Pace Buses ride shoulder on I-55

teck22

I can see why they want to get rid of these buses. Because they are intended as OTR coaches, they have no destination sign other than a typical bus (like Rockford, Madison, Milwaukee). #6922's destination tonight said express. That tells me and the customers what exactly? If the bus service overlaps with the other express route there's no way to know what bus it is.

That is more of a function of the specific buses leased. Motor coach buses can be ordered with electronic destination signs. Greyhound's coaches have them, but older and used coaches may still have Mylar signage. There are plenty of commuter runs across the country that use mitor coaches, some operated by transit agencies, some by private operators. Pace's decision to go with Eldorado may be a function of cost, although a RFP for OTRs seem to debunk that.

That is more of a function of the specific buses leased. Motor coach buses can be ordered with electronic destination signs. Greyhound's coaches have them, but older and used coaches may still have Mylar signage. There are plenty of commuter runs across the country that use mitor coaches, some operated by transit agencies, some by private operators. Pace's decision to go with Eldorado may be a function of cost, although a RFP for OTRs seem to debunk that.

At least the coaches used by Mid-America Coach on 855 had an electronic sign over the driver's half of the windshield, that had the message 855 I-55 Flyer scrolling horizontally.

6900-6907 are the "transit" configuration, and have the same kinds of signs as the other transits. A commuter coach is still marketed.

As art says, when Pace leases used, it gets what it gets. Also, the contract requisitions say, for example that the contractor shall provide destination signs for when the coaches are in Pace service, which may be electronic, roller, or professionally produced window signs meeting certain requirements (apparently Coach USA used the latter). From the way this thread is going, apparently Pace Heritage is not complying with Pace requirements.

At least the coaches used by Mid-America Coach on 855 had an electronic sign over the driver's half of the windshield, that had the message 855 I-55 Flyer scrolling horizontally.

6900-6907 are the "transit" configuration, and have the same kinds of signs as the other transits. A commuter coach is still marketed.

As art says, when Pace leases used, it gets what it gets. Also, the contract requisitions say, for example that the contractor shall provide destination signs for when the coaches are in Pace service, which may be electronic, roller, or professionally produced window signs meeting certain requirements (apparently Coach USA used the latter). From the way this thread is going, apparently Pace Heritage is not complying with Pace requirements.

With that bus having the traditional roller signs, that must age it to around 10 years old. They could've done like the #895 and put wraps on them stating what bus they were as those buses don't have destination signs either. I don't know if there's a specific stall or bay at Plainfield Park N' Ride that has a bus route attached to it or are they all stopping in the same spot like at a mall, but if their isn't that's really poor planning.

... I don't know if there's a specific stall or bay at Plainfield Park N' Ride that has a bus route attached to it or are they all stopping in the same spot like at a mall, but if their isn't that's really poor planning.

It seems like 755 gets the 6900-7 buses that do have a flip dot sign, so there might be a process of elimination there, i.e. 6920s are 855.

What could become the bigger mess is Pace saying that 4 more buses are going to be needed to cover the routes, and some 855s only go as far as Canterbury, while others serve Old Chicago, Romeoville, and Plainfield. If someone gets onto the wrong bus on Michigan Ave. in the evening, that could be real inconvenient.

They didn't say where they were getting the 4 buses, though.

Edit: Since the buses show up on Webwatch, I assume they have Miss Pace.

As far as 895 having wraps, those do have the destinations, but don't distinguish between via 355 or via Rosemont. I suppose that the riders have to look at the schedules.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

It doesn't appear they will use Park N Ride lots, at least not yet. So I wonder if this means #626 could run both ways. It could serve Northbrook Court on the reverse commute. At least it wouldn't run light one way. That's a waste of resources.

There is a park and ride lot at the Buffalo Grove terminal for the "commute" and Northbrook Court is on the "reverse commute." It does run both ways, serving the Lake Cook and Barclay Road business corridors (schedule). In fact, I am surprised that in the current schedule the reverse commutes vastly outnumber the commutes, as opposed to one being the return trip for the other.

The only thing subject to debate was the consultant's suggestion, not incorporated into the 2005 North Shore restructuring, whether there should be a guaranteed ride home at noon to boost ridership on the reverse commute, and the response that those riders could either take 272 or Milw N.

• 3 weeks later...

While I was going to comment on the skill of some forms of media to copy press releases, it seems like they have one more bus (14 instead of 13).

• 4 months later...

Hilkevitch's column indicates that IDOT is really pushing BOS on the Edens, mentioning route 626.

This should be interesting considering the Edens is kind of small with just 3 lanes in each direction I believe. They could expand on the buses serving the same industrial area as the #626 or the Northbrook Court shopping area, or even a link between the Yellow line and Highland Park. Seems kind of wasteful to do this for just one bus route. The commute is painfully slow at over an hour to the Yellow line.

This should be interesting considering the Edens is kind of small with just 3 lanes in each direction I believe. They could expand on the buses serving the same industrial area as the #626 or the Northbrook Court shopping area, or even a link between the Yellow line and Highland Park. Seems kind of wasteful to do this for just one bus route. The commute is painfully slow at over an hour to the Yellow line.

The only issue is how wide the left shoulder is (and the article mentioned checking the bridges).

Yellow Line to Highland Park wouldn't make much sense, as Highland Park is mostly served by the UP-N, and does not have the office complexes as on Skokie Blvd. in Northbrook, Lake Cook Road in Deerfield, and the Barclay Blvd. area in Buffalo Grove and Lincolnshire.

• Upvote 1

The only issue is how wide the left shoulder is (and the article mentioned checking the bridges).

Yellow Line to Highland Park wouldn't make much sense, as Highland Park is mostly served by the UP-N, and does not have the office complexes as on Skokie Blvd. in Northbrook, Lake Cook Road in Deerfield, and the Barclay Blvd. area in Buffalo Grove and Lincolnshire.

Lest we forget the #620.

You should ride the 626 when on Wagner, Happ, or Harms (when the Edens is abysmal). A lot of the peak-direction runs suffer OTP (on-time performance) issues out of the Swift (and the subsequent trip from BG would then be late).

• 2 months later...

Driving down I-55 this afternoon towards the city, #6377 was broken down on the side (around 1pm) and was in the process of being towed away. Wonder what happened?

Whatever it was, it's back on Webwatch:

post-14-0-24403000-1398378852_thumb.jpg

Also, it appears that the old OTRs on 755/855 (at the moment) are only 6900, 6906, and 6907.

• 7 months later...

August minutes indicate plans for extending shoulder riding from LSD to Kedzie, as well as putting it on the Edens (which 626 certainly could use).

Pioneer Press article on the study of BOS for 626, including that since there isn't much of a left shoulder, they'll have to use the right, not mentioning that that would result in a conflict with ramp traffic, which the I-55 project avoids.

There are some other transit proposals there, including an express bus from Chicago to Lake Cook to make up for that there isn't an early northbound train then. Strange, though, that it would start at Western (Milw N) station rather than Union Station.

Pioneer Press article on the study of BOS for 626, including that since there isn't much of a left shoulder, they'll have to use the right, not mentioning that that would result in a conflict with ramp traffic, which the I-55 project avoids.

There are some other transit proposals there, including an express bus from Chicago to Lake Cook to make up for that there isn't an early northbound train then. Strange, though, that it would start at Western (Milw N) station rather than Union Station.

As I have indicated before, the buses in Minneapolis all use the right shoulder. Conflicts with merging traffic are minimal. All buses using the shoulder must have their hazard lights flashing. They also have a maximum speed while on the shoulder. The entrance ramps to the expressway have the control systems in place to control traffic flow entering the expressway.

...The entrance ramps to the expressway have the control systems in place to control traffic flow entering the expressway.

On the last point, true, but they are for metering traffic onto the expressway when there is congestion.

For your theory to work, the buses would have to have TSP that turns the signal red when a bus approaches. Maybe that's part of the study.

Maybe one thing that mitigates the risk is that there aren't any complete cloverleafs north of Dempster.

Per the article:

"The bus will run from the Western Avenue Station, 420 N. Artesian Ave., to Union Station, then north, arriving at Lake-Cook before 7 a.m."

That practically means it's easier to go from Western to Union and then hit the Kennedy instead of the reverse.

Per the article:

"The bus will run from the Western Avenue Station, 420 N. Artesian Ave., to Union Station, then north, arriving at Lake-Cook before 7 a.m."

That practically means it's easier to go from Western to Union and then hit the Kennedy instead of the reverse.

I missed the "to Union Station," but why go to Western at all?

I missed the "to Union Station," but why go to Western at all?

Some riders (mainly the ones that live and board at Western) find it far more difficult to go to union and slingshot back north. Sometimes, it doesn't make much sense if you live in Bucktown, Wicker Park, West Loop, Humboldt, or West Town and go to Union, when the Western stop is much closer.