Jump to content
sw4400

Miscellaneous Transit Stories

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, geneking7320 said:

This video gives me another chance to say that I wish we had 45ft transit buses here in Chicago. :D

We did, for about 2 days. Anyway, given that NABI quit building them, and probably the reason that CTA did accept the pilot bus was because it was NABI, we know why we won't. LACMTA has the issue of what to do when they need to be replaced.

But maybe you were just being sarcastic.

The other things to figure are (1) it wouldn't be running over a skateboard in this Chicago weather, and (2) unlike what @BusHunter was trying to feed us, this CNG bus didn't explode.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, MTRSP1900-CTA3200 said:

LIRR: 

*Fan Railer goes M9 hunting*

LIRR:

1181477617_LIRRSFW.thumb.png.843669acd16da5f64502e6f32723aa65.png

I saw this, I was dying laughing. Easier for the railfan to report the conductor than it is for the conductor to get the police for whatever bs reason too 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

I saw this, I was dying laughing. Easier for the railfan to report the conductor than it is for the conductor to get the police for whatever bs reason too 

Right? And I love how the conductor tells Fan Railer not to film him, and yet all he had to do was keep his peanut brain head in the train and he would have gotten his way. The windows look pretty opaque on camera.

I think someone wants attention...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, MTRSP1900-CTA3200 said:

Right? And I love how the conductor tells Fan Railer not to film him, and yet all he had to do was keep his peanut brain head in the train and he would have gotten his way. The windows look pretty opaque on camera.

I think someone wants attention...

It's funny how some people are so averse to being filmed. If you really want to watch someone or take their picture, there are plenty of ways to do it that they wouldn't even recognize. But if they see you pointing a video camera in their direction, they freak out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Pace831 said:

It's funny how some people are so averse to being filmed. If you really want to watch someone or take their picture, there are plenty of ways to do it that they wouldn't even recognize. But if they see you pointing a video camera in their direction, they freak out.

In the city and age, many things can happen.   Your can be accused of wrongdoing,  someone can possibly use your image for profit  without permission, you could be stalked.  And yes,  some people are very much  camera shy.  But with so much technology ( security cameras,  red light cameras, smartphones, in cab cameras) it's a wonder if we can go one day without anyone getting at least one picture of us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/17/2019 at 2:42 PM, Busjack said:

We did, for about 2 days. Anyway, given that NABI quit building them, and probably the reason that CTA did accept the pilot bus was because it was NABI, we know why we won't. LACMTA has the issue of what to do when they need to be replaced.

But maybe you were just being sarcastic. 

 

Sorry for the late reply! I wasn't being sarcastic and regret that I didn't get to ride this type bus when CTA tested it.

I would like to see an experimental transit bus [if the feds would grant needed waivers] which would be 45 ft long but with one change.

I would have the low floor section just large enough to accommodate the present wheelchair space. I think it might speed up the bus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, geneking7320 said:

I would like to see an experimental transit bus [if the feds would grant needed waivers] which would be 45 ft long but with one change.

I would have the low floor section just large enough to accommodate the present wheelchair space. I think it might speed up the bus.

That wouldn't work.  Obviously, you haven't ridden some CTA routes where there are at least a half dozen people using walkers.  The 155 is one of them that always has old people with walkers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/18/2019 at 7:09 PM, strictures said:

That wouldn't work.  Obviously, you haven't ridden some CTA routes where there are at least a half dozen people using walkers.  The 155 is one of them that always has old people with walkers.

I happen to ride #3 King Dr quite a bit [I've a lot of walkers but I don't think 6 at a time]. I receive your point about the walkers though. The present situation wouldn't be as bad if

some of the people using walkers  would close them once they sat down. I still think l'd like to see more longer buses and artics.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/18/2019 at 11:20 AM, geneking7320 said:

Sorry for the late reply! I wasn't being sarcastic and regret that I didn't get to ride this type bus when CTA tested it.

I would like to see an experimental transit bus [if the feds would grant needed waivers] which would be 45 ft long but with one change.

I would have the low floor section just large enough to accommodate the present wheelchair space. I think it might speed up the bus.

To my knowledge,  NABI was the only builder to build a 45' transit bus.  Since there are plenty of  45' OTR coaches, perhaps it's time to reintroduce a 45' transit.  However I don't think. moving the high floor space forward accomplishes anything.  It won't speed boarding or alighting.

I must say from experience that driving a 45' bus will bring some challenges.  It would have to be limited to routes that don't have tight turns.  That extra 5 ft makes a huge difference.   If the wheelbase stays the same as a 40' bus, the potential for back end swing out accidents increase.  If the wheelbase is  lengthened, that may make certain turns harder to complete. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, artthouwill said:

To my knowledge,  NABI was the only builder to build a 45' transit bus.  Since there are plenty of  45' OTR coaches, perhaps it's time to reintroduce a 45' transit.  However I don't think. moving the high floor space forward accomplishes anything.  It won't speed boarding or alighting.

I must say from experience that driving a 45' bus will bring some challenges.  It would have to be limited to routes that don't have tight turns.  That extra 5 ft makes a huge difference.   If the wheelbase stays the same as a 49' bus, the potential for back end swing out accidents increase.  If the wheelbase is  lengthened, that may make certain turns harder to complete. 

My first thought when I read this was that it'll be easy given it's Chicago, but I forget that most routes have a terminus that require tight turns

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Because of an interesting change of plans in New York City, the London Underground is no longer the only major subway system with a fourth rail. As part of the 14th St Tunnel reconstruction project under the East River, the MTA has installed a "fourth rail" to replace the negative return cables that would connect to the running rails. The details and some images can be found in this link, but I'm not completely sure if they're going to add additional contact shoes like the London Underground rolling stock, or just electrically connect the running rails to the additional rail and just turn it into a giant return cable for that tunnel segment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, BusHunter said:

So they make novas with a door and a half? Never seen that before this is from Windsor.

106293532_10163883844515595_2074399174083521538_n.thumb.jpg.37457632d49656808b44d758de0af2ab.jpg

I assume it has something to do with maybe mobility or passenger flow? I’d assume the bigger door can open by itself, so maybe it’s to ensure there’s only enough space to board only, instead of people trying to both board and alight at the front?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was on the UPNW today around Clybourn and saw a SB (EB?) York Region Transit XD60 bus. I wonder what it was doing this far south in America

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Was on the UPNW today around Clybourn and saw a SB (EB?) York Region Transit XD60 bus. I wonder what it was doing this far south in America

Drivers have been known to make side trips?  Remember the Nova that made its way to Detroit,?  

This is beyond a side trip.  Where did this bus originate?  Uf Alabama it makes perfect sense,  although I don't think Aniston builds 60 ft buses.  St Cloud makes sense in that the bus would have to go through Detroit or Niagara Falls to enter Canada.  The real problem is if thus bus was actually built in Canada.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, artthouwill said:

Drivers have been known to make side trips?  Remember the Nova that made its way to Detroit,?  

This is beyond a side trip.  Where did this bus originate?  Uf Alabama it makes perfect sense,  although I don't think Aniston builds 60 ft buses.  St Cloud makes sense in that the bus would have to go through Detroit or Niagara Falls to enter Canada.  The real problem is if thus bus was actually built in Canada.

When I typed this, I didn’t understand just how far north Lake Superior was. If the bus was built in St Cloud, it was on the optimal routing (Kennedy Expy heading SB/EB). Even if the bus was built in Canada (I’m assuming Winnipeg) it’s actually still faster and easier to travel via America rather than try to head via Thunder Bay & Sault Ste. Marie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

When I typed this, I didn’t understand just how far north Lake Superior was. If the bus was built in St Cloud, it was on the optimal routing (Kennedy Expy heading SB/EB). Even if the bus was built in Canada (I’m assuming Winnipeg) it’s actually still faster and easier to travel via America rather than try to head via Thunder Bay & Sault Ste. Marie

Probably coming from St Cloud.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saw a xcelsior yesterday coming north on the tristate around 95th. It had a dark  blue bottom with a foot wide stripe of a lighter shade of green with the top half of the bus white in color. The blue and green was in a wave like a dart bus but not as wavy. Cant seem to place the bus. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Saw a xcelsior yesterday coming north on the tristate around 95th. It had a dark  blue bottom with a foot wide stripe of a lighter shade of green with the top half of the bus white in color. The blue and green was in a wave like a dart bus but not as wavy. Cant seem to place the bus. 

I haven't seen to Milwaukee in a minute. could it be?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Saw a xcelsior yesterday coming north on the tristate around 95th. It had a dark  blue bottom with a foot wide stripe of a lighter shade of green with the top half of the bus white in color. The blue and green was in a wave like a dart bus but not as wavy. Cant seem to place the bus. 

Sound Transit? Most, if not all their vehicles have that livery.

EA156060-1414-43A5-A78C-163ADBBBC208.thumb.jpeg.ba10e0d2e8236e332b71e450b2110dfd.jpeg78C021EE-13AB-49A4-A8B8-ED6F5014B62C.thumb.png.af3de8e6a6dc79e15eeae77a4b80dd80.png

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, MTRSP1900-CTA3200 said:

Yeah, they have XDE60s and XD60s in their fleet or on order.

Yeah I think you figured it out. Thanks. So those would come out of anniston? Isnt there the California ex  NABI plant. That's a long drive unless anniston has something the cali plant dont have. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Yeah I think you figured it out. Thanks. So those would come out of anniston? Isnt there the California ex  NABI plant. That's a long drive unless anniston has something the cali plant dont have. 

Apparently Anniston can do full production of New Flyer buses like the St. Cloud and Winnipeg facilities. I don’t know how New Flyer determines which transit agency gets buses from which factory, or if they allow each agency to choose that in their orders. I’m not sure about the NABI plant, I thought they were just making parts for the buses still out there, but I could be wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...