CTA Bus Garage Rosters

sw4400

You don't know that despite Forest Glen being all Nova now. It's just as likely that 74th or maybe Chicago is where they'll debut first.

It's going to be these three... the scale is tipping closer to the 100% likelihood. I predict Forest Glen first because they have 12+ year old buses only. Chicago and 74th have New Flyers as well as Novas, so they have a bit of age spread. I would look for CTA to do that first to give Forest Glen a spread of old and new equipment. I don't see New Flyers returning there with the 7900's due in about a month. I'm sure whoever assigns rolling stock at CTA HQ has the garage assignments for them on his/her files now.

Forest Glen is a tough garage unlike 77th. They've worked with aged Flyer D901A's and M.A.N Americanas while other garages got newer stock in the late '90's early 2000's(aside from North Park, all the buses from the early to mid-1980's ended their service lives at the Glen, being replaced by then new Nova LFS buses). 77th can't be bothered to operate the 6400-Series Novas they had because of powertrain HP. Yeah, there a little slower than the Cummins ISM and ISL's that the New Flyers have. Cummins ISC puts out between 240 and 315 HP, while the ISM puts out 280 to 410 HP and the ISL puts out 280 to 330 HP.

I never understood as far as 40fters are concerned but why are the Novas only assigned to certain garages how come they can't put them in all garages like the NFers?? Now I understand it's way more new flyers than Novas but even with the current Novas and new ones to come why can't they be in all garages that way the operators (me included) will know how to operate all cta buses. The whole reason why I wanted to go to 74th was because of the Novas cause they don't have them at 103rd but I ended up staying cause I got a really great pick and I'm back on my beloved 28 but that's something always wanted to know. I also understand that some garages can't hold 60ft artic buses but my question is based on the 40fters. My personal goal is to drive every bus in cta's current fleet lol obviously I got the artics checked off as well as the 1000 series even though I haven't drove the 8 or 900 series they're the same as the 1000's so I checked those off too I hated the Optima's but as least I can say I had the opprotunity to drive them. The only one left is the nova hopefully 103rd will have a few borrowed ones from another garage like last yr and I'll have a chance but back to my question lol whoever can answer that please do.

I never understood as far as 40fters are concerned but why are the Novas only assigned to certain garages how come they can't put them in all garages like the NFers?? Now I understand it's way more new flyers than Novas but even with the current Novas and new ones to come why can't they be in all garages that way the operators (me included) will know how to operate all cta buses. The whole reason why I wanted to go to 74th was because of the Novas cause they don't have them at 103rd but I ended up staying cause I got a really great pick and I'm back on my beloved 28 but that's something always wanted to know. I also understand that some garages can't hold 60ft artic buses but my question is based on the 40fters. My personal goal is to drive every bus in cta's current fleet lol obviously I got the artics checked off as well as the 1000 series even though I haven't drove the 8 or 900 series they're the same as the 1000's so I checked those off too I hated the Optima's but as least I can say I had the opprotunity to drive them. The only one left is the nova hopefully 103rd will have a few borrowed ones from another garage like last yr and I'll have a chance but back to my question lol whoever can answer that please do.

The only possible explanation is that there is some saving in keeping maintenance at a garage limited to one or two series. The only thing officially said was when Huberman took over, the 1000s were taken out of Archer and it became all Nova, and he had a President's Report (Nov. 2007) about having customized parts kits speed up maintenance.

But:

• You work there, I don't.
  • Andre, who apparently works with you posted today that 77th somehow had the power or influence to get rid of its Novas.

Of course, we have the situation that other than the last of the 6000s, 74th basically did not get new buses. We have to see if the mayoral dog and pony show there indicates a change.

It's going to be these three... the scale is tipping closer to the 100% likelihood. I predict Forest Glen first because they have 12+ year old buses only. Chicago and 74th have New Flyers as well as Novas, so they have a bit of age spread. I would look for CTA to do that first to give Forest Glen a spread of old and new equipment. I don't see New Flyers returning there with the 7900's due in about a month. I'm sure whoever assigns rolling stock at CTA HQ has the garage assignments for them on his/her files now.

Forest Glen is a tough garage unlike 77th. They've worked with aged Flyer D901A's and M.A.N Americanas while other garages got newer stock in the late '90's early 2000's(aside from North Park, all the buses from the early to mid-1980's ended their service lives at the Glen, being replaced by then new Nova LFS buses). 77th can't be bothered to operate the 6400-Series Novas they had because of powertrain HP. Yeah, there a little slower than the Cummins ISM and ISL's that the New Flyers have. Cummins ISC puts out between 240 and 315 HP, while the ISM puts out 280 to 410 HP and the ISL puts out 280 to 330 HP.

And again, you cannot say with certainty that Forest Glen is going to be first. All anyone can really say is that CTA is likely to pick Chicago, Forest Glen and 74th as 7900 garages unless they decide to do something weird and out the ordinary as Andre is now contending is going to be likely. Now Andre turned out to be right that the 94 having its layover at 74th garage, but I can't go along with his post about his supposition about the Novas' move from 77th and how they be replaced based on his further contention regarding the artics assigned there and the reasoning behind how they're deployed. I'm sorry but I find it hard to believe that a 2012 model bus is slower than a model whose oldest units were built and delivered in 2006 especially when I've been aboard that particular model artic as well as its hybrid counterpart and found both to be about as fast as the rehabbed and best of the unrehabbed 1000s. About the only thing I can agree with Andre about is that the 6400s have become slow with them being toward the end of their CTA service life.

And again, you cannot say with certainty that Forest Glen is going to be first. All anyone can really say is that CTA is likely to pick Chicago, Forest Glen and 74th as 7900 garages...

True, jajaun. The three garages mentioned(Forest Glen, 74th & Chicago) have the highest probably of landing the 7900's. I chose Forest Glen first based on age of rolling stock. They might have basically 6709-6883(minus 6876-6883 which I think will migrate over at some point), but still the Novas as a whole are 12-14 years old. Without an age spread like Chicago and 74th have(with New Flyer D40LF's assigned), it would be the logical choice for CTA to give the first batch to FG so the 6400-Series Novas can get some down time rather than run constantly on heavy routes like #56, #80, #77, #152 and #76 to name a few. The only other option is give to either 74th or Chicago first and deadhead New Flyers for FG, which would be adding mileage needlessly on rolling stock. And seeing 77th's "grab & go" method as of late, all those New Flyers would be transferred 74th or C to FG and FG to 77th.

I saw some 4000s and maybe a couple of 1000s at Forest Glen today. Also, I didn't know a few of the non-hybrid 4300s were at North Park (I rode #4335 on Route 146 this morning).

I wonder what that's all about, that makes no sense. Unless they want to store artics there for the blue line shuttle. They need to find a way to stop sending 77th buses to the shuttle anyway. That's a long deadhead. They could always do a little trade between the #4000's at kedzie and the #4300's at 77th to make it more balanced seeing Kedzie just lost about half of there #4300's lately.

I wonder what that's all about, that makes no sense. Unless they want to store artics there for the blue line shuttle. They need to find a way to stop sending 77th buses to the shuttle anyway. That's a long deadhead. They could always do a little trade between the #4000's at kedzie and the #4300's at 77th to make it more balanced seeing Kedzie just lost about half of there #4300's lately.

That was my first thought too that they're parked at Forest Glen because of the Blue Line Shuttles. But then I got to thinking that the only shuttle work that Forest Glen was closer to was the shuttle going into O'Hare station which ended yesterday. That's why I made the comment of those buses returning to North Park because North Park is closer to the weekend work zone between Western and Damen O'Hare branch stations.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the garages that have Novas (6400s) are:

• Forest Glen
  • North Park
  • Chicago
  • 74th
  • 77th

Would any of these garages have the 7900s when they enter service?

The only garages that have Novas now are:

• Forest Glen- all 6400-Series Novas
  • 74th- 237 6400-Series Novas
  • Chicago- 77 6400-Series Novas

North Park had some Novas briefly awhile back(if you want specifics... 6692-6708). 77th couldn't be bothered with the Novas anymore, they took all the New Flyers from Forest Glen and took some from 74th as well, trading them their stock of 6400's.

These three are the top candidates for the 7900's, either as an even split of 100/garage, or some uneven amount TBD. My guess is Forest Glen will get them first as they have a full roster of 6400's, whereas 74th and Chicago have a partial roster of 6400's and 1000's, so the age spread at those garages isn't as old.

The only garages that have Novas now are:

• Forest Glen- all 6400-Series Novas
  • 74th- 237 6400-Series Novas
  • Chicago- 77 6400-Series Novas

North Park had some Novas briefly awhile back(if you want specifics... 6692-6708). 77th couldn't be bothered with the Novas anymore, they took all the New Flyers from Forest Glen and took some from 74th as well, trading them their stock of 6400's.

These three are the top candidates for the 7900's, either as an even split of 100/garage, or some uneven amount TBD. My guess is Forest Glen will get them first as they have a full roster of 6400's, whereas 74th and Chicago have a partial roster of 6400's and 1000's, so the age spread at those garages isn't as old.

Slight correction and clarification, 77th also took New Flyer D40LFs from Chicago as it did Forest Glen and 74th. (Out of town members may not always catch that we're talking about only the 40 foot buses when we slip into saying simply New Flyers. :D ) That TripleTransit1 is how 77th managed to get its 40 foot bus roster comprised solely of New Flyers. That changeover happened through weekend trades between mid-February to mid-March in 10 to 20 bus waves of Novas leaving 77th for a like amount of D40LFs from the three mentioned garages. Forest Glen was the first to get hit in this trade, followed by 74th and then Chicago until all of the Novas were out of 77th. That did result in Forest Glen becoming all Nova while 74th and Chicago only saw increases in their Nova counts.

Slight correction and clarification, 77th also took New Flyer D40LFs from Chicago as it did Forest Glen and 74th. (Out of town members may not always catch that we're talking about only the 40 foot buses when we slip into saying simply New Flyers. :D ) That TripleTransit1 is how 77th managed to get its 40 foot bus roster comprised solely of New Flyers. That changeover happened through weekend trades between mid-February to mid-March in 10 to 20 bus waves of Novas leaving 77th for a like amount of D40LFs from the three mentioned garages. Forest Glen was the first to get hit in this trade, followed by 74th and then Chicago until all of the Novas were out of 77th. That did result in Forest Glen becoming all Nova while 74th and Chicago only saw increases in their Nova counts.

So THAT'S why all the 1000s disappeared from Forest Glen! The last 1000-series bus I rode on was #12XX (I don't remember the exact bus #) on the Lawrence route back in December. The last one I saw but did not ride on was #1094 (now rehabbed) on the Austin route at the Jefferson Park Transit Center back in early February.

So THAT'S why all the 1000s disappeared from Forest Glen! The last 1000-series bus I rode on was #12XX (I don't remember the exact bus #) on the Lawrence route back in December. The last one I saw but did not ride on was #1094 (now rehabbed) on the Austin route at the Jefferson Park Transit Center back in early February.

Yeah that's it. They're now at 77th along with some former Chicago and 74th Garage 1000s. They started leaving Forest Glen maybe one or two weekends after the last time you saw one on any of those routes depending on when in early February you were here to see 1094 on the 91 Austin.

Remember what I said about seeing 4000s @ Forest Glen? Turns out I was wrong. That was North Park I saw them at, not Forest Glen. I had the locations of the garages mixed up. :(

Sorry for the mix-up.

Easy mistake to make if you live out of town since both are on the far north end of the city. You just gotta remember Forest Glen is northwest. :)

I caught the penultimate southbound route #54 Cicero bus (24:55) on Sunday night @ Pensacola terminus. Since I was the only passenger on the bus, when the operator walked through it to check for trash | debris | etc..., I asked him if Chicago garage was going to get any of "the new Novas" in a month or so. He thought about it for a few seconds (not too few, not too many) and replied that he thought so because they had been instructed and briefed on them.

Of course, this is still just speculation, so YMMV. But I am inclined to agree with him.