CTA 'L' Rosters

sw4400

I didn't see anything at Rosemont yard today except a bunch of old dirty trains. man that shine really goes down the tubes when it gets dirty with all that rusty rail grime that collects on them. No wonder they had charcoal liveries before black doesn't show anything just fading.  

11 hours ago, Sam92 said:

Gladly. Lol. But sending back 2600s to those lines would involve purple and yellow as well so... 

Yep, and I also believe that CTA wants the Green and Pink Lines to have a common fleet as well, since they are considered a shared fleet since they frequently borrow and perform maintenance on each other's cars.

12 hours ago, CTA5750 said:

They should send 2600s back to the Red and Green lines.  

I agree. Even though it may not be as practical as the "common fleet" system they have set up now with 100% 5000s, it'd be nice to catch some 2600 8-car strings mixed into the Red and Green run schedules. It'd be enjoyable to see some variety---a similar version of how it used to be a mere 5 years ago (excluding the 2400s, r.i.p.). 

(Personal anecdote: If Car #3458 (Originally #3032) is in a Brown Line consist, I will go out of my way to ride that one instead of any of the rehabbed 3200's...every time:P.) 

5 minutes ago, ThirdRailVision said:

it'd be nice to catch some 2600 8-car strings mixed into the Red and Green run schedules.

Especially if they break down and have to be pushed out of the way because they can only mechanically couple.

While there is some debate whether there is a surplus on the lines currently running 5000s, there certainly isn't any shortage requiring degrading service.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, ThirdRailVision said:

Here's a quick question for you all...

I'm well aware of the Brownage runs. However, has there been any instance of an in-service Purple-Green run? (i.e. Linden to Ashland/63 or Cottage Grove) 

Before the CTA's early service revisions in the late 1940s (specifically, the North-South Service Revision that went into effect on August 1, 1949), many trains did go from Linden to Stony Island as a single route. First on the elevated since 1913, then from 1943 to 1949, in the State Street Subway. Since then, the CTA has never officially run any revenue trains from Wilmette that far south.

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, sw4400 said:

This is a Brown Line train to the loop. #2918,that's right. 2600's do run the Brown Line. 

20160805_222227.jpg

You know why because the lake and wabash sides are closed this weekend, I think and someone probably sent an orange line #2600 train up there. It happens. The #3200's are laid up at midway because they are setup for the brownages normally. because this is unscheduled or out of the routine orange line personnel must not have got to the brownage layups. i bet tomorrow they'll all be #3200's.

15 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

You know why because the lake and wabash sides are closed this weekend, I think and someone probably sent an orange line #2600 train up there. It happens. The #3200's are laid up at midway because they are setup for the brownages normally. because this is unscheduled or out of the routine orange line personnel must not have got to the brownage layups. i bet tomorrow they'll all be #3200's.

Well, I remember there was talk that 2600's can't run the Brown Line because of blue light issues. This debunks that, I think.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, sw4400 said:

Well, I remember there was talk that 2600's can't run the Brown Line because of blue light issues. This debunks that, I think.

I didn't say it was impossible. The #2600's still can't run the brown line without damaging them. Just because you see a couple trains doesn't debunk anything. Run all #2600's runs and you have a story. i also didn't say they have blue light issues which is related to the doors not the wheels which are the issue. Now for today's final Jeopardy answer this, answer why are the brownages laid up as #3200's. Tick Tock Tick Tock I'm waiting.... :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3lLYOGDsts

1 hour ago, BusHunter said:

I didn't say it was impossible. The #2600's still can't run the brown line without damaging them. Just because you see a couple trains doesn't debunk anything. Run all #2600's runs and you have a story. i also didn't say they have blue light issues which is related to the doors not the wheels which are the issue. Now for today's final Jeopardy answer this, answer why are the brownages laid up as #3200's. Tick Tock Tick Tock I'm waiting.... :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3lLYOGDsts

I'm going to stick with my original hypothesis of 99.99% of all Brown Line trains being #3200's a case of logistics. Kimball Yard & Shop is a bit on the small side and as a result, they probably don't have room for the necessary #2600 parts. Say a #2600 brownage has an issue up north, they're kinda screwed. Besides, if some issue were to arise on the #3200's, and they can't use #2600's and to a lesser extent, #5000's too, what will CTA do, just cancel all Brown Line service? 

7 hours ago, juelzkellz said:

if some issue were to arise on the #3200's, and they can't use #2600's and to a lesser extent, #5000's too, what will CTA do, just cancel all Brown Line service? 

No. Da Mare would then have to walk to work. That is if you believe da Mare.

With all the yap about ridership growth on the Brown Line,that would be the last to close. Aside from the ongoing rehab project making your eventually extremely unlikely, they would come up with something.

30 minutes ago, jajuan said:

Besides the above stated, if running 2600s in the Brown Line were that big a deal why were some assigned to that line at one time near the time the rehab project for the line was taking place?

Probably because the #2600's were still unrehabbed. The condition exists on the rehabbed version. There is also the period where a defect has yet to be determined. Cars would be running then. It really depends then on how savvy mechanics are to locate the  defect and attribute  it to track conditions and location.

11 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Probably because the #2600's were still unrehabbed. The condition exists on the rehabbed version. There is also the period where a defect has yet to be determined. Cars would be running then. It really depends then on how savvy mechanics are to locate the  defect and attribute  it to track conditions and location.

Sorry but no BH. This was after all the 2600s had undergone rehabs. They spent some time assigned to the Brown, I believe got used on the Purple Line a short time and eventually found their way on the Red Line.