Pace Roster

BusHunter

The 12 years is an FTA requirement, and hence as a minimum applies across the country if federal money is used.*

It doesn't appear as though CTA or Pace comes close to 12 years; for instance CTA 6400s received in early 2001 are still around, so that's 14 years.

Only exception is that the 2500 series ElDorado Transmarks were rated by the federal government at 10 years and were gone pretty immediately. The impression of posters here was that the 2379 series of Nova Classics was also gone pretty quick.

But you are correct that some Orion Is (1993) did last about 20 years.The 1999 NABIs (2401s) sure didn't.

_______

*CTA said that they had to settle with the FTA with regard to the federal contribution for the NABIs, but I'm pretty sure that was done by saying that CTA has to pay the leases on 4000-4149.

2379-2400 Classics were very poorly suited for what they ended up being used for. They were bought specifically for the North Central "Midday Bus" route 960 and 961. When these routes were quickly deemed unsuitable and replaced by a couple of additional train trips, at first they were tried on 855, but after that route went back to full coach service the buses landed in local service, mostly at Northwest where they were mostly used on trippers. Because they had coach interiors they were not suited for local service like the 230 at all. In addition because of how the door controls were set up, they had longer-than-average dwell times at stops, which meant they were not liked on main routes as being 'slow" I gather at the end at least some landed at North Shore on school trippers where their oddities did not matter much.

2379-2400 Classics were very poorly suited for what they ended up being used for. They were bought specifically for the North Central "Midday Bus" route 960 and 961. When these routes were quickly deemed unsuitable and replaced by a couple of additional train trips, at first they were tried on 855, but after that route went back to full coach service the buses landed in local service, mostly at Northwest where they were mostly used on trippers. Because they had coach interiors they were not suited for local service like the 230 at all. In addition because of how the door controls were set up, they had longer-than-average dwell times at stops, which meant they were not liked on main routes as being 'slow" I gather at the end at least some landed at North Shore on school trippers where their oddities did not matter much.

• You forgot that over half of the NW ones (2390-2400) were originally placed on 636 and 637.
  • Another group (2379-2389) was sent to SW and Joliet for 835, not 855. 855 (until BOS) was run by Coach USA {and previously other motor coach companies}, with their own equipment.
  • You also forgot that after their NW experience, that group was sent to South and West, when Pace took over operation (from Pauline), and they were regulars on 767, 877 and 888, until in the case of 877 and 888, Pace got 6900-6907. Then those went to NS, and while in mixed service, were often used on 626.

Thus, your characterization is mostly incorrect.

They sure as hell need them very badly.

I'm curious as to why though? Has routing increased so more buses are needed?

I guess West is probably in overflow as they are starting to see the Orions come back to them from NW. I may have answered my own question, but I don't know.

I guess West is probably in overflow as they are starting to see the Orions come back to them from NW. I may have answered my own question, but I don't know.

Usually the cause and effect are reverse. It seems with that many new buses coming into NW, for other buses to go elsewhere rather than the scrap pile indicates that they are needed somewhere else. However, that still leaves (for Garmon) why S needs them.

Usually the cause and effect are reverse. It seems with that many new buses coming into NW, for other buses to go elsewhere rather than the scrap pile indicates that they are needed somewhere else. However, that still leaves (for Garmon) why S needs them.

Based on my experience riding 352, 353, 359, and 364, South haven't been keeping up with the NABI's consistently i.e. engine/transmission problems, brake problems, faulty stop requested cords that don't work, torned up seats, etc. The 2400s was a complete joke while at South but I'm glad they're gone. As the way I see it, South has the second or third oldest fleet.

....As the way I see it, South has the second or third oldest fleet.

Age probably isn't the issue so much as that the S ones probably have the most mileage and abuse. At least there is the fleet replacement planned for there around the end of the year.

• You forgot that over half of the NW ones (2390-2400) were originally placed on 636 and 637.
  • Another group (2379-2389) was sent to SW and Joliet for 835, not 855. 855 (until BOS) was run by Coach USA {and previously other motor coach companies}, with their own equipment.
  • You also forgot that after their NW experience, that group was sent to South and West, when Pace took over operation (from Pauline), and they were regulars on 767, 877 and 888, until in the case of 877 and 888, Pace got 6900-6907. Then those went to NS, and while in mixed service, were often used on 626.

I'll add, using those buses out of West in mixed use (primarily on 307 and 311) and NS (215) was very jarring. But they got some use nonetheless. They might've also been used in UPS service as well (often I'd see the 2200's doing the work).

I'll add, using those buses out of West in mixed use (primarily on 307 and 311) and NS (215) was very jarring. But they got some use nonetheless. They might've also been used in UPS service as well (often I'd see the 2200's doing the work).

On West, it depends on how much use 3 out of maybe 120 buses got.

UPS would depend (for the most part) on how SW used them. There seemed to be some that were on 382 during midday, then do 835.

I've been on the Nova Classics on the 626. They were great buses on that route. I also remember seeing them on the now defunct 835 also.

Age probably isn't the issue so much as that the S ones probably have the most mileage and abuse. At least there is the fleet replacement planned for there around the end of the year.

True, but it worries me that now the new buses could end up getting the same amount of abuse after a few years. It's one thing that passengers abuse them, that's probably the case on all locations. But the fact South isn't keeping up with them is pretty sad.

I remember when Heritage (Joliet) had some Nova Classics, back in 2003, I did spot one on 834 at Bolingbrook on Boughton Rd & Schmidt Rd in 2003, then later about 2005 I spotted another Classic at Midway Airport working 831 as last trip just before they were transferred to SW. I rode all 2379-89 on SW Routes & 2398-2400 on few West Routes & Couple SW routes after when they were Moved from West to SW Division. Those were my favorite Canadian Model buses and I miss them a lot and I grew up on a MCI Classics back in Michigan when I was a kid.

Based on my experience riding 352, 353, 359, and 364, South haven't been keeping up with the NABI's consistently i.e. engine/transmission problems, brake problems, faulty stop requested cords that don't work, torned up seats, etc. The 2400s was a complete joke while at South but I'm glad they're gone. As the way I see it, South has the second or third oldest fleet.

I agree, I live at South Suburbs. In the last couple years, I've been seeing bunch of Older NABIs of 6162s Series constantly breaking down quite often like Retired NABI 2401s were. Yes, Thank God 2401s NABIs are gone, they were lemons since still briefly new. Maybe it's time for some of the older NABIs to go which it's why West done gave some more of their older NABIs to South which it makes sense because they're new Eldorados are coming to the South.

It was always a West bus, but was loned to NW for quite some time...

Come to think about it, I don't think it started at West because I saw that model (Prototype at the time) operated #359 (northbound) in 2010. At the time, it wasn't #6323. It was numbered #2010. However you are right about it being West's but I've never saw it operate any of the West's routes.

North Shore has the same 4-5 NABIs assigned to the 215 every day.

I think 6232, 6233, etc.

And at least once a year, on a hot day in the summer, both the heat & A/C are running at the same time.

Gee guys, how about a simple manual valve to cut off the hot water to the radiators inside the bus for summer?

Under $10 at the Home Depot a few blocks away, plus an hour of work to install it!

Come to think about it, I don't think it started at West because I saw that model (Prototype at the time) operated #359 (northbound) in 2010. At the time, it wasn't #6323. It was numbered #2010. However you are right about it being West's but I've never saw it operate any of the West's routes.

The two of them are different buses. Catdb has 2010 as a demonstrator, retained by the manufacturer. They have 6323 built in 2012, although its VIN precedes that of 6324. Apparently it was used as a touring bus to demonstrate such things as the restraint system, but eventually ended up at Pace. Jesi is undoubtedly correct that it was a West bus, at least on the roster, then apparently became a trainer at NW for when 6392-99 arrived.

The two of them are different buses. Catdb has 2010 as a demonstrator, retained by the manufacturer. They have 6323 built in 2012, although its VIN precedes that of 6324. Apparently it was used as a touring bus to demonstrate such things as the restraint system, but eventually ended up at Pace. Jesi is undoubtedly correct that it was a West bus, at least on the roster, then apparently became a trainer at NW for when 6392-99 arrived.

Thanks for the info. Would it make sense if NW got them first before West despite West didn't had a crappy fleet?

Thanks for the info. Would it make sense if NW got them first before West despite West didn't had a crappy fleet?

Not sure what you are asking here. If it is about 6323-6376, W got them because they were replacing scattered Orion Is and 2401 series NABIs, but Pace wasn't going to spread them around, but did such things as send its 6600s to N and NS, and sent some blue NABIs to S. Obviously, NW is getting 6392 up because the oldest buses now are at NW. I noted about a year ago that it appeared that the first delivery was 6392-99 (apparently except 6395, which cptdb says was the Altoona bus) because there was an equivalent number of 6000s then sitting in the South Holland yard.