Jump to content
sw4400

CTA 'L' Rosters

Recommended Posts

44 minutes ago, CTA5750 said:

So whatever happened to this so called commitment CTA made a long time ago of having a 100 percent compatible rail car fleet?  Wasant this is one of the main reasons the Skokie Swift was converted to third rail?  Makes no sense at all  

The Skokie Swift being converted to third rail has more to do with operational flexibility than a 100% compatible fleet. Let’s not forget that it was an extremely small portion of the rail system with overhead wire, but it still needed a special fleet of railcars to run on it. The effects of this last to this day because those railcars can’t operate on the Blue Line even with the pantographs removed, and when they had the pantographs installed, there were probably clearance issues on more of the system.

Also there comes a point when fleet compatibility must be sacrificed because it would create more problems than it would solve, or it would bring more modern equipment to the fleet (for example, the jump from the 6000s to the High Performance cars). Since Bombardier will probably charge for software to make the 7000s compatible with the 5000s, the cost may not be worth it, and that’s assuming Bombardier will make the software. 
 

However, even though the 5000s and 7000s are probably not going to be compatible, the 5000s currently make up the entire fleet off the five lines they run on, and of the three lines that still use DC equipment for passenger service, only one of them mixes car types. So if all 800 7000 series cars are eventually ordered, that means the CTA is down to two types of cars, and the issue of compatibility would almost be gone since both fleets are just so large.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/25/2020 at 10:01 AM, Sam92 said:

Wouldnt be a waste of money to retire 3200 just cause of a recent rehab. Thats just for life extension. If thats the case cta is looking too early for replacements for the 1000's that just got rehab and rebuilt. Just trying to avoid equipment failures

Cta 1000's are 5-6 years into they the rehab life they started rehabbing those in 14 when they started getting the 7900's so they are worn down again but I see what you saying just doing preventive maintenance

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/25/2020 at 8:42 PM, artthouwill said:

I understand what you are saying.   But I have personally seen a mixed consist on the Brown Line,  although it was 6 3200s and 2 2600s (3457/8 weren't in this consist).  Because of the lack of space in Kimball Yard. they may not be able to make 2600s belly cars, but I still won't be surprised to see some more mixed consists there.   It is different in that the 2200s weren't ADA accessible so each 2200 series pair had to have a 2600 series pair coupled with them.  

Correction broham 2200 you mean had to have a pair of 2600 hooked up to them you had said 3200 I corrected for you not bashing your or nothing tho 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Shannon CVPI said:

Correction broham 2200 you mean had to have a pair of 2600 hooked up to them you had said 3200 I corrected for you not bashing your or nothing tho 

My post was correct.   In the first part I mentioned a mixed consist on the BROWN LINE with 6 3200 series cars and 2 2600s.   Then I mentioned the 2200s on the Blue Line that were belly cars attached to the 2600s.  I was saying the Brown Line might not be able to make the 2600s belly cars due to lack of space at Kimball Yard.   The only reason 2200s were belly cars was the fact that the 2200s were not ADA accessible. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, artthouwill said:

My post was correct.   In the first part I mentioned a mixed consist on the BROWN LINE with 6 3200 series cars and 2 2600s.   Then I mentioned the 2200s on the Blue Line that were belly cars attached to the 2600s.  I was saying the Brown Line might not be able to make the 2600s belly cars due to lack of space at Kimball Yard.   The only reason 2200s were belly cars was the fact that the 2200s were not ADA accessible. 

Oh see I thought you was saying the 3200's was hooked up with the 2200's mybad broham & I remember those days seeing em on the blue or like if it ran 4 cars or a be a pair of 2200's as the last 2 cars or the first 2 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/29/2020 at 2:54 PM, CTA5750 said:

So whatever happened to this so called commitment CTA made a long time ago of having a 100 percent compatible rail car fleet?  Wasant this is one of the main reasons the Skokie Swift was converted to third rail?  Makes no sense at all  

I agree and me personally it would've been nice to see a new family fleet of cars starting with the 5000 and 7000 series being compatible with each other. Hopefully the cars after the 7000's arrive will be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/29/2020 at 2:54 PM, CTA5750 said:

So whatever happened to this so called commitment CTA made a long time ago of having a 100 percent compatible rail car fleet?  Wasant this is one of the main reasons the Skokie Swift was converted to third rail?  Makes no sense at all  

Lets be real though. Cta HAS been trying to fix mistakes but i takes experiementation. Look at the bus issue we bought 100 artics to increase capacity just to realize artics made scheduling worse so its not favoritism. Just reestablishing resources where they work best

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/29/2020 at 2:54 PM, CTA5750 said:

So whatever happened to this so called commitment CTA made a long time ago of having a 100 percent compatible rail car fleet?  Wasant this is one of the main reasons the Skokie Swift was converted to third rail?  Makes no sense at all  

Remember CTA initially wanted the 5000s to be compatible with the 3200s, but no railcar builder was building d/c cars.   

When CTA initially put out RFPS for the 7000s, they were supposed to be compatible with the 5000s.  Only Bombardier could/would fulfill that requirement.   Add to that Rahm's secret deal to build a Bombardier railcar plant got exposed,  CTA had no choice but to remove the compatibility requirements to give other manufacturers a fair shot.  Add to that that technology has changed over the past decade,  it's nearly impossible for the 7000s to be compatible with the 5000s, even if Bombardier had won the contract. 

Your Only hope for a 100% compatible fleet is for the Chinese to get another CTA rail contract within the next few years.   I don't think the 5000s are due for retirement before 2034.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Blue Line 3200s: 3201-3203, 3207-3213, 3217-3227, 3231-3233, 3237-3261, 3265, 3271-3281, 3287, 3293, 3299-3303, 3307-3309, 3315-3319, 3327-3335, 3341-48, 3353, 3357, 3365, 3381, 3395, 3407-3411, and 3421-3429

Brown Line 2600s: 2601, 2607, 2611, 2627, 2663, 2671, 2677, 2751, 2767, 2777, 2853, 2885, 2989, 3015-3017, 3027, 3037, 3063, 3079, 3105, 3111, 3119, 3141, and 3183  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, garmon757 said:

Blue Line 3200s: 3201-3203, 3207-32133217-3227, 3231-32333237-3261, 3265, 3271-3281, 3287, 3293, 3299-3303, 3307-3309, 3315-3319, 3327-3335, 3341-48, 3353, 3357, 3365, 3381, 3395, 3407-3411, and 3421-3429

Brown Line 2600s: 2601, 2607, 2611, 2627, 2663, 2671, 2677, 2751, 2767, 2777, 2853, 2885, 2989, 3015-3017, 3027, 3037, 3063, 3079, 3105, 3111, 3119, 3141, and 3183  

 

i hope this list is made in better corrections cuz u just put car numbers instead of a 2 car consist (ex: 3105, 3111) it should be (ex: 3105-3106,  2771-2772)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

i hope this list is made in better corrections cuz u just put car numbers instead of a 2 car consist (ex: 3105, 3111) it should be (ex: 3105-3106,  2771-2772)

Either

A.  To save time typing, he only put the A car number in assuming we would know the mate that went with it or

B.  Some of the cars aren't mated with their proper mates due to retirement,  accidents. etc.

I think A is the best answer. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, garmon757 said:

Blue Line 3200s: 3201-3203, 3207-32133217-3227, 3231-32333237-3261, 3265, 3271-3281, 3287, 3293, 3299-3303, 3307-3309, 3315-3319, 3327-3335, 3341-48, 3353, 3357, 3365, 3381, 3395, 3407-3411, and 3421-3429

Brown Line 2600s: 2601, 2607, 2611, 2627, 2663, 2671, 2677, 2751, 2767, 2777, 2853, 2885, 2989, 3015-3017, 3027, 3037, 3063, 3079, 3105, 3111, 3119, 3141, and 3183  

 

didn’t 3111 catch fire at forest park or is it back in service on brown line?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

So what is that 130 3200s? That half of them

So far I guess.  But if Blue initially had 96 and are slated to get 50 more  than totals 144, which will total more than half.  I wouldn't even be surprised if all of them minus the roofboard cars wound up on the Blue Line. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

So far I guess.  But if Blue initially had 96 and are slated to get 50 more  than totals 144, which will total more than half.  I wouldn't even be surprised if all of them minus the roofboard cars wound up on the Blue Line. 

blue in total suppose to already have 145+ 3200’s while they still got 200+ 2600’s 

unless the move is still in progress hopefully 3457-3458 end up on blue

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, artthouwill said:

So far I guess.  But if Blue initially had 96 and are slated to get 50 more  than totals 144, which will total more than half.  I wouldn't even be surprised if all of them minus the roofboard cars wound up on the Blue Line. 

In time like I say blue is probably getting new cars last anyway

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/21/2019 at 9:49 PM, chicagocubs6323 said:

Not necessarily.  If substation work is finished on time, 7000s will go on the Blue.  I still have doubts of that, however, because of how bad the Congress branch is. 

CTA would not put 5000s on the Blue Line for this reason as well because it will damage the suspension.  The 5000s weigh more than the 2600s & 3200s and running them constantly can worsen the already terrible track conditions along the Ike.  

My smartest prediction is that Brown could get 7000s 1st and send more 3200s to Blue.  I'm not saying it will happen but that's just what I think could happen if CTA decides to hold it cause of much in bad condition the Congress line is.

It seems my prediction from back in May is slowly coming true.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

blue in total suppose to already have 145+ 3200’s while they still got 200+ 2600’s 

unless the move is still in progress hopefully 3457-3458 end up on blue

I doubt it 3457-8 end up on the blue they still got roof boards on em & cta don't wanna pay 1 of the guys in the shop to take it off

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Shannon CVPI said:

I doubt it 3457-8 end up on the blue they still got roof boards on em & cta don't wanna pay 1 of the guys in the shop to take it off

3445-3456 are the cars with roof boards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, busfan2847 said:

3445-3456 are the cars with roof boards.

You definitely right bet thanks for the correction cuz I just saw 3457 when I was downtown for traffic court the other day 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Shannon CVPI said:

I doubt it 3457-8 end up on the blue they still got roof boards on em & cta don't wanna pay 1 of the guys in the shop to take it off

3445-3456 (roofboards) 3457-3458 no roofboards

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

3445-3456 (roofboards) 3457-3458 no roofboards

To add to that, 3351 is permanently mis-mated to 3448, but only the latter has roof boards. Don't know what happened to 3352 or 3447.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, WCR said:

To add to that, 3351 is permanently mis-mated to 3448, but only the latter has roof boards. Don't know what happened to 3352 or 3447.

Aw 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/31/2020 at 8:44 PM, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

didn’t 3111 catch fire at forest park or is it back in service on brown line?

Yes it did. It’s currently at Skokie Shops. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...