CTA Bus Garage Rosters

sw4400

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I guess this thread is the right one to ask concerning the number of buses at each garage. But what I wanted to know is how is it that 103rd has the most routes out of all the garages but the least amount of buses?? I'm guessing the other 6 garages have more frequent services in their respected routes they have? I've learned a lot since I been an operator and from you guys as well but of course I don't know it all but you guys have given great information over the years I been on this site dating back to 2009 lol. If you can please explain or help me out lol.

I guess this thread is the right one to ask concerning the number of buses at each garage. But what I wanted to know is how is it that 103rd has the most routes out of all the garages but the least amount of buses?? I'm guessing the other 6 garages have more frequent services in their respected routes they have? I've learned a lot since I been an operator and from you guys as well but of course I don't know it all but you guys have given great information over the years I been on this site dating back to 2009 lol. If you can please explain or help me out lol.

The first part is by following the Notable Forum Resources at the bottom of the home page.

The latter part would seem to be that 103 has a mix of heavy routes (6, J14, 29) and a bunch of light feeders (mostly out of the 95th Ryan station), while pretty much all routes out of 77th are heavy. Thus, the number of routes doesn't mean much. Maybe looking at the Ridership Reports might shed some light.

However, 239 isn't that light, in that 72 are artics, and as far as storage space is concerned, the 72 add up to 108. The question always has been with regard to Kedzie where it has the space to store its artics (by the formula I used above counting artics as 1-1/2, it would need room for 338 buses).

• Upvote 1

The first part is by following the Notable Forum Resources at the bottom of the home page.

The latter part would seem to be that 103 has a mix of heavy routes (6, J14, 29) and a bunch of light feeders (mostly out of the 95th Ryan station), while pretty much all routes out of 77th are heavy. Thus, the number of routes doesn't mean much. Maybe looking at the Ridership Reports might shed some light.

However, 239 isn't that light, in that 72 are artics, and as far as storage space is concerned, the 72 add up to 108. The question always has been with regard to Kedzie where it has the space to store its artics (by the formula I used above counting artics as 1-1/2, it would need room for 338 buses).

Just think of how many buses it takes to run the 34, 111, 112, 115, 119, etc.Then think of how many buses it takes to run the 49 (or the 9).Lots of short routes can easily take less resources than a single long route.

Wow you both gave me a great point of view. I've learned something tonight.

To be fair, the 34 needs more buses, but excellent example!

Heck, it needed twice as much, until it was split into 34 and 119. :rolleyes: Which, if nothing else, proves that the number of routes doesn't equal the need for equipment. By the same token, 111 needs about half of what it had until it was split with 115. On the other hand, 146 needed maybe 70% more when 145 was abolished and the Grace trips combined with 146.

• Upvote 3

• Kevin featured this topic

Heck, it needed twice as much, until it was split into 34 and 119. :rolleyes: Which, if nothing else, proves that the number of routes doesn't equal the need for equipment. By the same token, 111 needs about half of what it had until it was split with 115. On the other hand, 146 needed maybe 70% more when 145 was abolished and the Grace trips combined with 146.

​I believe the two routes still interline with a lot of their buses.  A lot of NB 34s become SB 119s and vice versa.  Similar to the 111 and the 115 routes, except those two routes interline on the south end and the 34/119 interline at 95th.

Edited by artthouwill
  • Upvote 1

I had no idea that the 34 and 119 were split into two separate lines. When did this happen? And is this the 104 you guys were referring to??

​Before the Dan Ryan L was built, the State route (then 36A) went to 119th/Morgan, and 34 was essentially just a stub to 138th/Leyden (former Riverdale streetcar route). When the 95th feeder system was created in 1969, 34 became both 119th/Morgan and 138th/Leyden.

I didn't recall the dates of later moves, but Chicago Transit and Railfan indicates under 34:

8/15/81 - CTA introduces some service to Altgeld Gardens
9/8/85 - route restructured with Altgeld Gardens as only south terminal

The 119th St. service meanwhile is now designated the 119 route.

And under 119

9/8/85 - 119th St. service redesignated as route 119 Michigan-119th

104 was strictly the Pullman route, only on Cottage Grove from 95th station to 115th. It was interlined with 111 on 6/26/88 according to that source.

​Before the Dan Ryan L was built, the State route (then 36A) went to 119th/Morgan, and 34 was essentially just a stub to 138th/Leyden (former Riverdale streetcar route). When the 95th feeder system was created in 1969, 34 became both 119th/Morgan and 138th/Leyden.

I didn't recall the dates of later moves, but Chicago Transit and Railfan indicates under 34:

8/15/81 - CTA introduces some service to Altgeld Gardens
9/8/85 - route restructured with Altgeld Gardens as only south terminal

The 119th St. service meanwhile is now designated the 119 route.

And under 119

9/8/85 - 119th St. service redesignated as route 119 Michigan-119th

104 was strictly the Pullman route, only on Cottage Grove from 95th station to 115th. It was interlined with 111 on 6/26/88 according to that source.

​On the 104 and clear up the picture more from Chicago Railfan, it also used to be a branch of the 34 from memory of older CTA maps. After separation some point in the early or mid 1980s, it was designated 104 Pullman and later 104 Pullman/Altgeld and ran 24 hours between 95th station and 115th/Cottage Grove, looping from Cottage Grove to 115th, St. Lawrence, 111th back to Cottage. It had rush hour service to Altgeld Gardens via 115th, Calumet Expressway (what's now the Bishop Ford Freeway) and 130th to Altgeld Gardens. The expressway trips also were a part of 34 before the split. The interline reference I think refers to 104's off peak services being folded into 111 and giving 111 that prior structure that was split into the current 111 and 115 by De-Crowd. Only the rush hour service to Altgeld remained of 104 up until it got axed in the Booz-Allen cuts of the later part of the 1990s. By the way, the final form of owl service on 111 was between 95th station and 115th mirroring off peak routing of the old 104 exactly. 

​On the 104 and clear up the picture more from Chicago Railfan, it also used to be a branch of the 34 from memory of older CTA maps. After separation some point in the early or mid 1980s, it was designated 104 Pullman and later 104 Pullman/Altgeld and ran 24 hours between 95th station and 115th/Cottage Grove, looping from Cottage Grove to 115th, St. Lawrence, 111th back to Cottage. It had rush hour service to Altgeld Gardens via 115th, Calumet Expressway (what's now the Bishop Ford Freeway) and 130th to Altgeld Gardens. The expressway trips also were a part of 34 before the split. The interline reference I think refers to 104's off peak services being folded into 111 and giving 111 that prior structure that was split into the current 111 and 115 by De-Crowd. Only the rush hour service to Altgeld remained of 104 up until it got axed in the Booz-Allen cuts of the later part of the 1990s. By the way, the final form of owl service on 111 was between 95th station and 115th mirroring off peak routing of the old 104 exactly. 

​Somehow you got  confused. 4 Cottage Grove used to go from the (now) Chicago Cultural Center  to 115th. When the Dan Ryan line opened, it was cut to 94th and Cottage and 104 took over from the 95th station to Cottage and 115th.

I did mention (in the 127th topic) there was a 104 express to Altgeld Gardens as an extension from 115th via the Calumet (Bishop Ford) Expressway.

As I noted above, 34 took over 36A State south of 95th, but much later that branch of 34 became 119.

​Somehow you got  confused. 4 Cottage Grove used to go from the (now) Chicago Cultural Center  to 115th. When the Dan Ryan line opened, it was cut to 94th and Cottage and 104 took over from the 95th station to Cottage and 115th.

I did mention (in the 127th topic) there was a 104 express to Altgeld Gardens as an extension from 115th via the Calumet (Bishop Ford) Expressway.

As I noted above, 34 took over 36A State south of 95th, but much later that branch of 34 became 119.

I probably did. CTA's numbering scheme was a convoluted mess in a lot of ways 40 plus years ago. ​I just have a memory of looking at a map after the 36A business and seeing 34 with more branches than what's currently 119 aend the leg to the Algeld, and those branches covering what's now part of 115 north of 115th but used to be the former 104 on its local section. At any rate, the rest still fleshes a bit more what 104 was in response to MrCTA85's question. 

Daily Herald pointed out that RTAMs was updated. The bus rolling stock list is here, and you can click through for garage assignments.

Sure don't know why most of the illustrations are of old buses, so Garmon and Juniorz are sure ahead of the curve with regard to the chicagobus.org gallery.

Daily Herald pointed out that RTAMs was updated. The bus rolling stock list is here, and you can click through for garage assignments.

Sure don't know why most of the illustrations are of old buses, so Garmon and Juniorz are sure ahead of the curve with regard to the chicagobus.org gallery.

​Based on their numbers 83 6400s are retired and only one 800 is gone. Some of those numbers are apparently already out of date though because they account for only 173 7900s while from Bushunter and Garmon's reporting with picture evidence 7900-8099 are all here so far. 

One other error i found was they still have Archer Garage listed as a CTA facility with a list of routes assigned. Hard to run routes with no buses for 5 years now, especially when the garage building itself was finally demolished last year. xD

One other error i found was they still have Archer Garage listed as a CTA facility with a list of routes assigned. Hard to run routes with no buses for 5 years now, especially when the garage building itself was finally demolished last year. xD

​That wasn't dated, while the bus and rail vehicle assignment tables were (gray source at the bottom of those pages).

​That wasn't dated, while the bus and rail vehicle assignment tables were (gray source at the bottom of those pages).

​That may be, but my point was they shouldn't list it at all and have 35, 62, 94 and others under their correct and current assignments. If they can account for CTA having 4300s and 7900s, how hard is it in updating Archer is no more?

​That may be, but my point was they shouldn't list it at all and have 35, 62, 94 and others under their correct and current assignments. If they can account for CTA having 4300s and 7900s, how hard is it in updating Archer is no more?

​Undoubtedly depends on what info CTA gave RTA.