sam92 said wasn't useful in the slightest. If you need me to be absolutely specific so that there's no way you can misinterpret what I wrote, then here:

• What are the various factors that contribute to the realignment of tracks having an expected time period of 3-4 years to complete? The new flyover is expected to be completed in 1-2 years, however, from my outside perspective, this seems like the more demanding project. Why would the flyover take less time to complete? (Note: I am aware the realignment is occurring after the flyover and station modernizations)
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

I asked why the realignment was going to take longer (3-4 yrs) as opposed to the flyover (1-2 yrs). You responded that it wasn't going to take 3-4 years. I provided you with proof that it was indeed going to take 3-4 yrs and you respond with "why are you still arguing with me?" I already knew the projects were happening consecutively and not concurrently, but repeating what @Sam92 said wasn't useful in the slightest. If you need me to be absolutely specific so that there's no way you can misinterpret what I wrote, then here:

• What are the various factors that contribute to the realignment of tracks having an expected time period of 3-4 years to complete? The new flyover is expected to be completed in 1-2 years, however, from my outside perspective, this seems like the more demanding project. Why would the flyover take less time to complete? (Note: I am aware the realignment is occurring after the flyover and station modernizations)

To realign the tracks, one track will be out of service at a time, similar to the construction of the Belmont Fullerton, and Wilson station. They have to remove the old track and build a new track, and repeat this for each track.  

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Because with as heavy volume as the Northside handles it can't do a major disruption or shutdown without affecting a HUGE amount of people nor is there space for fast shuttles in such an area

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Sam92 said:

Even so! Im sure there will still be massive headaches as congested as the area is already!  As ,many of us here already know, you shut down one or two through streets street in Wrigleyville  It causes major headaches for the surrounding area  And it will be even more of a mess during Cubs games  And there will no doubt be some slowdowns with all through that junction during the work process 

56 minutes ago, CTA5750 said:

Even so! Im sure there will still be massive headaches as congested as the area is already!  As ,many of us here already know, you shut down one or two through streets street in Wrigleyville  It causes major headaches for the surrounding area  And it will be even more of a mess during Cubs games  And there will no doubt be some slowdowns with all through that junction during the work process 

Yeah that's what I pointed out in my previous post. The volume passenger and trainwise is too vast for them to do anything to expedite this project outside of closing 1-2 tracks. Then add to that the work is most likely bringing the structure up to Addison to look more like what's at belmont 😬

Actually there should be four tracks available much of the time. Assuming the SB local can be straightend without impacting existing SB local. Then you cut over to new alignment, take out and replace the old, cut over SB express, repeat process. Assuming new does not foul old, as I said. If it does, then three in use at a time.

Yes, it does take a LOT more time to build anything today than 100 years ago, when the SS Main was triple-tracked in months while maintaining service to all stations. Just how it is.

2 hours ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

Got an update for RPM

looks like demolition of NB tracks begin Fall 2020

F7BB5058-B138-4F46-A6DE-87E993172BF6.png

Are we building a new steel structure or are we rebuilding a stronger concrete structure?

On 1/11/2020 at 11:03 AM, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

Got an update for RPM

looks like demolition of NB tracks begin Fall 2020

F7BB5058-B138-4F46-A6DE-87E993172BF6.png

Just checking on when work will resume with the Thorndale interlocking and the start of the Montrose interlocking? It seems they took a break for a few weeks now.