CTA 'L' Rosters

sw4400

I believe they said the Green line will use all of the cars it has now, because the service on the south side is being beefed up. (more trains than normal) What has me kind of thrown off is the storage capacities of 98th yard versus Ashland/63rd. The Red line currently has 422 cars, Howard yard's capacity is 310. So I'm assuming 98th yard is housing 110 cars? Can Ashland yard house 110 cars? Also they have no maintenance facility at Ashland/63rd like 98th has. So if something needs repair it needs to go to Howard. While you may say "well the Green line is doing that" they are running a third to a fourth of what the Red line's running. (as far as equipment totals) This sounds like it might turn out to be quite a headache, we know how the Red line goes through cars. (It's only the busiest line)

There is the maintenance building at the east end of the Ashland yard. I don't know to what level it was used to service Green line trains since most Green line train sets were serviced and based out of Harlem. I do remember during the winter the yard asking for a stalled sleet fighter train to return to Ashland shops. Ashland should be able to match 98th St's storage although I don't have numbers before me. Remember too, there are the "tail tracks" west of the platform that stored trains in the old days of the "West-South route." Finally, replacing the lost servicing of 98th St. yard was one of the reasons the antique cars were relocated from the Purple line shop in Wilmette.

• Upvote 1

There is the maintenance building at the east end of the Ashland yard. I don't know to what level it was used to service Green line trains since most Green line train sets were serviced and based out of Harlem. I do remember during the winter the yard asking for a stalled sleet fighter train to return to Ashland shops. Ashland should be able to match 98th St's storage although I don't have numbers before me. Remember too, there are the "tail tracks" west of the platform that stored trains in the old days of the "West-South route." Finally, replacing the lost servicing of 98th St. yard was one of the reasons the antique cars were relocated from the Purple line shop in Wilmette.

Chicago-l.org says they have no maintenance facility at Ashland yard. 98th yard and shop had an expansion when the south end of the west south turned into the Red line (but I don't know how much of an expansion) I don't know maybe I'll have to go on google maps satellite view and count tracks. :P

What about the West Shops in West Garfield Park? Chicago-l.org says it's still in use, but for non-rolling stock maintenance and construction. Maybe some of the Red Line equipment can be stored here.

Link

That is impossible because there is absolutely no track leading to that facility from the Lake Street L. The track that formerly led to the old Hamlin Yard was the only way for any rail equipment to reach the West Shops facility - and that connection was severed in the late 1980s when the connection was dismantled.

What about the West Shops in West Garfield Park? Chicago-l.org says it's still in use, but for non-rolling stock maintenance and construction. Maybe some of the Red Line equipment can be stored here.

Link

As RJL implies, West Shops was a CSL (streetcar) facility, but the Hamlin Yard was a Lake Street L facility across the street. While there was a link in the early CTA days, Hamlin's function was taken over by whatever shop now is in Forest Park past Harlem and Lake.

Some of the books on the L indicate that Hamlin didn't really store anything--there was at one time an express track on the Lake route and it was used for storage off rush hour.

Krambles's book indicates that (20 years ago) all that was left of West Shops was to fabricate infrastructure, such as track panels and bus shelters. Obviously, CTA doesn't have to fabricate bus shelters now, because JC DeCaux provides them.

Google Maps indicates some sort of parking lot and material yard where Hamlin Yard used to be.

Is the Red Line going to start borrowing the Green Line 5000's next week

Why? They have 16 2400-Series railcars, 306 2600-Series railcars and 98 5000-Series railcars. That should be adequate for Red Line service from Howard to Ashland/63rd.

• Upvote 2

Why? They have 16 2400-Series railcars, 306 2600-Series railcars and 98 5000-Series railcars. That should be adequate for Red Line service from Howard to Ashland/63rd.

Except that in addition to the mileage of the Red Line being cut, the former Lake-Ashland trains are going to be cut back, too. But that involves far fewer cars.

• Upvote 1

Except that in addition to the mileage of the Red Line being cut, the former Lake-Ashland trains are going to be cut back, too. But that involves far fewer cars.

Either way, it still points to there being no need for the Red Line to borrow any cars from the Green. As sw says, what they have on hand now to do service from Howard to 95th/Dan Ryan should be more than enough to handle service to Ashland/63rd for the next five months without borrowing cars.

Either way, it still points to there being no need for the Red Line to borrow any cars from the Green. As sw says, what they have on hand now to do service from Howard to 95th/Dan Ryan should be more than enough to handle service to Ashland/63rd for the next five months without borrowing cars.

Unless there is a plan to speed up making pop cans out of cars.

• Upvote 1

Unless there is a plan to speed up making pop cans out of cars.

I think that's what Sam Roman was referring to. That the Red line would lose a certain number of #2600's and replace them with borrowed #5000 cars off the Green line. As far as I know the Green line's not losing any cars. The question is will the Red line lose cars? They should or it will be a crowded south side elevated.

I think that's what Sam Roman was referring to. That the Red line would lose a certain number of #2600's and replace them with borrowed #5000 cars off the Green line. As far as I know the Green line's not losing any cars. The question is will the Red line lose cars? They should or it will be a crowded south side elevated.

Probably more relevant (since someone was saying that the junk track at Rosemont is filling up with 2200s) is whether 2600s will be used to retire 2400s. Theoretically, some of the 2400s have been moved off the Green Line, and while they might have been needed for fleet expansion, they might not be next week.

Probably more relevant (since someone was saying that the junk track at Rosemont is filling up with 2200s) is whether 2600s will be used to retire 2400s. Theoretically, some of the 2400s have been moved off the Green Line, and while they might have been needed for fleet expansion, they might not be next week.

This weekend they might clear the storage track and put the next collection of #2200's on it. I have a feeling the blue line's going to get some more #2600's. (they've been working on sending #2800's over lately) I doubt the #2400's on the Red line have Red Ashland/63rd signs so they might just shift those to storage or the Purple line.

This weekend they might clear the storage track and put the next collection of #2200's on it. I have a feeling the blue line's going to get some more #2600's. (they've been working on sending #2800's over lately) I doubt the #2400's on the Red line have Red Ashland/63rd signs so they might just shift those to storage or the Purple line.

In that the requisition was for 900 sign curtains (300 cars), I guess one can do the math on that. <_<

All the 2400's on the Red and Purple Line got Ashland/63 signs and the old signs went to the Brown Line.

As I noted yesterday, the 2400s on the Purple Line Express I rode had red Ashland/63rd signs so I doubt what few 2400s are still serving the Red Line don't have them.

I was thinking today, I wonder if they intend to put all the #2200's into storage effective this weekend. They could do that and still have an 8 car set available for the IRM fantrip on 6/2. Cars could stay in storage for the month of June or until they are eventually retired. It all depends on how many #2600's come over to the Blue line, but if that is true then there's only going to be a couple more days to ride the #2200's in service. (I hope not) BTW, on the #2400's beat, #2465-66 is back on the Purple line. I'll have to see if the others go or not.

I was thinking today, I wonder if they intend to put all the #2200's into storage effective this weekend. They could do that and still have an 8 car set available for the IRM fantrip on 6/2. Cars could stay in storage for the month of June or until they are eventually retired. It all depends on how many #2600's come over to the Blue line, but if that is true then there's only going to be a couple more days to ride the #2200's in service. (I hope not) BTW, on the #2400's beat, #2465-66 is back on the Purple line. I'll have to see if the others go or not.

I believe the 06/02 IRM Charter is going to be 4 cars.

If they move more 2600's to the Blue Line the Red Line would have to get more 5000's.

Which it will.

But there was also the discussion with the trains being cut back on Monday, the Red and Green Lines probably will need a few fewer cars.