2400-series - Updates (Retired)

BusHunter

Can somebody explain what the difference is between the "work motor" 2400s and the normal service trains? There was a pair of 2400s behind my house the other night near Armitage with a freight car in front of it rocking back and forth. It sounded like it had more conventional air brakes like a truck or a locomotive.

Can somebody explain what the difference is between the "work motor" 2400s and the normal service trains? There was a pair of 2400s behind my house the other night near Armitage with a freight car in front of it rocking back and forth. It sounded like it had more conventional air brakes like a truck or a locomotive.

At a minimum, they have jumpers between the cars and ways to connect to flatcars. Other modifications are explained on the chicago-l.org 2400s page.

Well, they're staying on property rather than being scrapped. :P

Also, since the flat cars most likely use air brakes instead of dynamic brakes, there must be a source of air for them somewhere.

Well, they're staying on property rather than being scrapped. :P

Also, since the flat cars most likely use air brakes instead of dynamic brakes, there must be a source of air for them somewhere.

The flat car has a air compressor. One end uses its electrial connection for power. The RTO would pause in neutral giving time for the brakes to release before moving to power. On the Holiday Train you can hear the brakes release under the Santa car.

• 2 weeks later...

Well this was unexpected. I don't know what that stuff was but one of the guys told me that they came from the lower yard on 63rd not Midway.

Looks like sacks of sand, preparing for the winter I just mentioned.

The material yard has traditionally been at 63rd, because it has a connection with the freight railroad there (along the Skyway). I don't think there is any connection between the Midway yard and the one track freight railroad next to it.

Also interesting that the derrick car was part of the train, apparently to unload it.

The material yard has traditionally been at 63rd, because it has a connection with the freight railroad there (along the Skyway). I don't think there is any connection between the Midway yard and the one track freight railroad next to it.

Also interesting that the derrick car was part of the train, apparently to unload it.

I think they unloaded it in the yard because after I took that shot and talked to them, they quickly departed from the station. You're absolutely right that there's no connection between Midway Yard and the adjacent railroads.

The track connection between Lower 63rd and NS (once NYC) has been impassable for close to 20 years. Not sure if it even still exists after the last round of improvements NS made to the intermodal terminal last year. For years there was a double-stacked row of old containers forming the boundary between CTA and railroad property, they have been replaced by a high fence, and there is no sign of a gate.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The action has started at Midway yard. Thursday night/Friday morning overnight they shipped out 8 #2400's to Skokie Shops for 8 #2600's from Howard Yard. Now last night they did it again, so we have a 16 car transfer so far. There might be another one tonight. Last nights #2400's to go to Skokie were: #2455-56, #2561-62, #2571-72, #2587-88. Right now there should be 32 #2400 cars at midway yard, but tonight that may change. So this might be close to it for the #2400's barring work cars.

• Upvote 2

The action has started at Midway yard. Thursday night/Friday morning overnight they shipped out 8 #2400's to Skokie Shops for 8 #2600's from Howard Yard. Now last night they did it again, so we have a 16 car transfer so far. There might be another one tonight. Last nights #2400's to go to Skokie were: #2455-56, #2561-62, #2571-72, #2587-88. Right now there should be 32 #2400 cars at midway yard, but tonight that may change. So this might be close to it for the #2400's barring work cars.

Wow! That was quick and unexpected, I counted 5 full sets yesterday am peak and by the pm return to Midway I only saw 3 or 4 full sets, I thought they were hidden somewhere in the yard. Now, I take back my mean words about this series especially since I get to ride out to the end, I think I'll actually miss it.

img0642400single.jpg

Ever see a Boeing 2400 CTA car series under catenary. The Philadelphia factory where the cars were produced did not have third rail.

There was a picture like this somewhere else on the internet, but what is interesting to me is that the livery doesn't include the red white and blue stripes on the side, just the dark around the windows. Reminds me of some of the 2000s.

Ok this is what they have left at Midway for #2400's:

#2429-30, #2435-36, #2441-42, #2449-50, #2459-60, #2467-68, #2473-74, #2505 -08, #2511-12, #2515-16, #2519-20, #2537-38, #2543-44, #2547-48, #2555-56. That's 32 cars and there was two I couldn't see so they have 34 really.

New #2600 arrivals at Midway include:

#2883-84, #2887-88, #2917-18, #2935-36 from the Red line. There were some more by the shop I couldn't see (you might be able to see them from the Midway airport pedestrian bridge to the terminals) Maybe I'll go back over there if I'm not that busy.

• Upvote 1