2400-series - Updates (Retired)

BusHunter

On 7/22/2016 at 5:46 PM, chgofan78 said:

Does anyone know if their is a charter trip taking place this weekend?  All eight  of the historic 2400-series cars are sitting in Howard yard this evening and it looked as if the graffiti was finally cleaned off the four cars that were tagged.

They just announced on abcnews the throwback #2400's will be running tomorrow for the crosstown series between the cubs and sox on the red line. They claim they will take customers to the cell one day and take them to Wrigley on Wednesday. I'll see if I can fish up a link.

• 3 months later...
On ‎11‎/‎14‎/‎2011 at 2:52 PM, BusHunter said:
  • #2507-08 in service 2/16/78
  • #2521-22 in service 3/22/78; unit moved from active service to the long-term hold list by 9/5/2013; presumed scrapped

I found four "presumed scrapped" cars in Joliet. These are at Burris Equipment, 2001 Cherry Hill Road, along the CN ex-EJ&E mainline. So if you want to rent some 2400s this is the place to go!

DSCF1235.JPG

DSCF1236.JPG

DSCF1238.JPG

DSCF1239.JPG

DSCF1240.JPG

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Pace831 said:

I found four "presumed scrapped" cars in Joliet. These are at Burris Equipment, 2001 Cherry Hill Road, along the CN ex-EJ&E mainline. So if you want to rent some 2400s this is the place to go!

Darn, I can't find rental rates for them. I just want to see what you have to pony up to get them for a bit. :P

38 minutes ago, MTRSP1900-CTA3200 said:

Darn, I can't find rental rates for them. I just want to see what you have to pony up to get them for a bit. :P

Which brings up the question of why they are there, as Burris is an equipment rental company, not a scrap yard.

Also of note, the property was formerly a Beatty lumber yard, which is why it has a railroad spur.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On Thursday, February 16, 2017 at 11:36 AM, andrethebusman said:

2507-08, 2521-22 sold 12/17/15 to Chicagoland Speedway per CTA.

Is 2423-24 a work car set?

It's  not supposed to be a work car set. Speaking of work cars the low #2400's have been regularly laid up in rosemont yard as of late. Thought those were at midway yard.

• 1 year later...

Somewhat bizarre sighting last night... a 6-car train not in service was headed southbound form Howard Yard. I usually see the 2400 work cars make those southbound runs every weeknight. But the strange thing was 4/6 cars in last night's consist had new LED destination signs that looked like Orange Line "Midway" signs. Against the street lighting, the sides of the cars looked to have the characteristics of the 2400's striping though, and there was a pair of 2400's in the middle of the consist. There's no possibility that they rehabbed any of the 2400 or 2600's designated for work-service, right? Could they have been rehabbed 3200's headed from Skokie to Midway? 

4 minutes ago, ThirdRailVision said:

There's no possibility that they rehabbed any of the 2400 or 2600's designated for work-service, right?

Anything is possible, especially since the work 2400s were not retired.

4 minutes ago, ThirdRailVision said:

Could they have been rehabbed 3200's headed from Skokie to Midway? 

If they were 3200s, they would have had fluted sides.

9 hours ago, Busjack said:

If they were 3200s, they would have had fluted sides.

Right, that's the main thing I was trying to distinguish-- I don't believe I saw any fluted sides! I'll keep my eye out again tonight for them. Hopefully with a camera this time.  

UPDATE: 22:51- 2400-Series consist headed southbound out of Howard. Caught the tail-end of the train-- it had the flatbeds with presumably sewer-cleaning materials on it. No LED lights this time. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/24/2016 at 10:23 PM, BusHunter said:

They just announced on abcnews the throwback #2400's will be running tomorrow for the crosstown series between the cubs and sox on the red line. They claim they will take customers to the cell one day and take them to Wrigley on Wednesday. I'll see if I can fish up a link.

Is there a possibility the 2400s might take a "curtain call" for the b**eball series next weekend?

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
1 hour ago, ajm522 said:

Could of sworn I saw a 6 car 2400 in service on Green Line today to Cottage Grove. Operator kept making announcement at Roosevelt that the train was going to Cottage Grove. Wasn’t able to get numbers. 

Looks like we might have found an explanation for your sighting:

12 minutes ago, Shannon CVPI said:

What's up with a orange line train on the green line got on it today at Ashland it was still saying LOOP but was going to Harlem the train driver like this is a green line train to Harlem 

IMG_20190212_120803474_HDR.jpg

2 hours ago, ajm522 said:

Could of sworn I saw a 6 car 2400 in service on Green Line today to Cottage Grove. Operator kept making announcement at Roosevelt that the train was going to Cottage Grove. Wasn’t able to get numbers. 

I got one of those today at Ashland going towards Harlem first car was 2877 last was 2796 still had loop sign showing train driver was like this is a green line train going to Harlem

5 hours ago, Shannon CVPI said:

Ikr I was like wtf this old train on the green line 

It used to be a time when those 2600's dominated this line in the early 90's lol. Also wouldn't be the 1st time green line ran the oldest cars, when it reopened in 95, 2400's were assigned there until they got the 5000's that replaced them. Me personally it's always good to see the 2600 series on the green line it reminds me of the old times when I was a lil boy in the early 90 riding them downtown ??????. 

5 hours ago, Mr.cta85 said:

It used to be a time when those 2600's dominated this line in the early 90's lol. Also wouldn't be the 1st time green line ran the oldest cars, when it reopened in 95, 2400's were assigned there until they got the 5000's that replaced them. Me personally it's always good to see the 2600 series on the green line it reminds me of the old times when I was a lil boy in the early 90 riding them downtown ??????. 

From a nostalgic point, I agree. I miss the variety in older series consists that the green, pink, and red lines used to see. All-5000's gets boring real quick. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Maybe someone is waking up and smelling the coffee. Orange line is a lighter demanding line on the 2600s. They might be repairing them to the point where they have an excess. What should have been done in the first place (not running 2600s on a 24/7 line exclusively,) is happening. You know on the weekend you barely see 3200s in rosemount yard. Why because they are in high demand. The 2600s are getting the rest they deserve. They are being fixed faster on the blue because they dont have hoards of cars needing repair. Plus they have extra downtime so they dont need to be repaired as much.  Its nuts. It's like having a new car in your garage and taking out the 20 year old car. Of course it will cost you more to run it and you will have the pains of interrupted service. Like I say things are so bad on the blue it has to be losing service. I bet service has came back with the 3200s but it will take a long time to regain the trust of riders left in the lurch. 

6 hours ago, Mr.cta85 said:

I grew up in Oak Park, and I never could think about the Green Line without remembering the 2400s. They were THE Green Line cars, and I’m sure people who live along the Purple Line think the same.

1 hour ago, ThirdRailVision said:

From a nostalgic point, I agree. I miss the variety in older series consists that the green, pink, and red lines used to see. All-5000's gets boring real quick. 

Agreed! That’s why I’m not as enthusiastic about filming trains at Howard Yard as I used to be. I loved editing the two videos I filmed in 2012 because there were 2400s and 2600s everywhere up in that yard. Even though there were no 3200s or 2200s I still thought it was much more exciting than 5000 set after 5000 set.