Pace Board Meetings

Busjack

To remove one thing from speculation, the Pace Minutes state:

Of course, at the rate they get buses out of the prep area in South Holland.............

Reading the minutes, I didn't know they wanted to set up a similar service to the I-55 shoulder service on I-90. Perhaps from NWTC to the loop? I wonder if that may hurt ridership on the #600? Also they want to start rebuilding Pace Northwest. There was a big parcel of land that opened up just NW of Pace NW. I wonder if they are eyeing that as a potential location/expansion? They also want to set up a BRT like service on Milwaukee Blvd.

Reading the minutes, I didn't know they wanted to set up a similar service to the I-55 shoulder service on I-90. Perhaps from NWTC to the loop? I wonder if that may hurt ridership on the #600? Also they want to start rebuilding Pace Northwest. There was a big parcel of land that opened up just NW of Pace NW. I wonder if they are eyeing that as a potential location/expansion? They also want to set up a BRT like service on Milwaukee Blvd.

None of this is new.

They are applying for a CMAQ to set up express services to mitigate congestion that will occur while the Adams is rebuilt with the doubling of tolls, and supposedly the rebuilding is to include a median that could be used by Pace or the Star Line (but now more likely Pace). See, e.g. page 85 of the Budget. That included routes to the Randall Road area from Rosemont or NWTC.

I had previously mentioned that something got demolished on Northwest Highway at the entrance to Pace Northwest. Various budgets indicated that they wanted to buy land when it was cheap, then didn't have the money, and now apparently they are thinking about it again.

We've also mentioned the Milwaukee Ave. ART project.

Update: I finally found where the Addams Tollway proposal was first discussed--here.

Apparently Pace takes down its minutes after 2 months, so the link is dead, and I can't even find that one cached on Google. Anyway, there were discussions about express routes as indicated above, and feeders to the NWTC from Addison and Palatine, as well as park and rides at Ill. 59 and Randall Road.

None of this is new.

They are applying for a CMAQ to set up express services to mitigate congestion that will occur while the Adams is rebuilt with the doubling of tolls, and supposedly the rebuilding is to include a median that could be used by Pace or the Star Line (but now more likely Pace). See, e.g. page 85 of the Budget. That included routes to the Randall Road area from Rosemont or NWTC.

I had previously mentioned that something got demolished on Northwest Highway at the entrance to Pace Northwest. Various budgets indicated that they wanted to buy land when it was cheap, then didn't have the money, and now apparently they are thinking about it again.

We've also mentioned the Milwaukee Ave. ART project.

Thanks for the info. About the EN Axess', you quoted a few posts up that Pace states delivery won't start until Nov. I initially thought then that they would receive 65 buses in those last two months, as that's what you stated they had money for, but page 38 states they have funding for 92 buses used from state bonds and funds for up to 80 more. (alternate funding source) So I guess anything's possible. At least I finally got to see a paratransit farebox. (page 52)

Thanks for the info. About the EN Axess', you quoted a few posts up that Pace states delivery won't start until Nov. I initially thought then that they would receive 65 buses in those last two months, as that's what you stated they had money for, but page 38 states they have funding for 92 buses used from state bonds and funds for up to 80 more. (alternate funding source) So I guess anything's possible. At least I finally got to see a paratransit farebox. (page 52)

On the budget and deliveries, they pretty much never correspond. The only thing that corresponds here is my prior statement that it takes about a year to get a bus after it is ordered, and since the contract was approved in Oct. 2011, well, that's about a year. Then, how many buses a week ElDorado National can deliver is another issue (IIRC, CTA NF buses were delivered about 10 a week).

The 65 buses was the base first year amount in the Invitation for Bids. The IFB says "The actual quantity of buses that may be purchased in any one year may vary from the quantities listed below. However, the total number of buses procured will not exceed the maximum of ...416." The final 2012 budget indicates enough money for 172 buses. If that much were spent, Pace would be exercising the first year 65 and the second year 95, plus a few more (unless some of them are OTRs).

It would make sense that NW is due for upgrade. That garage goes back to the United Motor Coach days and is Pace's oldest garage. Most of the buses are stored outdoors. It would make governmental sense to not buy land when it is cheap and then get held up for more when they decide to make a decision. If HQ is any indication, it'll probably be about 10 years before NW gets updated.

It would make sense that NW is due for upgrade. That garage goes back to the United Motor Coach days and is Pace's oldest garage. Most of the buses are stored outdoors....

Besides that, clicking through the Pace Divisions page indicates that it has about 40% of the space of the South and West garages, which I assume have similar operational needs, and, in fact, is the same size as North Shore, even though NS has maybe only 40% of the number of buses.

Supposedly, Heritage is older, but doesn't have the same storage requirements (23 30 footers and I guess 8 OTRs). That page says renovated in 1985, although Pace usually says that it goes back to the 1920s.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Of interest in the June 6, 2012 agenda are:

• Open Standards Fare System - Intergovernmental Agreement
  • Open Standards Fare System - Contract

One can assume (as is usually the case) that Pace is getting on board with CTA and Cubic.

Leaves only Metra to show its hand.

• 1 month later...

Maybe of significance here is the entry in the March minutes that the budget was amended to change 16 fixed route vehicles to 15 OTRs, sort of what I suggested earlier.

The June minutes indicate authorization to lease more buses; I assume as a stopgap until the requisition goes through.

I wonder where Pace is leasing thesr buses from? I saw a leased coach and they areOLDER than 6900 -,6905.

The only indication is CPTDB, which at least says that they are older model buses. Apparently, this is not a rent to own situation.

The only indication is CPTDB, which at least says that they are older model buses. Apparently, this is not a rent to own situation.

I didn't realize this until looking at the site, but all of the white Nabis are at or approaching 10 years old. Pace will be replacing a lot of buses in the next 3-5 years.

I didn't realize this until looking at the site, but all of the white Nabis are at or approaching 10 years old. Pace will be replacing a lot of buses in the next 3-5 years.

That was essentially the conversation with BusHunter, who thought a contract for up to 416 40 foot buses indicated big expansion, but my conclusion was no. Of course, we had the intervening legislation on converting South to CNG.

But, in 2003, one could go outside South Holland and see that the yard was packed, and with fleet numbers much higher than what Pace had announced (i.e. the announcement was for 42 6600s, but two more orders came in, bringing it to 84; similarly 71 40 footers was announced, but they got 99).

• 3 weeks later...

All the love for Flo Boone. And when she wanted to build that new headquarters they now reside in, all were appalled she wanted her name on the building. All those people are two faced schumcks.

Regardless of your use of Yiddish, the minutes a couple of months ago reflect that they are thinking about it.

I know...I saw it (and it bugged me then too), Yiddish aside !!!

I'm not sure what side you are taking on this.

My viewpoint is that all public buildings and stadia with public subsidies should be called the "Taxpayers of the State of Illinois" building. But that's not going to happen.

I went to a high school (in another state) named after a living school board official, who, when later working for the city, was indicted, but his school hasn't been demolished yet. At least nobody has christened the Blago or Kruesi transit center....yet.

I'm not sure what side you are taking on this.

I really could care less if it is the Florence Boone Corporate Headquarters or Joe DiJohn Corporate Headquarters. My point is that they ran her out, chastized her on her plan (building the new HQ) and

now they do an about face and she is a hero and legend. Typical politics.

• Upvote 1

I really could care less if it is the Florence Boone Corporate Headquarters or Joe DiJohn Corporate Headquarters. My point is that they ran her out, chastized her on her plan (building the new HQ) and

now they do an about face and she is a hero and legend. Typical politics.

That's clearer.

Apparently they don't feel like dumping on the dead, and, in this case, apparently one to whom they owe their corporate existence.

But, by the last standard, they should already have a statue of Rep. Elaine Nekrtiz in their lobby for shepherding through all the recent legislation Pace wanted, even though some of it is not in their best interests (i.e. take paratransit off the top, and let us borrow $100 million).

• 4 months later...