MCTS: Service Disruptions and Uncertain future

I would guess the layover point for the Route 23/BlueLine would be 69th & Orchard, same location the Route 65 West Allis bus used to layover back in the day. I'm pretty excited about the Route 54 going all the way to 108th & Cleveland now, since I live near 27th & Burnham and work near 108th & Oklahoma, no more transferring to the Route 18 at 92nd & Lincoln! But I am gonna miss my Greenfield Avenue branch of Route 11 to downtown which I've been riding since it was the Route 19. Only things I don't like are why an express bus on Howell to the Airport when service on Howell was already reduced 3 years ago? I'd rather see the whole current Route 15 an express. And the RedLine/Route 62 thing, I wish that was on 27th Street instead.

And the RedLine/Route 62 thing, I wish that was on 27th Street instead.

27th Street was one of the considered express routes, so don't lose hope! If the MetroEXpress catches on like Metrolink did (and I'm pretty sure it will), there's a strong possibility of more express routes.

I would guess the layover point for the Route 23/BlueLine would be 69th & Orchard, same location the Route 65 West Allis bus used to layover back in the day. I'm pretty excited about the Route 54 going all the way to 108th & Cleveland now, since I live near 27th & Burnham and work near 108th & Oklahoma, no more transferring to the Route 18 at 92nd & Lincoln! But I am gonna miss my Greenfield Avenue branch of Route 11 to downtown which I've been riding since it was the Route 19. Only things I don't like are why an express bus on Howell to the Airport when service on Howell was already reduced 3 years ago? I'd rather see the whole current Route 15 an express. And the RedLine/Route 62 thing, I wish that was on 27th Street instead.

That would seem like the logical thing to have the RedLine operate on the 27 instead of the 62, but as stated in unreleased Transit reports, the 15, 23 and 62 were the strongest in recieving the grants (Which i personally think the 27 would have a better chance instead of the 62, but remember 27 is a blvd on the South end, Narrow on the North end, while Capitol is a Blvd all the way through and i think they need a East-West Route to justify the funds. Also, if you travel on Capitol Drive during rush hour, it's stop and go traffic. Personally, i think the RedLine should operate during Weekdays only, leaving Weekend and Holiday service to the 62, watch how service levels will change for the RedLine during it's first year of operation and you will see that the ridership levels justify the needs of the community which the RedLine serves.) Other than that, the new schedules should be posted on RideMCTS.com between now and January 12th, 2012 so watch this post as i will upload the Routes being modifed, the 2 new local routes and the MetroEXpress routes

They haven't announced it on the MCTS site (well, they said the 12th), but the schedules for the Express lines are up. Just go to the route listing, and they're right above the Riverside and Reagan routes.

Edit: mkebusfan88, you're right, the BlueLine lays over at 68th and Orchard. Good call!

I just have to say it...

-3 Express routes, one following the Metrolink 1, which was one of the most popular MCTS routes

-136 new buses on the way to replace the older models

-Minimal service impact

I'm excited to see what 2012 brings for Milwaukee's mass transit system. I really think this will be, if you'll excuse the pun, a turnaround for us!

I have the timetables for the New and Revised Routes that will change of January 29th, 2012. Printed schedules will be available aboard buses and MCTS Brochure Racks by January 25th, 2012.

mkebusfan88, Round of Applause on the call for the Route 23 (Fond Du Lac-National) and Blue Line (Fond du Lac-National) terminal call, you were right on the money!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MCTS BlueLine TIMETABLE.pdf

MCTS GREENLine TIMETABLE.pdf

MCTS REDLine TIMETABLE.pdf

ROUTE 15 12911.pdf

ROUTE 23 12911.pdf

ROUTE 52 12911.pdf

ROUTE 56 12911.pdf

ROUTE 62 12911.pdf

ROUTE 63 12911.pdf

ROUTE 54 12911.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

Remember, If you Downloaded the Transit Travel Guide, that i will be down in Chicago on Monday February 6th, 2012 for the meeting. If you would like to have a meet and greet session with me while i am down in Chicago, Please contact me on Facebook.com/Corey.K.Ellison for deatils on how we can possible meet and greet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CTA RedPurple Moderization Open House February 2012.pdf

This is exciting. Hopefully MCTS can find a dedicated source of funding so service can be improved all over the system. Anyone know if route 23 and/or the Blue line will be out of Fon Du Lac station, Kinnickinnic station or both?

BlueLine will likely be out of Fond Du Lac, the RedLine from Fiebrantz, and the GreenLine from either KK or Fiebrantz, maybe both.

Also, Wisconsin State Senator Jessica King is putting forth the "Workplace Mobility Act" that would restore the money from the 10% cut from the transit budget. She'll likely announce it on Monday, but if you're as pumped as I am, email her (the site is http://legis.wisconsin.gov/senate/king/Pages/default.aspx) and let her know you're behind her, and then let's get out there and spread awareness that we NEED transit for the economy!

BlueLine will likely be out of Fond Du Lac, the RedLine from Fiebrantz, and the GreenLine from either KK or Fiebrantz, maybe both.

Also, Wisconsin State Senator Jessica King is putting forth the "Workplace Mobility Act" that would restore the money from the 10% cut from the transit budget. She'll likely announce it on Monday, but if you're as pumped as I am, email her (the site is http://legis.wiscons...s/default.aspx) and let her know you're behind her, and then let's get out there and spread awareness that we NEED transit for the economy!

I will email her in support of this. The link isn't working though and if you could repost it that would be great. It is nice to know there is legislative support for transit.

@Archon- Thanks for the information.

I will email her in support of this. The link isn't working though and if you could repost it that would be great. It is nice to know there is legislative support for transit.

@Archon- Thanks for the information.

I forgot that the forum's software would truncate the link... http://legis.wiscons...es/default.aspx

If that doesn't work, I hope this does!

Who's going to be riding the new routes with me today? ;)

Here is the press release and photo from the MetroEXpress Introduction Ceremony on January 28th 2012 at UWM. It was once again very low key and i would have personally liked to have been there. I guess this is a once your the area, you better catch me in the moment type events, but neither more i am just excited just to have this historic photo and press release.

post-670-13279687530898_thumb.jpg

MCTS MetroEXpress Open Ceremony.pdf

Here are Service Packs for The New MetroExpress, 2 New Local Routes and 2012 Restructed Local Routes Detailing all Stop Changes and Accesible Route Guides. Please also download my 2012 Transit Travel Guide, Chicago i will be in your city February 6th 2012 for the RPModerization meeting in evanston. For a meet and greet session please contact me at facebook.com/Corey.K.Ellison. Please also note i will be doing my own review of all three MetroEXpress routes, the 2 new local routes and the restructed routes within the coming weeks. Please check back for my Official Review and if you have reviews on the new routes, please don't be afraid to post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MetroEXpress Service Pack (Stops and Accessible Route Guide).pdf

New Routes 52 (Clement-15th Ave) 56 (Greenfield Avenue) Service Pack (Stops and Accessible Route Guide).pdf

2012 Restructed Local Routes Service Pack (Stops and Accessible Route Guide).pdf

TRANSIT TRAVEL GUIDE FEBUARY 2012.pdf

My Lunch Time Spolier (Tuesday January 31st 2012)

So, my quest to find out how these routes operate began with me leaving class at 10:55 am for my hour and a half lunch break before my 12:30 pm class, so i decided that i might as well go and preview the new routes. So i catch a 40U to 6th and Wisconsin and waited almost 15 minutes for either a 23 or BlueLine. A 23 came and the first thing i noticed was the signage on the Route (23 Fond Du Lac-National "Flip" to Greenfield/68th) and how faster it served downtown instead of traveling slow to its downtown terminal. So i rode the 23 to 2nd and National and Noticed that on the Front Dash board it had a sign that said "BlueLine via Mill Rd". So i walked over to 1st street and this is when the trip really into high gear. I finally got my 1st experience with the MetroEXpress, the GreenLine no less. I Looked at the signage on the Route (GreenLine Bayshore-Airport to Airport "Flip" via Oakland-Howell), along the route i saw a northbound 15 (15 Holton-Kinnickinnic "Flip" to Bayshore) and then proceeded to depart the GreenLine at 1st/Mitchell (Note there are no stops between National and Mitchell along 1st, good job MCTS, make that 15 over work LOL). Thats when i saw all three of the New and Revised local routes Route 52 terminating at the Route 54 Terminal at the front of the Kinnickinnic Station (signage for the 52 (52 Clement-15th Ave "Flip" to KK/Mitchell), Route 56 terminating where the 17 (Canal St) terminates on 1st street (signage for the 56 (56 Greenfield "Flip" to 124th St) and when i boarded a Northbound GreenLine (Signage (Green Bayshore-Airport to Bayshore "Flip" via Howell-Oakland" a 54 pulled over to go westbound (signage 54 Mitchell-Burnham to 108th-Cleveland "Flip" W.A. Hospital). As i traveled to downtown, i noticed the trip was a lot quicker and these routes made me felt like i was an out of towner getting to learn the transit system all over again. These routes really had that "New Car" smell to them and i am excited for whats to come for my Review of these Routes in the weeks ahead.

Certain things i enjoyed during the Lunch Time Spoiler

Information (timetables and the Special Buslines) about the new Routes are still avaliable aboard buses

The New Route 23 (Fond Du Lac-National) (and the BlueLine aka Mill Rd Express) makes the 30 (Sherman-Wisconsin) look like crap. Yes the 30 serves numerious areas along the north side, but the New 23 (and the BlueLine aka Mill Rd Express) is a TRUE THROUGH ROUTE That serves basically all the important parts of the City. Good Job on also taking parts of the 18 (Which was handling different ridership levels on a baked schedule (Heavy on the East of 70th/Greenfield, Light on the West of 70th/Greenfield with 2 underused branches at 92nd) and putting them on segments that that actually can serve those areas based on there service levels (the Route 18 108th/Cleveland branch is a perfect blend for the 54, something that was realized years ago by riders and by creating the 56, Greenfield finally gets the service attention it needs instead of spliting segments on 2 different Routes (Route 18 between 70th and 124th and Route 11 Between 1st and Miller Park) and giving it service levels that actually matches the ridership levels.

The 15 looks like it lost a friend with the 15th Ave branch now created on the very-low frequency Route 52 (which is a mixture of factories and people that usually use transit once in a blue moon), which is a good choice because now the attention can be focused on the high ridership Chicago-Kinnickinnic Segment. Also, by tagging it along holton, it makes the Route balanced as it serves ridership levels that are equal on the north and the south. Now im sure most riders will transfer between the GreenLine and 15 at Lincoln and Mitchell from the south (due to concerns of some citizens safety) but the odds justifies the means and then riders on the Holton segment have enhanced service to Bayshore (Partly due to the Port Washington segment between Capitol and Kefee being elminated)

The GreenLine looks like its going to be very popular with eastsiders and people that live in Bayview. When getting off at Michigan and Water, i say a Southbound GreenLine Full Midday. I was excited to see that a name change can actually bring people out to public transit. I think the BlueLine will be popular only because 1, it gives riders on the Mill Rd Branch Express on First Serve basics before meeting up and blending with the 23 at 60th and Congress, 2 Southside Riders along National will finally have Express service, 3 you will have a faster commutee to downtown, but also between 68th/Greenfield, Downtown and 60th and Congress, you will have a choice of either a 23 coming or an Express coming every 10 mins (not an Express and the 23 coming at the same time, its in that order do to the 23 still operating off of the Congress Branch service levels and the Express operating off the Mill Rd service levels)

Also, MCTS adpating to CTA signage patterns since the introduction of the New UBUS Routes Fall 2010 and contiuning these patterns with the new 2012 routes (ex. 42U 6th St-Port Rd UBUS to MATC "flip" via Bayshore P&R "Flip" via Concordia Univ "Flip" Brown Deer P&R "Flip" via Cardinal Strich). By giving the Route Number, Name and then flipping over to the final destiation served, actually makes customers know that i am on the Right Route going the Right direction to the Right destiation. Now some routes will not chance signage patterns as the ones they have work for the segments they serve (ex. 12 Brown Deer "Flip" via 43rd (P.M. Trips) or Teutiona (A.M. Trips)| 30 Florst or 67th-Keefe or towards southeast 30 UWM via Maryland or UWM via Downer).

I will have more reports as the weeks come along and ride the Express and the High Level Local Routes during rush how, with riding the low producing routes usually during the weekend. I will list all the dates and Route titles on each report and remember if you have any feed back, please don't feel afraid to post an opinion

I was on KK & Mitchell last night to buy my February bus pass and I noticed all the out of service buses around there with the signage "TO KK/MITCHELL"

Yes, they seem to have changed the Signage on Most Routes to be geographly correct with the Route name, destantion and terminal. Im very excited as this seems to be an system wide practice and not just a station or a couple of Routes trial run. I hope other routes follow suit in this new format (62 Captiol "Flip" to 76th-Capitol or even 23 Fond Du Lac-National "flip" to Calmunet/Granville "Flip" via 91st-Congress)

Yes, they seem to have changed the Signage on Most Routes to be geographly correct with the Route name, destantion and terminal. Im very excited as this seems to be an system wide practice and not just a station or a couple of Routes trial run. I hope other routes follow suit in this new format (62 Captiol "Flip" to 76th-Capitol or even 23 Fond Du Lac-National "flip" to Calmunet/Granville "Flip" via 91st-Congress)

Last night I saw a bus pulling in to Fiebrantz with the sign: to Capital/19th. I ride the 143 Ozaukee county Express and the old signs I saw were as follow: 143 Ozaukee Co Exp "flip" Downtown, and 143 Ozaukee Co Express "flip" Pt. Wash. , there is one for Grafton also. Yesterday the signs were : 143 Ozaukee Co Exp "flip" to Downtown Milwaukee, and 143 Ozaukee Co Exp "flip" to Saukville-Pt. Wash.

I'll try to tomorrow, but if anyone could get video of the dest. sign flipping like that, I'd love it. I mean, my friends ALREADY think that my bus knowledge borders on scary...

That's why I love this site. I can pursue my bus interest and learn from others out there. Anyone know if the MCTS buses with LED signs have the capability to show different colors and if so willthe signs for the greenline be green? Same with blue and red. I hope to spend some time over the weekend bus watching and riding.

That's why I love this site. I can pursue my bus interest and learn from others out there. Anyone know if the MCTS buses with LED signs have the capability to show different colors and if so willthe signs for the greenline be green? Same with blue and red. I hope to spend some time over the weekend bus watching and riding.

Nope, they're (on the LED signs) amber or nothin'. They use the Luminator Horizon system which is monochrome. Luminator does make the Spectrum, which is full color, but most bus-based transit organizations don't need multiple colors and the added expense, which is very much the concern of MCTS.

If you have any other questions, ask away! Currentz is a wonderful watcher and gatherer of operations info, and I've grown up around MCTS and know the technical side of it all.