Favorite Collectible

Wolfman

Don't want to hog this topic, but I've got to show just one more collectible. The years haven't been kind to my CTA emblem (thanks mostly to my careless storage), but it's still around. I've always wanted to stick it on something, but never could figure out what, so it remains (except for this photo) in a box in my basement, curled edges and all.

bgwysk.jpg

Now it's someone else's turn...

Where'd you get that CTA Emblem from?

The CTA logo sticky was a flea market find, if I remember correctly. It came with a few other stickers, like "Exact fare required." Still has the paper backing, so never used. Wrinkles, tears, and other signs of abuse are from my poor storage.

Is that the same "Exact Fare Required" sticker from 1970? Also, do you have the "Driver Has No Change" sticker from 1970?

Don't want to hog this topic, but I've got to show just one more collectible. The years haven't been kind to my CTA emblem (thanks mostly to my careless storage), but it's still around. I've always wanted to stick it on something, but never could figure out what, so it remains (except for this photo) in a box in my basement, curled edges and all.

bgwysk.jpg

Now it's someone else's turn...

How much did that emblem cost?

Is that the same "Exact Fare Required" sticker from 1970? Also, do you have the "Driver Has No Change" sticker from 1970?

Both were on the same sticker, half white background half black (or was it red?).

Also said "Tarifa Exacta" "El chofer no tiene cambio." Not sure of the first, definite about the second.

"Back in the day," you could send to the CTA for a complete set... and actually get one. Here's mine... still around more to neglect on my part than to intentional saving. But it's here, which is what counts!

2n65xl.jpg

Man, will you look at those old transfers? I'll bet you can also find these on EBay!

If anyone is interested, there is an old LAWNDALE sign on eBay for sale, complete with sign box.

The sign is from one of the old 600-series 5103s (ex-Motor Coach buses). These buses were retired back in 1973 when the 12-1300 series Fishbowls were new and assigned to Lawndale.

This is rare, as it was from the late 1950s when CTA did not put route numbers on the side signs, so all you have is a route name.

Anyway, here's the link

If anyone is interested, there is an old LAWNDALE sign on eBay for sale, complete with sign box.

The sign is from one of the old 600-series 5103s (ex-Motor Coach buses). These buses were retired back in 1973 when the 12-1300 series Fishbowls were new and assigned to Lawndale.

This is rare, as it was from the late 1950s when CTA did not put route numbers on the side signs, so all you have is a route name.

Anyway, here's the link

What was more unusual is that the Lawndale buses, being former CMC, had the split headsigns. However, the only ones I remember were on Cermak, and by then, the destination one was blank.

I was wondering about having California on this reading, but apparently at some time (according to Bill V.) it covered what now is 93.

What was more unusual is that the Lawndale buses, being former CMC, had the split headsigns. However, the only ones I remember were on Cermak, and by then, the destination one was blank.

I was wondering about having California on this reading, but apparently at some time (according to Bill V.) it covered what now is 93.

California is correct. The terminal at that time was the Howard Kedzie which is used presently by # 11. Routing was Foster-California- Howard. Terminals were split between Howard-Kedzie, Kedzie-Foster (turnaround in NP) and Kedzie-Peterson during Rush periods, Also at this time bus assignments were split between Lawndale and NP and to reflect passenger traffic at that time 56 operators were needed to fill the AM or PM rush.

• 3 weeks later...

Hate to see this thread suffer such an untimely demise. :( It's such a fun topic (IMHO)! :D

Doesn't anyone else have a CTA collectible/souvenir/piece of memorabilia to share?!? Photo? Toy? Sign? Student bus pass? Marker light? Anything???

Let me try to get things re-started. How about this? Anybody have one? (I do.)

2u6g42a.jpg

Now... next entry... ;)

Now... next entry... ;)

post-724-13078183999594_thumb.jpg post-724-13078184348692_thumb.jpg

A long, long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away...

Back when CTA screened and stocked their own roll signs. These were "remnants" from a series of pieces that were in stock at South Shops many, many years ago. It's a side sign (in case you couldn't guess) from the 69th Street Garage. I had them framed with a quality poster frame, and soon they will be hanging in my new space. I did a few extra, and sold them on eBay.

You can look all over eBay and see New York signs displayed this way. If you're sharp, you've seen some of these framed rollsigns (NYC) on movies and TV shows. I kinda like the way these came out...

The sign itself seems circa early 1980s with the addition of Navy Pier and The Monroe Parking. That would have been about the time of Chicagofest. CTA ran supplementary bus service up and down South Michigan Avenue (Congress Plaza) and to Union and Northwesten Stations then. I guess the planning department then figured ot would be a real good idea to add those generic route/destinations to the side rollsigns as well as the front headers. Prior to that, most shuttles ran with window cards and "CTA - Spirit of Chicago" on the signs.

Anyway, enjoy.

post-724-13078183999594_thumb.jpg

INSIDER INFORMATION: The signs.

A question will come up - "Why did CTA put Routes 29, 65, and 21 on many of the signs?"

29 State:

CTA Supervision would use foreign buses (remember, roll signs were not universal like the electronic signs, they were 'garage specific') on "special event shuttles" like Chicagofest.

The 29 State shuttle ferried passengers from Navy Pier to State/Congress only.

65 Grand:

Grand Avenue shuttles went from Navy Pier to Grand/Milwaukee Blue Line.

21 Cermak:

Cermak shuttles ran from McCormick Place west to the Cermak/Chinatown Red Line.

The terminology "foreign bus" refers to a bus assigned to a different garage then the service is normally assigned to.

Sometimes, garages will "lend" out buses temporarily to others that were short. These are called "day loans", and these are done with "foreign buses".

Back in the day (early 80s), 69th Street Garage had all five 800 series buses. Three were constantly loaned out to 52nd Street Garage that used them on the old 38 Indiana line. Oddly, this worked well as 69th Street rollsigns had the route 38 on them. Yet and still, they were still "day loans".

post-724-13078183999594_thumb.jpg post-724-13078184348692_thumb.jpg

A long, long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away...

Back when CTA screened and stocked their own roll signs. These were "remnants" from a series of pieces that were in stock at South Shops many, many years ago. It's a side sign (in case you couldn't guess) from the 69th Street Garage. I had them framed with a quality poster frame, and soon they will be hanging in my new space. I did a few extra, and sold them on eBay.

You can look all over eBay and see New York signs displayed this way. If you're sharp, you've seen some of these framed rollsigns (NYC) on movies and TV shows. I kinda like the way these came out...

The sign itself seems circa early 1980s with the addition of Navy Pier and The Monroe Parking. That would have been about the time of Chicagofest. CTA ran supplementary bus service up and down South Michigan Avenue (Congress Plaza) and to Union and Northwesten Stations then. I guess the planning department then figured ot would be a real good idea to add those generic route/destinations to the side rollsigns as well as the front headers. Prior to that, most shuttles ran with window cards and "CTA - Spirit of Chicago" on the signs.

Anyway, enjoy.

Where'd you get those signs from? Wonder if they sell them on Ebay?

INSIDER INFORMATION: The signs.

A question will come up - "Why did CTA put Routes 29, 65, and 21 on many of the signs?"

Back in the day (early 80s), 69th Street Garage had all five 800 series buses. Three were constantly loaned out to 52nd Street Garage that used them on the old 38 Indiana line. Oddly, this worked well as 69th Street rollsigns had the route 38 on them. Yet and still, they were still "day loans".

I was wondering about the signs, because the only "native" reading shown was 110 Marquette.

As I mentioned, I still have 69 sign, but of the 1973 variety. and while it did have 158 Wacker/NW Sta, 158A Wacker Express, the only "foreign" reading it has is of 38 Indiana. It does have "OUT OF SERVICE" on both ends of the roll, and a Soldier Field reading.

post-14-13078349672878_thumb.jpg

Love the idea of framing sections of a destination sign (side or front)! I have a few sign rolls, but have never quite known what to do with them. Years ago, I cut one up and used it as a window shade, but it soon fell apart and I was left with destination sign scraps, which I eventually threw away. Now my signs just sit, rolled up in the basement. Framing would be a great way to preserve AND display them. Thanks!

Where'd you get those signs from? Wonder if they sell them on Ebay?

I got mine at South Shops many years ago.

I worked at CTA for 20 years, and I had access to the shops and the upholstery shop in particular where the signs were stocked. Over the years, they got rid of stuff, and it was simply scrap material to them.

Watch eBay. Key in a search for 'rollsigns' or 'roll signs' and check your results.

That, or contact me offlist. I may have some remnants still in my garage out here.

I was wondering about the signs, because the only "native" reading shown was 110 Marquette.

As I mentioned, I still have 69 sign, but of the 1973 variety. and while it did have 158 Wacker/NW Sta, 158A Wacker Express, the only "foreign" reading it has is of 38 Indiana. It does have "OUT OF SERVICE" on both ends of the roll, and a Soldier Field reading.

I keep thinking someday I need to do a small bookzine on CTA graphics and destination signs in particular.

About your 69th Street side sign:

Your sign was original to the 75-7600s that 69th got in 1973/74. At that time (oddly) there was serious talk of closing 52nd Street, and when planning department made up the sign lists for the new buses, the route 38 was added. As far as 69th goes, 38 was a "never ran".

At the same time, when the 76-7700s were delivered to 77th, their signs had Routes 1, 2, 2A, 5, 5A, and 5B included. All 52nd Street ex-motorcoach routes. Again, these were "never rans" out of 77th while these signs were in use. They were only in the buses for a couple of years. In 1974, CTA got an UMTA Grant to swap out the signs for the Helvetica graphics (upper and lower case). Many routes were renumbered then as well, The 2A became the 2. The 5A became the 6. The 22A became the 24. The 36A became the 29, and so on.

CTA has always started sign lists with "CHARTERED". In the 1950s, there were a number of rallies and events at Soldier Field. In fact, a record breaking charter move was accomplished in 1952 (I think) where several hundred buses were used. CTA thought it would be smart to include a "SOLDIER FIELD' reading on most signs (mind you, this was pre-McCormick Place). The only signs that didn't get "SOLDIER FIELD" was the old Beverly Depot, but that was rectified when the Helvetica signs came out.

With the order of the 7400 series Fishbowls, the signs were more lengthy, and it seemed smart to put a "NOT IN SERVICE" reading at both ends of the list. The 7400s would be the last buses ordered with the "Transign Standard" block cap letters. Everything following that had new Helvetica type face. New York City changed their sign graphics over at about the same time. Los Angeles would follow.

Hope you find this informative!

I keep thinking someday I need to do a small bookzine on CTA graphics and destination signs in particular.

Your sign was original to the 75-7600s that 69th got in 1973/74. At that time (oddly) there was serious talk of closing 52nd Street, and when planning department made up the sign lists for the new buses, the route 38 was added. As far as 69th goes, 38 was a "never ran".

At the same time, when the 76-7700s were delivered to 77th, their signs had Routes 1, 2, 2A, 5, 5A, and 5B included. All 52nd Street ex-motorcoach routes. Again, these were "never rans" out of 77th while these signs were in use. They were only in the buses for a couple of years. In 1974, CTA got an UMTA Grant to swap out the signs for the Helvetica graphics (upper and lower case). Many routes were renumbered then as well, The 2A became the 2. The 5A became the 6. The 22A became the 24. The 36A became the 29, and so on.

CTA has always started sign lists with "CHARTERED". In the 1950s, there were a number of rallies and events at Soldier Field. In fact, a record breaking charter move was accomplished in 1952 (I think) where several hundred buses were used. CTA thought it would be smart to include a "SOLDIER FIELD' reading on most signs (mind you, this was pre-McCormick Place). The only signs that didn't get "SOLDIER FIELD" was the old Beverly Depot, but that was rectified when the Helvetica signs came out.

With the order of the 7400 series Fishbowls, the signs were more lengthy, and it seemed smart to put a "NOT IN SERVICE" reading at both ends of the list. The 7400s would be the last buses ordered with the "Transign Standard" block cap letters. Everything following that had new Helvetica type face. New York City changed their sign graphics over at about the same time. Los Angeles would follow.

I think they also used the Chartered buses of the 1950s for the Marian Year Observance at Soldier Field

Very informative thanks. I had some access to the sign ahop also in the 60`s as we silk-screened the the old passenger infomation signs there. I know this is not the forum for this but, do you have any old streeetcar roll signs? Not to include the Green Hornets. I think NP had the record of roll sign length during those years.

... I think NP had the record of roll sign length during those years.

If by "those years" you mean 1974, probably true. 5750 posted his sign a while back, and, in addition to the large number of routes from North Park, the signs included variations for the express routes: just the names of the route in the red box, but also an alternate reading with a number (such as 150 Sheridan-LaSalle Express), even though that was not the numbering system adopted with the Helvetica signs, and those readings were rarely displayed (although they sometimes were). You can also add to that sign overlaps with Limits, and the various Addison Limited readings, even though, by that time those routes were discontinued, and, soon, thereafter, Addison was reassigned to Forest Glen.

Of course, back then 77th had a lot of routes too, even more based on what Wolfman said.There was probably also some overlap when Lawndale closed and its routes went to Kedzie, but that would have been in the earlier versions of the signs (since that basically involved Lawndale's high 1200s with Kedzie's 1300s).

What also was freaky about that generation of signs is that while 153 was around, they really wouldn't deal with Wilson-Michigan. Most of the signs were 153 MICHIGAN, with CONGRESS on the right side (as you faced it) southbound, and WILSON (over) RAVENSWOOD northbound. One of 5750's pictures reflects that.