Miscellaneous Transit Stories

sw4400

44 minutes ago, Busjack said:

BusHunter is certainly wrong, but you are incorrect too. The ADA regulations I cited say:

Service animals are defined as dogs that are individually trained to do work or perform tasks for people with disabilities. Examples of such work or tasks include guiding people who are blind, alerting people who are deaf, pulling a wheelchair, alerting and protecting a person who is having a seizure, reminding a person with mental illness to take prescribed medications, calming a person with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) during an anxiety attack, or performing other duties.

OK, you are correct on that point. I didn't realize there were dogs trained to detect an anxiety attack. The actual text of the ADA doesn't specifically mention PTSD, which was the basis for my prior post.

1 hour ago, Busjack said:

BusHunter is certainly wrong, but you are incorrect too. The ADA regulations I cited say:

Service animals are defined as dogs that are individually trained to do work or perform tasks for people with disabilities. Examples of such work or tasks include guiding people who are blind, alerting people who are deaf, pulling a wheelchair, alerting and protecting a person who is having a seizure, reminding a person with mental illness to take prescribed medications, calming a person with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) during an anxiety attack, or performing other duties.

Yeah but the guy said the dog carried his inhaler. Why would a dog be taught that? The dog is going to administer it? xD (This is where his story has holes)  It can just as well be on the person. Next I'll hear the dog carried a urine bag and the guy has bladder issues.

Now you are correct about the ptsd but why would a ptsd sufferer have asthma. Usually one cause or the other is diagnosed. I never heard of an asthma sufferer with ptsd. I'm willing to bet the guy has asthma and is using the ptsd trick to get the dog to go with him. Strange also that his buddy has the exact same affliction. Some people are willing to believe anything. 9_9

56 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

Yeah but the guy said the dog carried his inhaler. Why would a dog be taught that? The dog is going to administer it? xD (This is where his story has holes)  It can just as well be on the person. Next I'll hear the dog carried a urine bag and the guy has bladder issues.

Now you are correct about the ptsd but why would a ptsd sufferer have asthma. Usually one cause or the other is diagnosed. I never heard of an asthma sufferer with ptsd. I'm willing to bet the guy has asthma and is using the ptsd trick to get the dog to go with him. Strange also that his buddy has the exact same affliction. Some people are willing to believe anything. 9_9

He said he had PTSD and asthma, but not that one caused the other. I did think it was strange that the same dog would perform tasks for two separate conditions, not to mention that carrying an inhaler isn't something that requires a dog. He should have had enough room for one in the bags he was carrying. The dog was wearing a red vest, but I wasn't close enough to see whether the vest had any sort of pouch that might contain an inhaler. He mentioned he had been in the military, which is a common cause of PTSD, though he didn't explicitly connect the two. His buddy did not claim to have any medical condition, and for that matter I don't remember him speaking at all.

3 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Yeah but the guy said the dog carried his inhaler. Why would a dog be taught that? .....

Yeah, why are you giving every argument under the sun, when your post exhibit a lack of knowledge about service dogs or about PTSD, and an unwillingness to read the ADA and FTA regulations? Do you think you can outargue the Justice Department?

7 hours ago, Busjack said:

Yeah, why are you giving every argument under the sun, when your post exhibit a lack of knowledge about service dogs or about PTSD, and an unwillingness to read the ADA and FTA regulations? Do you think you can outargue the Justice Department?

But you didn't  answer my question. I can't  help if your passionate over victims rights but first you have to establish they have those rights to begin with. I know this. I know what I saw and if those guys are telling the truth then there doctors must not even care about their welfare. 

4 hours ago, BusHunter said:

But you didn't  answer my question. I can't  help if your passionate over victims rights but first you have to establish they have those rights to begin with. I know this. I know what I saw and if those guys are telling the truth then there doctors must not even care about their welfare. 

I posted the Justice Department and FTA regulations. What is in them that you can't comprehend? The DOJ ones say that someone with PTSD is entitled to have a service dog if it is on a leash or harness. That's it. Like I said, if you have  an argument with the DOJ, take it up with them.

There is nothing in the regulations that the protected person has to prove he has a certain condition, the dog is a service dog and not a cat or that it be muzzled.

Garmon questioned my Rosa Parks analogy, but I explained it as both involving the Civil Rights laws. What you want is similar to giving the bus driver, when ordering someone to the back of the bus to prove if they are African, Mestizo, Mulatto, Black Native American, etc. and classifying them on that basis. Parts of the U.S once worked that way, but your buddies at Forest Glen are not allowed to do that now. Similarly, your buddies are not allowed to administer an eye chart test if someone with dark glasses, a red tip cane and a service dog boards the bus (oh, your vision is still 20/70, the dog can't come on the bus).Nor may they make an independent diagnosis of PTSD.

Now, is any of that that hard to comprehend? The law does not require than an administrative judge ride every bus.This dog (especially with the cape) bore all indicia that it was legit, and again, if we believe the hearsay, the objection was the lack of a muzzle, something on which  you did not prove the driver had a right to insist, not that the person was masquerading as disabled.

Again, this should be the end of it.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

Well then I'll bring my favorite pet with me next time. If the rules are as lax as you mention. Again I stress they need to regulate this so we are protecting the right people and not just anyone. 

You favorite pet better be a dog, have a harness and, I presume, a red cape and proper papers.Your killer rabbit is not going to get on the bus under the cited regulation.

On your last statement, if you have that problem, again take it up with the DOJ:

U.S. Department of Justice
950 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Civil Rights Division
Disability Rights Section - NYA
Washington, D.C. 20530

• 4 weeks later...

Another new chapter of Bus Adventures Nationally. In this edition(like always), we see Operators going off on Passengers, Passengers going off on Operators, and everything else under the sun....

***Warning: All video links here may contain graphic language and/or physical behavior by those involved***

Couldn't really figure where to post this otherwise...... it's OT, yet kind of ties into an old story involving a retired, defective bus series, so it fits here a bit....

If anyone has been listening to the news, Samsung has now issued a recall for the Galaxy Note 7 which debuted just last month due to fires and exploding batteries in 35 phones. Someone I saw on the Samsung Facebook page said they got a text message telling them of the recall, and it got me to think of this retro moment from 2008-2009.....

So I was envisioning the text message to say this..... "You are using a Galaxy Note 7, please notify your carrier." :O:PxD 

img206.jpg

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/3/2016 at 3:13 AM, sw4400 said:

Couldn't really figure where to post this otherwise...... it's OT, yet kind of ties into an old story involving a retired, defective bus series, so it fits here a bit....

If anyone has been listening to the news, Samsung has now issued a recall for the Galaxy Note 7 which debuted just last month due to fires and exploding batteries in 35 phones. Someone I saw on the Samsung Facebook page said they got a text message telling them of the recall, and it got me to think of this retro moment from 2008-2009.....

So I was envisioning the text message to say this..... "You are using a Galaxy Note 7, please notify your carrier." :O:PxD 

img206.jpg

Well in the worst case scenario a Galaxy Note 7 could catch fire/explode on board a transit vehicle. Airlines are already giving precautions about not using or charging the device on their planes. I wonder how effective a similar statement from the CTA would be.

On 9/24/2016 at 3:33 PM, MTRSP1900-CTA3200 said:

Well in the worst case scenario a Galaxy Note 7 could catch fire/explode on board a transit vehicle. Airlines are already giving precautions about not using or charging the device on their planes. I wonder how effective a similar statement from the CTA would be.

Airplane has compressed oxygen, which would make the situation worse. However the way that flat tires and brake fires ignite buses, I don't know if a phone battery would have a worse effect than expected.

37 minutes ago, sw4400 said:

Pascack Valley Line had a serious accident today in Hoboken, New Jersey. Story

A more local source (NBC4).Looks like the train sped into a dead end terminal, and hit a cross platform and a station waiting area.No indication if Britney Haywood was at the controls.

Also strange that "Gov. Cuomo" commented. No sign of Christy Christie.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...