What's Left of the 2400 Nabis

rotjohns

Might as well start this topic as it's gonna be time soon to say goodbye to these buses. Here's the list of what I've seen on Webwatch so far today as far as buses that are still out there.

South: 2405, 2409, 2414, 2415, 2416, 2420, 2422. (also saw 2421 yesterday).

North: 2443, 2447, 2436, 2432, 2448, 2429, 2425, 2433, 2435. (also saw 2401 yesterday on 565).

No doubt more will show up during rush hour weekdays, but let the countdown begin as far as what's already retired, any "ghost" buses, and what is still out there.

North NABI 35-LFW 2430 was in a serious wreck a while back Whole front end was smashed pretty good.

Found pics of it before and after rebuild here:

http://www.americantransitworks.com/client.html

Funny how they forgot the unit number next to the front door!

If they rebuilt it, then that is a sign it will be in service for a while.

If I remember correctly, they have to keep these units for minimum 13 years. Most of the 2400s are from 1999, though a couple, such as 2423, show 1998 on the card behind the driver, above the do not talk to driver sign.

I guess whomever is not getting his bike back.

FTA life is 12 years.

2423 was effectively the demonstrator, and in promotional pictures then on the NABI site had Pace centered on the front, instead of toward the left as you face it as all eventually got.

I remember that picture!

One of the drivers pointed out to me on 2423 that a few of the controls to the driver's left, are also laid out slightly different on that unit, which did lead me to think it was a prototype or demonstrator of some kind.

I want to say that there are also a couple other 35 foot 2400s that are from 1998 as well, but I will have to pay more attention to them when on board.

Pace has made it quite clear that the only retired ones are 2402, 2407, 2453, and 6173.

They aren't retired until they show up on the for sale list.

So, WebWatch isn't going to prove more.

6173? What happened to that bus, is that one 2002 model?

There is Orion VI # 6047 that was burned in a fire some time ago in the south lot near the gate,that and a paratransit bus are the only burned out buses on property currently.

I think someone has South and South Holland confused.

• 8 months later...

2423, the North Division 20th Anniversary Bus, has finally shed its wrap entirely, and is back in usual white/yellow livery.

For a while, it had much of the wrap missing, and looked like total crap, with patches of it there, and other parts missing.

It was kind of funny, to see a bus proclaiming 20 years of service, after Pace passed 25 years! That wrap was applied about the time I moved to Waukegan, in early 2004, and finally now has lost it.

It was kind of funny, to see a bus proclaiming 20 years of service, after Pace passed 25 years! That wrap was applied about the time I moved to Waukegan, in early 2004, and finally now has lost it.

Pretty much most divisions that had NABIs had the wrap, but most of the buses were shifted, i.e. 6218 was West's, but apparently went to South, and South's was 6660, and I believe that the other outlying cities had one, but their NABIs were moved. Any recent sitings of once it had a wrap, but now doesn't?

BTW, has the Provena wrap on 6661 been removed?

• 2 months later...

Apparently Pace is not waiting for "the new buses at South expected in November" to retire many of the 2400s at South.

On the Pace contract opportunities pages, the annual spring cleaning includes requests for bids on 2403, 2404, 2408, 2412, 2414, 2418, 2419, 2451.

As mentioned last year this time, 2402, 2407, 2453 are also gone.

So, that would be 11 out of 22 assigned to South.

On the other hand, this requisition also includes really old Chance 1903.

BTW, there is also a requisition for "Fixed Route Transit Buses Inspection, Quality Assurance, Post Delivery Buy America Audit, and Certification Services." Apparently we have some qualified vendors here.:lol:

Indeed all of those 2400s are South Division buses. North has 2401, 2421, and from there, 2423 to 2450, though missing some of the numbers therein.

2442 is in a hospital wrap, blue and white, though I forget which hospital exactly. That bus is a POS and I hope is either fixed OR sent to South Holland soon.

Was aboard it the other day when it was raining. Water was leaking on the driver, the rear door refused to work, BTPU didn't work at all, IBS was sporadic but usually was saying 'Off Course', which was incorrect, and the front door sometimes needed a nudge to close.

To its defense, the A/C worked!

Anyone remember the Fonz in Happy Days, how he could hit the jukebox and it would play? Well, when the front doors need that nudge to close, I usually hit them on the edge, just like the fonz, complete with the thumb up and "Heeey!"

That would explain why there are so many 6600s at South right now and at a moment of opportunity, more will head there. Had to be a matter of time. I think because North isn't as harsh on their buses as South is (maybe except the school trippers), they might be around a bit longer up there. But all those 6600s at South now will most likely head to North once the new buses come in.

That would explain why there are so many 6600s at South right now and at a moment of opportunity, more will head there. Had to be a matter of time. I think because North isn't as harsh on their buses as South is (maybe except the school trippers), they might be around a bit longer up there. But all those 6600s at South now will most likely head to North once the new buses come in.

It appears that West possibly lost some 6600s, though I am surprised some of its 40 ft NABIs didn't wind up out south. As long as South can cover its runs, I guess, but a 35ft bus is a bad idea on 349, 350, 352, 353, 357, 359, and 364.

When the new 40ft Eldorados do arrive and replace the 2400s, I would hope Pace considers holding off on retiring the 6000 Orion VI series. Though they will be 12 years old next year, they are in very good shape, and if you can get another year or two out of them, why not? Consider that, as Busjack mentioned, there are 33 Orion Is that are still running around up north that are not for sale that definitely need to be replaced. If nothing else, let Pace prove the reliability of the Eldos before retiring those Orion VIs.

SOT, November 2012 is a great time for south suburbia, as the new Elods are to be delivered to South, AND, I believe Metra Electric should also start seeing deliveries of its new Highliners.

It appears that West possibly lost some 6600s, though I am surprised some of its 40 ft NABIs didn't wind up out south. As long as South can cover its runs, I guess, but a 35ft bus is a bad idea on 349, 350, 352, 353, 357, 359, and 364.

We had noted at the time that a couple of 6200s (around 6218, 19 Add: 6232) went from West to South, and also two went from Academy to South (6250 and 6254).

At the time, we thought that the number of 6600s that went from Westmont or Academy to South were because some of the South routes (e.g. 354, 356, 372) didn't need big buses, but apparently it was that they were short. Of course they were more short having put some NABIs on 877-888, at least until the 6910s showed up.

As far as proving the reliability of the Eldos, they were testing 2010 at South, so I suppose that nothing immediately happened.

It appears the 2400s days are numbered at South. Looking at Webwatch during PM rush hour, only 2409, 2410, and 2422 are showing up. North is not fairing much better as I currently see 2424, 2426, 2428, 2432, 2434, 2437, 2438, 2440, 2441, 2442, 2445, and 2449. I missed the school trippers so maybe more were out then unless they are on spring break this week. I know the remaining missing buses Busjack didn't mention are not on the for sale list as of yet so we don't officially know if they are gone or not, but I have a feeling that more bus switching for the 6600s appear likely. I don't think the remaining 2400s are gonna make it to November.

For what it's worth, I was at the Washington/Sheridan pulse point at noon today. Eight buses in, ALL 2400s. Same situation at 3 PM too. Seeing that twice in one day is rare.

EDIT: Yes, this week is spring break. Also, the 3PM pull had seven buses, as the 565 is only downtown on the hour on even hours, e.g. 12 PM, 2 PM...

I will bet the farm the new Eldo's will be 100X better then those piece's of junk 2400's !!!! rolleyes.gif Also kinda wonder why PACE or CTA don't go for GILLIG ??,Since they are reliable AMERICAN/CALIFORNIAwink.gif MADE BUSES !!! cool.gif And I Get to pass the GILLIG factory once a week when driving around the SF bay area for my business tongue.gif

As I mentioned in the Minneapolis thread, based on the figures in the attachments, Gillig is more expensive than what Pace buys; also, there is no indication that Gillig tried to make a sales pitch to Pace like ElDorado and NABI did in the preceding year.

As far as CTA, the issue is that in about 2005 they would have had to have the capacity to bid on 1050 buses, and now, if CTA is buying anything, it is artics, which Gillig doesn't make. There is also the perception that Gillig isn't a manufacturer for big cities, although I don't know if there is anything behind that.

As I mentioned in the Minneapolis thread, based on the figures in the attachments, Gillig is more expensive than what Pace buys; also, there is no indication that Gillig tried to make a sales pitch to Pace like ElDorado and NABI did in the preceding year.

As far as CTA, the issue is that in about 2005 they would have had to have the capacity to bid on 1050 buses, and now, if CTA is buying anything, it is artics, which Gillig doesn't make. There is also the perception that Gillig isn't a manufacturer for big cities, although I don't know if there is anything behind that.

Don't know why that's the case as Indianapolis Indiana, which is a huge capital city, has all of their bus fleet as Gillig. In fact, pretty much all of Indiana's buses are all Gilligs. Now NY and LA, I could understand, but I'm still surprised somewhat that Gillig didn't at least get in the running. They really had some really cool looking buses when I saw them in Indy in October.

Far as 2400s go, I could honestly say that most of them at this point have got to be pieces of junk. I believe it was 2409 I saw one day at River Oaks and I had never seen a bus that bad looking. Some of the 8800-8900s looked better than that before they retired.