Pace Bus Accidents

rotjohns

Haven't heard about that one, but 2450 was rear-ended on Grand and Genesee about an hour ago. I was doing some errands on foot, dropping off packages at the post office half a block north of the scene of the accident, then going to Ace Hardware, just across the street.

Police and firetrucks all came out for it. Some piddlydink little car rear ends a 16 ton bus, and they make all that about it!

In any event, I was getting ready to cross Genesee when the supervisor out there took a picture of the accident, which I was next to. I think that he has me in the picture there!

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/chi-23-suffer-minor-injuries-in-pace-bus-accident-in-austin-20110830,0,2789227.story

1. A lot of injuries for a "minor" accident. Can you say cha-ching?

2. The writer for this story doesn't know this area or their directions.

- Mayfield is east of the station, so technically no one should've been on this bus.

-If indeed traveling south on Mayfield, the bus would have to turn RIGHT to proceed westbound to pick up passengers at the Austin station at Austin and Corcoran. I've never seen eastbound 303 or 313 passengers ride around to alight on the Corcoran side at the Austin station. Most walk the short distance from Austin/Lake, seeing that most of the time the bus stages on Lake until near time to depart from station.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/chi-23-suffer-minor-injuries-in-pace-bus-accident-in-austin-20110830,0,2789227.story

1. A lot of injuries for a "minor" accident. Can you say cha-ching?

2. The writer for this story doesn't know this area or their directions.

- Mayfield is east of the station, so technically no one should've been on this bus.

-If indeed traveling south on Mayfield, the bus would have to turn RIGHT to proceed westbound to pick up passengers at the Austin station at Austin and Corcoran. I've never seen eastbound 303 or 313 passengers ride around to alight on the Corcoran side at the Austin station. Most walk the short distance from Austin/Lake, seeing that most of the time the bus stages on Lake until near time to depart from station.

According to the pic on the website, it looks like 6232. That bus I'm sure will be repaired and back out soon.

***UPDATE**** I physically saw 6232 on the 322 yesterday. So unless that turnaround is the quickest ever, maybe that pic is a stock photo.

• 2 months later...

Report just in about a PACE Bus crashing into a building in suburban Harvey, IL. Location is at 154th and Park. Story still developing at the time of this post...

According to the link below, its 6171. The front at least in the pic doesn't look all that horrible. But we'll wait and see what they do to it. Glad everyone is ok.

http://www.nbcchicago.com/traffic/transit/harvey-pace-bus-accident-153rd-park-avenue-133917473.html

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Watching the news, it appears a Pace Bus is involved in an accident on I-90 near Barrington Road going east. It most likely was heading to the garage after running route 610. The top of the bus appears to show Orion 6020, but it was kinda fuzzy from the chopper.

UPDATE: It had to be 6020 because its showing on Webwatch as running on route 610, although it appears it was ok to go back to the garage as it indicated destination reached.

• 11 months later...

Looks like 2777 had an accident this morning. It was clipped by a snow plough.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/suburbs/glenview/chi-pace-bus-crash-glenview-chicago-20130208,0,4981535.story

Yep. TV copters showed it being towed out of a yard at Glenview Road and Spruce, which would be route 210.

The TV and radio reports didn't mention that a snow plow hit it.

• 1 month later...

Operator error caused this fire.

Not going to post details, as nothing I have been told about the fire has been confirmed....

Since most of the burning is around the wheels, it looks like a brake fire. Hence, I wouldn't assume operator error.

I'm comparing it with the withdrawn picture of 2453, in which (if memory serves) the whole back grill was melted.

However, it was probably going to be taken out of service in two weeks in any event.

The operator error did indeed involve the brake system. I have heard so far that it involved moving the bus with the parking brake engaged, though I didn't think it could move if it were. Also sounds like the driver should have had the garage send out a tow truck instead of driving it. The bus was heading back to the garage, as it was replaced with a changeup.

Again, this is only what I have heard from a number of the drivers here.

I guess this was bound to happen. Pace drivers have a bad habit of applying the parking brake while the bus is still in gear. This usually occurs at stoplights and so far, to my knowledge, no one has forgotten to release the parking brake before taking off. I don't know about these buses, but MCI coaches require a full brake application after releasing parking brake in order for brakes to be fully released. Failure to do so results in either the bus not moving at all if everything is working proper or the bus dragging. Both are clear signs that the brakes have not released. I have always been in the habit of a full brake app after releasing parking brake regardless of make and model of bus.

• 5 years later...
16 minutes ago, rotjohns said:

http://wgntv.com/2018/06/18/9-injured-after-bolingbrook-bus-crash/

Moved the thread here.  Interesting to see if #2749 comes back to service.  

Never know about frame damage, but considering it was only a tree, once the tree settles the lawsuit, it should be back.

6 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

Well it depends on whether they want to rebuild the front end. With it being next on the retirement list after the 6262s where will it be on the reliability scale in 2 years and then it's not a full size bus which makes it somewhat easier to write off. So I think it has more against it then for it.

I assume you have gone down to Pace Heritage Division with a mechanic and surveyed the vehicle in question.

• 5 months later...
18 hours ago, artthouwill said:

Trying to piece this together. This happened at 103rd and Blackstone,  which really is at an intersection for the on and off ramps to and from the Bishop Ford. It's clear the Pace bus was turning south to enter the Expressway.  The speed limit along that stretch of 103rd is 35mph.  There is also a traffic light there.

Did the Pace driver misjudge the speed and distance of the oncoming CTA bus?

Was the CTA drive speeding?

Was the CTA driver possibly trying to beat a changing traffic light?  If so,did he assume the Pace driver wa stopped.

Was the Pace driver trying to beat the light and assumed the CTA bus would stop?

The video cameras on the buses should answer some of the questions.  Would either agency be forthcoming with that info?

Article says the Pace Bus was making a right turn onto Woodlawn, not Blackstone. I’m not sure why it would be as no Pace route serves that street and it doesn’t seem like a typical deadhead route, so maybe the article was wrong. At any rate, it was turning right when it was hit from behind by the CTA bus, as evidenced by the position of the damage.

A few things in the article got me to wondering whether some unexpected situation occurred (for example, the Pace driver turned right from the left lane). There are statements that initially seemed to contradict each other: the Pace bus “crashed into” the CTA bus, and “the CTA bus rear-ended the other bus”. The other things that stood out are the unusual route and the fact that no citations were issued. In a typical rear-end crash, the rear driver gets a citation.

The CPD crash report number is JB513729. Posted speed limit was 30 MPH. The pavement was wet. The traffic signal was functioning properly and there were no road defects that contributed to the crash. The intersection played a role in the crash. Property damage was over $1500. Approximate address was 1501 E 103rd, or here, so you are correct the bus was turning into the southbound ramp.

The primary cause of the accident is listed as UNABLE TO DETERMINE, which further makes me think that it was not as simple as the news article makes it sound. If the police couldn’t reach a conclusion, I certainly can’t either.

Source

2 hours ago, andrethebusman said:

Something here does not compute. Right rear corner of Pace bus smashed BACK and CTA bus right front smashed in. To me this means collision between vehicles traveling in opposite directions at about a 45 degree angle. In other words, eb CTA clipped wb Pace who was making left turn.

I’ll amend my prior posts. For some reason I thought the article said the bus was turning right, but it doesn’t. So I agree with your conclusion.