CTA Bus Garage Rosters

sw4400

Seemingly due to space restraints, it may prove difficult to assign artics to FG. You can rest assured that FG will get the new Novas, and if history is any indication, they will get the most and the last set of them.

As previously noted, the construction report pictures of lift replacements at FG indicated that the arrangement of lifts did not change, so it is pretty unlikely that FG will get artics, just for that reason alone.

Hmm. I think FG has usually been on the better end of the new bus deal. Granted it got some hand me down NFs, but before the Optimas it got the last bunch of Novas. FG also received NEW 5300s, then got them swapped a few years later with 6000s (though not brand new, were newer than what they gave up). And of course, let's not forget everyone's (except me) favorite 9800 and 1600 series Flyers. Seemingly due to space restraints, it may prove difficult to assign artics to FG. You can rest assured that FG will get the new Novas, and if history is any indication, they will get the most and the last set of them.

I don't think fg will get anything unless they do go after the 150 extra smart LFS'. They will simply get the #6800 hand me downs of 77th, as those will be what's left. Most of the LFS' smart buses will most likely be based out of 74th or 77th. I'm kind of interested what is going to happen with 74th anyway considering that will most likely be the garage of the Ashland BRT. They might be pursueing artics for them if we get the 50 artics that was talked about in the budget for this year.

I don't think fg will get anything unless they do go after the 150 extra smart LFS'. They will simply get the #6800 hand me downs of 77th, as those will be what's left. Most of the LFS' smart buses will most likely be based out of 74th or 77th. I'm kind of interested what is going to happen with 74th anyway considering that will most likely be the garage of the Ashland BRT. They might be pursueing artics for them if we get the 50 artics that was talked about in the budget for this year.

But that comes down to that it isn't even on Phase 3 of the hoist project, so one can't tell what they are planning, although 9 and 49 would make sense.

Only problem with that thought is the 6800s are not hand me downs for them because all the 6800s were theirs originally to begin with.

Only problem with that thought is the 6800s are not hand me downs for them because all the 6800s were theirs originally to begin with.

And that makes my point. I guess the blue line needs the #2600's also because they once had them. Maybe they'll shock me and give them a small order of new equipment but I doubt it.

There are some 1300s that were missing on the Kedzie and 77th rosters.

Chicago now has only buses 1329-1331 of the 1300s. 1332, 1333 and 1334 are now Kedzie's (1332 and 1333 are currently on the #18 16th/18th). 1335-1346 (plus the listed 1347) are now 77th's.

Thanks RJL, rosters are updated. (post #131, page 7 in this thread)

If i decided the rosters, I would make all garages have 60 novas and 2/3's nf's and the novas would just go out in the rush. This way repairs to old buses would be low.

A restriction on operating Nova Classic buses does not seem to be in effect for Chicago Garage today, despite it being a Saturday. I am glancing at routes #53, 54, & 65: I view at least seven Novas on them now {having some episodes of 'ghost buses' on routes}. There is also one 40-footer out on #66 Chicago (#1431).

A restriction on operating Nova Classic buses does not seem to be in effect for Chicago Garage today, despite it being a Saturday. I am glancing at routes #53, 54, & 65: I view at least seven Novas on them now {having some episodes of 'ghost buses' on routes}. There is also one 40-footer out on #66 Chicago (#1431).

That was just one forum member's hypothetical scenario not an actual policy.

• 2 weeks later...

I made a few changes to the bus roster. There are a few less novas and at least another optima off the active list. #6400, #6402 are presently at south shops and are going to become the two olive harvey novas that were discussed last year. #6450 is now wrecked at south shops, I don't know how or where. #6404 seems to be off the active list too. #6489-90 have gone to 77th probably to make up for the olive harvey buses and optima #503 is off the roster too. I also put #520-22 at 77th.

Just out of curiosity, I've been tracking the Optimas frequently since the completion of the Red Line project. According to BusTracker about 20 of them seem to be MIA since then.

While I have no way of knowing any bus's official status, here's the roster I've come up with:

77th: 500, 502, 504, & 519 (4)

103rd: 505, 508-509, 511-512, & 517 (6)

FG: 525-527, 530, 534, 536, & 539-540 (8).

Some appear to have been resurrected since then (517, 525, 530, 534, & 540) while others disappeared in late November or sometime in December (501, 510, 518, 520, 522, & 542).

With no official sources, I can't claim 100% accuracy. But I think it's close.

Well the roster does indicate some of those buses are still around, like the #500- #502, #504 transfer and the #518 -#522 transfer. They wouldn't be transferring if they weren't here. The 103rd and fg ones seem to be held in. If you count what has left fg versus what has arrived this pick at fg you get 15 new arrivals versus about 8 leaving so they wouldn't need about 7 buses. They could be using those 7 for parts. The only real way to know is to snoop around the garage. When the nova smart buses come in if the optimas leave first then they must have been in bad shape but how do you drive buses with a small van like chassis in the snow anyway. They had a bus get stuck yesterday on the u of c routes and it was a nf so can you imagine an optima on those streets.

I'm sure you're right, BusHunter. My only source is BusTracker. As you've suggested, maybe some of the Optimas are being cannibalized for parts. Maybe others are being kept in reserve, too.

What seems weird though, is that over the past few days only two Optimas from 77th have appeared on BusTracker: 504 & 519.

I'm sure you're right, BusHunter. My only source is BusTracker. As you've suggested, maybe some of the Optimas are being cannibalized for parts. Maybe others are being kept in reserve, too.

What seems weird though, is that over the past few days only two Optimas from 77th have appeared on BusTracker: 504 & 519.

Maybe 77th is into cannibalization!! :P The writing seems to be on the wall that these may be the first to go when the Nova Smart buses get here. They may just be using parts off the others because they no longer are purchasing replacement parts for the buses. That's a sign they are getting ready to go soon. Only time will tell us what they are planning.

Maybe 77th is into cannibalization!! :P The writing seems to be on the wall that these may be the first to go when the Nova Smart buses get here. They may just be using parts off the others because they no longer are purchasing replacement parts for the buses. That's a sign they are getting ready to go soon. Only time will tell us what they are planning.

Your theory makes perfect sense, BH.

In regard to the cannibalization, it's a matter of applying the right seasoning. But they'll need to be purged and defueled first. Raw diesel fuel is likely to cause indigestion. :wacko:

In regard to the cannibalization, it's a matter of applying the right seasoning. But they'll need to be purged and defueled first. Raw diesel fuel is likely to cause indigestion. :wacko:

They seem to be well salted, which is a prerequisite at America's Test Kitchen.

• Upvote 1

I wonder if CTA would consider swapping the 77 Belmont and 54 Cicero between Chicago Ave and Forest Glen? Basing 77 out of Chicago might allow them to use artics on that route (though it wouldn't be 100% artic). There still may be an outside chance that CTA orders a small number of artics (25?)

According to the budget, they are considering ordering 50 more artics, probably to come in 2015. I think those would be headed to 74th though for the #9 which has overcrowding issues. Maybe if they were LFR's or even Xcelsiors, they could wrap those and make them BRT buses when they do turn the #9 into a BRT corridor. I think before too long Chicago will be sharing with FG on the #77.

• Upvote 1

According to the budget, they are considering ordering 50 more artics, probably to come in 2015. I think those would be headed to 74th though for the #9 which has overcrowding issues. Maybe if they were LFR's or even Xcelsiors, they could wrap those and make them BRT buses when they do turn the #9 into a BRT corridor. I think before too long Chicago will be sharing with FG on the #77.

Valid hypothesis if it happens, although according the the Ashland BRT plans it will be complementing existing service not replacing. So the 9 won't become BRT. It will exist along side the BRT route it they actually get anywhere with the BRT idea on Ashland.

That isn't really more than them previously saying (at the time Nova got the 40 foot order) that the procurement for 50-150 artics in the same specification was still ongoing. We were speculating at the time about what was the hangup.

You'll also remember that the spec called for a price on a BRT type hybrid bus, as well as diesel and hybrid versions of a conventional artic.

Valid hypothesis if it happens, although according the the Ashland BRT plans it will be complementing existing service not replacing. So the 9 won't become BRT. It will exist along side the BRT route it they actually get anywhere with the BRT idea on Ashland.

I forgot the BRT's would be have doors on the left, so they would have to purchase buses strictly for that use, but that doesn't mean they couldn't use artics purchased now for the current #9 and just transfer those around the system when the time comes, if as you say "BRT does or doesn't happen".

That isn't really more than them previously saying (at the time Nova got the 40 foot order) that the procurement for 50-150 artics in the same specification was still ongoing. We were speculating at the time about what was the hangup.

You'll also remember that the spec called for a price on a BRT type hybrid bus, as well as diesel and hybrid versions of a conventional artic.

Something that is kind of interesting is the 150 Nova bus option. Could they tweak that to include Nova artics and less 40 footers and still be party to a similar contract? They could then explore 50 artics with them and avoid another contract for a small number of artics. That might be the plan anyway. Why build lifts for 60 foot buses if they don't foresee years of artic bus use at those garages?

Something that is kind of interesting is the 150 Nova bus option. Could they tweak that to include Nova artics and less 40 footers and still be party to a similar contract? They could then explore 50 artics with them and avoid another contract for a small number of artics. That might be the plan anyway. Why build lifts for 60 foot buses if they don't foresee years of artic bus use at those garages?

Nova Artics would require longer lifts. They are end to end 62', not 60'. Two feet may not make a difference on a lift, then again it may(that might cause the bus to fall off the end or tip off the lift if the weight isn't distributed on the lift properly). CTA would need to take length into consideration when they procure more artics(which is why New Flyer would probably get artic bids pretty much as their artics are measured at 60')

I forgot the BRT's would be have doors on the left, so they would have to purchase buses strictly for that use, but that doesn't mean they couldn't use artics purchased now for the current #9 and just transfer those around the system when the time comes, if as you say "BRT does or doesn't happen".

And I didn't say they couldn't. Just pointing out that the BRT route and the current local route won't be one and the same as you hypothesized. That's not the same thing as saying the local route wouldn't see artics. Though I'd look at 74th's share of the 49 as a better candidate for artics. More of the boardings on that route are through rides while a lot of those on the 9, especially on weekends, are short rides.