CTA 'L' Rosters

sw4400

Blue line maintenance is better than the Red line's in my opinion because again more cars are in service on the Red. Alot of times the Red line runs with 8 car trains where the blue line runs with 4 on the weekend sometimes (when there's not a downtown event scheduled.) But after what I saw last week with the heat and all, the #2200's need to depart first. About 3/4 of the #2200's series trains were hot with people fanning themselves on a 100 degree car and I spotted several cars with the hopper windows open. There is a few that have good AC like #2313 but the #2400's seemed to be in much better condition. Now the purple line #2600's seem to be in good condition too. I think ultimately, those cars are going to end up on the blue line when all the transferring stops. BTW, blue line got a few more cars last week I have yet to update. They are #2937-38 and #2945-46.

Two weeks ago, I did rode Blue Line 2200s (#2263) as one of them with No A/C came out sweating and melting. In the Winter times, I've ridden many 2600s on Red Line that I had to bundle up, almost half of their fleet 2600s have no Heat, even some of 3200s on Orange got poor heating as well. In my opinion, 2400s are the best with Heating so I hope those will remaining and more from Green Line to come on Red Line for this Winter coming up until Red Line receives 5000s.

Krambles's book made a big deal about how the flatcars had to be converted so that they could run with 6000s instead of 4000s. But, then I suppose that they had to be converted again to run with the work 2400s, which raises the question whether something else would have to be converted to work equipment if those 2400s are retired, but I suppose it would be 2600s.

So, unless they are willing to modify the electric couplers to conform to the 5000s, probably not.

Holiday Trains are consisted of the blue line 2600-series cars only as their cars are capable of handling the extra voltage from the lights on the train and the 3rd raul. So don't expect any other series, especially a 5000-series to run as a holiday train anytime soon

Holiday Trains are consisted of the blue line 2600-series cars only as their cars are capable of handling the extra voltage from the lights on the train and the 3rd raul. So don't expect any other series, especially a 5000-series to run as a holiday train anytime soon

The Holiday train is formed of cars 2893-2898. These were Red Line cars and are normally now allocated to the Yellow Line out of the Christmas season. They are the only 2600 series cars that are work motor capable, needed to work with the flat car in the Holiday train.

The voltage remains the same (600V DC); all the lights will, however, take more current from the third rail.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Thank you for the list of 5000 series assignments.

Have you the breakout of which 5000s currently have the colored LED displays? :o

Or you could have looked at the thread "#5000's in service and retirement dates" (just scroll down the first page) I have alot of info there like in service dates, delivery dates, what trains had the LED colorized signs, when and where the prototypes tested as well as when they were out of service. Think of it as a wiki page. I notice some of the other fan websites have roster info and thought that could be a nice edition here.

• 3 months later...

There are some roster moves regarding the 2400s and the 3200s goes. The Green Line has pick up the Red Line 2400s car #2501-02. Also the Orange Line has the Brown Line cars #3361-62, #3369-70 and #3373-74.

You can add #3267-68 to the Brown line, also #2249-50 has shown up once again on the blue line. Those ex brown line cars should be a consecutive block of cars (#3361-74 on the orange and counting) I don't yet understand why they switched cars.

You can add #3267-68 to the Brown line, also #2249-50 has shown up once again on the blue line. Those ex brown line cars should be a consecutive block of cars (#3361-74 on the orange and counting) I don't yet understand why they switched cars.

I don't know either BusHunter. Also, chicagopcclcar has posted that the 2800s and 2900s Budd cars are headed to the Orange Line.

Whoever does the updating should update the red line quickly cause for the past few days ive been seeing way more than 10 2400 series cars. I just saw a full 8 car train of 24's and every other car besides the 5000's have been an even mix of 26 and 2400 series.

Whoever does the updating should update the red line quickly cause for the past few days ive been seeing way more than 10 2400 series cars. I just saw a full 8 car train of 24's and every other car besides the 5000's have been an even mix of 26 and 2400 series.

I said the other day that their using the purple lines #2500's. I saw a full set myself with #2533-34 and #2555-56 in it. I put a note at the bottom of the page stating what's being swapped yesterday, but I don't want to put all the numbers in, (especially if there only going to be there for a week) and they should. If not how would the Purple line have a sufficient number of cars for service next week.

With the Wells St. Brige project done until late April, one has to wonder if the jumbled rosters will stay pat or be returned to their original assignments...

Blue Line has had some 2200's return to service. Early count was 54, they now have 66.

Red Line has lost some 2800's and 2900's for the Brown Line Wells St. Bridge project. These should be returned I imagine.

Purple Line has loaned some 2400's to the Red Line for rail service while some 2800's and 2900's were being used for Brown Line service. If the above mentioned 2800's and 2900's return to the Red Line, this should stop for now.

Orange Line has in their yard 3357-3378 since the Brown Line has borrowed some of their 3200's. Will they remain there or return to the Kimball Yard for a number block swap?

Brown Line has in their yard 3255-3256 and 3267-3294 from the Orange Line. Will these be returned to Midway Yard for 3357-3378 or stay pat?

Green Line has lost 5000's to the Pink Line, but it seems like these two lines give and take a lot lately.

Pink Line has gained 5000's from the Green Line. Temporarily or what?

The only line spared from this see-saw of transfers has been the Yellow Line.

Countdown to part 2 of the Wells St. Bridge shutdown... 7 weeks.

With the Wells St. Brige project done until late April, one has to wonder if the jumbled rosters will stay pat or be returned to their original assignments...

Blue Line has had some 2200's return to service. Early count was 54, they now have 66.

Red Line has lost some 2800's and 2900's for the Brown Line Wells St. Bridge project. These should be returned I imagine.

Purple Line has loaned some 2400's to the Red Line for rail service while some 2800's and 2900's were being used for Brown Line service. If the above mentioned 2800's and 2900's return to the Red Line, this should stop for now.

Orange Line has in their yard 3357-3378 since the Brown Line has borrowed some of their 3200's. Will they remain there or return to the Kimball Yard for a number block swap?

Brown Line has in their yard 3255-3256 and 3267-3294 from the Orange Line. Will these be returned to Midway Yard for 3357-3378 or stay pat?

Green Line has lost 5000's to the Pink Line, but it seems like these two lines give and take a lot lately.

Pink Line has gained 5000's from the Green Line. Temporarily or what?

The only line spared from this see-saw of transfers has been the Yellow Line.

Countdown to part 2 of the Wells St. Bridge shutdown... 7 weeks.

Technically, the closure of the Wells/Lake junction will continue through this weekend. Thus, don't expect any equipment moves until early Monday morning.

As for the Green Line (temporarily) losing some 5000s, it is largely due to the segmentation of the route into three sections. As such, not as many cars are needed for this three-segment level of service. In addition, the Green Line seems to have gained some 2400s back. This might indicate that the CTA has other (unknown) plans for the route.