CTA President Richard Rodriguez

Like Jerry, I like the show -- a lot. I find it very interesting and I like seeing the behind-the-scenes (bus garages, Skokie Shops, towers, etc) footage. I like how you hear from a lot of employees.

Like Newport mentioned in his post, I find the current host to be the weak link in the show - though maybe not as strongly as he does. When the host does the over-voice (or whatever it is called when you hear him but not see him), he's not that bad. It's when he is on-camera that he seems to struggle with words and doesn't seem to even understand what he is saying.

Like CURRENTZ mentioned, I think the show has seemed better in the last year or so, but I think it has to do with better writing and new look -graphics, music. (It was really good for the first several years it was on, then it was hit-or-miss for a few years, now it has been really good for about a year.) If the host is writing it too, then I give him credit for the improvements. But I can't give him credit for his oncamera work.That's not an improvement.

I agree with everything mention above, i havent seen previous episodes of connections, i guess i am going with what i have seen recently (does anybody have any older episodes of connections, contact me if so by inboxing me). Like i mention before, Omar Barragan is fully bilingual and active within the chicago communty so give him a chance. I thought Jeanne Sparrow was good but she is just that, a radio announcer, not a host for a television. Some times sticking to what you know can be a blessing, not a curse. Also, the producers of connections should be able to provide audio versions of connections for the disabled, it would be nice to put on you mp3 player and listen to aware and happenings within the CTA while riding the CTA, reading a book or on down time to understand the changes happening within the CTA

• 3 weeks later...

Well coming back to the topic of CTA President, it was announced this morning that Richard Rodriguez is out and former county commissioner Forrest (hope I spelled that correctly) Claypool is in as CTA President when Rahm Emanuel takes the reins as Chicago mayor if Claypool is approved as his choice for that post. I'm sure his lack of transportation experience is not going to make anyone here happy who believes the post should be held by someone with transit experience.

Jajuan predicted what I was going to say.

Looking at the more detailed account in Clout Street, it appears that the only qualification was that Rahm and Forrest ran in the same clique of north side "Good Daley" associates, as opposed to some of the types that Kass describes as backing them.

What this has to do with capacity to manage the CTA is beyond me.

• Upvote 1

This is a joke! Once again, outsiders who have no transit experience being put at the helm of the CTA. But then again considering who we have coming in, Im not a bit surprised. This is the reason why transit in Chicago continues on a backwards trend and it will continue to go in this direction until they put someone at the top who is competent enough, who really has experience running public transit inside and out. Get ready for more fare increases and service cuts!

Jajuan predicted what I was going to say.

Looking at the more detailed account in Clout Street, it appears that the only qualification was that Rahm and Forrest ran in the same clique of north side "Good Daley" associates, as opposed to some of the types that Kass describes as backing them.

What this has to do with capacity to manage the CTA is beyond me.

We havent seen anything yet! One of the finalists to head the Chicago Police Dept. is a cousin to Michelle Obama and he never once wore a police uniform! The fire dept., god only knows if he decides to tap that area! This decision to put Claypool in charge of the CTA is disturbing!

The last I heard about potential heads of CPD was that a White House operative [a former police chief was in the running]. Getting back to CTA, is Emmanuel paying a political debt by picking Claypool? Rahm can pick an educator for CPS so why can't

he pick a transit professional for CTA?

Gene King

Getting back to CTA, is Emmanuel paying a political debt by picking Claypool? Rahm can pick an educator for CPS so why can't

From the Clout Street piece, it appears so.

Which sorts of brings up another point...How is this going to be formally accomplished? Unlike CPS, CTA isn't under the direct legal control of the mayor, although they have fooled the rest of us. Does Rodriguez all the sudden decide to resign, like Kruesi "did, " or does the Board have to fire Rodriguez, much to the chagrin of Tracy Swartz and the original poster here. You know it will happen, but the only question is how.

Huberman and Weis made it much easier by stepping aside in advance.

The last I heard about potential heads of CPD was that a White House operative [a former police chief was in the running]. Getting back to CTA, is Emmanuel paying a political debt by picking Claypool? Rahm can pick an educator for CPS so why can't

Gene King

Its painfully obvious that they give very little consideration to pick a leader from the rank and file to run the transit authority than they do when picking a police or fire commissioner. Its a shame! Im sure there are talented professionals at CTA who have the answers and the know how to make good decisions and run the system the way it should be run. CTA has not had a competent leader in decades. This decision to select Claypool will only continue to make life miserable for CTA employees and riders alike.

Its painfully obvious that they give very little consideration to pick a leader from the rank and file to run the transit authority than they do when picking a police or fire commissioner. Its a shame! Im sure there are talented professionals at CTA who have the answers and the know how to make good decisions and run the system the way it should be run. CTA has not had a competent leader in decades. This decision to select Claypool will only continue to make life miserable for CTA employees and riders alike.

I laughed when I heard Claypool was selected. It's obvious he was selected, because he's a buddy of Rahm's. Unfortunately for CTA and the riders we will probably suffer from that choice. Fares are probably going to rise when the two year moratorium on fare increases expires at the end of this year. I just don't see how they can cut more service when it is bare bones now. Instead of focusing so much on expanding "L" service on the Red line, they need to find a way to restore some of the cuts inflicted in Feb 2010. This way the whole city wins instead of just a part of it.

... I just don't see how they can cut more service when it is bare bones now. Instead of focusing so much on expanding "L" service on the Red line, they need to find a way to restore some of the cuts inflicted in Feb 2010. This way the whole city wins instead of just a part of it.

There are several underlying issues here.

With regard to cutting service, the only things publicly said were formula, in that (1) in 2005, go to a Sunday schedule, and (2) in 2010, just cut frequency 19% across the board. Nothing was said about using Clever Device data to find out where service was actually being used, such as what Pace claims to do with the IBS. Also, hasn't been about 13 years since Booz-Allen said to implement some sort of community transit model on the far SW and NW sides? Probably no one understood what that was then, but at least Pace gives some lip service to that now.

As far as the Red Line extension, I have been in favor of that as improving efficiency, in light of such things as the previous discussion here about how far south side bus routes could be made more efficient, if they all didn't have to feed the 95th terminal. On the other hand, given that the New Start program in the last transportation bill has not brought us anywhere close to constructing anything, and it was indicated: "Planners once envisioned the proposed Metra suburb-to-suburb STAR Line running down the median of I-90, but state and federal funding for the multibillion-dollar project has dried up," I don't see how the CTA's proposed New Starts, including the Red Line, are any different, unless Rahm can really exercise White House pull in that direction (but the House of Reps. probably will not appropriate the money).

I read something elsewhere and I agree - the real shame isn't that a non-transit person has been named to head the CTA. The real shame is that a non-transit-operations person has been named this year to run CTA's transit operations division. You know, the area that is responsible for scheduling, operating and maintaining all the buses and trains. Now headed by Rodriguez's crony from City Hall building department.

It's bad enough that a former city hall budget staffer is in charge of the CTA's physical plant - structure, track,switches, signals, etc. Incidentally, the non-derailment on Tuesday was most likely a result of switch malfunction or switch operator (towerman) error.

There are several underlying issues here.

With regard to cutting service, the only things publicly said were formula, in that (1) in 2005, go to a Sunday schedule, and (2) in 2010, just cut frequency 19% across the board. Nothing was said about using Clever Device data to find out where service was actually being used, such as what Pace claims to do with the IBS. Also, hasn't been about 13 years since Booz-Allen said to implement some sort of community transit model on the far SW and NW sides? Probably no one understood what that was then, but at least Pace gives some lip service to that now.

As far as the Red Line extension, I have been in favor of that as improving efficiency, in light of such things as the previous discussion here about how far south side bus routes could be made more efficient, if they all didn't have to feed the 95th terminal. On the other hand, given that the New Start program in the last transportation bill has not brought us anywhere close to constructing anything, and it was indicated: "Planners once envisioned the proposed Metra suburb-to-suburb STAR Line running down the median of I-90, but state and federal funding for the multibillion-dollar project has dried up," I don't see how the CTA's proposed New Starts, including the Red Line, are any different, unless Rahm can really exercise White House pull in that direction (but the House of Reps. probably will not appropriate the money).

It's funny how projects fade over time. A year or so ago, we were presented with three projects to be done by 2016. The Red, Yellow and Orange extensions. Now we'll be lucky if we see the Red line extension completed by the end of this decade. Like you say it is going to be hard to secure the money for these projects. They are definitely years away. Of course it makes the incoming Pres sound like he is doing something to mention these projects. The question is can he deliver on those promises? We'll have to wait. On the bus cutting issue, they flash fancy stories of BRt at us that has to be studied (millions of dollars) when we had the X49 doing the same job. It looks like an improvement but really I look at it like it just a restoration of service. The newest trend lately seems to be to cut down on the service in the rush at the ends of routes where it may be less used. That may be where they are headed if they do indeed suggest service cuts. Get more output for less manpower. That how employers think nowadays.

Apparently relevant to my last comment is that Channel 7 just reported that Emanuel and LaHood met about Chicago's transit needs, including the Red Line extension and "a fast way to get to O'Hare." LaHood said that "your priorities are my priorities," but Emanuel said, in effect, the needs are like this [visual] full wingspan wide, while the resources are [visual] hands about 6 inches apart.

I'll look for the link tomorrow.

Apparently relevant to my last comment is that Channel 7 just reported that Emanuel and LaHood met about Chicago's transit needs, including the Red Line extension and "a fast way to get to O'Hare." LaHood said that "your priorities are my priorities," but Emanuel said, in effect, the needs are like this [visual] full wingspan wide, while the resources are [visual] hands about 6 inches apart.

I'll look for the link tomorrow.

Even though Im not a fan of Rahm! I hope he can do something about Chicago's transit projects. Given that Daley did absolutely nothing to in his term to help mass transit. I hope with a new administration, our three transit systems will finally get the attention they so badly need. Daley neglected transit throughout his administration. He never cared about the CTA, the employees or its riders.

As for the link, I had to Google to find it, as the CTA part did not make the headline. Anyway, the text of the story is here. I must have tuned in just as Emanuel came on.

As far as Daley neglecting transit, the Pink and Brown Line projects did get funded. However, I agree that the priority was not the riders, and that continues, given the discussion on the CTA Tattler yesterday that 5 or 6 years after the Blue Line fire, communications are still bad.

The thing I should have mentioned from my viewing is the statement "'They need to tell us what their priorities are and if this is a priority for Mayor-elect Emanuel, it'll be a priority for DOT,' LaHood said." The real problem is that Daley and the CTA never had priorities. If, again, one goes back about 6 years, there were discussions about extension vs. "bringing the current system into a state of good repair," to which Carole Brown replied that we can do both, reliance on statements from the state that "we won't leave federal money on the table," the pap about "if we get the Olympics, the infrastructure money will follow," and, as I mentioned above throwing out 4 New Starts, having Skokie dissent to one, and, after 6 years, not getting to the environmental review step on any. $300 million of someone's money was blown on a Block 37 hole that now has no obvious benefit. Now you also have the b.s. of seeking from $2 to $8 billion of "yet unidentified funding" for something on the north side.

Exactly what is happening is that Chicago had been the consistent victim of the "overdesigners" described here, and what little that gets done turns out to be defective.

It sounds like LaHood is now giving the message that the federal money isn't there for much, so get your priorities in order. Also, since the state capital bill is tied up in litigation, and the state is otherwise broke, Emanuel must have got the message that the state match isn't there either.

There have been rail transit projects completed under the Daley administration, but the infrastructure was so bad on the CTA as well as in other structures most of the cash went to that. We now have a newer Green, Pink and Brown line. Track structure improvements to the Blue line, newer stations on the Red line with about 50 percent accessibility and a new Orange line. Just now we are getting to the new start construction (red line/130th extension) but we are still marred with infrastructure problems at the north end. So basically we have rebuilt the system instead of building new. When all the infrastructure gets built up perhaps we can get some more new start construction going. When the time comes to rebuild the stations on the blue, (to gain handicapped accessibility) we may then finally see some construction begin again at Block 37. But that is at least 5-10 years away. Maybe then it won't seem as if we're overdesigning, but moving forward.

My impression was that while the Orange was completed during the Daley Administration, the real reason was that Jane Byrne turned in the Crosstown Expressway money to get the money for the Blue Line extension from Jefferson Park and the Orange Line.

Obviously, the Green, Pink, and Brown were rebuilding to some extent.

At the moment, since they have it up in the air (a) what kind of airport express they want and (2) whether there is any private source of funding for it, I don't see any movement on the Block 37 issue. It doesn't seem like it was conceived just to be a short turn on the Blue Line-O'Hare branch.

At the moment, since they have it up in the air (a) what kind of airport express they want and (2) whether there is any private source of funding for it, I don't see any movement on the Block 37 issue. It doesn't seem like it was conceived just to be a short turn on the Blue Line-O'Hare branch.

Unfortunately I don't see any way there can be an express to O'hare on any Metra or CTA line without spending big amounts of cash. I know they most likely would want something to open when the airport expansion is complete, but they just might have to shelve the whole project. One thing that sticks in the throat about this project is that it benefits tourists and not the everyday Chicagoian. I personally would think it would be more better to have a limited stop service. Like if it is was on the blue line have stops at Jeff Pk and Logan Square, so it would benefit Chicagoians too. That would address the overcrowding issue as well as the express issue on the blue. Also maybe drop the fancy trains and enormous surcharge and baggage check in. Then they might have something interesting.

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

Well, looks the end is near and farewell to CTA President Richard Rodriguez and the Daley adminstration. Mr. Rodriguez will become a legacy in the Daley team as being the last CTA President to run the company, so be proud of this accomplishment. During his tenue he has made the CTA more customer friendly and in the process reduced service levels with a tight budget that kept service in the Chicago region. He has been one of the few transit leaders that i know of that has actually showed his face around the community and i respect that. This is the first CTA president that i have know to actually see his face in a while now. He brought the CTA to the forseeable future with the introduction of the 5000-series rail cars, the completion of the Brown Line Rehab project and the start of expanding the CTA to 130 st via Red Line, Extend the Yellow Line near the Skokie Court House and Orange Line service to Ford City plus introducing the next big CTA project reconstruction of the CTA North Branch via Red/Purple Line service. I would like people to take their time and read the enclosed letter by CTA President Richard Rodriguez and from me to you Mr. Rodriguez (if your reading this) i wish you nothing but best in your future endavours......Farewell

Now lets welcome the new CTA President Forrest Claypool as he is pressured to improve CTA service, lets see what you GOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

President_s_Remarks_-_May_2011.pdf

post-670-13053996130344_thumb.jpg

Of course, with regard to "run it like a business," both the Kruesi and Huberman regimes should be taken to task for each blowing $51 million in their own ways, but it seems like many on Internet boards say "that's in the past" and just give the CTA more funding. I don't agree.

As far as being a political schmoozer, what you say is undoubtedly true, but that should be the Board's responsibility, and Frank was certainly no good at that.

All I'm saying is I'm no real fan of Rodriguez.

It's not like he's "the second coming", and his appointment to the CTA didn't do the authority a lot of favors.

Before CTA has "presidents" There was the position of General Operations Manager, and the last good one was GK. At least he came up through the ranks and spent time in the field. Ever since his retirement, the CTA has been a huge ship sinking, and sadly, most of you won't see that because you weren't around when things were good. Really good. All Rodriguez did (IMHO) was to rearrange the deck chairs on the Titanic. Same as all of his predecessors.

The real problem is that the original poster is not old enough to remember when CTA was run by real transit professionals, like Krambles, or even CTA Board Members who took their responsibility seriously, like Dement and Pikarsky.

THANK YOU!

CTA if u every need a 24 yr old "kid" to work in operations marketing or anything besides cleaning im ya man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Not to start a 'flame war', but here is a problem.

The vast number of people that think they have all of the CTA's solutions, but haven't come up through the ranks and really don't know the 'problem'.

For the record, my very first job at CTA was as a bus servicer. It was nasty work, and at the end of the work week, I smelled of diesel, propane, motor oil, and torque fluid. It made me appreciate that buses suddenly don't appear from the sky squeaky clean with a full tank of fuel. Somebody has to make that happen. Those somebodys are rarely acknowledged. When I left CTA, I was a controller. I never forgot where I came from. Never.

THANK YOU!

You're welcome. At least your post indicates you know about what you write.

Maybe I should write something about the fine job whoever runs MCTS does, except I'll admit that I don't know who it is or what kind of job they are doing. Now, if the author who started this thread would admit the same about the CTA....

I may also add that Rich, instead of reporting on his last month's activities, made his last President's Report into his own exit review. The CTA Tattler had given him a lower grade a couple of days earlier, and, as comments to the post on what Rodriguez said point out, he misstated his record, or at least overstated his role therein.

BTW, they said on the radio that Emanuel got Rodriguez another city job, but I don't see Internet confirmation of that yet.

first and foremost i like to thank everybody that has replied to the post and keeping things at a respectable level. i learned a lot from this post and i thank you all for the knowledge. some have said i dont know what im talking about,well im here to say we all disagree to agree and i do read the blogs and news pages so i fact check before i do post anything and i try to post additional information to further tell the story. after hearing all this negative stuff i hear about the CTA i understand some complaints but others i just dont get as i have rode the CTA when visiting chicago. to the CTA if you are reading hit me up i would like a career in transit, why not start here and please note i am not a press agent for CTA (HINT CTA HINT!!!!). i will begin a post about MCTS as of monday may 16 so make sure you stay tuned. any questions and concerns in box me. with that i hope you enjoyed the post, thanxz!!!!!!