2400-series - Updates (Retired)

BusHunter

I agree with you BusHunter and wonder the same thing. I think there are between 4-5 possibly 6 of full 8 car trains that are used in the am peak period. I saw this morning a set of 4, couldn't see the numbers, going into their repair shop. I'm not for sure what that part of the yard is called, I wondered why are they going in there? There are sporadic married sets but I couldn't get a read on their numbers, that have a blue 'C' in the front cab window and wheel blocks placing them 'on hold' I'm guessing.

There should be six brownages in the morning. I don't know if it says what times on the schedule, but someone told me from CTA what the times were. I know they all start leaving Midway around 6:00-6;30 and around 7 there are three in a row that come thru the loop. I can post the times but I have to look it up myself. I just hope I don't have the times from the last pick.

There should be six brownages in the morning. I don't know if it says what times on the schedule, but someone told me from CTA what the times were. I know they all start leaving Midway around 6:00-6;30 and around 7 there are three in a row that come thru the loop. I can post the times but I have to look it up myself. I just hope I don't have the times from the last pick.

These are the brownage times I have:

Departing from Midway:

1. run 705 at 6:08 AM

2. run 706 at 6:18 AM

3. run 714 at 6:26 AM

4. run 716 at 6:40 AM

5. run 703 at 6:54 AM

6. run 708 at 7:01 AM

These are the times leaving Kimball

1. run 704 at 7:19 AM

2. run 705 at 7:30 AM

3. run 706 at 7:37 AM

4. run 714 at 7:52 AM

5. run 716 at 8:07 AM

6. run 703 at 8:13 AM

They claim that there is a run 726 that leaves Midway and does whatever when it gets to Kimball. I guess it's like an extra to the brownages service. It was reported to me once this run 726 went to Kimball did a Brown line round trip back to Kimball and then did a thru service to Midway so it basically does sporadic changes once it gets to Kimball. So i guess you could say there's 7 Brownages.

• Upvote 2

These are the brownage times I have:

Departing from Midway:

1. run 705 at 6:08 AM

2. run 706 at 6:18 AM

3. run 714 at 6:26 AM

4. run 716 at 6:40 AM

5. run 703 at 6:54 AM

6. run 708 at 7:01 AM

These are the times leaving Kimball

1. run 704 at 7:19 AM

2. run 705 at 7:30 AM

3. run 706 at 7:37 AM

4. run 714 at 7:52 AM

5. run 716 at 8:07 AM

6. run 703 at 8:13 AM

They claim that there is a run 726 that leaves Midway and does whatever when it gets to Kimball. I guess it's like an extra to the brownages service. It was reported to me once this run 726 went to Kimball did a Brown line round trip back to Kimball and then did a thru service to Midway so it basically does sporadic changes once it gets to Kimball. So i guess you could say there's 7 Brownages.

Yeah, that sounds right. The last one which I'm guessing is the run 726 goes back to Midway as Not in Service. I travel from Midway to Chi/Franklin and can see the last Brownage whistling past my office. Also, I'm so jealous of these riders who get to experience this.

So they are already at IRM? I heard from a CTA rep that IRM did select those cars and they were being stored at Midway then someone said they went to Skokie Shops to be scrapped so I thought maybe they aren't going to IRM. At least this confirmed what happened to them.

• Upvote 2

So they are already at IRM? I heard from a CTA rep that IRM did select those cars and they were being stored at Midway then someone said they went to Skokie Shops to be scrapped so I thought maybe they aren't going to IRM. At least this confirmed what happened to them.

10533750_10202162186355491_6735321379285

This photo was posted on FaceBook Chicago L by Ray Piesciuk, shows that a car is at IRM. Both are there.

• Upvote 3

This morning on the Orange line am peak. I counted 4 full sets of 2400's, 1 set consisted of 6-2400's with a pair of 2600's, the set I was on was a mix of 3200's on the outside and 2400's in the middle.

First time in a while that 2400s on the Orange Line haven't been segregated in consists all on their own let own connected to 3200s on the line.

10533750_10202162186355491_6735321379285

This photo was posted on FaceBook Chicago L by Ray Piesciuk, shows that a car is at IRM. Both are there.

Too bad CTA strip all the color from these cars' exteriors. It would be nice if IRM could restore the exteriors to how they looked before their rehabs to give a more authentic historical feel.

First time in a while that 2400s on the Orange Line haven't been segregated in consists all on their own let own connected to 3200s on the line.

Too bad CTA strip all the color from these cars' exteriors. It would be nice if IRM could restore the exteriors to how they looked before their rehabs to give a more authentic historical feel.

Issue there is that it is no longer paint, but decals. Also one would have to decide whether the use the original scheme, or the one that more aped the one on the 2600s, originally (narrower stripes only on belt rail).

img006.jpg

The original has a lot of paint/ decals? and what about the charcoal/ gray?

yeah but you have to admit it would look sweet if they did do it. They should at least paint the ends. These are from 1976 and red white and blue are the colors of that year. That's a nice rollsign. I wonder if they would be interested in that?

yeah but you have to admit it would look sweet if they did do it. They should at least paint the ends. These are from 1976 and red white and blue are the colors of that year. That's a nice rollsign. I wonder if they would be interested in that?

At the time, that reading was pretty much on all roll signs, including bus.

One car at Skokie (2530 I believe) has been out of service so long it still has the old paint job! Never got rehabbed!

One car at Skokie (2530 I believe) has been out of service so long it still has the old paint job! Never got rehabbed!

Yeah that's #2532. That car was part of a derailment at howard yard in 2000 which resulted in cars i believe toppling over. I believe one of the #2600's were involved also, I have videos of other #2400 cars in 2004 which shows they still have the painted ends, so the timeframe of that was after 2004. As far as rollsigns are concerned going back to the quoted post I hear CTA donates the retired cars rollsigns to IRM so most likely they already have that rollsign but so far it's not on the cars. i got a picture of #2433-34 from a friend who recently visited IRM. It shows they are married pairs again.

post-304-0-54466600-1407562431_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 4

So how many 2400-series are on CTA property now?

Well there was 56 at last check so it should be 52 now. I was told the eight car drag was #2489-90, #2465-66, #2545-46 and #2429-30 and they left #2465-66 and #2545-46 at Skokie Shops. So those 4 are most likely retired barring a miracle now.