Blue Line Sights

trainman8119

I have seen probably 4 or 5 trains with Pink line "Loop" signs on the Blue Line in the past few months. The first one I thought it was just an anomaly - the conductor must have set the switch wrong - but then I saw it a few more times so there has to be some reason why they're using that sign.

Most likely, they are doing trackwork at the UIC-Halsted turnback and those trips are being diverted to the Loop (via LaSalle crossover, hence the Pink Loop signs).

What do you mean "to the Loop"? Surely they aren't going to the Loop Elevated...do you just mean they're terminating downtown instead of going all the way to UIC-Halsted?

Makes me wonder if it would warrant a blue "Loop" sign if the line ran 5000s...don't they have a plain "Downtown" sign anyways? Or is that not on modern roller curtains?

What do you mean "to the Loop"? Surely they aren't going to the Loop Elevated...do you just mean they're terminating downtown instead of going all the way to UIC-Halsted?

Makes me wonder if it would warrant a blue "Loop" sign if the line ran 5000s...don't they have a plain "Downtown" sign anyways? Or is that not on modern roller curtains?

In this case, they're referring to "The Loop" as a general area/neighborhood rather than the actual Loop L structure. They terminate at LaSalle so of the roll signs available, "Loop" is the one that most closely matches the train's actual destination. I'm pretty certain that the black "Downtown" sign wasn't on the car I was riding which was 3022 shown in the picture. Because of the time required to turn the train it went express from Clark/Lake to Damen. "O'Hare" is typically at the top of the roll and "Express" at the bottom so I believe I saw them all. It had signs for Blue, Pink, Green, and Red including red Ashland/63. That doesn't really leave room for "Downtown" or the black "O'hare" and "Midway" that go with it.

I don't think a blue "Loop" sign would really be justified since as you mentioned the blue line doesn't run on the loop elevated. "Downtown" would be more accurate but would still probably not be needed often enough to bother with it.

In this case, they're referring to "The Loop" as a general area/neighborhood rather than the actual Loop L structure. They terminate at LaSalle so of the roll signs available, "Loop" is the one that most closely matches the train's actual destination. I'm pretty certain that the black "Downtown" sign wasn't on the car I was riding which was 3022 shown in the picture. Because of the time required to turn the train it went express from Clark/Lake to Damen. "O'Hare" is typically at the top of the roll and "Express" at the bottom so I believe I saw them all. It had signs for Blue, Pink, Green, and Red including red Ashland/63. That doesn't really leave room for "Downtown" or the black "O'hare" and "Midway" that go with it.

I don't think a blue "Loop" sign would really be justified since as you mentioned the blue line doesn't run on the loop elevated. "Downtown" would be more accurate but would still probably not be needed often enough to bother with it.

True, but the rolls still have a 54/Cermak destination sign in Blue (white background and blue lettering).  Changing that to Downtown shouldn't be too hard since Blue Line trains no longer go to 54/Cermak.

True, but the rolls still have a 54/Cermak destination sign in Blue (white background and blue lettering).  Changing that to Downtown shouldn't be too hard since Blue Line trains no longer go to 54/Cermak.

But then it would be like when the Red Line went to 63-Ashland, and they would order 900 rolls to serve here would be a very transient use. Looks like they gave up taping readings to rolls at least 20 years ago.

Still would be much effort for minimal usage since the 2600s will be gone relatively soon, ending the era of roll signs on CTA. Though having a Downtown sign or even programmable signs on  the 7000s when those are built would be feasible.

Still would be much effort for minimal usage since the 2600s will be gone relatively soon, ending the era of roll signs on CTA. Though having a Downtown sign or even programmable signs on  the 7000s when those are built would be feasible.

My point on transitory was that the cutback to LaSalle was short lived, not your assumption about the 7000s, which probably won't become prevalent until 2022.

They don't go to 54th/Cermak, but even the 5000s have the blue reading for that so there's some reason they want to keep it.

The signs on the 7000s are designated as programmable by a laptop in the specs, but even if they weren't specifically required to be programmable, they're digital, so there has to be some way to program them. It's in the nature of the technology.

• Upvote 1

• 10 months later...
3 hours ago, Pace831 said:

image.jpg

The signs used to say "UIC-Halsted", didn't they? This whole train had signs that just said "UIC". New signs, I guess.

They've been like that for a couple of years, probably to make the signs more readable. I'm assuming they made the redesign at the same time they switched to Cottage Grove and just 95th.