2400s on the Orange Line

BusHunter

Today as I was doing the 6 I saw an Orange Line train consist of 24 and 3200's and I gotta say it's weird seeing those series trained together but cool it was a 8 car with th 2400's being the belly cars and the 32's of course were on the ends. I'm glad they're on the Orange Line and that they mix them together it reminds when when I was a kid and I saw the different series of cars trained together, for the exception of the 6000's of course lol.

Today as I was doing the 6 I saw an Orange Line train consist of 24 and 3200's and I gotta say it's weird seeing those series trained together but cool it was a 8 car with th 2400's being the belly cars and the 32's of course were on the ends. I'm glad they're on the Orange Line and that they mix them together it reminds when when I was a kid and I saw the different series of cars trained together, for the exception of the 6000's of course lol.

I think they do it that way because of the 2 different control types for the 2 different series of cars. Some operators may never have operated a train that has the controls of the 2400s/2600s, so that's why the 2400s are in the middle with the 3200s on end. Just my 2 cents.

I think they do it that way because of the 2 different control types for the 2 different series of cars. Some operators may never have operated a train that has the controls of the 2400s/2600s, so that's why the 2400s are in the middle with the 3200s on end. Just my 2 cents.

I think they do it using the same logic for putting the 2200s in the middle of the sets on the Blue Line. Metra puts its oldest cars in the middle of the pack. Its not that the 2400s can't lead (they're on the Purple and Green Lines), but why have your oldest cars lead when they don't have to? IMO, even though the Orange Line operators are used to operating with the Cineston controls, I'm sure they've been trained on the other ones as well.

There have been solid consists of 2400s on Orange, lest anyone question an Orange Line operator's ability to operate something other than 3200s.

Personally, I don't see what difference it makes whether old cars are "leaders" or in the middle. The only reason Blue Line 2200s stay in the middle of the consist is for ADA reasons.

Otherwise, forcing certain types into the middle and not on the ends really must make life hell for the folks in the yards trying to put trains together.

... Metra puts its oldest cars in the middle of the pack...

Not at all true. Metra consists are basically arranged for placement of the ADA car, which would be the 3rd car (4th on consists of 8 cars or more)from the engine on the Milwaukee and Southwest, 2nd car from the engine on the Rock Island, (I believe) 2nd or 3 car on the BNSF and cab car on the UP. After that, ADA cars are strung together to accomodate (the silly) the number of bikes allowed on each line. Therefore, you will usually have 3 or 4 ADA cars strung together for that reason. On the UP, if there are older cars, they are usually behind the engine so that if they are not needed, they are the cars not used...there is no particular place to put older equipment on the Metra owned lines...they are sprinkled throughout the consists. (1st 2 pics are Milwaukee Consists, BNSF then UP)

post-17-13562252130842_thumb.jpg

post-17-135622529392_thumb.jpg

post-17-13562253411666_thumb.jpg

post-17-1356225396092_thumb.jpg

There have been solid consists of 2400s on Orange, lest anyone question an Orange Line operator's ability to operate something other than 3200s.

Personally, I don't see what difference it makes whether old cars are "leaders" or in the middle. The only reason Blue Line 2200s stay in the middle of the consist is for ADA reasons.

Otherwise, forcing certain types into the middle and not on the ends really must make life hell for the folks in the yards trying to put trains together.

As far as them putting the 2200's in the middle because of ADA reasons what the difference when they run 4cars on the Blue Line and the 22's are the lead cars?? If they Use them as lead cars on weekends why not do the same durning week days as well cause either way as long as they're in consist with a 2600 series it shouldn't be much of a problem right?

• 2 weeks later...

This morning while riding Purple Line run #501 south of Adams and Wabash and turning toward Library/State/Van Buren I saw a Brown Line train signed for Kimball northbound on Wabash south of the Van Buren junction. It seemed to be lead by 3200s with up to 6 2400s behind. It was dark so I could be wrong on the consist.

Gene King

When I first starting seeing them, the 2400s were in their own consists on the Orange Line. Lately, I've seen them train with the 3200s, usually with 4 cars being 2400s and 4 3200s, sometimes 6 3200s and 2 2400s.

I think it's pretty cool to see the 2400's on the Orange Line and also cool when they're trained with the 3200 it's not something you see a lot. I would love to see the 2200's trained with the 24's or the 22's and 32's would look pretty cool as well. But back to what I was 1st saying its good to see the old 24's on the Orange Line. That probably explains why I don't see them as much on the Red Line like I was a few weeks ago.

This morning while riding Purple Line run #501 south of Adams and Wabash and turning toward Library/State/Van Buren I saw a Brown Line train signed for Kimball northbound on Wabash south of the Van Buren junction. It seemed to be lead by 3200s with up to 6 2400s behind. It was dark so I could be wrong on the consist.

Gene King

There are 5 runs out of Midway that do a through trip to Kimball and back in the AM on Weekdays only. 705,708,701,711,& 702. There are 24 runs during the week on the Orange Line now. There used to be only 20 last pick, so naturally more cars are required this pick and those happen to be 2400s.

• Upvote 2

At least the 2013 Historical Calendar now acknowledges it:

In October 2012, a few dozen cars were assigned to the Orange Line, to provide additional cars for increased rush period service on the Orange and Brown lines. As the CTA takes delivery of its newest 5000-series cars, all 2400-series cars will gradually be retired.

It's just you.

But it depends if you see more 5000s or anything else on the Red Line.

Yeah I have noticed more 5000's on the Red Line I even saw a few 5170's as well but still less of the 2400's. Just not too long ago I would see a 8car train consist of 4 2400 and 4 2600's pretty much every other train but now it's like i see either a train of 5k's or a train of 2600's.

Yeah I have noticed more 5000's on the Red Line I even saw a few 5170's as well but still less of the 2400's. Just not too long ago I would see a 8car train consist of 4 2400 and 4 2600's pretty much every other train but now it's like i see either a train of 5k's or a train of 2600's.

I'm seeing the same way as you, I barely seen any 2400s on Red line in last weeks but I've seeing more Ex-Blue Line 2600s (higher 3100s/ higher 3000s), plus saw 3185-86 with Purple Line map inside on the Red. I was thinking that maybe they've send some 2400s from Red back to Purple, plus some Ex-Greens to Purple as well, because I barely seeing any 2600s on Purple in last couple weeks. That could explains our answer.

It wasn't just you. I've noticed the same. From what I've been seeing far less weekday Red Line trains have had 2400s in a consist but I have been seeing some weekend trains with at least two 2400 series cars. In place of trains with 2400s, I've been seeing different Red Line runs using 5000s. On the flip side, the Purple Line has gone back to using 2400s more than they had with less usage of 2600 series cars. Where in recent months we had been seeing Purple Line trains with full consists of 2600s at times, now it's reverted back to there being a lot of the trains being full consists of 2400s. As for the Orange Line, I still haven't had the luck of seeing a train that had 2400s in a consist. Even after three months those sightings still seem to be infrequent outside of the sightings members have reported seeing mainly in rush hour periods.

It wasn't just you. I've noticed the same. From what I've been seeing far less weekday Red Line trains have had 2400s in a consist but I have been seeing some weekend trains with at least two 2400 series cars. In place of trains with 2400s, I've been seeing different Red Line runs using 5000s. On the flip side, the Purple Line has gone back to using 2400s more than they had with less usage of 2600 series cars. Where in recent months we had been seeing Purple Line trains with full consists of 2600s at times, now it's reverted back to there being a lot of the trains being full consists of 2400s. As for the Orange Line, I still haven't had the luck of seeing a train that had 2400s in a consist. Even after three months those sightings still seem to be infrequent outside of the sightings members have reported seeing mainly in rush hour periods.

Yes, the #2600's that were on purple went to red and the #2400's on red went to purple. Of course, their still borrowing off each other. So you might see #2600's on Purple or a #2400 on Red. Just look at the "L" roster thread. It's been updated.

Yes, the #2600's that were on purple went to red and the #2400's on red went to purple. Of course, their still borrowing off each other. So you might see #2600's on Purple or a #2400 on Red. Just look at the "L" roster thread. It's been updated.

While playing this game of tin can chess, one also has to figure that there should now be enough 5000s to get the 2400s off the Green Line, thus resulting in these other moves. In fact, is that the case?

While playing this game of tin can chess, one also has to figure that there should now be enough 5000s to get the 2400s off the Green Line, thus resulting in these other moves. In fact, is that the case?

Yes, but then you would have less #5000's on the Red line. Since their not in a hurry to retire anything, I think the idea is to keep a few of the older cars around on existing lines. That's why there's some on Orange and Green. For fleet expansion, which they may have needed for the Dec increase in service. When the time comes, I wonder if the Red line will have all #5000's. The trend would seem to indicate not. If so, that may indicate that #5000's may end up on all lines, which makes more sense, than to put all the older cars on one or two lines.

Yes, but then you would have less #5000's on the Red line. Since their not in a hurry to retire anything, I think the idea is to keep a few of the older cars around on existing lines. That's why there's some on Orange and Green. For fleet expansion, which they may have needed for the Dec increase in service. When the time comes, I wonder if the Red line will have all #5000's. The trend would seem to indicate not. If so, that may indicate that #5000's may end up on all lines, which makes more sense, than to put all the older cars on one or two lines.

Orange is explained by the Brownage, beefed up as a result of the Crowd Reduction Plan (according to "Fails the Turing").

On the other hand, since the 5000s aren't compatible with what precedes them, it doesn't make sense to perpetuate mixed service on any line, both for maintenance shop inventory reasons, and slowing up the lines if something breaks down, and can't be swapped out, but just pushed by the follower.

If were doing any betting, I would say that the word that the Yellow and Purple get them would be subject to modification. Also, the indication in the budget that the Blue would eventually run 100 2600s and I guess 120 rehabbed 3200s as 5000s, plus whatever else doesn't make any sense.

I take it, from your response, that there are still some 2400s on the Green, which was my question.

Orange is explained by the Brownage, beefed up as a result of the Crowd Reduction Plan (according to "Fails the Turing").

On the other hand, since the 5000s aren't compatible with what precedes them, it doesn't make sense to perpetuate mixed service on any line, both for maintenance shop inventory reasons, and slowing up the lines if something breaks down, and can't be swapped out, but just pushed by the follower.

If were doing any betting, I would say that the word that the Yellow and Purple get them would be subject to modification. Also, the indication in the budget that the Blue would eventually run 100 2600s and I guess 120 rehabbed 3200s as 5000s, plus whatever else doesn't make any sense.

I take it, from your response, that there are still some 2400s on the Green, which was my question.

Yes they're still 2400s on the Green Line. While there may be enough 5000s to push any remaining 2400s from the Green Line, it may not yet be enough to keep an adequate number on the Red Line. It's probably a safer bet to wait till there are at least a hundred more in place before one can say what's going to stay around longer and what's not. Yes it may argued that some older cars may stick around longer until after the Dan Ryan portion of the Red Line has repairs completed in the later part of this year, but I'm willing to bet that not as many 2600s will be taken out of service as CTA was making out when all is said and done. The 2200s and 2400s? Yes it's probably still safe to say those will be gone by the time of deliver of the 705th and 706th 5000 series rail cars.

• 1 month later...

When they start doing the 3200 Rehabs, whether it's a convert to A/C and add LED signs, keep them D/C and add LED signs, or just rebuild the D/C motors and keep the Mylar Roll Curtains, one question comes to mind about mismatched unit 3457-3458. Since 3458 is a 2600-Series railcar(ex-3032), will they just retire this pair? Another thought is the currently out of service(and possibly retired) 3351-3352. Are both units too damaged to repair, or is one salvagable enough to be re-entered into service to pair with 3457(3457-3351 or 3457-3352)?

post-10-0-59862900-1361597779_thumb.jpg