Favorite Collectible

Wolfman

I found a store in Edgebrook right off the Metra called Grayland Station which has lot of old maps, schedules and other items of interest. The CTA #84 & 85A as well as the Pace 225 and 226 both stop nearby.

5514 W Devon Ave

Chicago, IL 60646

(773) 594-1906

http://www.graylandstation.com/

Very informative thanks.

You're welcome.

I know this is not the forum for this but, do you have any old streeetcar roll signs?

Not to include the Green Hornets.

Nope. Sorry.

My stuff is old school, but not THAT old school!

I think NP had the record of roll sign length during those years.

As a matter of fact, yes! In fact, someone at Transign told me at about 174 readings, the 1973 CTA North Park headsigns were the longest splice-free signs that Transign ever screened. As Jerry and Busjack will attest, there were a LOT of redundant sign readings on that one.

... As Jerry and Busjack will attest, there were a LOT of redundant sign readings on that one.

Any reason why they adopted a redundant numbering system that they rarely displayed, and came up with something else about two years later?

I found a store in Edgebrook right off the Metra called Grayland Station which has lot of old maps, schedules and other items of interest. The CTA #84 & 85A as well as the Pace 225 and 226 both stop nearby.

5514 W Devon Ave

Chicago, IL 60646

(773) 594-1906

http://www.graylandstation.com/

The Metra/Milwaukee District Fox Lake train (Edgebrook stop) is steps from the store.

• 2 weeks later...

"...do you have any old streeetcar roll signs?

SURPRISE! SURPRISE!

I looked through my stash tonight, and found that I had CSL streetcar side signs from Old Kedzie, and Cottage Grove Depots!

These are WAY older than PCC signs. Both signs have long-gone through routes on them. While Kedzie DID have PCCs, their PCCs were exclusive to the 20 Madison. This sign doesn't even have Madison on it.

Freaky!

I also have a very rare trolley bus side sign that appears to be from the '30s. Thinking North Avenue. It's too large to be from the late 40s or 50s, and too small to be anything but a side route sign.

I also unearthed not one, but TWO side signs from Chicago and West Towns Railways motorbuses. They're from the late 40's/early 50s.

SURPRISE! SURPRISE!

I looked through my stash tonight, and found that I had CSL streetcar side signs from Old Kedzie, and Cottage Grove Depots!

These are WAY older than PCC signs. Both signs have long-gone through routes on them. While Kedzie DID have PCCs, their PCCs were exclusive to the 20 Madison. This sign doesn't even have Madison on it.

Freaky!

I also have a very rare trolley bus side sign that appears to be from the '30s. Thinking North Avenue. It's too large to be from the late 40s or 50s, and too small to be anything but a side route sign.

I also unearthed not one, but TWO side signs from Chicago and West Towns Railways motorbuses. They're from the late 40's/early 50s.

Great find Wolfman. If its not too inconvenient can you list the routes on the Kedzie rooler?

Any reason why they adopted a redundant numbering system that they rarely displayed, and came up with something else about two years later?

My best guess is that the planning department had been trying to officially number some of the old motor coach express routes along the North Lake Shore for some time. A careful study of the North Park 7400 signs would tell you that the destination listings were done by comittee, rather than one person, or a replication of any previous sign. The proof (as many rollsign graphics scholars here point out) is the perpetual redundancy in readings even though there are differnt formats.

Then came the replacement signs of 1975. Perhaps a new generation of planners? When the new signs were installed, gradually many route numbers were changed, and in the case of Lincoln Park, The Gold Coast, and The North Shore, new versions of old routes were established, and EVERYTHING got a route number (many expresses were simply bundled onto the existing main line - limiteds were done away with).

120s - Downtown

130s - La Salle

140s - North Michigan/North Lake Shore

That's just my best guess.

Then came the replacement signs of 1975. Perhaps a new generation of planners?...

I think it was also said that they got a grant to redo the signs. There were also advertising cards in the buses at the time saying that express routes were getting numbers for the first time, although from the occasional exposure of the 150 Sheridan LaSalle Express signs, not actually the first time.

The 120s were a substantive restructuring of the routes (according to Bill Vandervoort, in 1975), while the 130s and 140s were just putting on new numbers.

There was also a hint that something was going to change, in that the 1975 signs had a 146 Sheridan Express sign, but one could see in the side roller another 146 for Marine something, which apparently was stashed in anticipation of 146 Marine Michigan Express (according to Bill V., got the number in 1976, but didn't become Marine Michigan Express until 1980).

The idea that express buses get separate numbers took a hit for the time when 153 was abolished and there were the 145 and 146 locals. Now all are part of 151 or express full time.

• 4 weeks later...

Does this thread encompass all transit collectables?

I have quite a collection of transit stuff. All obtained legally, though it would not be to my advantage for transit police to come to my home and look around!:lol::blink:

The RTA bus stop sign is in mint, unused condition. Was a Christmas present from a Pace driver. Wait - does it count as "unused" if I put in my front room window, overlooking Lewis Avenue in Waukegan, and could actually flag down the 569 in front of it? Or that drivers would let me off in front of my home, citing to curious passengers, that there IS a sign there!:D

post-596-13118240495968_thumb.jpg

The 569 stop and Metra schedule - a driver gave the sign to me when he saw they were tossing it at the garage. At least that is what I was told! The big Metra UP-N schedule, was given to me by the station agent when I inqured about it. She just got done taking it down and replacing it. My dad and I were there to buy a couple hundred tickets for the Boy Scouts, and in light of our business, the agent gave the schedule sign to me.

post-596-13118240701859_thumb.jpg

The old transfers are from Waukegan-North Chicago Transit, and again, unused.

post-596-13118240766453_thumb.jpg

Operations notice was given to me by a Pace driver who didn't want it. Beyond ironic I have it though, considering that it mentions to not discuss internal business with passengers! :P

post-596-13118240835768_thumb.jpg

I got plenty more I can show off too! Things like a shiny blue Pace Million Miler jacket, old Waukegan-North Chicago Transit uniform, more old tranfers, Pace birthday cards, the North garage groundbreaking ceremoy phamplet, the list goes on!

• Upvote 1

From the legend on the transfer on the right that it is "Transit Management of Waukegan IL," it must be from the short period after the private bus company went out of business and was taken over by the RTA, but before Pace was organized. According to Bill V., that would have been sometime between 1982 to 1985.

CTA maps of that time reflected "Transit Management of Oak Park" and of Harvey. I don't think I still have them, though.

The other one probably predates that, but does reflect RTA route numbers instead of the W&NC system.

Does this thread encompass all transit collectables?

I have quite a collection of transit stuff. All obtained legally, though it would not be to my advantage for transit police to come to my home and look around!laugh.gifblink.gif

The RTA bus stop sign is in mint, unused condition. Was a Christmas present from a Pace driver. Wait - does it count as "unused" if I put in my front room window, overlooking Lewis Avenue in Waukegan, and could actually flag down the 569 in front of it? Or that drivers would let me off in front of my home, citing to curious passengers, that there IS a sign there!biggrin.gif

post-596-13118240495968_thumb.jpg

The 569 stop and Metra schedule - a driver gave the sign to me when he saw they were tossing it at the garage. At least that is what I was told! The big Metra UP-N schedule, was given to me by the station agent when I inqured about it. She just got done taking it down and replacing it. My dad and I were there to buy a couple hundred tickets for the Boy Scouts, and in light of our business, the agent gave the schedule sign to me.

post-596-13118240701859_thumb.jpg

post-596-13118240766453_thumb.jpg

Operations notice was given to me by a Pace driver who didn't want it. Beyond ironic I have it though, considering that it mentions to not discuss internal business with passengers! tongue.gif

post-596-13118240835768_thumb.jpg

I got plenty more I can show off too! Things like a shiny blue Pace Million Miler jacket, old Waukegan-North Chicago Transit uniform, more old tranfers, Pace birthday cards, the North garage groundbreaking ceremoy phamplet, the list goes on!

WoW! What A Collection! That's quite a collection you have there!

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Probably what would have been the best collectible was the CTA farebox (of the 1970s era, repainted beige for the New Looks) that I saw at the Chicago Store when it was still in the North Pier building. However, I could never figure out how to lug it home or what to do with it.

One just sold (12/26) on eBay. Sorry I'm late with this. The pics are cool, though.

Auction #230719872611

One just sold (12/26) on eBay. Sorry I'm late with this. The pics are cool, though.

Auction #230719872611

That's it, except that the CTA logo with the speed bars seems to be a later addition. Don't know why they mentioned trolley in the description, unless it was in a trolley bus before getting repainted. On the other hand, the "Exact fare required" stickers were standard from the beginning.

You'll also notice the five registers on the front, with the manual buttons. Those were added shortly after these fare boxes became standard, to register half fares, transfers, and the like (picture two is a better shot). Basically, these fare boxes became obsolete when the GFI ones could do it somewhat more automatically (at least digitally).

I finally got the North Ave Garage Bus roll sign I had been looking for. Because it is dated 1983, it also contains the Kedzie Garage bus routes that were assigned to North ave. while the replacement Kedzie Gar. was under construction. Routes assigned were #20 Madison, #16 Lake, #17 Westchester, #126 Jackson.

I finally got the North Ave Garage Bus roll sign I had been looking for. Because it is dated 1983, it also contains the Kedzie Garage bus routes that were assigned to North ave. while the replacement Kedzie Gar. was under construction. Routes assigned were #20 Madison, #16 Lake, #17 Westchester, #126 Jackson.

That's correct.

The question is whether something similar reflects when North Ave. was closed, but Chicago garage hadn't been built yet. In both cases, what we think as Kedzie routes were temporarily at Lawndale.

That's correct.

The question is whether something similar reflects when North Ave. was closed, but Chicago garage hadn't been built yet. In both cases, what we think as Kedzie routes were temporarily at Lawndale.

I have not yet fully unrolled the sign, I dont have the space!!! :) Because the roll is very thick and heavy, feels like the North Park roll sign I have, Im sure indicates that there are many more signs/routes in it. Im anxious to make the attempt to unroll it fully and see what else is hidden in it. I will try in my basement area, I do have lots of room available. I will snap some pics and post them if I can. I also obtained a nylon, warped, North ave roll sign, it looks to be about mid to late 1950s, so possibly it was a Marmon Herrington trolley coach sign. Ill also try to post so everyone can see. In unrelated news, I just got my okay today to start driving at National. My first day will be tues. Ill get my first taste of driving a Gillig. :)

I have not yet fully unrolled the sign, I dont have the space!!! :)

You basically have to handle it like a Torah--crank one roller loose while tightening the other.

The fabric one probably could be through 1973, but since the Marmons were also through about then, probably was from one.

My question was basically whether your sign lasted until the 1990s, or in effect got replaced again in about 1986. I don't know if anyone here knows, though.