What's Left of the 2400 Nabis

rotjohns

Don't know why that's the case as Indianapolis Indiana, which is a huge capital city, has all of their bus fleet as Gillig. In fact, pretty much all of Indiana's buses are all Gilligs. Now NY and LA, I could understand, but I'm still surprised somewhat that Gillig didn't at least get in the running. They really had some really cool looking buses when I saw them in Indy in October.

Far as 2400s go, I could honestly say that most of them at this point have got to be pieces of junk. I believe it was 2409 I saw one day at River Oaks and I had never seen a bus that bad looking. Some of the 8800-8900s looked better than that before they retired.

I agree, I'll say that 2400s has been a piece of Junk pretty much since they were brand new, I remember I saw couple of them breaking down on Dan Ryan highway back in 2000-01, while they were working Old Route 355 (To the Loop).

Don't know why that's the case as Indianapolis Indiana, which is a huge capital city, has all of their bus fleet as Gillig. In fact, pretty much all of ..

I suspected that "huge" wasn't the case, and IndyGo's fleet document says they have "more than 145 buses total, with 120 used at peak pullout."

You can compare that with, say Rochester, NY, which has about 245 buses, many of which are also Gilligs, and about 670 Pace buses.

Maybe Twin Cities Metro is the large system user.

Pace DID have Gilligs at one point. North Division got a bunch of Gillig Phantoms in the '80s. I want to say 1986. I grew up as a kid in Iowa, so never seen one in service for Pace myself, having moved with my folks to Lake Bluff in 1997.

From what I have been told, they were absolute JUNK. The wheelchair lifts would randomly deploy for no reason, that was the big concern. Of course they felt like rattletraps according to those who remember driving them.

Now, I used to live in Concord, California. Not too far from Hayward, where Gillig's factory is. I lived there in 2003 and part of 2004. They had a bunch of Gillig Phantoms there, and some Gillig lowfloors too. Theirs were very good buses. Near as I can figure, the difference may have been operating conditions. Bay area is so much more climate friendly than Illinois. Not to mention better road conditions overall!

Of course, too Pace had older Gilligs than the ones I rode on CCCTA (Contra Costa County Transit Authority, AKA County Connection).

Pace DID have Gilligs at one point. North Division got a bunch of Gillig Phantoms in the '80s. I want to say 1986. I grew up as a kid in Iowa, so never seen one in service for Pace myself, having moved with my folks to Lake Bluff in 1997.

From what I have been told, they were absolute JUNK. The wheelchair lifts would randomly deploy for no reason, that was the big concern. Of course they felt like rattletraps according to those who remember driving them.

1986 seems correct. There were 20, and, surprisingly, were the only lift equipped buses on Pace before ADA mandated it on the 2000 series.

Seems like North gets the strange allocations; i.e. the Gilligs were swept out by the allocation of the 2423 series NABIs. That meant that the Gilligs were around North until 1999 and some were on Ravinia service for a short while (I seem to remember contemporaneously while still at North).

Here in the bay area since they are made locally ALLOT of TA's have Gilligs in their fleet.And I just found out that AC transit ordered 65 Gillig LF's to replace their old NABI's,That surprisingly made it this long without falling apart laugh.gif .And Gilligs are the WORKHORSE for SamTrans and all drivers have nothing but good things to say about them.Also I was in Seattle last month on business and I saw Gilligs EVERYWHERE ohmy.gif They even have Phantom ETB's !!!blink.gif The 90's/00's phantoms are good buses I DARE compare to ORION 1's tongue.gif

But as one mentioned SF bay area climate and roads are oranges and apples compared to Chicagoland cool.gif

But from riding the Eldos on the Niles free bus a few times,I think they are GREAT buses as well !!! cool.gif

Here in the bay area since they are made locally ALLOT of TA's have Gilligs in their fleet.And I just found out that AC transit ordered 65 Gillig LF's to replace their old NABI's,That surprisingly made it this long without falling apart laugh.gif .And Gilligs are the WORKHORSE for SamTrans and all drivers have nothing but good things to say about them.Also I was in Seattle last month on business and I saw Gilligs EVERYWHERE ohmy.gif They even have Phantom ETB's !!!blink.gif The 90's/00's phantoms are good buses I DARE compare to ORION 1's tongue.gif

But as one mentioned SF bay area climate and roads are oranges and apples compared to Chicagoland cool.gif

But from riding the Eldos on the Niles free bus a few times,I think they are GREAT buses as well !!! cool.gif

I wonder if San Francisco MUNI still has some of Ex-AC Transit 1993 Gillig Phantoms, I think they do.

I wonder if San Francisco MUNI still has some of Ex-AC Transit 1993 Gillig Phantoms, I think they do.

Yes,I saw some yesterday during PM rush in downtown San Francisco.But they are VERY hard to catch and mostly used as new driver training bus's or for "Shuttle" runs.But personally,I havent riden on one in a LONG time lol biggrin.gif I might be wrong,But I thought I read these were EX-Sam Trans NOT AC Transit ??huh.gif

The RARE birds for MUNI are the '91 Flyer D60's that go out on RUSH hour express runs sometimes.REALLY feels good to hear a 6V92TA moving you around lol cool.gif

I might be wrong,But I thought I read these were EX-Sam Trans NOT AC Transit ??huh.gif

The impression we got here was that the AC Transit ones went to The Free Enterprise System to run the Northwestern University shuttle. However, I suppose that doesn't mean all of them.

In any event, it was reported that the FES ones have been replaced.

The impression we got here was that the AC Transit ones went to The Free Enterprise System to run the Northwestern University shuttle. However, I suppose that doesn't mean all of them.

Not all of them. Some are still running in Chicago from the stations to Northwestern Hospital.

I was refering to the 1993 Gillig Phantoms.NOT the EX-AC Transit NABI's 416 that Free enterprise operate (Man those are ugly "70's color" buses blink.gifrolleyes.gif ) And AC Trans still runs a few of those NABI 416's cool.gif Muni has a TON of them lol !!!

• 1 month later...

Went to Pace North to apply for a PT bus operator position. I saw that they still have 2400s in service nd Orion Is! Not to mention 6600 NABIs.

Didn't you apply at North Shore a few years ago? If that was you, then the General Manager at North should look awfully familiar!

I've known him for many years, as he is also a Scoutmaster for a Boy Scout troop, and my dad is Boy Scout program director in this council. I see Mr. Fardoux every summer at camp. Even though recently we've had our "differences", we tend to put them aside at camp.

I hope you get the job - I saw the Safety Manager out on the road with a trainee a couple days ago, and they're still hiring.

Are you not still working for National?

No, I had to let go my position because Im currently off work "laid up" from the fire dept. National would not hold my spot after several weeks. So I made the decision to resign. Honestly, I really didnt enjoy it so Im not feeling bad about it. I know I was driving buses and I love it, but it just dosent have the same feel as working for CTA or Pace. Neither was driving for "Fresh Moves" I really wasant happy with both jobs so I gave them both up. I like transit, thats my passion! :)

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...

To answer the question in the title of "What's left of the 2400 NABIs", apart from a few units supposed to be in the North garage back lot, I do have the embossed metal unit number plates (The ones with the unit number in raised letters, and braille underneath), off of 2431 and 2433, a small plate reminding of the parking brake (I believe this is from a NABI, but could be an Orion too), and I do have a manual that outline basics of the NABIs. Unfortunately, when I moved in 2010, this got wet somehow and has ended up with slight mold damage to the cover. I also have a plate from the back doors warning passengers about holding onto the handrails mounted to the doors themselves.

No matter the fate of the 2400s, small pieces of them will live on at least!

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't know whether it's too early to post "What's Left for 2003 NABIs" Thread. But I drove by South Holland Division. I've seen few 35 ft. 1999 NABI along with one 2003 NABI #6171 (Covered up in front), I can't remember the situation on that bus, has it been in Accident/ or plus Retired, Anyone knows what happened to that unit? Or has any 2003 NABIs retired yet?

I don't know whether it's too early to post "What's Left for 2003 NABIs" Thread. But I drove by South Holland Division. I've seen few 35 ft. 1999 NABI along with one 2003 NABI #6171 (Covered up in front), I can't remember the situation on that bus, has it been in Accident/ or plus Retired, Anyone knows what happened to that unit? Or has any 2003 NABIs retired yet?

Only one officially scrapped is 6173. Covered up in front would indicate bad news, though.

Hmmm, 2421 was torched with an engine fire. 2401 had serious engine trouble though. Friend of mine was retiring, wanted to drive it on his last day and it malfunctioned. Sounded like the engine died.

Whoever ends up with it will find the passenger side windshield is a new-ish piece.

The last bunch of buses went to a demolition company in Elgin. I don't think whoever ends up with those two cares about anything other than the recyclable content.

The windshield part is part of a long-running series of jokes around North Division. Stoplight at Grand/Dilleys goes green straight to red, I'm standing along the passenger side wheelwell, holding on to handrails. Driver hits the brakes hard (But not quite hard enough to trip the DriveCam), I lose grip and go right into the windshield. Windshield is shattered, no damage to me, not even a bump on my head.

Driver isn't even put out of service, later find out that when managment reviewed the DriveCam (Where the last thing said is when I look up and say "Oh s--t the DriveCam tripped"), it was decided that because of past legal action I've taken against Pace and assisted others in doing so, that they would not chance the legal reprocussions of disciplining the driver.

The same driver wanted to drive 2401 on his last day (He was driving when I went through 2401's windshield), but the engine completely died. Too bad...

• 4 weeks later...

How old are the oldest 40' PACE buses ?

Since the Orions Is and 2401-2453 series NABIs are not in regular service, it would be the Orion VIs, which first started arriving in 2000. Since Pace doesn't clear out everything, there are still a few 2423 series 35 foot NABIs around for Ravinia service and the like, but now probably hanging out at the South Holland facility.