More Rail Moves

BusHunter

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw that same train later in the evening NB at Lawrence shortly after 9:30pm when trying to navigate around the reported Brown Line service disruption reported on in the forum. I'm guessing this has to do with reported 2400s from the Green Line going to the Red, spoken on in the 5000s thread as apparent prep for 5000s going to the Green Line when the 5000s start making their return.

That's the word to remember... When. They are due to return sometime in May, but with the CTA in no big hurry to return them to service, a May return may be in limbo right now.

At least 6 more 2400-series cars have been transferred from the Green Line to the Red Line (2515-2516, 2519-2520, 2521-2522).

This might be because the Red Line lost some of its 2600-series cars to the Blue Line. Which, in turn, resulted in a handful of the Brown Line's 3200-series cars (fleet numbers vary by day) being temporarily assigned to the Green Line due to the resulting car shortages (though it should be noted that the Green Line only uses 3200s when it doesn't have enough operable 2400s available during a given time period). The Blue Line, in turn, then sends off some of its own 2600s to the Brown and Purple Lines to compensate for the car shortage.

And due to the lack of overhead clearances over portions of the Red and Blue Lines, the sixteen 3200s with roof-mounted boards that once held pantographs for the Yellow Line (when that line ran on overhead wire for part of its length) - numbers 3441 to 3456 - cannot be assigned to either of those two lines.

This might be because the Red Line lost some of its 2600-series cars to the Blue Line.

The Blue Line 2600-Series list I have starts with 2953-2954 and the Red Line ends with 2951-2952 currently. No mentions of any other unusual units on the Blue Line lately.

Which, in turn, resulted in a handful of the Brown Line's 3200-series cars (fleet numbers vary by day) being temporarily assigned to the Green Line due to the resulting car shortages (though it should be noted that the Green Line only uses 3200s when it doesn't have enough operable 2400s available during a given time period).

I have seen reports of 3200's on the Green Line off and on, but since they are temporary assignments like you mentioned, no permanent assignments are at the Green Line

The Blue Line, in turn, then sends off some of its own 2600s to the Brown and Purple Lines to compensate for the car shortage.

Now this one is an interesting quote... I ride the Brown Line frequently, and the only 2600 unit I see is 3458(ex-3032). The Brownage might compensate for shortages at Kimball Yard. I can't really speak for the Purple Line, however...

And due to the lack of overhead clearances over portions of the Red and Blue Lines, the sixteen 3200s with roof-mounted boards that once held pantographs for the Yellow Line (when that line ran on overhead wire for part of its length) - numbers 3441 to 3456 - cannot be assigned to either of those two lines.

Now if the CTA wanted to take the time, I'm sure those roof boards can be removed from 3441-3456. They just don't want to put the units out of service while they do so.

With in this past week I've noticed at least two different 8 car sets of 2600's on the Brown Line (both of which I know are from the Red Line) and just yesterday I saw a few 2400's on the Red Line coupled with their current 2600's. Looks to me like both the Pink and Green Line's are making way for the return of the 5000's.

With in this past week I've noticed at least two different 8 car sets of 2600's on the Brown Line (both of which I know are from the Red Line) and just yesterday I saw a few 2400's on the Red Line coupled with their current 2600's. Looks to me like both the Pink and Green Line's are making way for the return of the 5000's.

Is the 2600s that are on Brown Line pushing some 3200s to Orange Line for starting of early 3200s Rehabilitation? And what line would be next to get 5000s after Green Line?

The Brown Line 2600's is still a Red Line equipment because of this new timetable for the Brown Line start on April 23 this two 2600's Red Line equipment become "Ravenston" that first stop at Belmont southbound at 6:41am and 6:57am using Red Line equipment and Purple Line run 509 and 511 because I saw on Train Tracker and wait for a train yesterday.

The Brown Line 2600's is still a Red Line equipment because of this new timetable for the Brown Line start on April 23 this two 2600's Red Line equipment become "Ravenston" that first stop at Belmont southbound at 6:41am and 6:57am using Red Line equipment and Purple Line run 509 and 511 because I saw on Train Tracker and wait for a train yesterday.

Yes. During rush hours the Howard Yard now sends out a few "Ravenston" runs using Purple Line run numbers and whichever equipment that's still in the yard. And on most weekends starting now until the fall all Brown Line runs become "Brownage" runs since trains will operate as one route between Kimball and Midway Airport. As a result, this could mean that the Green Line may begin running 3200s more on weekends since the combined Brown/Orange Line service does not need all 258 cars.

Yes. During rush hours the Howard Yard now sends out a few "Ravenston" runs using Purple Line run numbers and whichever equipment that's still in the yard.

So the "Ravenston" still exists then, huh? That means that early A.M Brown Line riders between 5a-8:30a have a chance of seeing 2400's and 2600's on the Brown Line on a run or two downtown and back to Kimball maybe once.

Yes, the Red Line has lost 2863-2864 and 2867-2868 to the Blue Line from what I have spotted so far.

I was on Blue Line last night and have seen 2863-64 on the line but at Clark/ Lake Stop while they were working on the Southbound Track, I spotted 2891-92 sharing with 2405-06 (If correct) are they work cars? How long has it been since 2891-92 left Red Line? Because they still have Red Line Maps. I wonder also did 2405-06 were been lost from Green Line for a long time.

I was on Blue Line last night and have seen 2863-64 on the line but at Clark/ Lake Stop while they were working on the Southbound Track, I spotted 2891-92 sharing with 2405-06 (If correct) are they work cars? How long has it been since 2891-92 left Red Line? Because they still have Red Line Maps. I wonder also did 2405-06 were been lost from Green Line for a long time.

2405-06 have been work cars for a long time, so could be anywhere. The suspicious thing is that they were coupled to something else.

From what you could tell, were the 4 cars in ordinary passenger service?

Units 2891-2892, 2893-2894, 2895-2896 & 2897-2898 have been work units since probably their mid-life overhauls at Alstom. They will most likely replace the 2400-series work units in the worst shape. Then if any 3200-series units are work units, they'll finish retiring the rest of the 2400-series work units. I think there are a few 3200's that are work units. Which ones I'll have to check later, but there are a few pairs I think.

2405-06 have been work cars for a long time, so could be anywhere. The suspicious thing is that they were coupled to something else.

From what you could tell, were the 4 cars in ordinary passenger service?

I don't see any work equipment inside or outside of them. I did see them was moving from Washington Stop to Clark / Lake on the Southbound side while I was waiting about 15 minutes for Northbound Blue Line then 2 of the 8-cars Northbound showed up bunching at same time. But would there be some 2200s become work units soon?

I don't see any work equipment inside or outside of them. I did see them was moving from Washington Stop to Clark / Lake on the Southbound side while I was waiting about 15 minutes for Northbound Blue Line then 2 of the 8-cars Northbound showed up bunching at same time. But would there be some 2200s become work units soon?

Unless there would have been a flatcar in the middle, they wouldn't look any different. In fact the more relevant question would if if they had any passengers in them.

However, from what sw says, all 4 were in work service.

I think there are a few 3200's that are work units. Which ones I'll have to check later, but there are a few pairs I think.

The first two pairs of the roof board (formerly pantograph) equipped 3200s, 3441-3442 and 3443-3444 are work-capable units. This is in addition to the 2600s you mentioned and the striped 2400s.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Saw roughly 7 pairs of 2400s in the evening Red Line rush period, along with 3105-3106 mixed in the usual 2600s in service. Looks like it got moved from the Pink Line.

Well it seems with the latest schedule adjustments, they don't need as many cars for the Green Line. Once upon a time, peak Green Line service ran every 7 1/2 minutes, or maximum 96 cars in service and about 24 spare cars for a total assignment of 120 cars. Then it went to 8 minute intervals, which eliminates 12 cars. Now peak service is 9 minutes in the p.m. and 8 to 9 minutes in the a.m.. At 9 minute intervals, you lose another 12 cars in service ( 6 in each direction). Now you have 72 cars in peak service. If you keep 24 spares, you now only need 96 cars assigned to that line.