CTA 'L' Rosters

sw4400

On a side note, I rode Brownage runs this weekend and there were at least 6 trains assigned from Midway.  One train was all 3200s, two were all 2600s and the others had a mix of 2600s/3200s.  I was surprised to see so many 2600s out.  I spotted at least 30 cars.

• Upvote 3

Didn't have enough time possibly from the shock but some of the full rehabbed and LED only rehabbed were switched out with and rotated back to the orange line. I'm not sure how many in total but so far I counted at least 10-12 this morning. They were on the brownage runs so I caught a glance on one leaving Roosevelt Midway-bound, one leaving from HWL, and the last one leaving Merch mart. I also noticed non-peak runs on the brown line are back to 4 car sets. 

I was able to catch 2925-26 on a regular brown line run (didn't see the run number) today while  looking out the window from the office. Hopefully I can catch some of the rotated rehabbed cars on the orange line today. I noticed a lot of cars that were on the orange line 3201-3240's (not all though) have been rotated on the brown line. It's weird to see mostly mylar roller signs back on the brown line. 

P.s. these pictures were taken at 3:50pm

image2.jpeg

image4.jpeg

image3.jpeg

image1.jpeg

19 hours ago, Chicagos_D said:

I was able to catch 2925-26 on a regular brown line run (didn't see the run number) today while  looking out the window from the office. Hopefully I can catch some of the rotated rehabbed cars on the orange line today. I noticed a lot of cars that were on the orange line 3201-3240's (not all though) have been rotated on the brown line. It's weird to see mostly mylar roller signs back on the brown line. 

Confirmed. Both the Brown and Orange Lines now run both 2600s and 3200s. Only this time, most of the "fully rehabbed" 3200s are now on the Orange Line while many but not all of the "unrehabbed" 3200s are now on the Brown Line. And both lines are now starting to limit many of the 2600s to weekday rush hour service only.

As for "Brownage" runs, many of them are now a mixture of 2600- and 3200-series equipment - if any 2600s are used on the Brownage runs, those trains are supposed to include at least one 3200-series pair in the same consist. Trains made up entirely of 2600s usually stay on the Orange Line.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/15/2016 at 11:30 AM, Chicagos_D said:

Didn't have enough time possibly from the shock but some of the full rehabbed and LED only rehabbed were switched out with and rotated back to the orange line. I'm not sure how many in total but so far I counted at least 10-12 this morning. They were on the brownage runs so I caught a glance on one leaving Roosevelt Midway-bound, one leaving from HWL, and the last one leaving Merch mart. I also noticed non-peak runs on the brown line are back to 4 car sets. 

Brown Line trains in non-peak hours have been 4-car sets for quite some time now. 

1 hour ago, jajuan said:

Brown Line trains in non-peak hours have been 4-car sets for quite some time now. 

True, but brown line had a shortage of equipment while rehabbing the cars. So for a few months they were running full sets even during non-peak hours and evening hours due to that shortage and some restrictions with some of the released rehabbed cars. 

53 minutes ago, Chicagos_D said:

True, but brown line had a shortage of equipment while rehabbing the cars. So for a few months they were running full sets even during non-peak hours and evening hours due to that shortage and some restrictions with some of the released rehabbed cars. 

I'm not sure what this means, since if they were short cars, one could open the coupling and get 2 4 car trains.

1 hour ago, Busjack said:

I'm not sure what this means, since if they were short cars, one could open the coupling and get 2 4 car trains.

There were significant amount of rehabbed 3200s that had this sticker indicating it could not be used as a lead or rear car. Within that same period of time brown line ran full sets during non-peak hours. I'm not sure if that was the specific reason or if it involved other reasons, but as of Monday operations were back to normal. 

10 minutes ago, Chicagos_D said:

There were significant amount of rehabbed 3200s that had this sticker indicating it could not be used as a lead or rear car. Within that same period of time brown line ran full sets during non-peak hours. I'm not sure if that was the specific reason or if it involved other reasons, but as of Monday operations were back to normal. 

OK. Also, I thought you might have been referring to that your pictures reflect that the 2600s are belly cars.

Alot of Orange line #3200's are appearing on the brown line this evening. #3222-21 and #3207-08 are in the yard. #3239-40, #3245-46, #3253-54,#3257-58 and #3211-12 are among what I saw. It was pretty wild looking down the tracks from belmont brown, i saw 4 cleaner looking bodies all shiny so i figure here comes some rehabs. No it is the orange line cars. They are much cleaner than the brown line. Wth albany park is dirty or something or do trains pick up more grime on the traditional elevated?

4 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Wth albany park is dirty or something or do trains pick up more grime on the traditional elevated?

Theoretically the crud falls from the open structure, but maybe the rails have more lubricating oil on curves.

2 minutes ago, andrethebusman said:

Does Kimball even have a car washer? Midway's obviously does a better job than some others.

There was in Krambles's book a reference to having built a new inspection shop there (when 2600s were on the line).

6 minutes ago, andrethebusman said:

Does Kimball even have a car washer? Midway's obviously does a better job than some others.

could be what I was thinking is the #3200 cars on the orange are just not getting the road miles the brown line cars are getting. I mean if most of the time they sit when the brownage is not in use, theoretically they are not going to get dirty either. You can see this also on the Purple line. When you see #5400's go by they look so new and crisp probably because most of them sit. Easily they will have the lowest road miles of any cars.

• 3 weeks later...
16 hours ago, garmon757 said:

Yes it have and I can't believe it. 

Im working on getting this info. There was a bulletin on this transfer. Its because of excessive highway miles. What i was talking about before. Dated aug 12th or 13th now i just have to get the car numbers. Im depending on my hq source to come through here.

Caught an interesting sight a few hours ago on the Brown Line..... a four-car set of 2400's running toward Kimball "Not In Service"...... no, they weren't heading that way for rail service..... these were work motors with the red and white striping along with a pair of flat cars with equipment on them. My guess is they traveled from Howard Yard to Belmont, switched back and crossed the North Side Main Line to the Ravenswood Line heading to Kimball to drop off whatever that equipment on the flat cars was for. Maybe rehabbing 3200's, or maybe cleaning agents for the cars.

Sorry, no pics...... I was caught by surprise by the train as I was getting ready to head off the platform when I heard the whistle horn of the train as it blew by the station.

On 9/25/2016 at 8:51 PM, sw4400 said:

Another weekend of all 2600-series sets on the Brown Line. 

20160925_204809.jpg

We will be seeing these kinds of sightings for as long as CTA closes the Lake and Wabash sides of the Loop Elevated on weekends for Washington/Wabash station construction, and therefore facilitating the Brown and Orange Lines operating as one route during those times. 

• Upvote 3

• 2 months later...