CTA 'L' Rosters

sw4400

6 hours ago, RJL6000 said:

there may be periods of temporary but longer-term closures over large portions of the Forest Park branch during this reconstruction period.

We never know.  But the reason I'm saying all this is because this is what could happen if CTA decides to shut down Congress, similarly to what they did to Dan Ryan. 

I believe that is the best way to fix it because in 5 months, they can make a whole line brand new and more efficient than just patching things up and having to fix it again in the short-run.

31 minutes ago, chicagocubs6323 said:

Let me stop you right there lol

Terminating trains at UIC-Halsted is a big hassle with trains coming in every two minutes during rush hour.  It's a bad move because that turnover track cannot handle that many trains.  I know this because it takes about 5 minutes for a motorman to walk the train, as they are supposed to do, and make sure there are no passengers on all 8 cars!  During that time, there are two trains waiting directly behind it and it will cause delays.  MAJOR DELAYS!!  Every train behind has to do the same thing!!  ??  UIC-Halsted just cannot handle all that.  It's not a proper / efficient terminal.  Chris Fisher, A Rail Supervisor from Forest Park, has complained bout these trains before  on the Chicago "L" group on Facebook.

I wouldn't get rid of Pink Line service either because if you take the Congress line out of service, a lot of people need alternatives or else they are stranded.  The Douglas line would need to support Blue Line riders as well so running Pink Line trains along with Blue can be done.  

The extra Green Line Loop trains can run counter-clockwise on Brown Line Outer Loop tracks to reduce the traffic on the already congested inner loop track during rush hours.  

Yea but if green line service runs on the brown line tracks that’s also going to cause traffic jams between Clark/Lake and Adams/Wabash T18 can’t handle anymore trains during rush as it already does with switching trains every 5-10 seconds

30 minutes ago, chicagocubs6323 said:

We never know.  But the reason I'm saying all this is because this is what could happen if CTA decides to shut down Congress, similarly to what they did to Dan Ryan. 

I believe that is the best way to fix it because in 5 months, they can make a whole line brand new and more efficient than just patching things up and having to fix it again in the short-run.

Dan Ryan only took 6 months why can’t they do the same with congress branch? 

1 hour ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

Dan Ryan only took 6 months why can’t they do the same with congress branch? 

This will take several years because the planned elimination of left-hand exits and entrances (and replacing them with right-hand ones) will require the complete relocation of the portion of the Forest Park branch between Cicero and Forest Park, and possibly the freight railroad tracks west of Central Avenue (which are still in occasional service). The CTA does not want to permanently terminate the west end of the line to Cicero Avenue just to accommodate the new entrance/exit configuration through Oak Park (under the current plan, not only are the left-hand exits and entrances to be replaced with right-hand ones, but the expressway itself is to be widened from the current three lanes in each direction to four lanes in each direction). Remember that when the Ike was first constructed through Oak Park, it required temporary tracks and temporary stations (to maintain rail service while the expressway was being constructed) to replace the since-demolished old ground-level portion of what was then the Garfield Line. That project took well over two years to complete.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, RJL6000 said:

This will take several years because the planned elimination of left-hand exits and entrances (and replacing them with right-hand ones) will require the complete relocation of the portion of the Forest Park branch between Cicero and Forest Park, and possibly the freight railroad tracks west of Central Avenue (which are still in occasional service). The CTA does not want to permanently terminate the west end of the line to Cicero Avenue just to accommodate the new entrance/exit configuration through Oak Park (under the current plan, not only are the left-hand exits and entrances to be replaced with right-hand ones, but the expressway itself is to be widened from the current three lanes in each direction to four lanes in each direction). Remember that when the Ike was first constructed through Oak Park, it required temporary tracks and temporary stations (to maintain rail service while the expressway was being constructed) to replace the since-demolished old ground-level portion of what was then the Garfield Line. That project took well over two years to complete.

Sounds like a headache... :/

1 hour ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

Yea but if green line service runs on the brown line tracks that’s also going to cause traffic jams between Clark/Lake and Adams/Wabash T18 can’t handle anymore trains during rush as it already does with switching trains every 5-10 seconds

I can agree with that if you're making Green Line trains run every 2 minutes.  Now that is impossible!  lol  Intervals of 4-7 minutes should work. 

It's better than sending all Blue Line trains to terminate at UIC, though.  

1 hour ago, chicagocubs6323 said:

I can agree with that if you're making Green Line trains run every 2 minutes.  Now that is impossible!  lol  Intervals of 4-7 minutes should work. 

It's better than sending all Blue Line trains to terminate at UIC, though.  

Someone said earlier that CTA cannot terminate every blue line at UIC it takes 5 mins for a operator to go from one end to another and check to see that no passengers are on board and by the time he/she done with that you have a whole marathon of trains behind that one waiting for their turn 

48 minutes ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

Someone said earlier that CTA cannot terminate every blue line at UIC it takes 5 mins for a operator to go from one end to another and check to see that no passengers are on board and by the time he/she done with that you have a whole marathon of trains behind that one waiting for their turn 

I'm the one who said that, Aiden.  Lmaoo

• Haha 1

On 6/1/2019 at 5:10 PM, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

7000’s won’t arrive until next year the congress branch will hopefully be fully renewed by then and if that’s the case 7000’s will be going to blue and 2600’s retire the 3200’s are like new since the rehab so expect them to be around 5-10 more years 

Whoa! too soon the Congress Rehab just moved from the environmental stage, the funds aren't even identified and most likely, the project will coincide with the I-290 reconstruction, so were about half a decade away before anything gets touched on the Congress.

Seeing that the previous mayoral administration specified that the 7000s become the gateway for customers to/from O'Hare and Midway, this signified that the 7000s would go to the Orange (due to the 5000s mostly being deployed to the Red Line by the time the deliveries were completed, then receiving the oldest 2600s from the Blue Line to replace the 3200s that were shifted to make room for the 5000s that never arrived) and the Blue Line's (Due to 2600s pending retirement) but with time comes change and it looks like the 3200s may be shifted to the Blue Line due to keeping maintenance maintained along one set of rail cars at the shops, such as 5000s operating along the Red/Yellow/Purple being maintained at Howard for example, which shows fiscal responsibility within the agency. 

In recent years, older equipment usually shifts to the Blue Line and seeing that the 3200s have arrived, expect the Blue Line to become the land of the 3200s in the near future.

It would be nice for the 7000s to operate on the Blue Line, but remember this is a transit agency that has to be reasonable with it's resources.

On 5/21/2019 at 9:49 PM, chicagocubs6323 said:

Not necessarily.  If substation work is finished on time, 7000s will go on the Blue.  I still have doubts of that, however, because of how bad the Congress branch is. 

CTA would not put 5000s on the Blue Line for this reason as well because it will damage the suspension.  The 5000s weigh more than the 2600s & 3200s and running them constantly can worsen the already terrible track conditions along the Ike.  

My smartest prediction is that Brown could get 7000s 1st and send more 3200s to Blue.  I'm not saying it will happen but that's just what I think could happen if CTA decides to hold it cause of much in bad condition the Congress line is.

The 5000s has more capacity for passengers, the 7000s will be tailored towards customer comfort. 

In a situation where capacity is an issue, a 5000 would be better suited for the Blue Line and seeing that the substation upgrades are ongoing, i would chose a 5000 during rush hour to carry passenger capacity once the power capacity is available to making that executive decision.

But then again, we are discussing and comparing an existing rail car series to a non-existing series, so this pretty much becomes redundant for the near future.

10 hours ago, chicagocubs6323 said:

I think until all moves are final the rosters can be updated.  I saw one pair of 5000s you caught on the Red Line back on the Pink Line last Saturday.  I forgot the pair's numbers, though.

Maybe it came from green because Green/Pink switch cars and Green/Red do switches to that’s how couple 5600’s landed up on green