Pace Buses ride shoulder on I-55

teck22

Pace is starting to receive their new OTR buses for 855/755 service. Attached are two pictures taken today. They seem to be D4505 MCI models.

Mel

Thanks for the pictures. However, based on the June minutes, cited before, these probably are leased buses. The Procurement Page also has the purchase contract scheduled for bid opening on Feb. 25, 2013. I would also guess that based on the driver side headsign rather than the full width transit style one, that it is a former charter or highway bus. However, I don't know how far back the contoured headlights go (chronologically).

The wrap mandated by the Illinois State Police sure makes it look convincing, though.

Pace is starting to receive their new OTR buses for 855/755 service. Attached are two pictures taken today. They seem to be D4505 MCI models.

Mel

These are definitely MCI D4505s. I can't tell the year by the front, but it is at least a 2005 or newer. The taillights would give me a better idea what year it was.

The usual "ghost bus" suppositions can be made here, since 755/855 look light on Webwatch.

On the other hand, there seem to be more 8910 series buses on 877/888.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Story in the Tribune that Pace is adding trips on 755 and 855, cutting reverse trips on 755, and instituting 756 as a Metra Heritage Line supplement in the evening when the Metra line is not running.

Despite what the article says, 756 is not that novel, because there were 835, 960, and 961--similar but slightly different.

Maybe Pace has a use for the suburban Axess buses. :wub:

Story in the Tribune that Pace is adding trips on 755 and 855, cutting reverse trips on 755, and instituting 756 as a Metra Heritage Line supplement in the evening when the Metra line is not running.

Despite what the article says, 756 is not that novel, because there were 835, 960, and 961--similar but slightly different.

Maybe Pace has a use for the suburban Axess buses. :wub:

This might be a trend of the future. Pace is going to need some buses when they expand service on the NW tollway, and these buses seem to me to be a test with possible future orders of the same style of bus. Express bus service has it's advantages, especially if using the shoulder. It can actually be faster than rapid transit if there are not many stops. I'm kind of surprised Pace got rid of the #355 to downtown and made it a local service. These routes give the passenger a one seat ride to the outlying areas and with high gas prices and onboard wi-fi are an attractive source of revenue.

This might be a trend of the future. Pace is going to need some buses when they expand service on the NW tollway, and these buses seem to me to be a test with possible future orders of the same style of bus. Express bus service has it's advantages, especially if using the shoulder. It can actually be faster than rapid transit if there are not many stops. I'm kind of surprised Pace got rid of the #355 to downtown and made it a local service. These routes give the passenger a one seat ride to the outlying areas and with high gas prices and onboard wi-fi are an attractive source of revenue.

Back before South Cook was restructured, 355 was very costly since it was subject to delays on the Ford and Ryan, and those buses had to either deadhead back to the Loop or was in service back. I think the operating costs, AFAIK, were in the low million range, and it made sense to send it to Hegewisch (at the time, my vote was Kensington, but since that's no longer a South Shore stop, it's moot).

It'll be interesting to see how the Red Line substitution plays out with the rest of changes (looking at you, Metra).

As for 756, it's a long time coming (although if you're a Summit rider, you're defaulted to the Orange Line).

And if you've been on the Stevenson, say, in the past 2 months or so, the time restrictions are removed for bus shoulder use. That would invite the buses (and even the Sox/Bears shuttles) to use the shoulder should traffic get dicey.

Back before South Cook was restructured, 355 was very costly since it was subject to delays on the Ford and Ryan, and those buses had to either deadhead back to the Loop or was in service back. I think the operating costs, AFAIK, were in the low million range, and it made sense to send it to Hegewisch (at the time, my vote was Kensington, but since that's no longer a South Shore stop, it's moot).

It'll be interesting to see how the Red Line substitution plays out with the rest of changes (looking at you, Metra).

As for 756, it's a long time coming (although if you're a Summit rider, you're defaulted to the Orange Line).

The million or so is about right.

Justification for Kensington would have been to transfer to the ME, but those attending the public hearings said that the South Shore was sufficient.

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like Pace will post details about the service expansion on I-55 service on April 10, 2013;

I'm curious to see the map and sched. of the new #756 route, but nothing of it is mention on this Passenger Notice.

http://www.pacebus.com/sub/schedules/route_notice_detail.asp?Notice_ID=3570

Maybe they'll give some more details on that new route on Wednesday also when they give the details on how they want to expand 755 and 855.

756 might be just one later run since that last HC train out of Union is at 6-something.

I meant details as far as routing and how late after the last HC train beyond the generic later evening service when the HC isn't running. If they're going through all the trouble to speak of a need for later service to one of the two major area papers, it's hard to believe they'd make all the brouhaha for only one run.

It would be a lot easier if Metra did a evening run.

Metra keeps crabbing that the CN won't clear the tracks for them. CN has show a continual dislike for accommodating commuter trains, even when the feds rebuilt the North Central.

Update: See, for instance, this story.

Looks like the "Heritage Corridor" bus is just one variant run of 755, rather than a separate 756.

Also, since the first stop is Bolingbrook, bypasses Lipinski's territory (Willow Springs). I'll bet it is on I-355 at least part of the way.

The March Pace minutes have more discussion on the reasons for these changes. Apparently the meeting was where the 756 route number was first heard.

Also, there was a discussion on why reverse commute wouldn't work, the alternative for those on the reverse commute being van pool (no surprise there), and trying to serve Argonne.

Saw #6922 today on Michigan avenue. It had a newer looking front on it compared to the low #6900's. When did they get this?

I can see why they want to get rid of these buses. Because they are intended as OTR coaches, they have no destination sign other than a typical bus (like Rockford, Madison, Milwaukee). #6922's destination tonight said express. That tells me and the customers what exactly? If the bus service overlaps with the other express route there's no way to know what bus it is.

I can see why they want to get rid of these buses. Because they are intended as OTR coaches, they have no destination sign other than a typical bus (like Rockford, Madison, Milwaukee). #6922's destination tonight said express. That tells me and the customers what exactly? If the bus service overlaps with the other express route there's no way to know what bus it is.

Those buses should also have the Express route Placards over the front windows (or in some cases, the sides of the bus), but I digress...

Case in point: 6922 and 6923