2400s on the Orange Line

BusHunter

When they start doing the 3200 Rehabs, whether it's a convert to A/C and add LED signs, keep them D/C and add LED signs, or just rebuild the D/C motors and keep the Mylar Roll Curtains, one question comes to mind about mismatched unit 3457-3458. Since 3458 is a 2600-Series railcar(ex-3032), will they just retire this pair? Another thought is the currently out of service(and possibly retired) 3351-3352. Are both units too damaged to repair, or is one salvagable enough to be re-entered into service to pair with 3457(3457-3351 or 3457-3352)?

With the announcement for bids on the new 7000-series cars, it is now very unlikely that the 3200-series cars will receive any rehab at all whatsoever. In fact, they will be phased into retirement as soon as enough 7000-series cars are delivered.

With the announcement for bids on the new 7000-series cars, it is now very unlikely that the 3200-series cars will receive any rehab at all whatsoever. In fact, they will be phased into retirement as soon as enough 7000-series cars are delivered.

But with the time table of any 7000-series coming in far enough down the road that any significant number of 3200s wouldn't likely be gone before their 30th year in service, just under another decade from today, would they last that long without having some type of work done? And this takes into my agreement that any type of work done on them wouldn't be on the scale of converting how they draw power from the third rails.

But with the time table of any 7000-series coming in far enough down the road that any significant number of 3200s wouldn't likely be gone before their 30th year in service, just under another decade from today, would they last that long without having some type of work done? And this takes into my agreement that any type of work done on them wouldn't be on the scale of converting how they draw power from the third rails.

What I meant was there was and there won't be any "mid-life" rehab whatsoever (per se) for the 3200s. They have likely gone through what's called a "C" (three-quarters-life) mini-overhaul. Thus, if any rehab on the 3200s at all is performed, it would likely be a "life-extending" overhaul similar to what has been performed on the 2200s and 2400s after they've been in service for over 30 years.

What I meant was there was and there won't be any "mid-life" rehab whatsoever (per se) for the 3200s. They have likely gone through what's called a "C" (three-quarters-life) mini-overhaul. Thus, if any rehab on the 3200s at all is performed, it would likely be a "life-extending" overhaul similar to what has been performed on the 2200s and 2400s after they've been in service for over 30 years.

The budget said there would be a rehab of #3200's with new LED signs. Probably what won't get rehabbed is the #2600's as most are on the way out in a couple years and the rest a few years after that. But first they have to get past the bid process on #7000's. IIRC, the #5000 series, then dubbed the #3500 series was in the bid process since 2003 and they just got those in 2009 then they tested those for over 2 years.

The budget said there would be a rehab of #3200's with new LED signs. Probably what won't get rehabbed is the #2600's as most are on the way out in a couple years and the rest a few years after that. But first they have to get past the bid process on #7000's. IIRC, the #5000 series, then dubbed the #3500 series was in the bid process since 2003 and they just got those in 2009 then they tested those for over 2 years.

Bombidiar have a pretty big advantage, and incentive to underbid. IF the CTA moves at the planned rate, the 5000 line will barely be cold by the time the 7000 contract gets awarded. With a workforce, and a big supply chain already lined up, they should make the dates.

Now, if the contract goes to someone else, the dates are a lot more optomistic. But I think the chances are very low.

Personally, I think the 3200's should remain with Mylar Curtains. That will make them the last of the CTA railcars with these(something IRM might want to have when the 3200's start retirement around 2016-2018). But to get back on the subject of 3457-3458, does that mean that this unit will be retired(3457 namely, as 3458 will be retired most likely by 2015 at the latest as it is a 1985 Budd railcar). And if not, will 3351-3352 be split and one repaired from it's derailment damage and paired with 3457 making a 3200 mis-matched pair, or perhaps a brand new 3458, so to speak.

• 1 month later...

I don't know if it is just me, but it seems like the 2400-series cars are being held in the yards more than ever lately. The Purple Line has been running up to 3 rush hour runs with Red Line 2600-series cars even though there are more than enough cars currently assigned to the route. The Green Line has been running less 2400-series trains now that more 5000-series cars are being assigned to it. I've noticed some cars like 2575-2576 and 2573-2574 sitting in the same spot in the Howard yard for close to a month. What gives?

I don't know if it is just me, but it seems like the 2400-series cars are being held in the yards more than ever lately. The Purple Line has been running up to 3 rush hour runs with Red Line 2600-series cars even though there are more than enough cars currently assigned to the route. The Green Line has been running less 2400-series trains now that more 5000-series cars are being assigned to it. I've noticed some cars like 2575-2576 and 2573-2574 sitting in the same spot in the Howard yard for close to a month. What gives?

On the Green Line, they're running all 5000s a lot every day and weekends. I haven't seen 2400s running on the Green Line. But, I have mention before that I did seen car #2499-2500 on the Purple Line. In front of that car was a white empty sign and the head lights were green as a Green Line train and on the sides were read "Linden" on them. My guess is they have transfer all 2400s from the Green Line to the Purple Line.