CTA Bus Garage Rosters

sw4400

1 hour ago, CTA5750 said:

Saw a 4000 artic on the 56 Milwaukee yesterday at Division.  Whats the story on that??? 

52 minutes ago, Master58 said:

That was a north park run 

People have posted here and here that that's a school trip for Schurz. Rahm has the kiddies in school until June 20.

3 hours ago, CTA5750 said:

Saw a 4000 artic on the 56 Milwaukee yesterday at Division.  Whats the story on that??? 

Quite possible a school run assigned to North Park garage. North Park has a number of school day runs operated primarily with artics for a few of the high schools located near Milwaukee Avenue that head into downtown before presumably becoming a run on usual North Park artic route. It's similar to North Park doing school runs for North Side Prep that terminate at Congress before deadheading on the Ike into downtown to become a 135, 136 or other North Park assigned express run. 

On 6/14/2017 at 2:55 PM, CTA5750 said:

I did spot an Diesel 4300 on the 56 around early PM Rush few months ago on Washington & Canal while sitting on J14 layover.  I believe that North Park is does Couple PM Trips on that route as I was told.  

Also I was wondering of why last month that I did spot an 4000 on the 62-Archer @ Ashland northbound after I got off Orange Line on other early PM Rush because Kedzie is doing School Trips on that route. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This may seem odd, but has to be asked. I was waiting for the next wb 152 due at 3:35p today, and the tracker shows 1022 and 1379 as the next ones. However, I see 1022 pass Lincoln eb at 3:25p, so he shouldn't be coming back wb in 9 minutes. Well, the next bus that comes wb is 1022!!! Is it possible CTA has two 1022's, as silly as that sounds? It would take a lot longer for 1022 to get to lake shore and return wb than 9 minutes at Lincoln ave. I know there isn't a turnaround point east near Lincoln.

25 minutes ago, sw4400 said:

This may seem odd, but has to be asked. I was waiting for the next wb 152 due at 3:35p today, and the tracker shows 1022 and 1379 as the next ones. However, I see 1022 pass Lincoln eb at 3:25p, so he shouldn't be coming back wb in 9 minutes. Well, the next bus that comes wb is 1022!!! Is it possible CTA has two 1022's, as silly as that sounds? It would take a lot longer for 1022 to get to lake shore and return wb than 9 minutes at Lincoln ave. I know there isn't a turnaround point east near Lincoln.

Are you sure it wasn't a planned short turn, perhaps due to the Cubs game?

12 hours ago, Pace831 said:

Are you sure it wasn't a planned short turn, perhaps due to the Cubs game?

I thought of that, but I was waiting at the Lincoln/Ravenswood stop. The bus just passed EB at Lincoln and continued EB. Where could it have turned around in around 9 minutes time? There are no turnarounds, and the bus still had passengers.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/2/2017 at 4:34 AM, sw4400 said:

I thought of that, but I was waiting at the Lincoln/Ravenswood stop. The bus just passed EB at Lincoln and continued EB. Where could it have turned around in around 9 minutes time? There are no turnarounds, and the bus still had passengers.

The bus could have short turned at Ashland, Southport, or Racine. Those are the next streets after Lincoln large enough to accommodate a standard size bus if Roscoe were also used for example since if I'm not mistaken it also is wide enough in that area to handle buses without too much problem.

1 hour ago, jajuan said:

if Roscoe were also used for example since if I'm not mistaken it also is wide enough in that area to handle buses without too much problem.

The 98 bus used to run on Roscoe a long time ago (substitute for the Riverview streetcar).

1 hour ago, Busjack said:

The 98 bus used to run on Roscoe a long time ago (substitute for the Riverview streetcar).

Thanks I forgot about the old 98 bus on Roscoe from a long time ago. It helps make my point about that 152 SW mentioned could have performed a short turn at maybe Ashland or Southport and used Roscoe to help get back in the WB direction. in the approximate nine minutes he said BusTracker was showing that it should have been the next bus to arrive at his stop.

Roscoe is wide between Western and Ravenswood. East of there is just a standard residential street width. Back in the 1960's running the 98 on this narrow a street between Ravenswood and Lincoln was not seen as a big problem - CTA used to run on many narrow streets back then. Now? Not likely. Addison short would go up to Irving Park to loop.

• 1 month later...
On 12/3/2017 at 5:43 PM, Anthony Devera said:

Just wondering, are the old Optima Opus buses still at any garage, or have they already been scrapped?

On 12/3/2017 at 8:49 PM, BusGuy248 said:

No they are all still in the boneyard at 77th street.

Yeah they're at the South Shops boneyard, and have not been in revenue service for a few years now. So clarifying the answer to your questions, they haven't been scrapped, but being all retired they're not officially assigned to any garage.outside of sitting in the boneyard. Also a few of them have been reported sold to other TAs nearby that had a need for smaller buses. Kankakee's transit system RIver Valley has a few and they can sometimes be seen in the Chicago area operating on its commuter route between Midway Orange line and Manteno and Bourbonnais Metro Centers and its route between University Park and Manteno and  Bourbonnais. 

3 hours ago, jajuan said:

Kankakee's transit system RIver Valley has a few and they can sometimes be seen in the Chicago area operating on its commuter route between Midway Orange line and Manteno and Bourbonnais Metro Centers and its route between University Park and Manteno and  Bourbonnais.

Have you seen Optimas on the commuter routes? That would be unusual, as they typically use cutaways on those routes. The Optimas used to run mostly on the #6, #9, and #11, but that may not be true anymore since the summer service changes.

6 minutes ago, Pace831 said:

Have you seen Optimas on the commuter routes? That would be unusual, as they typically use cutaways on those routes. The Optimas used to run mostly on the #6, #9, and #11, but that may not be true anymore since the summer service changes.

I thought someone mentioned a rare sighting on the commuter routes a little while ago about the time of the state budget stalemate and service on a couple of local routes went under a temporary cancellation.

• 3 weeks later...
18 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

Either 1228 or 1229 will be out of service for a while after that car accident last night.

You're being a bit terse. If you were referring to the crash at 74th and Halsted, the video of the bus taking out a fire hydrant was impressive (ABC7).

3 hours ago, Busjack said:

You're being a bit terse. If you were referring to the crash at 74th and Halsted, the video of the bus taking out a fire hydrant was impressive (ABC7).

Yeah the fire hydrant looked like a toy. My thoughts were after that what stops the bus? But it must have been a tree. If it just has windshield damage it might get fixed soon. If the lift was damaged it will be much longer up to two years. It will be a question of whether it's worth fixing. It is a base order 1000