2400-series - Updates (Retired)

BusHunter

There was a picture like this somewhere else on the internet, but what is interesting to me is that the livery doesn't include the red white and blue stripes on the side, just the dark around the windows. Reminds me of some of the 2000s.

Perhaps motive testing was done before the decals were applied.

Here's a shot showing eleven 2400s ready to shipment and they have the decal for the stripes. Note most are in elephant lineup.

img063.jpg

• Upvote 2

I guess I'll find out tomorrow if there are any left. This is happening faster than I thought.

There's a bulletin floating around that all #2400's will be gone by the AM rush on Halloween morning, so this is the last week. Get your rides while you can!! After that the only hope is that they have a farewell old friends train most likely with work motors.

• Upvote 1

There's a bulletin floating around that all #2400's will be gone by the AM rush on Halloween morning, so this is the last week. Get your rides while you can!! After that the only hope is that they have a farewell old friends train most likely with work motors.

I actually rode a 3200/2600 mix this am trip to the loop. I only observed 2 full sets of 2400 in service. I saw for sure 1 full set in the yard either track 2 or 3 and a few 2400 pairs spread throughout. So I can definitely believe this bulletin. I almost feel a culture shock riding 3200 into the loop today, down to only 3 series now!

I swear there was a consist yesterday morning that was head car #2400's, middle cars #3200's and rear car #2600's but it passed really fast I could be wrong. Yesterday they had four #2400 cars hooked up in the yard a eight car set and the work motor set hooked up to a flatcar and two sets on the road and possibly this mixed set.

Which 2400's have left Midway tonight? How many and which ones are left, 10 of them?

There still there. I'm out at Midway again and they still have the 30 cars. 3 trains were in service today with 6 cars in the yard. Forgot to mention #2581-82 and #2541-42 are still around.

From a Facebook post(https://www.facebook.com/groups/120452714691417/) today by Lou Gerard:

Farewell 2400's! Hard to believe that October 31 will be the last day of regular service for them.

This shot of 2402-2401 at Sedgwick min August 1976 was taken during their first trip out on the linewith George Krambles at the controls.

I wouldn't retire those cars just yet unless it's enough overall to cover all 8 lines without any shortage problems. But either way I'm going to miss those 2400's they had great seats and stayed in pretty good shape. Im glad we still have the 2600's for now, now when those cars get retired that's the day I'll be sad lol those cars are special to me.

The 2200 ended revenue service on July 31st, 2013. The Farewell Ceremony was August 8th, 2013. The 2400 ended revenue service today (Halloween 2014). If a farewell ceremony does occur it would happen within the next week with an official press release. If It doesn't happen within the next week then Farewell 2400s

There's going to be a farewell celebration if you missed today. (still in the planning stages) The question is on what line it will be on. Someone I talked to claimed they would take some #2400's from Skokie Shops and they wouldn't be work motors. I guess they really don't want anyone on those.

Well I enjoyed the trip, rode both sets of #2400's today. I took a bunch of shots I'll upload them when I have more time like maybe tonight. Mostly people from HQ were in attendance, people who you would usually expect to see like Graham Garfield, Bruce Moffat and supervision and a few others. The #2400's work train was at Midway station as well. Took a few shots of that as it was pulling out. Don't know how long it was there before we showed up. Some more #2600's showed up today as well at Midway yard I'll put those in the "L" rosters thread.

• Upvote 5