2400-series - Updates (Retired)

BusHunter

Thanks, BusHunter!! I just want to let you know about it. It looks like we will see the last of the 2400s, when more 5000s comes in from Skokie.

Not entirely... these cars are unique as they are the first to have sliding doors, so I think they'll have a special charter train to commemorate their almost 40 years of service. Question is what line will they be ran on? History has them on several from beginning to today...

These are the ones I know for sure...

Red Line

Brown Line

Purple Line

Green Line

Will they do a charter on one or all these lines as a final farewell over the course of several days or in one day with switchovers from each line to the next? They would be easy to spot on the Train Tracker... Run #2400.

• 3 weeks later...

Another 12 #2400's, all from the Purple line, have been placed on long term hold effective last thursday 11/21/13. I'm told #2223-24 and #2317-18 have been sent to Skokie from Rosemont as well (still need to verify that) If so that leaves just one set of #2200's in Rosemont yard #2209-10.

Another 12 #2400's, all from the Purple line, have been placed on long term hold effective last thursday 11/21/13. I'm told #2223-24 and #2317-18 have been sent to Skokie from Rosemont as well (still need to verify that) If so that leaves just one set of #2200's in Rosemont yard #2209-10.

The Winter 2013 issue of First & Fastest [iSSN 1046-5677] has a photograph of a snow-fighter work train parked on a track at Skokie Shops besides six generations of rapid transit cars including not only 2313-14 but also 4271-72, with 5321-22 representing the newest cars on the system. The photograph supposedly was taken on Wed., 2 October.

The Winter 2013 issue of First & Fastest [iSSN 1046-5677] has a photograph of a snow-fighter work train parked on a track at Skokie Shops besides six generations of rapid transit cars including not only 2313-14 but also 4271-72, with 5321-22 representing the newest cars on the system. The photograph supposedly was taken on Wed., 2 October.

That was for the APTA Convention.

• 2 weeks later...

Earlier this morning, I spotted 6-car 2400s #2593-94, #2551-52, and ?? on the Green Line heading southbound at 51st Street station. They have "Not In Service" signs on them. I also seen them last week on the middle track at Roosevelt/Wabash station along the Green and Orange Lines.

On Friday 12/20, I saw 6 out of service 2400's heading west on Lake along the Pink/Green line tracks. Not sure where they were going as I haven't seen anything but 5000's on those lines.

I was on the Purple shuttle heading into Howard around 1:45pm today and saw some 2400s [i think] which had been hit HARD with graffiti. :(:angry: They were on the south track and somewhat close to Chicago avenue.

Don't some people have better things to do with their time?

I had ridden the 2400s twice on the Orange Line in the past week and both trains I was on had graffiti throughout the interior of the train cars. The graffiti was slightly faded due to evident cleaning efforts by the CTA, but still very visible unfortunately.

It is a shame to see what others do in vandalism, violence and the like, all at the cost of others.

Yeah I saw the cars. #2844-43 was the one that got hit the worst. #2713-14 also got hit. Ironically this is in the same spot as #2551-52 was a couple weeks or a month ago when it got hit, probably by the same taggers. CTA really needs some cameras in that part of the yard, they could probably catch these guys. I took a picture of the cars. #2844 even has graffiti on the end.

They claimed they caught a tagger at Forest Park, so, I don't see why they wouldn't have any cameras at Howard.

Once the transit police were talking about how many people they have for the whole Forest Park branch. Would you believe it's only two people!! So if they were relying on them they were extremely lucky or the taggers were extremely dumb. (I see by your link it was FPPD that nabbed these guys) I'm surprised there's no Homeland Security money for the installation of cameras. Even some dummy cameras might get the vandalism to stop

Once the transit police were talking about how many people they have for the whole Forest Park branch. Would you believe it's only two people!! So if they were relying on them they were extremely lucky or the taggers were extremely dumb. (I see by your link it was FPPD that nabbed these guys) I'm surprised there's no Homeland Security money for the installation of cameras. Even some dummy cameras might get the vandalism to stop

At first I thought it was the cameras, but doing a search for Michael Kaput indicated that a manager caught him.

But one would think that there would be at least yard crews in the other yards.

I was on the Purple shuttle heading into Howard around 1:45pm today and saw some 2400s [i think] which had been hit HARD with graffiti. :(:angry: They were on the south track and somewhat close to Chicago avenue.

Don't some people have better things to do with their time?

Also, all four of the ad wrapped Red Line Reconstruction cars were hit with graffiti and were sitting in the west yard at Howard.

Those were ok yesterday. The west yard is bad news. They need to strictly put what they want to retire over there.

I saw them yesterday morning. They stood out instantly because all four were coupled together. Then, I saw the graffiti. Howard yard seems to get hit at least once a week or once every other week.

I saw them yesterday morning. They stood out instantly because all four were coupled together. Then, I saw the graffiti. Howard yard seems to get hit at least once a week or once every other week.

Yes they were coupled together in service on the 26th, a day before you spotted them in the yard. Why they put those in the west yard I don't know. I've always seen them in the east yard or in service.

Yes they were coupled together in service on the 26th, a day before you spotted them in the yard. Why they put those in the west yard I don't know. I've always seen them in the east yard or in service.

The ad wrap was removed the next day and someone instantly tagged the side of 5325. It's not much but is noticeable.

• 4 weeks later...

#2471-72 in service 10/77, unit moved from active service to the long-term hold list by 6/5/2013; awaiting scrapping

2471 was involved in an incident in 1982 at Harlem on Congress WB, right under the B&OCT Bridge. Developed a direct short between 3rd rail and truck frame resulting in runaway motor and truck burning up. Car was on a "hospital train" from Jeff Park to Desplaines because of earlier problems. Runaway axle caused large gouge in running rail that resulted in a noticeable "clunk" as every train passed by until rail was replaced in 1990's. (I was motorman on that hospital train and was the one to put out the fire before Oak Park FD even arrived. Desplaines Yard Foreman had to walk the block to the problem site in the rain and he was not happy, demanded to know why I did not bring (burning) train into (wooden) station!)

First time in a long time I rode a 2400-Series car set on the Brown Line. This morning about 7:30a, I caught a eight-car set of 2400's Kimball-bound(car #2423-2424). Other sets I noticed in the consist were #2455-2456, #2411-2412, #2415-2416 and one set passed too fast to identify.