2400-series - Updates (Retired)

BusHunter

Here's a question for you guys. Have anyone ever seen a 2400 series coupled with the 2000's? I've seen them paired with the 26, 32, and the 2200 series for the exception of the 2000's. I missed those 2000 series trains by the way they were awesome.

The likelihood is pretty low. While I can't speak to their middle existence, either the 2400s were tested by themselves on the Lake-Dan Ryan (which would have been the best opportunity), or the 2000s were so badly damaged in the 1979 blizzard that they got relegated to places like the Linden Yard. In their latter days (say 1995-2000), 2400s were usually trained with 2600s on the Red Line, until they were removed from that service when the 2600s were rehabbed, and pretty much limited to the Purple and Green lines.

Here's a question for you guys. Have anyone ever seen a 2400 series coupled with the 2000's? I've seen them paired with the 26, 32, and the 2200 series for the exception of the 2000's. I missed those 2000 series trains by the way they were awesome.

Yes they trained together. Hard to see, but 2400s are cars 3 and 4 of the consist headed up by the 2000 series lead.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1403704

• Upvote 1

Yes they trained together. Hard to see, but 2400s are cars 3 and 4 of the consist headed up by the 2000 series lead.

Hard to see anything, other than anything after the 2000s doesn't appear to have roof vents.

1983 is within the range where I disclaimed knowledge.

The work motor 2400's will not be retired anytime soon. They'll be used to continue transporting equipment inside and on flatcars as needed throughout the system.

That makes me suspect that 2893-98 (which are work motor equipped) may also stay around a bit longer, even after the bulk of the 2600 fleet is retired or scrapped.

Great pic well there you have it the 2400's were once paired with the 2000's even if it was that one time it happened. Thanks again for that pic.

That makes me suspect that 2893-98 (which are work motor equipped) may also stay around a bit longer, even after the bulk of the 2600 fleet is retired or scrapped.

2401-2424 will be used to transport flatcars and other miscellaneous work car-related work required.

2893-2898 are used for the Santa's Express train during the Holidays, other times they'll no doubt be used like 2401-2424 once retired from revenue service.

3441-3444 will probably retire some of the 2400-Series work cars when they are retired from revenue service

Fun fact: 2891-2892 and 2899-2900 are also equipped with 600V jumper for work train service.

Unfortunately, the CTA personnel didn't share your feelings that the "New Look" Pullmans were "awesome", especially the personnel in charge in maintaining them. People say that's one of the reasons that the 2000s did not get any "farewell goodbyes."

When I was little, I thought the 2000s were awesome. Then I rode them as an adult. Not so awesome.

• 3 weeks later...

Hard to see anything, other than anything after the 2000s doesn't appear to have roof vents.

1983 is within the range where I disclaimed knowledge.

I'm in agreement with you. For what I can see. the last two cars could be 2200s, which didn't have roof vents either.

My recollection is as follows:

2000s and 2200s on Lake Dan Ryan

2000s and 2600s on Englewood/Jackson Pk Howard

2200s and 2600s on Congress/Douglas/Milwaukee

We know that the 2000s and the 2400s could train together, but after the blizzard of 1979, the 2000s were put on the Englewood Jackson Pk Howard and all of the 2400s were shifted to the Lake/Dan Ryan. I know that line kept its 2200s until the 2600s started arriving and then it sent its 2200s to the WNW line.

I'm in agreement with you. For what I can see. the last two cars could be 2200s, which didn't have roof vents either.

My recollection is as follows:

2000s and 2200s on Lake Dan Ryan

2000s and 2600s on Englewood/Jackson Pk Howard

2200s and 2600s on Congress/Douglas/Milwaukee

We know that the 2000s and the 2400s could train together, but after the blizzard of 1979, the 2000s were put on the Englewood Jackson Pk Howard and all of the 2400s were shifted to the Lake/Dan Ryan. I know that line kept its 2200s until the 2600s started arriving and then it sent its 2200s to the WNW line.

In the shot 2400s are wb and 2000s (along with 2400s or, as you say, possibly 2200s) eb, both LDRs. When has cta ever segragated compatible cars assigned to the same line?

I was at Midway today and in Midway Yard, there were still 2400 Series sitting there, and some were the work motor cars. Anyone know why they're still in Midway Yard?

I could be wrong, but when I saw "Ride The Rails" for the Green Line it looked like some 2400's were sitting in the yard at 63rd & Ashland, but there could be some stored at 63rd and Ashland.

I was at Midway today and in Midway Yard, there were still 2400 Series sitting there, and some were the work motor cars. Anyone know why they're still in Midway Yard?

The work cars are probably staying as that's where they are stationed. The #2400's were retired from revenue service not work train service so they still have a purpose. Are you sure you saw non work motor #2400's at Midway yard because I was there the night of the holiday bus and I even went up on the pedestrian bridge to Midway Airport and looked at the back part of the shop and there was nothing just work motors.

The work cars are probably staying as that's where they are stationed. The #2400's were retired from revenue service not work train service so they still have a purpose. Are you sure you saw non work motor #2400's at Midway yard because I was there the night of the holiday bus and I even went up on the pedestrian bridge to Midway Airport and looked at the back part of the shop and there was nothing just work motors.

I swear I saw work motors and regular 2400 Series. I saw them from the bridge over the 3 tracks and I saw them on an Orange Line arriving at Midway. They were in the middle tracks between 3200's and 2600's.

There are non work motor 2400s at Midway, you can get a better visual in the morning when the yard is mostly in service. I think they are on tracks 3-5. Usually mixed in with the work cars, the farther cars have their roller signs stripped and the ones closer to the station still have theirs. But I definitely have not witnessed that series in service since Halloween.

I work at Midway Shop. The 2400's left in the yard at Midway are still there because of lack of space at Skokie. We have also stripped parts from them to keep the work motors running.

As a bit of a cross-question, on the "5000 series deliveries" thread, somebody pointed out that there were two 5000s in the Midway yard. I went there too and saw them in the yard...5551-5552. Why are those there?

I work at Midway Shop. The 2400's left in the yard at Midway are still there because of lack of space at Skokie. We have also stripped parts from them to keep the work motors running.

You wouldn't want to say how many non work cars are there at Midway, would you? ( sounds like between 8-16 cars) It does makes sense then that we saw #2441-42 and a bunch others up at Howard yard. They may be doing the same harvesting of parts for the work cars there. Now this poses an interesting question. How long can they keep the work cars running before they have no parts to fix them and when that happens do they scrap the #2400 work cars and move on to #2600's?