Pace responds to CTA's "Crowd Reduction Plan"

jesi2282

Again I'm NOT saying it's undoable guys. But it's not going to be headache free either. I'm picturing say the height of any rush hour and you have nothing but artics in that inner berthing area that are theoretically just loading passengers up and going. So that's an artic pulling out every few minutes theoretically if the interval isn't smaller. Just from that part of it alone you're going to have a bottleneck down there. Add in artics negotiating a turn that's of similar tightness as say that which northbound 136's and 147's make their way around from Foster onto Sheridan due to Sheridan squeezing inward just to the north of the intersection if you're looking south into that intersection. Foster backs up leading into Sheridan due in large part to the large volume of traffic that comes from the Drive merging from two lanes down to one. Now the 136 and 147 obviously both make it through that turn but when you that situation where an operator wants to merge his bus left to make sure he has enough space to swing that turn, you do see some impact on what's already a bottleneck. You're sure to have some of what happens at the Foster and Sheridan intersection down at 95th. And you still have to add in that if southbound shuttles are pulling into the terminal from State Street per Sam's mention of the PowerPoint, those shuttles also have to use the bus bridge to even get into position in the inner berthing area on the LaFayette side of the terminal. So like I said it's going to be an interesting time with those 95th shuttles, both the local ones between 63rd and 95th and the express ones that will go to Garfield. So it's going to be an interesting time at 95th terminal with the shuttles like I said.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AFAIK, that might be when the 755/855 express "realignment" is starting (I don't think it's a pick issue).

I would assume a pick issue, since there isn't any connection between Heritage and South unless some bus swap is contemplated, in which case the new service would not take precedence. But I'm not in South garage.

I would assume a pick issue, since there isn't any connection between Heritage and South unless some bus swap is contemplated, in which case the new service would not take precedence. But I'm not in South garage.

You might be right, although they might be going to pick independently from the rest of the garages*, if when the June pick comes about.

*I don't think Heritage and South would do a swap, but considering the 6385's, I would be surprised if they did.

• 2 weeks later...

353 schedule is up (seems belatedly). Seems like the two trips starting at 136th are done, and that there is more morning service from River Oaks covering for them.

I noticed they haven't updated the printable map link, but the first link to combined map and schedule info shows the updated reroute to 103rd/Stony Island terminal in front of 103rd garage.

For whatever reason the link you have is the old schedule.this is the right one.

http://www.pacebus.com/pdf/full/353back.pdf

They are different links, but both have the same last revision date in the lower right corner: 031813. That was what I was checking before I posted.

By posting only the back, you left out the Sunday schedule.

I noticed they haven't updated the printable map link, but the first link to combined map and schedule info shows the updated reroute to 103rd/Stony Island terminal in front of 103rd garage.

Again, I'm not sure when you clicked, but that link now has a last revision date of 031913, Effective Date of May 5, and timepoint 2 at 103rd.

Update: I was told about 14 years ago by Pace staff that sometimes you have to use the reload button on your browser if you don't clear your history (that was when the yellow 364 schedule came out). I have Firefox (actually Waterfox 64 bit) set to clear history when it closes.

• 5 months later...

Schedules and maps are up for 924 and 925, although they are the same documents for both routes.

A notice is now up that routes 924 and 925 will be cancelled with the last trip Nov. 22. Why they are running them an extra month is beyond me (except maybe they didn't trust the Oct. 20 date, by saying in the notice that the Red Line was supposed to be back in "late October").

A notice is now up that routes 924 and 925 will be cancelled with the last trip Nov. 22. Why they are running them an extra month is beyond me (except maybe they didn't trust the Oct. 20 date, by saying in the notice that the Red Line was supposed to be back in "late October").

The CTA does have a habit of not fixing stuff right the first time.

• Upvote 2

True, but that doesn't seem to have anything to do with whether the Red Line will reopen on Oct. 20.

TO get back to the 924 and 925 route.I don't want to speculate.The only thing i can think of the Nov dates is when they had the bids go out for the routes.They wanted to be save if the CTA miss there date.

Maybe it's just Pace trying to give its customers extra time to get used to the transition back. After all if memory serves correctly they started those routes and the 353 routing into the 103rd/Stony Island terminal on May 6, just under two weeks before CTA shut down the Red Line's Dan Ryan leg. Did anyone take that as meaning CTA wouldn't start the project on time?

Maybe it's just Pace trying to give its customers extra time to get used to the transition back. After all if memory serves correctly they started those routes and the 353 routing into the 103rd/Stony Island terminal on May 6, just under two weeks before CTA shut down the Red Line's Dan Ryan leg. Did anyone take that as meaning CTA wouldn't start the project on time?

As art indicates, probably the pick.

It is one thing to tell riders to get used to an upcoming disruption in service. I'm sure it is far less to post a sign a week in advance saying that service is returning to normal, especially since it only involves two transit centers and one Roosevelt posted stop saying to take the 352 or 359 bus to 95th.

As art indicates, probably the pick.

It is one thing to tell riders to get used to an upcoming disruption in service. I'm sure it is far less to post a sign a week in advance saying that service is returning to normal, especially since it only involves two transit centers and one Roosevelt posted stop saying to take the 352 or 359 bus to 95th.

Moreso the pick alongside the transition. It is the same with any project closeout. Can't just yank the service immediately after. Things take time. In this case, ride out the pick.

TO get back to the 924 and 925 route.I don't want to speculate.The only thing i can think of the Nov dates is when they had the bids go out for the routes.They wanted to be save if the CTA miss there date.

Not really. Even if the project got done late, there's still a buffer in the event that people are still on either of the routes.